Author Topic: It is Realisophie! TARA 2 Racer  (Read 142294 times)

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: It is Realisophie! TARA 2 Racer
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
Merry Christmas to you Peaches.... you're the best
 :cmas22

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Happy (Western & Lunar) New Year
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »
Hi everyone!!!

Gosh is January gone and February really almost over? Can't believe it!

I've been smack busy since my last exam, Christmas, New Year, and now even Lunar New Year has passed.
Wishing all Chinese friends KUNG HEI FAT CHOY!!!

I'm so exhausted..... I have been working all this time, tiny breaks here and there.... Chinese New Year in Singapore.... which was FANTASTIC... the last time I was back there for a few days was after the race. I had such a great time and I miss the food already!

I HAVE NEWS! I have been selected to head on an educational/ scientific expedition to Antarctica! Yes the South Pole!
I can't believe it. So the madness has began, preparation and oh all that glorious paperwork! But it's Antarctica!!!
Someone pinch me, or when I'm finally there... someone give me a warm hug!

More updates coming soon.....
I will also post before I leave (hopefully)...... the address of the blog where you can follow my icy journeys.

xoxo Sophie

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
ANTARCTICA!!?? 

Take ME!!!   :luvu:

Congrats Sophie!! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Antarctica
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
Hi everyone

It's been a speed train since I've been back from Antarctica!

Between that and my exams, I had been to Micronesia for underwater filmmaking and a little celebration.

I will come back with more updates early June from my trips. I haven't had any time to sort out all my photos yet, but in the meantime, here is a little taste of ice ice baby.....

p.s. Thanks to North Face for sponsoring my clothes and gear!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:40:19 AM by realisophie »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
OMG! ANTARTICA!  :wohoo:

Thanks for sharing your expedition, Sophie! I LOVE IT!  :waves:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
This is GREAT!! Thanks for sharing!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »
More, more, more Antarctica, please!! Sounds  and looks like a wonderful experience!

Thanks Sophie! Always wonderful to hear how you are. :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Antarctica
« Reply #257 on: May 11, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
THANKS everyone  :hearts:

Yes it was beyond wonderful and a lifetime dream come true! I hope I'll get to go back soon.
It has changed a lot of how I look at the environment and I have a lot of questions I need to ask myself about what I'm going to do next.
I will post more photos soon..... have a few weeks more to struggle for school before summer. It's even more intensive now because I was away for so many months. But life is good.

Speak soon!  :tup:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #258 on: May 11, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
Thanks for showing us Sophie! :hearts:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Antarctic Experience published in Local HK Paper
« Reply #259 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:57 AM »
Hi everyone

I was interviewed a month ago and my Antarctic experience has been published in the local HK paper this week. You can check it out at

Thanks
Sophie
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:48:16 PM by realisophie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #260 on: July 15, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
Oh how WONDERFUL Sophie!! That is awesome and you are truly making a difference!! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #261 on: July 16, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »
Hi everyone

I was interviewed a month ago and my Antarctic experience has been published in the local HK paper this week. You can check it out at

http://www.yp.scmp.com/home/website/article.aspx?id=2131&section=Hong+Kong+News

Please help spread the word on a scientific network to be launched soon at www.greenerworks.org

Thanks
Sophie

What a wonderful opportunity! Congratulations Sophie!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Antarctica
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2010, 06:49:37 AM »
Thanks everyone  :hearts:

I'm in the midst of tonnes of research, paperwork, applications and planning for some school visits.

During the school visits I will talk about my experience in Antarctica, but I will not be "promoting" people to go there because this will be counteracting our message of preserving the last wilderness on Earth. Instead I will use my expedition as an example of reaching for your dreams, with an environmental twist of course  :lol:

More soon when I get more details sorted  ;)

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: What a year!!!
« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
Hi everyone

What a year!
Today is the first day I'm officially free from any events, any deadlines..... since Feb! Can you believe that?!

I can't believe it's almost Christmas and my tree arrived a few days ago.... the best tree we've had in years because we decided to buy from a local nursery instead of the usual Ikea convenience.

I also can't believe how much I've gotten done these few months…. I had my first expedition to Antarctica…. Finally finished School, exams, research projects, conference, events….. more exams… launched the starting framework of an educational network…. all in less than a year. However, I still look around at my accomplished friends and they strive me to do better!

It's the end of the year and that time to reflect on 2010 and make resolutions for 2011. One of the things I just cannot stop to think about how I need to move forward in my life…… is when you see your friends get married and have babies. BUT I’m in no hurry to get married (just a piece of paper anyway), even though I feel like I have been these few years.

One of my friends from high school who lives in Canada now, has beautiful twin babies (perfect one boy one girl), I can’t stop looking at their photos and videos on Facebook. You know, some babies look extra extra happy, you’ll know what I’m talking about if you have seen extra happy bubbling babies, and they have the biggest smiles ever! Another friend I’ve been trying to visit in the last decade, YES decade, lives in Stockholm. I can’t believe she also has a beautiful baby girl, named Una. It’s my first New Year resolution to visit them in Sweden in the first half of 2011. When I saw Una’s photo, I was overwhelmed! What a gorgeous name too! Reminds me of Uma Thurman. And then over the weekend, our Paula Taylor from TARA got married!!! She had a short engagement coz I haven’t even gotten over the fact that she was engaged, and then the next thing you know, she’s married. Congrats to her! She looked like the perfect image of a fairytale princess… and so so happy. It’s wonderful to see all your gal-friends happy and contented with life.

As for me, I’m working on making my dream job in 2011 work out, if everything works out, I will start doing a blog on my website, (and also this one)…. Perhaps I will finally figure out what on earth is Twittering about…. Although I really don’t like to get on my mobile very much.

Okay so if I start enjoying my freedom too much and don’t get online until next year…. Please know that I’m wishing everyone happiness, peace, freedom and wonderful family vacations this holiday!!!  

Xoxo Sophie  :hearts:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:49:13 PM by realisophie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Love you Sophie!!

It is always wonderful to hear your news!

Congratulations to you, and wishing you much joy on your next adventure!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:01 AM »
THanks Peaches!!!  :jumpy:

More updates soon.....

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2010, 03:49:29 AM »
Hi, Sophie! It's great good hear your news!!
Congrats!! Wishing your taking your journey on your next adventure!!
 :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #267 on: December 12, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
A lot of hard work ahead..... Thanks so much
 :xmas146

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Earth Day 2011
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »
Hi everyone

Is it already mid May!!!!
Oh my gosh...... how time flies.......

I have just gotten home after 3 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia....

In thailand I had to do some guest presentations for students..... doing a live presentation is almost like being a 1-hit wonder.... and unlike previous gigs, this was the first time I would have to return to the same school and do a couple more times to a different age group, so every time had to be good.

Everyone was really nice, met people I would never have crossed paths with either-wise and it was definitely a great learning experience for me. Each live show was like another and another chance to get better and better.... and more confident and prepared for any changes or questions that may be thrown to me.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:50:36 PM by realisophie »

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Supporting Charity
« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
I'm very proud to announce the first charity to be added to my network....

It's very important to me that I physically know the people behind the charity and have seen their facilities for myself.

My first charity is the Rainbow House in Thailand, which rehabilitates disabled children from poor families for over 20 years.
It's a family run business and they depend a lot on volunteers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:49:09 PM by realisophie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
Thanks for all the updates Sophie!!

Always wonderful to hear about your latest adventures!!

:ihrtu
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: My travel blog
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
Thanks Peaches......

More stories taken from my travel blog

Hi everyone

Is May seriously coming to a close?! How times flies. Alas, I meant to put in this entry much earlier.

I have just gotten home after 3 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia. What a great road trip!

In Thailand I felt very privileged to have been invited to do some guest presentations for students from grade 5 to senior high school, leading up to Earth Day 2011. Doing a live presentation is like being a 1-hit wonder every single time!

Everyone was really nice, I met people I would never have crossed paths with either wise and it was definitely a great learning experience for me. I’m usually very, very concentrated before I’m on, but once I'm up on that stage, I'm just doing what I love to do and talking about matters I'm passionate about. So all my nerves melt away and I'm just living in that moment. I suppose it’s also that excitement and intensity I experience days before each event that keeps my adrenalin going and I love every minute of it!

More details about Earth Day 2011:

What goes around, comes around

I'm very proud to announce the first charity to be added into the greenerworks network- Rainbow House in Bangkok, Thailand. A few more charities will be included in the list as time goes by. The reason we are taking some time to choose our charities very closely is because we want to physically visit each location, view their facilities and get to know how they work.

It's very important to me that I physically know the people behind the charities and have seen their facilities for myself. This makes more sense to me when I’m helping to raise awareness for their causes during my upcoming expeditions and fundraising activities.

Our first charity is the Rainbow House/ CCD, which has been rehabilitating disabled children from poor families for over 20 years. It's a family run business. The Chairman is Kun Wasan Saenwian, with his wife Kun Chariya Saenwian, daughter Charika (Tarn) Saenwian and groups of local and foreign volunteers they depend very much on. With over 500 kids, some visit the Rainbow Centre, many others still live in slums on the outskirts of the city, I really have no idea how they manage with only 5 physiotherapists most of them on a volunteer basis.

I was fortunate enough to meet some of the amazing people who work at the Rainbow House after giving a simple presentation because it’s important that these kids get to learn and experience life the same as any other student. I’m really glad when I found out Kun Wasan shared this same view as me. At first I have to admit that I wasn't sure if the kids really understood what was going on especially since what I was saying needed to be translated into Thai for them. But when they suddenly got up on their feet and mimicked each other to walk like a penguin, I was very relieved and grabbed my little camera on the table to capture the brief moment.  

When I was brought to the office by Kun Wasan and Kim (in the photo), the bubbly cute girl who put a red nose on me, Kun Chariya showed me a picture of the first boy who was adopted from the centre out of 38. His name is Pracha Sikhiow. Not only has he claimed the title of being the first adoptee but he has also become the first to graduate from college. He still lives with his adoptive Thai mum and American dad in Phuket, Thailand. Everyone was brimming with pride as they passed around the photo of Pracha standing in his graduation gown, with mum and dad by his side.

After my tour of the facilities, which included Kim showing me her classrooms and trying to bake something for me, I came to understand how the centre uses play-time, sensory methods and technology into their rehabilitation program. For a beautiful child like Kim, who has been getting treatment for her arm, the future is as bright as any child's. She is one of the lucky ones. Using programs like Skype has allowed her to interact with her future Irish parents. For a normal school, there is usually one curriculum that everyone has to go by, but here, it’s like every kid has to have a customised curriculum. During the Skype sessions, they show her where her new bedroom is, the toys just waiting for her to play with, and to create more opportunities for her to speak and learn English. Although I think Irish English is on a whole different level ha!

Next, we visit the boys making cloth mats and I get to see some of the amazing pictures of them from one of their magic performances pinned up on a notice board. On a normal workweek, they are in the workshop making mats for sale. And every Saturday, carrying their rice cooker to make lunch, they venture into the city centre to work at a tropical fish company packing fishes for export. Kun Wasan got them this job so that they would learn how to be independent, such as buying food from the market, cooking and travelling back and forth from the city centre.

Leaving the workshop, I was surprised to see a very lush green garden, perfectly maintained, with a rather new playground installed. Kun Wasan explained this was the favourite place of many of the kids especially when they felt sad or frustrated. He then told me a very inspiring story. Some time back, there was a young 18-year old British girl who volunteered at the centre for a few months. Upon returning home, she went on the game show ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire’ and actually won the top prize. So when the British media asked her what she was going to do with the money, she explained that she had just returned from Thailand and had a wonderful time at the Rainbow House. Shortly after, she contacted Kun Wasan and asked how she could continue to help. He asked her to help them acquire land to build the garden and that’s what she did. So they named it – Lydia’s Garden.

Lydia George is also the founder of 'FOR LIFE', the branch of CCD in the UK.  www.4lifethailand.org
For Life, UK was established in 2004 to support CCD. This charity raises funds, awareness of the plight of the disabled children and sends volunteer workers from the UK to Thailand.

If this story wasn’t enough to poke at my heartstrings, the next one really added to my heightened emotions. During lunch, while enjoying my home cooked egg omelette and beef stew, I was introduced to a very special Thai lady, Chaluay Potter. Like Pracha, she was very fortunate to have been adopted by loving Aussie parents and grew up in Perth with a perfect Aussie accent. The downside was she couldn’t speak Thai anymore but had started taking lessons. I couldn’t resist and asked her how the locals react to her not being able to speak Thai. She smiled and said it wasn’t too awkward, they get very confused that’s all. Having recently moved back to Bangkok with her Aussie fiancée, they are now both teachers at an international school. Once they get settled down, they will start to volunteer at the Rainbow House with plans to adopt a child after they are married. I'm guessing Chaluay must be in her early 20s, she looks very young, but her maturity is definitely beyond her years. I happened to meet her because she had to go back to the centre to seek help obtaining a replacement Thai ID, which was lost when her bag got stolen the week before. Besides being a little flustered about getting her ID back, she is a very spirited, enthusiastic and happy young woman. One of the many 'happy endings' the centre has created over the years.

When my cab came, I shook Kun Wasan’s hand covering his with both my hands and I told him I was truly honoured to have met him and his family at Rainbow House.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:04:46 PM by realisophie »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »
:hearts: Great read! Thanks for sharing it! :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »
Thanks Sophie!!

Where can we see your photos??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:02 PM »
Here are some pics and updated news from our first charity.....
 :hearts:

Great news! I'm so happy to have found out today that Kim's adoptive parents have arrived in Thailand and are staying at the Rainbow House with her. Some very moving pictures from their long-awaited arrival. Very soon Kim's adoption procedure will be complete and she can start her new life in Ireland. (the family is in the last pic)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:49:55 PM by realisophie »