Author Topic: It is Realisophie! TARA 2 Racer  (Read 142269 times)

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: It is Realisophie! TARA 2 Racer
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2008, 04:20:50 AM »
Happy Labour Day everyone!!!   :js:

I had a great, relaxing holiday. And I hope you had or are having one too!!!

Just a quick recap.... topics that I will update on this blog will be highlighted in BLUE so that it's more obvious when I do update entries I said I would  ;)

Thanks for catching up and keep reading!

p.s. about the drawing auction, it's still ON, but I have to set up an account for eBay US-version instead... because I found out I'm not the only one who's had problems with the HK site. Stay tuned! Thanks! Cheers...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:24:24 AM by realisophie »

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2008, 02:40:10 AM »
Quick note to apskip.... thanks for your kind reminder that Labor Day is in September in the US.

Fine by me to celebrate it twice

:js:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Experience the Olympics Spirit
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2008, 03:08:53 AM »
Hi everyone

Thanks for checking in on this blog over the last few months! Every time I log in, I'm amazed to see the increase of number count.

So what's been happening? Lots!
The city of Hong Kong has been buzzing since the torch relay in early May. Roads were shut down and nervous police put up extra precautions determined to make the event a smooth journey to the end. Crowds and crowds and crowds of people lined the streets in an attempt to catch just one glimpse of their favourite runner and then probably the torch too. You'll see what I mean by reading on.

I love the Olympics! It's one of the most powerful global events where you can witness individuals, teams all fighting for the same goal - to bring glory to their country. It's the biggest pride in the life of an athlete. My brother is a national runner and after watching him grow up in competitions, I truly admire the sportsmanship of athletes derived from years of discipline and ultimate perseverance.

In mentioning this, the torch relay is one of the most significant events of courage and acknowledgment for chosen athletes. It's the nation's time to shine. To me, it was most confusing in the light of Hong Kong's interpretation of the meaning of this event. I can't think (in my lifetime) of other Olympic years where the torch relay had SO many rich businessmen, popular Cantopop (a type of music genre in Chinese) singers, politicians, and did I mention rich businessmen? Okay one more time.... rich businessmen to emphasize my point. Well, the concept of this was said to represent the diversity of the people of Hong Kong. Hmm, and if so, where is the old lady who collects cardboard boxes for recycling, the store owner who sells the famous spicy meatballs, the Dai Pa Dong noodle seller and others... of which Hong Kong would not have its distinctive and multi-faceted favours.

This just shows to me more than ever, "______ rules the world"
I think you can fill in the blank.

Whatever it is, I’m so excited! This is the second time I'm in an Olympic country, the first was Australia.

To start the ball rolling, I had tickets to a Youth Olympic Concert on 5 May.... and took some short video clips of it. I'll see if it's possible to upload them on Youtube without any copyright issues. It's a free concert after all. The reason I'm posting this is because even though I'm living in Asia, I'm often amazed by the cultural distinctions within each city, even within the same country. Its people, fashion, culture, music are all very unique. So I want to share this with you.

Here are some photos of the concert.

"Speak" in a while....

Updated.... here is the video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_e2BJWMaI
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:24:42 AM by realisophie »

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Hong Kong Red Cross China Relief Fund
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »
Hi everyone

On a sad note.... Monday was a public holiday in Hong Kong.... The Buddha's Birthday. Unfortunately, there was not much mercy on the people in the Sichuan province. Just a few days ago (12 May 2008), an earthquake registering 7.9 on the Richter scale was measured in Sichuan, China. In just a few seconds, thousands of people were perished and the livelihood of many others in jeopardy. Please help.

If you are in Hong Kong over the Summer, or you live here. Please see below for directions on donations to the Hong Kong Red Cross to help relief efforts in China.

Thanks

香港紅十字會中國賑災金
Hong Kong Red Cross China Relief Fund

全港各7.11 便利店 (7-eleven stores in Hong Kong) *每次最低捐款為 (Minimum Donation) HK$100
可到全港830間7.11 便利店,以現金捐款。捐款時請註明捐予"香港紅十字會"。
Donate with cash through 7-eleven stores. You just simply indicate “Hong Kong Red Cross” as beneficiary organization.

網上捐款 Online Donation
閣下可登入此處,透過伺服器電子證書,以信用卡作即時網上捐款。該電子證書可提供較高加密通訊協定(SSL128-bit)及認證本會網上捐款網頁之真確性。
Please click here and make online donation by credit card with e-certificate, which will provide encryption protections (SSL 128 bits) to all transactions and identify our online donation page authenticity.

https://www.redcross.org.hk/donation/user_donation.asp?langId=2

直接存入銀行賬戶 Bank-in to "Hong Kong Red Cross" Account
市民可將捐款直接存入下列「香港紅十字會中國賑災金」戶口。
You could donate directly through the following bank accounts of our  “Hong Kong Red Cross China Relief Fund”:

滙豐銀行 HSBC (004)-567-650155-016
恒生銀行 Heng Sang Bank (024)-267-175123-001
中國銀行 Bank of China (012)-806-0-000161-7
東亞銀行 Bank of East Asia (015)-514-40-39966-3

劃線支票 Crossed Cheque
請將劃線支票及捐款表格一併寄回本會, 支票抬頭「香港紅十字會中國賑災金」寄回香港夏慤道33 號香港紅十字會國際及賑災服務部。
Or send a crossed cheque to us together with the completed donation form to the International & Relief Service Department, Hong Kong Red Cross at 33 Harcout Road, Hong Kong.
The payee name “Hong Kong Red Cross China Relief Fund”

信用咭 Credit Card
請郵寄捐款表格回本會或傳真至2802 0017
Please return the completed donation form to us by fax at 2802 0017 or by mail.

繳費靈 Payment by Phone Service
透過電話或網上使用繳費靈服務捐款,可選擇商戶編號:9167(香港紅十字會) ,請致電2802 0016/ 2802 0021向本會索取捐款人編號。
For payment by phone or on-line service, please select our Merchant code at 9167 (Hong Kong Red Cross). Please contact us at 2802 0016/ 2802 0021 for a Donor ID.

捐款總額HK$100或以上可申請扣減稅項。
Donations of HK$100 or above are tax deductible. 

如有查詢,請致電與本會職員聯絡。謝謝!
Please feel free to contact us for any enquiry. Thank you!

地址 :  香港夏慤道三十三號 香港紅十字會總部  
Address : Hong Kong Red Cross Headquarters, 33 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong

電話 Tel :  2802 0016/ 2802 0021
傳真 Fax :  2802 0017
電郵 Email :  crd@redcross.org.hk

查詢熱線 Donation Hotline: 2802-0021
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:02:55 AM by realisophie »

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: World watches on ... on Pangea Day
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2008, 05:43:06 AM »
May 10 was a very significant event for global humane efforts and also for filmmaking.

A live broadcast (almost) around the world, with thousands of viewing events held in its name, I personally was most pleased that the founder of Pangea Day is a woman. On the show, she spoke most eloquently on her reasons for producing and organising Pangea Day since 2 years ago, and also showed films she made over the years.

One of the most interesting segments of the live telecast program was the feature on Laughter Clubs around the world, started by Dr. Padan Kataria some years ago. To date, there are 1 million Laughter Clubs around the world and growing, formed in the empowered vision that laughter not only is the best medicine but simply brings people together.

It was also most heartening to get glimpses of filmmakers who were flown from around the world, into Los Angeles specially for the event. Unfortunately due to time restrictions, we just saw each filmmaker smiling as the announcer pronounced hard names and then went straight to view the selected film.

This is one of my favourite films. A simple depiction of desire and mastery of dance.

Dancing Queen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev0lib5b9CQ&feature=user

To view segments of the live telecast, please go to
http://www.pangeaday.org/program.php

What Will Happen After Pangea Day
People inspired by Pangea Day will have the opportunity to participate in community-building activities around the world. Through the live program, the Pangea Day web site, and self-organized local events, everyday people will be connected with extraordinary activists and organizations.
Many of the films and performances seen on Pangea Day will be made available on the Web and via mobile phone, alongside open forums for discussion and ideas for how to take social action.
A Pangea Day documentary will be created to catalyze future activities, and dozens of talented filmmakers will make strides in their careers.

History
In 2006, filmmaker Jehane Noujaim won the TED Prize, an annual award granted at the TED Conference. She was granted $100,000, and more important, a wish to change the world. Her wish was to create a day in which the world came together through film. Pangea Day grew out of that wish. Watch Jehane Noujaim’s 2006 acceptance speech now.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2008, 09:40:27 PM »
That's an awesome film Sophie--thanks for sharing that!

And we are all shocked and saddened by the China earthquake news.

In case any of our posters in the US or Canada or elsewhere in the world are still looking for a way to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts, this link has many organizations around the world that could use a helping hand.

It is being updated constantly, so just refresh for the latest.

http://cnreviews.com/uncategorized/china_earthquake_relief_and_donation_guide_-_will_update_20080514.html

Thanks so much for giving everyone a way to help, Sophie! :kuss:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline chealsea

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2008, 01:56:50 AM »
it's really awful news to hear about what happened in China. i hope things will be just fine. do you think this will affect the beijing olympics?

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: What the world??!!?
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2008, 08:03:25 AM »
Hi everyone,

Big thanks to those who have contributed to the relief help. I've also mailed out my cheque a few days ago to the Hong Kong Red Cross.

On the question by cookies23.... well, think about it this way, did the Katrina disaster stop the White House from functioning? So in short, China is a big country and of course not as developed as many big nations, but as they always say, the show must go on!

On another angry note, it was written in the papers just on Sunday that rescue teams from Scotland and as far as Canada were turned away from entering Sichuan, China. Each team had spent thousands of dollars to bring with them state-of-the-art equipment to engage in rescue work.

Who could have known this? BUT the rescue teams were turned away from entering China from Hong Kong because the Chinese government wouldn’t issue China Visas to the teams. The reasons given were, it’s not possible to issue a visa when the applicant does not 1) have a return air ticket issued 2) have proof of a hotel booked during the stay.

At this point, anyone should explode into the face of those officials! Foreign teams were on-hand to give the Chinese in-need a huge aid boost and the government prevents them??!!!! $%&*$%&$#%$*%$*%&$(*% *%#&%()@#*%()%#$%@%

Regulations aside, when do people get so rigid to apply rules in such silly manners when peoples’ lives were at stake. Didn’t they watch the news that there was an EARTHQUAKE we all know didn’t spare any hotels in the area!!!! ??

What is the world coming to… …

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »
Same thing is going on in Myanmar, Sophie, but what the Burmese government is doing is on a larger scale than China. Relief aid workers who know how to reach the most affected are not being allowed into the country because the government mistrusts outsiders, but the people suffer the most.
Just here to visit.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Relief help
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
Yes it's terrible what's happening over there too. I guess with what's happening in Sichuan, many news reports in Hong Kong are focusing on China because of its proximity, the fact that they are hosting the Olympics and supposed to be a modern city.

On some levels, on the scale of government, it's quite difficult to compare the both. And with the advances of Hong Kong, you would think there had to be another way, someone who could "see the light".

Sigh.

Another weird "trend" that I've noticed happening is the "No. 1" attitudes of conglomerates in Hong Kong and Asia to beat the crowds, to a pretty much very, very unhealthy level. For instance when a bad disaster happens, a mad frenzy breaks out on who will be the first to give aid. That's why I avoid to give donations to organisations other than reputable ones like the Red Cross whose core duties are to give aid ALL-YEAR round. Companies, banks, beauty chains, bars, music bands all have been hosting events to raise funds for the people of Sichuan. One musician associate I know added me to an email chain thanking everyone who came to his fund-raising music gig. What surprised me was the way he ended the message, if not I would not have thought otherwise about him that the disaster was like the theme of the night because of its "right" timing. He asked his fans if anyone knew the best way to give the money raised to the people in Sichuan. Note: He's based in Guangzhou. I kind of thought the right procedure was to contact a charity organisation, pick the venue, costs of ticket sales, do actual gig, send raised money to XXX. So I sent him a personal email reply on who to contact in China. Haven't had a reply back yet, and usually he's quite on the ball with these things. So I sincerely hope ... ... anyway... as long as people spread the message to help.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:15:47 AM by realisophie »

nikita

« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2008, 06:17:41 AM »
Hi Sophie. I was in Hong Kong when the quake happened and in Cambodia when Cyclone Nargis hit Myanmar. Sad reality is old paranoia is hard to break hence people suffer more especially in Myanmar. Let's just hope and pray hard hearts soften in the face of suffering.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Relief Help
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2008, 05:21:20 AM »
Agreed! Truly hope so.

I think reminding people to help is the first step. When the economy does well, people live in luxury and forget the little things that really matter to others in need.

For instance I took the money I usually spend on foot massage sessions and being out with friends and donated it to the Red Cross relief fund. Helping people doesnt mean you always have to sacrifice big, but many small actions goes a long long way!

I'm also involved in some pro-bono work for the Olympic youth committee and for example, I'm helping the committee to write a letter to mail out to the public about donating medical aid and tents for their relief efforts. A simple tent is enough at the moment to give a family a "roof" over their heads.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:28:59 PM by realisophie »

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Greetings!!!
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm back in Hong Kong and it's raining and raining.....

Happy 4th of July..... sorry it's belated.... I've had no internet connection in the Australian bush for ages.....

More updates and photos coming up

:js:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
Oh I am glad you are home safely! Dying to hear all about your trip! :hugs:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2008, 11:59:44 PM »
Hi Sophie!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Just here to visit.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
My little bundle of joy....
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2008, 10:44:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

Oh sorry for the long wait....

Introducing the new man in my life!!!

This is Kenric, and he's just the most perfect, happy little baby boy..... I finally got to meet him and I adore him so much! I'm so lucky to be his auntie... it was so great to catch up with my best friend after not seeing her for 2 years. Both mummy and baby are doing awesome and they love their new home on the Gold Coast.

Kenric is so friendly and he makes friends so easily (with adults and other babies) ...

It was weird for me at first, but I got much much better at feeding, bathing, dressing him up everyday..... having a baby is just so wonderful but your time is "controlled" and consumed by the baby. It was wonderful to wake up (even at 630am) by his little voice playing in his baby cot, his favourite word is 'car'... and he loves to play his harmonica. The agenda everyday was play, play and more play. I could not kiss and hug him enough....

Before meeting him I was actually afraid he wouldn't like me. My fears were unfounded. He was so excited to have a visitor! Soon every morning, he'll come into the bedroom with his toys and ask me for a play date! He also does such funny things all the time, and he's incredibly smart. One instance I started (in the morning) to blow on his neck and belly making a "farting" sound while dressing him. He thought it was really funny. Then by the evening, he came up to me and his mum making the same "farting" sound but by covering his mouth with his hand and blowing on it. He figured out on his own how to produce the same sound effects. So this was his indication to me that I should chase and tickle him!!!

I have to go back soon so I don't miss out too much on his growing years...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:58:03 PM by realisophie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
he's gorgeous Sophie!! Thanks for sharing!

And being an auntie is the BEST! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: hello
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »
Hey Peach!!!!

Long time how have you been??

Hope all is well.....glad to be back!!!

:hearts:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »
Sophie!

He is so cute. Congratulations on being an auntie.
Just here to visit.

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
What a weekend
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2008, 04:27:09 AM »
My weekends have been hectic. But this past one was special because it was the first time I've seen Sawaka since the premier party last year!

Yes she came in June, but as you know I was away being an auntie.... so there was a clash and I missed her. Sawaka stopped by again on her way from Singapore and we had a short but fruitful time catching up on our lives. We used to talk almost everyday, but she's been travelling a lot as well and doing fabulous on the job and singing front, so we have both been busy and missing out a little.

This weekend I had a barbecue and then a birthday party so it was running from one thing to the next.

And Sawaka's coming back to Hong Kong again to visit me hurray! I hope to let her try my home-cooked meals and she's promised to make some Japanese for me ... its one of my favourite cuisines!!!   ;)

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
My Joy
« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:58 AM »
When I have a hard time writing and feel frustrated, I surround myself with his smiles....

I can't believe how much I love him, and when he was in my arms, I guard him with my life, it's amazing!

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Downhill
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2008, 03:23:34 AM »
Im sorry I haven't been writing...it's been hard. I've been feeling very down and many things have not been going right, down to the bare ridiculous notion of just coincidential bad luck like I'm cursed. Its hard to have friends in HK you can trust and rely on to have the time to pull you out of the odds. But funny enough, I've been praised for doing just that for some other people. I'm wondering where they are when it's now reversed. No where.
My mac was damaged a few months ago when some books fell on it thats why I've had no videos edited or uploaded etc for a long time. Its been hard to work too.
The weather has been typhoon season and now its terribly hot, makes you sick and tired and I get up in the mornings feeling down and depressed with nothing much to look forward to.

I started designing a fashion line and thought I found the right manufacturer in China, but they are just talking and not doing anything. I've always wanted to set my own business.

I'm feeling like a loser.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2008, 03:44:51 AM »
O sweetie! You are not cursed..this might just be the calm before the good luck storm coming your way! You have been working really hard to get your life on target and there are good things waiting for you around the corner!

Go call that baby and get some auntie love and you'll feel better fast! :kuss: :hugs: :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realisophie

• 'Amazing Racer'
  • RFF Full Member
Re: oh tomorrow is a new day
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2008, 05:26:20 AM »
Thanks very much Peach...

Actually thats what I was going to do tomorrow.... I get to talk to them tomorrow...

Olga tells me Kenric's new word is 'light' and so his favourite words are 'light' and 'car'.

Isn't it weird that the people you feel like family to you are miles away but you feel closer to them than the actual persons next to you? I can only talk to Olga like no other of my gal-friends. We are kindred souls.

An example of my cursed circumstances is when I applied to go back to school part-time. I've been feeling emotionally and creatively 'drained out' in recent months. Academic services left my applications unattended for more than a month, even after I called them every week while I was away. So now my application is in jeopardy because it is late and was not received by the actual faculty for reveal and processing. No matter whose fault it was, it's rather late. The worse part is other applications were handed in after 2 rounds of collection and mine had to be the one that was forgotten.

Then somehow in the confusion, I lost my academic transcript too which is totally ridiculous, and when I got my overseas university to mail it to me via express, with my luck, of course they mailed me the wrong transcripts of another past student with a student number and name not even remotely similar to mine! What the *!

Things at home have been rough and I'm moving out. I really really dread packing! Arh! This was my home and my garden and my plants will suffer the most. Thank goodness I didn't get a dog yet. I was even supposed to have a nice big Summer barbecue party TOMORROW evening! Just when things get bad, everything you build up falls apart too. There's nothing I can do to savage any situation but wait my fate.... and verdict. When the situation calls for things out of my control, I get naked down to basics and do a ritual dance of mercy to the Gods.... just kidding....

I just need some sleep now and some good news next week.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2008, 09:19:15 AM »
Sophie,

Just remember you have friends here and you get back to us when you can.  :waves: :waves: :waves:
Just here to visit.