Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 2 Contestant/ Media thread  (Read 68855 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
The Amazing Race Asia 2 Contestant/ Media thread
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »
Cast Spoilers! :wohoo:

Tucked away in this Sponsor announcement

10 teams of various nationalities and varied cultural backgrounds from Asian nations including Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan, have beat out over 2500 applicants (and even past participants of the original US series) to gain a spot in the race, for an adventure of their lifetime.

The contestants are pairs of: dancing mummies who travel together without their children for the first time since their birth; couples who have known each other from 2 to 13 years; reunited siblings; childhood friends; TV hosts; and the very first hearing-impaired contestant in The Amazing Race history, with his gym buddy who he has known for barely nine months.

BJ is the only one I can think of who has ties to Asia--any one else??

But TV hosts??

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:46:00 PM by puddin »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 2 **Spoiler Thread**
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:36:45 PM »
In Rex's blog/album there is mention of TV host named Marc Nelson (an Aussie based in the Philippines).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:17 PM »
In Rex's blog/album there is mention of TV host named Marc Nelson (an Aussie based in the Philippines).
  :manicure :luvu:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:44:37 PM »
Thanks Slowhatch!  :tup: I vaguely do remember that now...long ago and far away...  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »
Cast Spoilers! :wohoo:

BJ is the only one I can think of who has ties to Asia--any one else??

TAR2 - Tara & Wil

Vipul & Arti - if they backed to India

Cho Bro - if they backed to Korea

LOVE TARA - cabioTAR

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:44:07 AM »
so from the spoiler & revealed news so far

The contestants are pairs of:

1. dancing mummies who travel together without their children for the first time since their birth;

>> Nice - Like bowling mom?

2. couples who have known each other from 2 to 13 years;

3. reunited siblings;

>> Like M&M?

4. childhood friends;

>> may be Japanese girls team like Dani & Daniella TAR10

5. TV hosts; >> Pinoy team

6. the very first hearing-impaired contestant in The Amazing Race history, with his gym buddy who he has known for barely nine months.

>> look strong man team ... from spolier the one captured in Prague?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:17:14 AM by cabioTAR »
LOVE TARA - cabioTAR

Offline Izad

• " spoiler extraordinaire "
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »
Sophie pretty much confirmed that she's on the show :)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:35:30 PM »
I don't think its a match peachs, the one from the video is long in the tooth.. sort of like a horse face, lol.

Reema Chanco is very popular!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:52:20 PM »
Yeah--I didn't think they matched either...

Okay--so WHO is Reema Chanco? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
Yeah--I didn't think they matched either...

Okay--so WHO is Reema Chanco? ???
I saw her mentioned here .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
Wiki has a few names:
 Collin & Adrian - Singapore, below
 Aurelia = Hong Kong

Sign language is our secret weapon 
S'pore team has show's first hearing-impaired contestant
By Jeanmarie Tan

September 28, 2007

THIS is one amazing pair who will make you sit up and listen.

(From far left) Collin Low and Adrian Yap. -- Pictures: JONATHAN CHOO 
Out of 2,500 applications from all over the region, gym buddies Adrian Yap and Collin Low were the only Singapore team to make it to the cast of the second season of the reality TV series The Amazing Race Asia.

Others on the Emmy-winning international version have suffered from dwarfism and shown off a prosthetic leg, but Adrian, 27, is the first hearing-impaired contestant in The Amazing Race's history.

The business development manager relies on sign language to communicate with his partner Collin, 35, a regional sales director.

They first met nine months ago, at a gym where Collin works as a part-time fitness and pilates instructor.

The athletic duo found similar interests in swimming, marathon running and travelling, and quickly formed a strong friendship.

Adrian is quick to dispel doubts about his deafness affecting him on the show, which has already wrapped filming. It will premiere on AXN (StarHub Channel 19) at the end of theyear.

NOT A BARRIER

He told The New Paper at a press conference at Clarke Quay's Indochine - The Forbidden City last night: 'I want to be a good, living example of how having a disability is not a barrier or problem. I've come so far already and I've covered so many places, so it's not an obstacle.

'It's about managing your mindset, being positive and optimistic, and everybody will love you for that.'

Collin, who learnt sign language 10 years ago and interprets for the hearing-impaired at his church, added: 'We want to prove that... he's able to overcome so many things. We want to make a statement for all disabled people out there.'

When he was 9, Adrian enrolled in a special school for four years and learnt speech therapy and lip-reading, enabling him to attend mainstream schools and the National University of Singapore later.

His story was featured on the Channel U docudrama series My Life Journey. And the Amazing Race Asia is not his first travel adventure.

Last year, he took part in the Clipper Race, an annual yacht race that saw him navigating the seas for three months. He also embarked on a month-long solo expedition to Nepal in the middle of winter.

He and Collin, both jovial underdogs, look set to be fan favourites in the new batch of 10 teams from Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Japan and elsewhere.

Their biggest challenge was driving, which led to communication breakdown, navigational errors and 'moments of tension'.
Collin drove and Adrian read maps from the back seat, Adrian could only read Collin's lips from the rear-view mirror and Collin could only sign back to Adrian using one free hand.

You can imagine how much tougher that would have been at night.

But at least sign language has its advantages - they've even proudly called it their 'secret weapon'.

Collin said: 'It's useful when we're in front of other teams or the production crew, or want to discuss strategy and don't want others to know. We also don't need to shout to each other when we're, say, 5m away. We just signaway!'

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/show/story/0,4136,143206,00.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:36:02 AM by puddin »

Offline Izad

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 02:48:12 AM »
Nice find, puddin!

This is Sophie's webpage http://www.sophieteng.com/

She told me that the team profiles are out since Sept 26th. I haven't seen it anywhere online though.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:29:11 AM »
Ran into this, from the Straits Times (Singapore) today!

http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_161905.html

We've got our teams!

15 countries in 4 continents! So that means, erm... Czech Republic, Hungary, Philippines, Singapore, S Korea, maybe Japan, Australia, New Zealand...?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:46:48 AM by Neobie »

Offline schwarzmoor

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 06:31:08 AM »
It premieres in November! :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: Probably it is earlier than US version!
http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/

Offline schwarzmoor

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
From South China Morning Post,

CitySeen: Duelling duos from Hong Kong line up for next Amazing Race

Sep 27, 2007 
The AXN network has just announced it will be producing a second series of the hit reality competition, The Amazing Race Asia. At a press conference in Singapore yesterday the adventure-action channel said two of the 10 teams taking part this year would be from Hong Kong. ...

http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP/menuitem.2c913216495213d5df646910cba0a0a0/?vgnextoid=0096b9ad0b145110VgnVCM100000360a0a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=teaser&ss=Cityseen&s=Life

Actually I have method to read the whole article...But it requires account login.

The another Hong Kong team is long-dating couple. They are called Monica Lo & Edwin Lo. She is a former Miss International & he is an event organizer

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:44:43 AM by schwarzmoor »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 08:34:51 AM »
Hi Neobie and Schwarzmoor! :waves:

Nice finds!!

I was just coming in to say that there must be a full list somewhere because my mailbox is overflowing with news! :wohoo:

Let's see if we can pull it together!

From Neobies article:

Hey good-looking, let's race 
The contestants for the next season of The Amazing Race Asia are a handsome lot
By Lee Sze Yong, MEDIA REPORTER 

Team Singapore: Business development manager Adrian Yap and regional sales director Collin Low (centre, wearing singlets) and the rest of the nine teams of The Amazing Race Asia. Writer Sophie Teng (behind Low, wearing red T-shirt) is also a Singaporean, but flies the Hong Kong flag. -- PHOTO: AXN

WHAT a beautiful game.
We are not talking about football but the competition in the second season of The Amazing Race Asia.

When cable channel AXN revealed the 10 teams of the reality TV show at Clarke Quay's Indochine - The Forbidden City on Wednesday, wolf whistles could be heard.

All 20 contestants - from Thailand-based VJ-model Paula Taylor to the oldest competitor, retired US Navy officer Henry Reed from the Philippines - had svelte, taut bodies.

The good physiques certainly came in handy when the teams travelled to 15 countries in four continents in July, covering 54,000km. Up for grabs is a booty of US$100,000 (S$149,800).

Executive producer Michael McKay said the good-looking cast, selected from 2,500 contestants from the region, was 'absolutely not a deliberate thing'.

He said: 'Personality, not looks, was what we were looking for.'

Referring to the chubby Indonesian brothers from season one, Mardy and Marsio Juwono, he said: 'True, none are interesting-looking people like the M&M brothers, but they are no less interesting.'

Take the Singapore team, made up of gym rats Adrian Yap, 27, and Collin Low, 35.

Low is the first hearing-impaired contestant in The Amazing Race history. Yap, a business development manager, communicates with Low using sign language, which he learnt 10 years ago.

Low, a regional sales director, said: 'It's useful when we want to discuss strategy and don't want others to know.'

Another Singaporean is writer Sophie Teng, 27, although she flies a different flag. She represents team Hong Kong with her ex-flatmate, France-born model Aurelia Chenat, 24.

The two are an unlikely pairing, as they are not exactly bosom buddies, even before the race. The bubbly Chenat still blames the more serious Teng for kicking her out of the apartment when they lived with each other two years ago.

However, when Teng's original partner for the competition had to back out at the last minute, she approached Chenat to join her.

Asked if they were still friends after the race, Teng would only say: 'You have to watch the show to find out.'

szeyong@sph.com.sg

The Amazing Race Asia 2, which is in post-production now, will premiere at the end of the year on AXN (StarHub Channel 19).

AirTime has been held back.

more coming....

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 08:42:01 AM »
From this article:

more about 
Our very own TV personalities Rovilson Fernandez and Marc Nelson form one of the two teams from the Philippines. They call themselves Team Rovilson and Marc, or Team Marc and Rovilson, depending on who you’re asking.
“On the show, we were the clowns whilst being very competitive. We’d like to think that we had a great time. Yes, it was about winning; but at the end of the day, you wanna have a great time. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime. You’re traveling around the world with one of your best friends. Sometimes it was really just about kicking back and enjoying it. Sure we play it up sometimes but when they watch the show, they’ll see Rovilson and I being Rovilson and I. It’s who we are in real life. We are idiots.”
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 08:45:37 AM »
From this blog:

The Singapore Team, which made up of Adrian Yap and Collin Low, was spotted on The Straits Times Friday, September 28, 2007, page 6 of the Life! section. They were wearing our signature party tanks, showing off their lean and chiseled muscles, all ready for The Amazing Race Asia.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »
So here's what we have for now? Darn AXN and their obsession with young teams! :dick (Just a rough one from MS Paint until I get home to my computer for the weekend!)

Monica & Edwin (Hong Kong)
Rovilson & Marc (Philippines)
Paula & ? (Thailand)
Aurelia & Sophie (Hong Kong)
Henry & ? (Philippines)
Adrian & Collin (Singapore - survive until at least Prague)

Could the girls in blue be the 'dancing mummies'? And who the heck could the reunited siblings be?

We also need teams from Japan, Malaysia and Indonesia... The ones in red I would say Japan, the pair on the left from Malaysia, and the girls in blue Indonesia?

High-five Georgiapeach! (Yep, that's the Philippines flag on Henry's royal blue top...)

Just noticed this (blame my bad counting skills), but WHERE IS THE TENTH TEAM?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:25:06 AM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 09:11:27 AM »
A work in progress:  GMTA Neobie!! :waves:

TARA 2 TEAM LIST:

1)Hong Kong: Sophie Teng 27 (writer)/ Aurelia Chenat 24 (former model)  former roommates

2)Hong Kong: Monica Lo (former Miss International)/ Edwin Lo (event organizer)   dating couple

3)Singapore: Adrian Yap 27 (business manager)/ Colin Low 35 (sales director)   gym partners--Adrian is 1st hearing impaired racer

4)Philippines: Rovilson Fernandez / Marc Nelson  (TV Hosts)

5)Thailand: Paula Taylor (VJ model)/ Natasha  best friends

6)Philipines : Henry Reed (retired US Navy officer)/ Terri (Henry's wife) husband/wife

7) Indonesia: Brett Money (physiotherapist, Jakarta)/ Kinar Yosih (actress/model)

8 ) Japan: Daichi /Sawaka Kawashima   formerly estranged brother/sister

9)  Malaysia: Ann/Dianne    not seen in photograph

10) Malaysia: Vanessa/Pamela Chong  (sisters of Malaysian reality TV song winner Victor Chong)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:12:03 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »
Okay Neobie---your picture is WAAAY prettier! I am going to make it bigger for us if that is okay...

AND OMG!! you are right! Where IS Team 10 ??

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:32:36 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 09:40:03 AM »
NEOBIE:

For some reason I have blue teeshirt guy with pink headband girl in my mind??

Do I have the TV guys hooked up wrong?

Thanks to Izad--this one is Sophie...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:43:29 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Izad

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
I believe the press junket was done in Singapore on Sept 26th. We'll get the official cast list soon. Awesome work, people!  :jumpy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:49 AM »
Neobie: That picture of Sophie came from this link from Izad: VIDEO BLOG  (well darn--it has been removed by the user--I did wonder because her first line was "as you may know now it is Sophie from Amazing Race Asia 2" --or something like that...)

I was actually tipped off on my blog on this racer.. not sure if this is legit or not... I guess we'll see in time.

well I would have sworn I was answering a note from Neobie here.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 10:21:21 AM »
so seem we will have 5 countries team - 2 each country...

base on the info from last year team finale party
LOVE TARA - cabioTAR