Author Topic: Kid Nation: The Episodes  (Read 46435 times)

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Kid Nation: The Episodes
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 07:29:17 AM »
I MISSED IT :dick.  I have been waiting for so long to watch it and then forgot to record it.  I was at Carissa's open house for school and couldn't call home to have it taped.  Bill was watching a  baseball game and forgot about it until it was almost over. 
Thursdays are really busy after school with religious ed, football and soccer so I hope to watch it with the kids tomorrow night on the CBS website.
I will have the kids including Billy who is 14 give their thoughts on it. 

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »
It was entertaining, but I still cringed.  What kind of parents would send kids this young to do a television show for 40 days?  I also don't think it's healthy to put kids in this type of environment.  I can't really explain why, but I just get the feeling that the producers are hoping for "Lord of the Flies" moments.

I'll continue watching, though.  I actually find myself rooting for some of those kids.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 08:01:40 AM »
Thanks Tammy!

Can't WAIT to hear what Carissa, Kelley, and oh-so-grown-up now Billy think about this!  :hugs:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 08:12:33 AM »
Billy already loved the bios.  He couldn't stop laughing about the kid with the big tooth who had read Al Gore's book on Global Warming.  He loved one of the older kids that just used one word answers for his questions.  He just feels as do I the majority of the kids are just answering the questions based on the views of their parents. 

Offline Blondie

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Watch out, I will chop you!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »
 :waves:  some pics from ep. 1

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth...AMEN..!!

Offline Blondie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
 :waves:  some more

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jusalurker

• RFF Jr. Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 09:24:15 AM »
My daughter (7) watched the beginning and did'nt have much to say, except "Is this show like Survivor?" Can you tell I watch Survivor?  :yess:

Asking questions about where they were located, and how hard it was back in the old days.. ? 

When it came to the challenge, she rooted for everyone. She spoke of everyone having to work together as a team. She wanted everyone to finish.

We had a discussion about the division of the kids and the amount of money they would recieve for their "jobs".

She picked outhouses, having been to girl scout camp and campouts, she said a girl "has" to have her privacy...LOL

She watched in amazement as one group cooked breakfast and commented that they should get more money..   I found that amusing!

Then she was totally amazed at the Merchants store.. "Wow.. look at all that cool stuff". 
She said when they get hungry for a snack they  could go over and get what ever they wanted.

Until I explained alittle about how much things cost and how much money each person made.. Then she was not so excited..
She said they could sell something to make more money, "like you do on ebay".

At which point the one girl who wanted the $3.00 Bike and started her entertainment on the street..
I worried when my girl said, "see mom , she is smart. Making extra money for the bike.
panhandling came to my mind ???

She felt sad for the little guy who left and empathized with him about missing his family. She mentioned that he might want to go to camp next summer and see how that worked out.. sometimes she makes me laugh with her "wisdom"

She did not have the comprehension of 20,000 dollars, but thought the star was cool. She aligned the winner with a MOM, heading up the group.

Over all we loved the show, and it brought up insightful questions and speculations.

Child abuse.. I don't think so..
Most of these children were savvy, smart, articulate, and inventive.
Child entertainers and competitors are not something new. Its been going on for centuries and one can only hope there are good parents, managers, and role models for these children.

My 2 cents

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »
Thanks Jusalurker   :dancer: for sharing your daughter's viewpoint--she sounds very perceptive!

I think that it would be so nice to have a show like this to watch as a family with your children and be able to discuss the issues that come up together.

I'm already trying to think whose 7-10 year old I can "borrow" for next week's show!  Sadly, my niece is too young...

And Blondie--I hereby nominate you for all the KN screencaps from here on out--those are beautiful pictures! :thankyou:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
I agree with Jusalurker. I think its a good kids show to teach kids things. My neice was freaking out about the hardest workers only getting 10 cents. LOL! She was sad for them haha! When they did the "task" so to speak she was cheering each team on and was talking about teamwork.

I loved the little girl that gave Sophia money to move farther from her store :lol3: That really is something that would've happened back then I think.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »
great quote from tvweek

The first episode of "Kid Nation" did feature kids crying, falling down, bullying each other, dithering about whether to opt for multiple outhouses or a big-screen TV, cooking biscuits from scratch and arguing among themselves. A few of the tykes were homesick. But only one eight-year-old, Jimmy, opted to leave the show near the end of the Wednesday's episode. Meaning next week, there's still 39 kids left to fight, cry and complain.

Offline Blondie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »
great quote from tvweek

The first episode of "Kid Nation" did feature kids crying, falling down, bullying each other, dithering about whether to opt for multiple outhouses or a big-screen TV, cooking biscuits from scratch and arguing among themselves. A few of the tykes were homesick. But only one eight-year-old, Jimmy, opted to leave the show near the end of the Wednesday's episode. Meaning next week, there's still 39 kids left to fight, cry and complain.

Sorry you don't like the show Kogs

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
Transcript from the Ellen Show   featuring interviews with Mike and Sophia and their Moms...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »
I hope Michael gets a gold star, that kid is smart lol.

Honestly, im a mom of 3 young ones but my neices are older and they fight, complain, cry. I think those kids were frustrated as most kids are ???

My favorite quote "I don't do dishes, im a beauty queen" :lol3:

Will there be new comps each week (like for who is upper class, merchants, cooks and laborers)? I think it would be wrong if they all had to do the same thing each week.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »
Sophias mom makes a good point in that interview.

You know quite frankly…I have two other children, two dogs, three cats. I don’t have a safety inspector sitting in my kitchen, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a medic, a dietician, you know. I don’t have these people in my own household.

I guess those people were there for them. Thats a whole lot of people.

In that same transcript from the Ellen show someone mentioned that the producer called the parents every three days to update on their kids ???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:20:33 PM by Mama2MyBoys »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »
My favorite quote "I don't do dishes, I'm a beauty queen" 

Mine too! I want it on a T shirt! :lol:

I think that since that have started the idea of a Showdown that they are bound to do something with that every week--to switch things up?

Honestly though that was one of the few things I did NOT like--and all of them were more related to Producer involvement/interference.

The splitting up into "Districts" aka teams I understand, and apparently the kids had input into who went where.

But I did not like the artificial caste system and I especially didn't like that that came from production.  I would have much rather seen the kids work out for themselves who would do what on a week to week system of some sort.

And the gold star was fine--she seemed so touched to be chosen. But I wish that the $$ aspect had been left out --and have the kids working solely for peer recognition and the joy of achievement. Sure there would have been some who don't work (think Survivor! :lol3:) but I would have liked to have seen how the kids handled that.  I think the $$ will change the motivation some and that disappoints me. So far I have liked everything with the kids alone--my only quibbles seem to be regarding too much Production interference or organization.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 04:28:52 PM »
I think they were trying to use that money for motivation, but since its kids why not give them a schlorship or like you said "JUST" a gold star? Like how a trophy is suppose to be.

I honestly can't wait to see what happens with this next week, I did enjoy the first episode and am curious to how it will all play out!

Didn't they have a sheriff on the previews? I was mad at Greg and Blaine (that is his friend right) using the chalk on everything :rolleyes:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »
Im curious what people think about the teams. To me they should've done it more by age. Like everyone pick an 8 year old, everyone pick a 9 year old, etc. I feel bad for the young team.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »
Didn't they say something last night about having a surprise for every child at the end? I smell college scholarships!

And if the kids helped form the teams--I'll bet they immediately broke up along ages...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 04:45:46 PM »
Yeah I do think every kid will get a schlorship ;)

Pretty much its broken up by council members age. Laurel seemed to have taken all the older kids and 11 and 12 year olds. I forget how the boys picked (I know Mike - red team did try to keep the older two boys together so he said he took most of the "friends" as to not break them up). And I know Taylor mostly has all the younger kids. But I guess thats what she felt comfortable with. I just thought CBS would've been more into making it 'fair'. I mean honestly the older kids clearly can do more heavy liftin and such.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2007, 05:21:05 PM »
i wonder how michael jacksons watch party went last night for the premair.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »
I guess people could compare this to camps for kids during the summer. I know of camps where they are taught to build a fire, cook on the fire, sleep on the ground, etc. Its the same thing. It really helps me knowing there ARE adults there. To me it is just like camp. And yes I knwo kids that go to camp and cry and complain about it.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »
Has anyone seen viewer ratings for this?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »
Some ratings talk HERE thanks to mswood!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2007, 11:47:08 PM »
Thanks!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2007, 05:19:30 PM »
More ratings:

CBS's controversial "Kid Nation," Fox's Kelsey Grammer sitcom "Back to You" and Fox's reality makeover series "Kitchen Nightmares" all earned a 3.1 rating among adults 18 to 49.

The figures are based on the national Nielsen ratings, which bumped up "Kid Nation" a notch since this morning's preliminary tallies. A 3.1 rating is considered a gray-area premiere figure, neither impressive nor embarrassing, particularly for reality shows.

For CBS, the rating means "Kid Nation" won the 8 p.m. hour.

LINK
RFF's Golden Rule: