Author Topic: "Around the World for Free!"  (Read 26265 times)

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
Re: "Around the World for Free!"
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
Thanks, GeorgiaPeach.  The listings at the WGN Website didn't list the partial episode that I saw.  However, I did find out that next week's episode will not air on Thursday.

All Upcoming Episodes  New Episodes
Peruvian Sunshine  Thu 5/7 9:00-10:00pm 307 WGNAMER
Fri 5/8 12:00-1:00am 307 WGNAMER

A Turn For the Worse  Mon 5/11 9:00-10:00pm 307 WGNAMER
Tue 5/12 12:00-1:00am 307 WGNAMER
Sun 5/17 11:00-12:00pm 307 WGNAMER

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »
Does anyone have an idea what's going on regarding the schedule of this program?  I was channel surfing and just saw the end of one of the programs.  Alex went to Macchu Picchu.

Alex ended up stuck in Chile and now they're now showing one of the episodes when he was in the islands.  Very strange sequencing.
I can tell you that the prior episode ended in Lima, which caused me to predict that the next one (for this week) will go to Macchu Picchu and then elsewhere. Chile certainly fits. The interesting way to get there from Cuzco is over the Andes by bus but Alex and Zsolt may had had more bus rides than they want to from last week's episode (Venezuela to Peru in 6 days on the bus).

Thanks for the tip on next week's schedule.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Now I understand about the change in scheduling.

Around The World For Free is not doing that well in the ratings. WGN America will move it to Mondays starting this Monday, but this Monday they will repeat the first two episodes from 8-10pm ET. Then the following will happen:

Mondays, Effective Monday, May 11 through Monday, June 22, 2009
9:00PM Around The World For Free (replaces AFV)
12:00AM Around The World For Free encore (replaces Bob and Tom Show)

4:00AM The Bob and Tom Show (replaces Corner Gas 2x)
(Corner Gas will remain at 5am ET)

Tuesday Nights, Effective Tuesday, May 12 through Tuesday, June 23, 2009
4:00AM-5:30AM Corner Gas (replaces Moesha)

Wednesday Nights, Effective Wednesday, May 13 through Wednesday, June 24, 2009
4:00AM-5:30AM Moesha (replaces Sister, Sister)

Thursdays, Effective Thursday, May 14 through Thursday, June 25, 2009
9:00PM Various Specials (replaces Around the World for Free)
12:00-1:00AM Scrubs 2x (replaces Around the World for Free encore)
1:00AM Star Trek: The Next Generation (replaces Scrubs 2x)

A few Sundays (May 17, 21 and June 14) will have Around the World for Free encores at 11am ET. A Memorial Day marathon of the show will have the first 6 episodes from 2pm-8pm ET.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showpost.php?p=4187395&postcount=52

I hope the show makes it through it's entire run.  I really enjoy the program and believe that the Travel Channel is a more appropriate outlet.  But I would think that Alex and his partners did pitch the program to them.  ATWFF is as good as anything on the Travel Channel.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
Pedaler,

I find TravelChannel programs quite good, but the endless repetition of them is a serious problem.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »
I'll break anyone's arm if they rag on Samantha Brown's travels. I want to travel with that woman.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »
And how would her husband Kevin back in Brooklyn feel about that, TARAsia Fan?

Offline alexboylan

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Newbie
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
What's up everyone.  It's Alex Boylan here...just stopping in to say hi.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Hope all is well...chat soon
Cheers
Alex

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »
What's up everyone.  It's Alex Boylan here...just stopping in to say hi.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Hope all is well...chat soon
Cheers
Alex
Welcome aboard Alex!  :jumpy:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
Alex,
I find your "Around the World for Free" more interesting from a travel perspective and culture perspective than even Amazing Race 2, which I rate as one of the 2 best ever.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:07 PM »
Another great episode tonight.  The show was mostly in Peru (Lima and Cusco).  In some of the scenes, I had flashbacks to episode 1 of the greatest Amazing Race season ever.  It was oh, that's where a cluebox was, or there's a bus like the racers had to take, or that's where the mat was. 

The good news here was, unlike Season 7, Alex went to Machu Picchu.  What a magnificent place and great photography by the guys.

And then to watch Alex going from pure exhiliration in Machu Picchu to extreme despair walking the streets by himself in Chile at 3 in the morning was travel adventure television at its best.

Job well done Alex.

Offline alexboylan

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »
Really excited everyone is seeing the true colors of Around The World For Free.  We were sick of Travel shows not showing the REAL cultures and people.  And from that simple idea we created this series to force cultural interaction never before seen on TV.
Cheers
Alex

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
OMG, it's Alex! I totally used to have a man crush on you back when you were on TAR. Which is a really confusing thing when you're twelve years old, but that's another story...

We were sick of Travel shows not showing the REAL cultures and people.

Quick, somebody show this to the TAR producers, before we have to endure more underpants marathons and panto cows!

GeorgiaPeach:  I'm just curious, but what kind of player was one of the executive producers, Burton Roberts, on Survivor?

My recollection was that he was one of the most annoying people in that season. Which is no mean feat, with Rupert, Fairplay, and Lill.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »
Really excited everyone is seeing the true colors of Around The World For Free.  We were sick of Travel shows not showing the REAL cultures and people.  And from that simple idea we created this series to force cultural interaction never before seen on TV.
Cheers
Alex
Hey Alex,

Glad you're aboard here. :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 01:12:48 PM »
And how would her husband Kevin back in Brooklyn feel about that, TARAsia Fan?
I'm sure he'd feel honored that someone is defending his wife when he can't. I'd defend her from you as well.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
The 4th episode of ATWFF did start in Lima. Alex and Zsolt toured around Lima with their hostess Ivana and she introduced them to her friends, who came to party every night. Alex went on a double paraglide ride in harness with a professional. The views from that indicated a coastline beneath. When I was in Peru (30 years ago), there was no significant bodies of water in the city. You have to go west to someplace like Callao to find the Pacific Ocean. I suspect that they went to Callao but did not put it in the captions. Alex ate a local burger which appeared to be tasty.

One of the tours went to Huaca Cucllama, an ancient Inca ceremonial center. Alex was taken to the Inka Market and bought an  Alpaca earflap caps typical of those worn in the Cuzco area(I remember bringing one home).  Next they visited the REMAR orphanage where 31 children are being cared for after abandonment or abuse.

His hostess decides to have a ceviche party, so Alex and her mother go to the local  mercado to buy onions, peppers, limes (limon in Spanish, who knows why), garlic, corn, sweet potatoes and fresh fish. With fish that fresh I expect that it was was tasty. It was accompanied by Pisco sour drinks. Everybody looked like they were having a good time. Saying goodbye to this group was difficult.

Tickets are purchased for Alex and Zsolt to take the 24 hour bus of Cruz del Sol from Lima to Cuzco. Much of the scenic part of the trip was at night, so all we see around 6am is the downslope of the Andes.  Their Lima hostess had arranged for a host that she knows in Cuzco. He picks them up and drives them to his house. Alex and Zsolt have a room but they are on their own during the day to explore Cuzco. Their host Lucho does take them to a Shamanic village in the area where they witness a shaman at work. They also go to the village of Tipon known for its cui or guinea pig. Alex is revolted by the sight of the cook twisting the head of a guinea pig to kill it, but he manages to eat the meat, corn and potatoes anyway.

Alex's host somehow makes arrangements for them to get free rail trip, bus trip up to the sacred site and entry fees to one of the 7 Wonders of the modern World. They go and are awed by it. Macchu Picchu was built around 1460 and rediscovered in 1911. They meet the mayor of Cuzco, who is the mother of their host. Now Zsolt has to maintain network contacts back in Lima for a few days.   He will rejoin Alex in Santiago Chile after returning by plane (how paid fo this?) to Lima. The interesting thing is that the camera is manned throughout his absence. How did they manage to do that?

Alex is left with $12 US cash equivalent, so he takes a $3 collectivo car ride to the Peru/chile border. There is confusion at the border with the car and driver getting through, but it gets sorted out and is on his way again to Arica, the northernmost city of consequence in Chile. On the way there is a sign that says Arica 22 km and Santiago 2091 km. The caption said 200 km = 1250 miles. I calculate 2091 km to be 1293 miles, a very long way. Alex scours the port area for any ships heading for Santiago (or actually Valparaiso), but although Arica is the second largest port in Chile there were none that day and even if there were it is not likely that they would have hired him. Much of the port activity in Arica would be out and back fishing.  So Alex is on his own without contacts and without the money to get accommodations. He walks the streets of Arica for about 10 miles and he is trying to stay awake and not get mugged at 3am as this episode closes.

Will Alex make it to Santiago? Of course he will. How does he do it? Watch next week(now on Mondays at 9pm and midnight) and find out just the way I do.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:23:11 AM by apskip »

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Alex, I'm not asking for details, but just a one word answer to a very important question regarding your trip from New York down to the Chilean border:

Did you get any?   :tup:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
Alex starts this episode at 3am on a dark night in Arica, Chile. He is thirsty, hungry (not having eaten in 36 hours), and afraid. I think I have figured out how he is getting video without Zsolt filming. The show Africa Trek is done entirely without the benefit of any cameraman. There is a camera harness which must go around the waist so turning your waist make the direction of the camera change.

Alex has a pretty rough time at the start. He walks to the south end of Arica (population 192,000) on railroad tracks, then hitchhikes south to start the 1200 mile journey to Santiago. He gets a bus ride for free to a remote truck stop in the Atacama Desert. Then he has a car stop, not be able to take him in the correct direction, but give him 20,000 pesos ($40U.S.) to help him survive. He gets another ride although he mistakes his interim destination Iquique for Arequipa Peru back to the north. Fortunately the people in that car speak good English and correct him. Part of the money buys him the bus ticket 5 hours to Iquique. There he finally makes contact with Zsolt back in Lima, who has been trying for days to contact him. Robert Hutchings back in Orlando, who bankrolled their first flight Orlando to San Juan, has bought them both a plane ticket from Santiago to CapeTown. Zsolt will meet Alex in Santiago.

Ivana back in Lima, who Zsolt has been staying with, has made arrangements for Alex to sleep at the house of a friend in Iquique. Alex arrives at 6am and takes a taxi rather than trying to get there on foot. It costs a few precious pesos, but navigation across Iquique (population 216,000) could have been very difficult. Alex stays with Cecilia long enough to sleep and then he returns to the bus station and gets the bus through Antofagasta to Santiago, almost 1000 miles. That takes a full 24 hours.

A network member picks him up in Santiago and introduces him to his family and later to his friends. Alex has one day to see Santiago. He is told that Santiago has mountains to the east, desert to the north, the Pacific Ocean to the west and "the most beautiful land ever" to the south. There is a cookout in Alex's honor involving the local equivalent of paella except that the rice is cooked separately and is put on the bottom of the plates. The disco fish is a dyed form of the Indian glassfish, Parambassis (formerly Chanda) ranga. These fish have been injected with coloured dye at multiple sites using a hypodermic needle. They are not illegal but in advanced countries they are unethical to catch and eat. Disco fish is sauteed in a huge pan that is not as flat as a paella pan with beef, chicken, sausage, onions, and Chilean white wine. Everyone eating this dish loves it.

The flight goes to Rio de Janeiro, then Sao Paulo and then across the Atlantic Ocean to CapeTown, South Africa. Network member Tom picks them up and takes them to the suburb of Muizenberg on False Bay. Alex asks about sharks and Tom tells him they only lose about 5 or 6 humans to the sharks each year. I don't think he was kidding because some of the worst shark concentrations are near the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean off CapeTown. There is a party and Alex runs up a drink bill at the Drunken Skirt band plays. He asks the bartender how he can work it off. He is sent to the Stellenbosch wine region where he clips the tops of growing vines and puts clips on them. The average worker is a female teenager who puts in 8 hours a day of this. Alex doesn't last that long.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:30:40 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 07:07:15 PM »
Thanks for coming Alex!! We are so glad to see you here! :hearts:

:bigwelcome
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »
Here are the episode times for the May 25 Memorial Day Around the World for Free marathon, all on WGN Superstation:

An All-American Launch  Mon 5/25 2:00-3:00pm 307 WGNAMER

Caribbean: Bliss & Extreme  Mon 5/25 3:00-4:00pm 307 WGNAMER

South American Reality Check  Mon 5/25 4:00-5:00pm 307 WGNAMER

Peruvian Sunshine  Mon 5/25 5:00-6:00pm 307 WGNAMER

A Turn For the Worse  Mon 5/25 6:00-7:00pm 307 WGNAMER

South African Kaleidoscope  Mon 5/25 7:00-8:00pm 307 WGNAMER

In to the Safari Spirit  Tue 5/26 12:00-1:00am 307 WGNAMER
Thu 5/28 9:00-10:00pm 307 WGNAMER
Sun 5/31 11:00-12:00pm 307 WGNAMER

Also note the the episode after the next one (South Africa) will be at the unusual time of midnight between Monday and Tuesday with replays  on Thursday night and Sunday morning.

That also clarifies that the Sunday morning episodes are repeats of the shows premiering ususally on Monday nights.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
SOUTH AFRICA

In this episode Alex starts and finishes in South Africa, admittedly a large country. He is staying with Tom, a member of his network in a CapeTown suburb and goes to visit Boulders Beach, which is known for its penguins visiting seasonally and finds them in breeding season. Next he goes to the Great White Shark capital of Gansbaai. He and others are in a shark cage, but it is the off-season and there are no sharks to hassle them. He does see some Southern Right whales. His hosts serve him a braai, or South African barbecue. To me it appears to me the same type fixings you get in the U.S.

Next a network member, Simon, in the The Crags, near the city of George, indicates they can be their next host. Friends of Simon are returning from CapeTown to The Crags so they volunteer to drive Alex and Zsolt. This proves to be problematical when they have 2 fan belt breaks. The tow truck operator offers them a place to stay and a meal, so there is a silver lining on this cloud. 

Simon came to Swellendam to pick them up.  They went from Swellendam to the Karoo National Park region and its ostriches and went to the Cango Caves. They visit a cage of crocodiles and he has a close encounter with a large one. Alex gets to try the largest commercial bungy jump in the world at Blouwkrans Beach at 216 meters or 375 feet. When they finally get to George, Jan holds another braai in their honor. Then the plan is for Alex and Zsolt to hitchhike from the Port Elizabeth area to Joahnnesburg. Simon and his wife drive them to the area for long-distance truck travel and point out the license plates starting "GP" for Gauteng that are the ones they want (the NP for Natal being the ones they don't want). However, Simon has discovered that he can fly Alex to Johannesburg for 600 rand. At an average exhange rate of 10 rands per U.S. dollar) that's a reasonable $60. Nothing is said about Zsolt, which suggests in combination with Zsolt's separate transportation in Peru that Zsolt may have separate funding from Alex's claim of "no money". All four of them tour the Port Elizabeth area in Jan's car for 3 hours while waiting for this flight.

When they arrive at Johannesburg airport they are picked up by network member Caz, short for Carolyn, who takes them to her Praetoria home. There is another braai. Arrangments are made with a friend of Caz's husband for a visit to Soweto. Alex is told that there is a lot of crime all over South Africa and to be very careful, but of course nothing of that sort happens on his visit. Alex learns that the South African townships created by the defunct apartheid system have left a legacy of high density, poverty and crime. However the mood is hopeful that the future will be better. Next is a day trip to see hippopotami, black mamba snakes (fortunately there are none present), crocodiles and leopards. Then they transfer to the Pretoria home of Lo, who has a country home some distance north of Pretoria in Hazyview and they take their sons, Alex and Zsolt there. The boys and Alex ride 4 x 4 dune buggies. There is a beautiful Lundquist waterfall on the route.

This episode ends with Alex stating that they are close to Kruger National Park. Hazyview appears to be about 20 km (12 miles) from one of the many entrances to Kruger National Park. It appears that Kruger National Park is next on his trip. That is an expensive place to stay. Let's see how Alex finesses that in the next episode.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:33:52 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »
Update from Alex!

Around the World For Free MARATHON on Memorial Day, May 25th!

Now is your chance to catch up on earlier episodes of Around the World For Free! 
Monday, May 25th, WGN-America will be rebroadcasting the first six episodes from
11a PT/ 2p ET to 4p PT/ 7p ET.  ** Episodes listed below

ALSO - The NEW episode "Into the Safari Spirit" will air at 9:00p PT/12:00a ET -
another wide-ranging trek deeper into Africa! Alex works as a lifeguard in
exchange for food and lodging, and then it is off on an incredible open-top
vehicle safari in the massive Kruger National Park. Keep an eye out for hippos,
rhinos, and lions, just to name a few! The journey continues through the richly
textured capital of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, and then across the unforgettable
savannahs! And finally, Alex visits an authentic Masai village before continuing
his African journey towards Kenya. (Encore broadcast of “Into the Safari Spirit”
on Thursday, 6p PT/ 9p ET)

Alex and Zsolt are halfway home, and each episode gets better and better.

Please spread the word, and tell your friends by any means necessary.  Anyway
you can post this info to your Facebook, Myspace, and or Twitter page will
really help virally spread the word to tune it.

Thank you for tuning in!

The Around The World For Free Production Team
Alex Boylan, Zsolt Luka and Burton Roberts

**11a PT/ 2p ET - An All-American Launch (Alex’s departure from New      York
and down to Puerto Rico)
12p PT/ 3p ET - Caribbean: Bliss & Extreme (from the USVI's down to Trinidad &
Tobago)
          1p PT/ 4p ET - South American Reality Check (Venezuela to Peru)
          2p PT/ 5p ET - Peruvian Sunshine (Peru and Chile)
          3p PT/ 6p ET -  Desert & Cape (Chile to South Africa)
          4p PT/ 7p ET - South African Kaleidoscope
*For any more information on the show, go to
http://www.aroundtheworldforfree.com
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 06:42:36 AM »
Peach,

Your information on the Marathon matches mine. However, I am going to disagree with your timing for the next episode. It is not on at 9pm Monday night because WGN America a rare Monday night telecast of the Cubs game on for Memorial Day. I just rechecked the WGN schedule. This is it:

In to the Safari Spirit  Tue 5/26 12:00-1:00am  WGNAMER
Thu 5/28 9:00-10:00pm  WGNAMER
Sun 5/31 11:00-12:00pm  WGNAMER

Note that the next episode will be at the unusual time of midnight Eastern time between Monday and Tuesday with replays on Thursday night and Sunday morning.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
The schedule said 9 PM PT, so perhaps that is the difference, 12 MN  our time...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
Right you are, Peach. Alex is showing his West Coast bias. He is the only person I have seen in a nationwide publication that puts the West Coast time first.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
Update from Alex:

Around the World For Free -  For all those enjoying the marathon... one more episode to go, tell your friends... then at 9 PST  (12MN East Coast) the premiere of Ep 7 "Into the Safari Spirit!" - follow live creator commentary on the @atwff Twitter channel!
RFF's Golden Rule: