Author Topic: Phil in the news ..  (Read 345687 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Phil in the news ..
« Reply #625 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
Envelope Emmy Round Table: Reality hosts get real
By Elena Howe, Los Angeles Times

June 21, 2012
Ever wonder what goes into putting a reality show together? We here at The Envelope certainly did. From scripting out the challenges to winging it on camera, from taking a personal interest in contestants to weeding out the pretenders, reality hosts Padma Lakshmi ("Top Chef"), Phil Keoghan ("The Amazing Race"), Adam Savage (Mythbusters") and Heidi Klum ("Project Runway") covered it all when we asked them to chat with Times staff writer Amy Kaufman about their worlds.

Here are edited excerpts of that free-ranging conversation.

—Elena Howe

Phil's comments only:

Phil Keoghan: Well, once everything has been scouted, then I go through with the producers to find out exactly what's happening. I sit down and write the scripts with another producer. And that's a process of writing and rewriting because the challenges get changed. And then we present the scripts to the network. And then there's further changes. And then we leave with a script that is somewhat close to being finished. And then while we're out on the road, stuff has to get rewritten and so on. I guess it would start a few months before we leave. And then the shooting itself is around 21 days.

Kaufman: So you actually write the script in advance of the entire season?

Keoghan: Well, sometimes while we're on the road. And we'll be somewhere and the challenge will fall through, and so we have to redo it. The producers will quickly go out to scout something [new]. And then something has to be written. And so we have to do it on the fly when we're out there.

Keoghan: I think one of the benefits of our show in terms of casting is that we're not looking for people who are specifically good at one particular thing. They're not great cooks, they're not great designers, they're not great singers or dancers. They are so-called ordinary people who we then thrust into an extraordinary situation. There are absolutely people that walk into the audition process that we see who, straight away, you can tell that they're trying to come in with something that isn't really there, because they know that we're looking for good stories.

Kaufman: How can you tell?

Keoghan: Just the story is kind of forced. You can read it straightaway. And you know the audience is going to read that. It doesn't mean that we always get it right. But we have an incredible casting group who, over the years, have really put forward some great teams. And this last season, with Bopper and Mark, after 20 seasons of the show, I got to tell you, next to the cowboys and the Globetrotters who we've had on, Bopper and Mark are fighting for their child who is sick. And they are so genuine and pure in their desire to come on this race to win the money. You see that. You see it because it's on their faces. It's in everything they say. And then they came out and they exceeded our expectations in terms of what they gave. And there isn't a team that we've had on in the 20 seasons, I would say, that so captivated the audience.

Keoghan: I get invested. I can't help it. I see people take their first plane rides, go to a foreign country for the first time. And I get very, very invested. And I get really frustrated if I see somebody come on and not be giving it 100% in competing, because so many people want to be on the show. I want them to be there. I want them to be hungry. I want them to be competitive. And I think what we're talking about here with our shows is it's a fair competition. Our show is not about voting somebody off or you having the power over somebody else to affect the outcome of how they compete. They're out there competing in a fair race. And it's more than just the winning of the million dollars, Bopper and Mark didn't win the million dollars. But I know for a fact that their lives have changed forever. And there's something tremendously satisfying in knowing that you're a part of a show that not only offers the reward of winning the money, but these people will never be the same again. And for the close to 300 people that have been on our show, I still am in contact with many of them.

Keoghan: It's life-changing.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-en-reality-panel-20120621,0,3380463,full.story
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #626 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »
Globetrotting Kiwi turns celebrity into tool for good
Kiwi honour humbles Amazing Race host

LOIS CAIRNS
Last updated 09:43 24/06/2012

TV host Phil Keoghan is no stranger to winning awards – he has eight Emmys to his name – but the New Zealand leadership award he has just received will always hold a special place in his heart.

Keoghan, best known as the host of the network television series The Amazing Race, was one of six Emerging Leaders honoured on Friday night at the Sir Peter Blake Leadership Awards in Auckland.

"It's a huge honour to be honoured by your peers but this is much more of a personal award," said Keoghan, who flew in from Los Angeles for the awards ceremony, where former All Black Sir John Graham was presented with New Zealand's premier leadership honour, the Blake Medal. "Peter Blake was a legend and to be thought of as a potential leader in the same vein as him is an honour," Keoghan said.

Although Keoghan is best known as the host of The Amazing Race there is far more to the dynamic 44-year-old than just an award-winning TV show.

As his fame has grown, Keoghan has become more and more involved in promoting causes such as finding a cure for multiple sclerosis – he's raised more than $1 million for MS – and inspiring people to pursue their dreams. He has written a best-selling book, No Opportunity Wasted, and regularly speaks to schools, companies, universities and sporting organisations about his NOW philosophy.

After the Christchurch quake he flew immediately to New Zealand to film the devastation and help mobilise international support.

"I've tried to use my skills in television to have some impact. As you get older you tend to think more about how you are going to be remembered and certainly you question a little bit more why you do what you do and what impact you might be able to have. I've tried to leverage the things I do in television and the skills I have in television to do something for others," Keoghan told the Star-Times.

Keoghan's rise to fame began at 19 when he secured a job as a presenter on the children's television show Spot On. A series of other TV presenting roles on New Zealand television followed before Keoghan decided to try his luck overseas. He was considered by the American networks as a host for the hit reality TV series Survivor before securing the role as the host of The Amazing Race, which is now in its 20th season.

The father-of-one said that as a child growing up in Christchurch he never imagined he would lead such an interesting life but was inspired by the example of his parents who seized opportunities to work overseas and taught their children to take chances.

Ad Feedback  "I grew up feeling like anything was possible," said Keoghan.

"A lot of people are waiting for things to come to them but really you have to go after it yourself. And there isn't a rule book. My advice is don't look for a clear way ahead, just continue moving forward and following your passion and trust that when you come to a crossroad or a dead-end that you will know what to do."

AWARDS CELEBRATE GREAT LEADERSHIP

A stellar cast of New Zealanders has been honoured through the Sir Peter Blake Leadership Awards over the past eight years. The awards were established in Sir Peter Blake's memory in 2005 to inspire and celebrate great leadership.

Past recipients of the highest award, the Blake Medal, awarded on Friday night to Sir John Graham, include Sir Ray Avery, Sir Murray Halberg, Professor Paul Callaghan and Sir Stephen Tindall. Each year six Emerging Leaders are also named. This year they were: TV host and No Oppportunity Wasted (NOW) campaigner Phil Keoghan. Film-maker and director Roseanne Liang. All Blacks captain Richie McCaw. Company founder and managing director Rachel Taulelei. Te Puni Kokiri executive Kapu Waretini. Borderless Productions chief executive Qiujing Wong.

The leadership awards are open to all New Zealanders and were judged this year by an eight-strong selection panel whose members included Sir Ron Carter, Sir Eion Edgar, Sir John Anderson, and Fran Wilde.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/7160903/Globetrotting-Kiwi-turns-celebrity-into-tool-for-good
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #627 on: July 02, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
Fascinating Audio interview about his career and being awarded The Sir Peter Blake Award:

Well known for his role as host of The Amazing Race, Phil Keoghan joins Kerre Woodham to talk about receiving the Sir Peter Blake Leadership award among other things

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/player/ondemand/1671675171-Phil-Keoghan-receives-leadership-award
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:37:19 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #628 on: July 10, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
Phil reaches the $1 MILLION mark in raising money for MS!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_L6K_uJ7QPw?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_L6K_uJ7QPw?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #629 on: August 06, 2012, 05:25:38 AM »
Phil talks about his cycling team and his passion to beat MS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCS4DxbPyWk
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #631 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
Phil in NJ Sept 22-23!! CALLING ALL CYCLISTS!!

Sep 11, 2012

New Jersey –– Hundreds of area cyclists will roll through northern New Jersey coming September 22 and 23 as they pedal to help create a world free of multiple sclerosis. This year marks the 25th Anniversary Ride of the Great New Jersey Country Bike Ride organized by the New Jersey Metro Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

The clean country and air, quiet country roads and quaint towns offer cyclists a terrific feeling of clarity and freedom and are some of the reasons cyclists return year after year for this ride. While cyclists ride for many different reasons – camaraderie with other riders, exercise, the challenge, an organized tour, or fundraising – their efforts cumulatively aid in contributing toward the creation of a world free of multiple sclerosis, a chronic disease of the central nervous system.

Again this year Emmy-award winning TV star Phil Keoghan, host of CBS’s The Amazing, will join the hundreds of New Jersey area cyclists who will roll through New Jersey this coming September 22 and 23 as they pedal to help create a world free of multiple sclerosis. Phil’s infectious smile and dedication to those living with MS will make the 25th anniversary of the ride that much more special.

The chapter is challenging cyclists and volunteers to join the fun in the 25th anniversary Bike MS Ride. Cyclists can choose from 20, 50 and 100 mile options all starting on Saturday, September 22nd in Morristown. Cyclists will stop in some of New Jersey’s most beautiful country locations for quick refreshment breaks as they continue their way to Hanover for the end of day one. At the Hanover Marriott cyclists will be treated to a delicious BBQ dinner, massages, musical entertainment and an evening comedy show. Cyclists that choose to complete the full 100-mile ride and those cycling for their first 50-miles on Sunday, will rise early on Sept. 23rd for breakfast and hit the road back to Morristown, NJ.

All funds raised from the event will support critical MS research programs and fund local programs and services for those who are impacted by the disease, including more than 13,000 people in New Jersey and more than 400,000 people nationwide.

Cyclists and volunteers are welcome to register online at bikenjm.nationalMSsociety.org. Upon registering, cyclists will have access to online fundraising tools, making fundraising easier and more convenient than ever. Now is the time to join the movement.

The Bike MS “Great New Jersey Country Ride” is the last leg of the NJ Metro Chapter’s three-part Bike MS Ride Series. The “Coast the Coast” Ride took place in May of this year and the “Hops to Hops” ride in early September, all three rides expect to raise $1.9 million. 

For more information about Bike MS, please contact Jennifer Hivry at (201) 967-5599 or visit bikenjm.nationalmssociety.org.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/njm/chapter-news/chapter-news-detail/index.aspx?nid=6853
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #632 on: September 17, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »
From Peach's post in TAR21 Media:
Keoghan once was stuck in a Ukrainian detention facility until the U.S. ambassador -- a fan of the show -- had him sprung.
He describes it in this video: TAR10.9, I think. (Bonus quiz: what establishment is he exiting?  :whips  :lol:)

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #633 on: September 20, 2012, 12:00:43 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #634 on: September 20, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »

UPCOMING GUESTS ON "THE TALK" ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK, 9/17-9/21

Monday through Friday (2:00-3:00 PM, ET; 1:00-2:00 PM, PT)

Friday, Sept. 21
 Actor Jon Cryer (CBS’s “Two and a Half Men”); TV host Phil Keoghan (CBS’s “The Amazing Race”); Talk Takeaway: cooking with chef Aaron McCargo, Jr. (n)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #635 on: September 20, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
Thanks oddarone!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #636 on: September 20, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
Phil is biking for MS Saturday and Sunday and he will be a featured individual at a MS benefit dinner Saturday night. There was more about this posted by Peach about a week ago.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #637 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:49 PM »
Phil at the Emmy's:

The Amazing Race received yet another win for Outstanding Reality-Competition Program at the 2012 Emmys and host Phil Keoghan couldn’t be any prouder of the series.

The show, which has won 13 Emmys since its debut in 2001, beat out nominees The Voice, Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef and Project Runway during Sunday night’s awards ceremony.

“The nomination to me is a real badge of honor for any show,” Keoghan told Celebuzz on the red carpet. “It’s an acknowledgement of a lot of hard work.”

He continued:

“We have been so lucky to have been nominated so many times that we really fight and work really, really hard to try to keep [the show] going.”

In fact, The Amazing Race‘s decade-long success has allowed Koeghan’s daughter, Elle, to attend the Emmys thanks to a deal she struck with her father when she was a kid.

“I’ve been lucky enough to come here for 10 years and it’s the first time I’ve brought my daughter,” he revealed to Celebuzz. “I promised her if I’m lucky enough to be nominated when you’re 16 years old, you can walk the carpet with me — so this is kind of cool.”

“Time goes fast,” he added, smiling.

VIDEO here:
http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-09-23/emmys-2012-the-amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-calls-shows-new-emmy-win-a-badge-of-honor-video/?utm_source=Celebuzz&utm_medium=twitter

And wow...Elle grew up!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #638 on: September 24, 2012, 03:06:48 AM »
Nice two part Interview with Phil about TAR 21 and his MS work:

Amazing Race Host Phil Keoghan Part 1:  Phil Keoghan is one man who has literally traveled the world, and inspired millions of people to do the same. Whether it's by plane, car, bike or feet, it's always an "Amazing Race” for Phil Keoghan.

http://better.tv/view/celebrities-celebrities2-amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-part-1

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #639 on: September 24, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
Phil at the Emmy's:

The Amazing Race received yet another win for Outstanding Reality-Competition Program at the 2012 Emmys and host Phil Keoghan couldn’t be any prouder of the series.

The show, which has won 13 Emmys since its debut in 2001, beat out nominees The Voice, Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef and Project Runway during Sunday night’s awards ceremony.

“The nomination to me is a real badge of honor for any show,” Keoghan told Celebuzz on the red carpet. “It’s an acknowledgement of a lot of hard work.”

He continued:

“We have been so lucky to have been nominated so many times that we really fight and work really, really hard to try to keep [the show] going.”

In fact, The Amazing Race‘s decade-long success has allowed Koeghan’s daughter, Elle, to attend the Emmys thanks to a deal she struck with her father when she was a kid.

“I’ve been lucky enough to come here for 10 years and it’s the first time I’ve brought my daughter,” he revealed to Celebuzz. “I promised her if I’m lucky enough to be nominated when you’re 16 years old, you can walk the carpet with me — so this is kind of cool.”

“Time goes fast,” he added, smiling.

VIDEO here:
http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-09-23/emmys-2012-the-amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-calls-shows-new-emmy-win-a-badge-of-honor-video/?utm_source=Celebuzz&utm_medium=twitter

And wow...Elle grew up!!

She wants to be in the industry. Maybe we already have Phil' succesor for TAR50+ :lol: !
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #640 on: September 29, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #642 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
Rick Steve's will be interviewing Phil tomorrow Oct 26, and you can call in a question!

http://blog.ricksteves.com/?p=8245

Details on calling in:

Friday, October 26, 2012

Scheduled Time (Pacific Time)  Topic
11 am Pacific Time
 Phil Keoghan — Hosting 'The Amazing Race' (11:00am PT / 2:00pm ET)

11:20 am Pacific Time
 Phil Keoghan's Amazing Travels (11:20am PT / 2:20pm ET)

http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/interview/interview_schedule.cfm

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #643 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
This is AWESOME!

Phil Keoghan Phil KeoghanVerified@PhilKeoghan 1 Nov
Another innovative safety video from @FlyAirNZ with cameo from #PeterJackson

http://www.youtube.com/airnewzealand  @NoOppWasted

9:17 AM - 1 Nov 12 ·     
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cBlRbrB_Gnc?version=3&amp;amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cBlRbrB_Gnc?version=3&amp;amp;hl</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #646 on: December 08, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Phil talks about tomorrow's season finale.
-------------
Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan: The Finale Is Wide Open

Dec 7, 2012 03:01 PM ET

Sunday's Amazing Race finale won't have any drama like last season, but Phil Keoghan promises a legitimate tight finish. "It's what we always want, but can never guarantee," he tells TVGuide.com. The two-hour closer will find the final four teams — Chippendales Jaymes and James, twins Natalie and Nadiya, couple Trey and Lexi, and The Fabulous Beekman Boys' Josh and Brent — racing through France, where one team will be eliminated. The final three will then head to New York City, where they'll take on a memory task that numerous fans predicted would be the final challenge.

Get the scoop on what else to expect Sunday — and next season — from Keoghan below.

You've said you're terrible at predicting the final teams and the winner. How did you do this time?
Phil Keoghan: Truthfully, I don't think I've ever been right and I didn't break the streak this season.  I knew at the start that [the winners] were a strong team, but I didn't pick them to win the whole thing.

What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of each team?
Keoghan: The twins' strength is their relationship — they finish each other sentences. Their weakness is sometimes they're easily distracted and need to focus. The Beekmans are the underdogs and they're very practical ... but they are lacking in physicality. The Chippendales have a positive attitude and a great friendship. They could be overly confident heading into the finale and they sometimes rush into things without thinking them through. Trey and Lexi — youth is on their side, physically. But you wonder if their lack of traveling abroad will catch up with them at some point.

What can we expect in the final legs? The preview shows the memory task is matching "hello" and "goodbye" with each country on the Race, which a lot of people predicted based on the subtitles every episode.
Keoghan: We were wondering if fans would pick up on that new wrinkle this season! I loved having the greeters a little more involved at the Pit Stops. The finale is wide open. The Loire Valley in France — it's honestly breathtaking with a chateau around every corner. ... The final three travel to New York City, where the teams test out their magic skills in one of Houdini's greatest feats. And then there's the final brainteaser Roadblock [with the greetings]. It's so much to fit into two hours of television. I think you'll be exhausted by the finish line.

Did any teams take note of the different "hellos" and "goodbyes" all the greeters said?
Keoghan: Some of the teams started to suspect that something was up with the "hellos" and "goodbyes." They even promoted the greeters on several occasions, but I think they were unsure as to why it was happening.

Is there any forgotten task type of drama on the final leg like last season?
Keoghan: Well, this was just a great finish for us with the teams being separated by mere minutes. It's what we always want, but can never guarantee.

Do you think fans will be happy with the winner? The twins are very divisive after the money fiasco and some fans don't like that the Beekmans were ready to throw in the towel for Abbie and Ryan.
Keoghan: As I've always said with all of our winners, some people will be happy with who wins and others will not. It really depends on who you're rooting for throughout the season. Putting all allegiances aside — you can make that argument that any team that makes it to this stage of the Race deserves to win.

Are you surprised that there has been so much teamwork this season?
Keoghan: Not really. There are always teams who will help each other out along the course of the Race. The alliance between the Chippendales, Trey and Lexi, and the twins was a little more involved than we've seen in the past, but teamwork is always a factor within any season.

Why has it taken so long for teams to strategically use the Double U-Turn the way they did? They essentially made a Double U-Turn into a single U-Turn.
Keoghan: I have no idea, but I will never understand why a team wouldn't always want to U-turn another.  It's a valuable device that can be used to slow down another team. Why not use it?

What do you make of Abbie and Ryan and the Beekmans working together and waiting for each other instead of racing against each other to avoid last place?
Keoghan: To be honest, I thought it was a huge risk. No matter what efforts the teams make to jump on the mat at the same time we have the technology in place to determine exact placements.

Would you have eliminated the Beekmans in Amsterdam if they had told you to?
Keoghan: We would never want to see any team give up on the Race and would try to encourage them to stay in the hunt.  If you remember, during Season 3, Flo and Zach wanted to give up on the 12th leg and then miraculously went on to win the whole thing.  However, that said, we can't force a team to race if they choose to give up because of injury, exhaustion or due to a meltdown. I was happy to see both Abbie and Ryan and the Beekmans fight to the end.  It's so difficult to be picked for the show that you never want anyone to give up on this opportunity.

A lot of fans were angry that the twins weren't punished for keeping the rockers' money. Were they not penalized because the rockers lost the money and the money was fair game?
Keoghan: Yes, they weren't penalized because we determined that the rockers had lost the money before the twins had picked it up.   

How difficult was the first Moscow leg for you between the rockers losing their passport and two teams being almost a day behind?
Keoghan: Extremely difficult! We were out all night long in the cold — lots of logistical conversations about various scenarios. It reminded me of the long night we had during Season 11 in Poland when we were outside in freezing cold temperatures for 19 hours straight. That's when I long for Seacrest's trailer.

There have been missing passports in four of the last nine seasons. Why do you think it's happening so often now?
Keoghan: I think the show just provides the perfect ingredients for losing a passport: stress, jetlag, pressure, culture shock and the heat of competition.

Are you shocked that people still don't learn how to drive stick before doing the Race? How could the twins just take one class?
Keoghan: I don't think anyone should get a license unless they can drive a stick. It's the only true way to master controlling a vehicle. I taught my daughter how to drive a stick shift on a farm in New Zealand when she was 12 because I never wanted her to be anywhere in the world where she couldn't jump behind the wheel of any vehicle and operate manual gears. Only knowing automatic is pretty much like driving a golf cart on a golf course — just my opinion.  There are a few essential skills needed to be on the Race and how anybody could step up to the starting line without mastering a gearbox is a recipe for disaster.

What can you tell us about next season? Is the $1 million bonus going to be back?
Keoghan: No $1 million bonus for next season. We just wrapped filming this installment and all I can tell you is that I've lost between 10-15 pounds on this edition, and all I want for Christmas is a bed and a long nap!

The Amazing Race airs Sundays at 8/7c on CBS. Season 22 will premiere Sunday, Feb. 17 at 8/7c. Who do you think will win?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Finale-Phil-Keoghan-1057395.aspx

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #647 on: December 19, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
Check out Rick Steves interview with Phil Keoghan - recorded back in October. http://www.ricksteves.com

About 14:30 in to the Rick Steves show Phil gives us an inside look at The Amazing Race.
Click through to the podcast from here:
http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/protected/descriptions.cfm?showID=427

A really astute question asked by a person of obviously superior intellect around 24:40  :gnome
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #648 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:32 PM »
Awesome question! And SO reassuring to hear Phil say he doesn't hate "spoilers"! :whew
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #649 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »

[12/20/12 - 12:49 PM]
"I Get That a Lot," Featuring Popular Celebrities Pranking Everyday People, Returns with a One-Hour Special on Wednesday, January 9
Cheech Marin, Phil Keoghan, Jeff Gordon, Bruce Jenner, Jane Seymour and the late Larry Hagman are featured in the episode.
[via press release from CBS]

"I GET THAT A LOT," FEATURING POPULAR CELEBRITIES PRANKING EVERYDAY PEOPLE, RETURNS WITH A ONE-HOUR SPECIAL ON WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 9

Edition Stars Cheech Marin, Phil Keoghan, Jeff Gordon, Bruce Jenner, Jane Seymour and Larry Hagman

I GET THAT A LOT, featuring popular stars pulling pranks on everyday people, returns with its fifth one-hour special, to be broadcast Wednesday, Jan. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Celebrity participants include "The Amazing Race's" Phil Keoghan working at a sporting goods store, Olympian and Kardashian patriarch Bruce Jenner selling shoes in a high-end boutique, actress Jane Seymour working as an inept home goods store greeter, actor and comedian Cheech Marin behind the counter at party supply store, racing superstar Jeff Gordon selling automotive supplies and the late Larry Hagman offering food samples at a membership warehouse shopping club.

Hagman's segment was shot Sept. 7, 2012 in Santa Clarita, California. "Larry was amazing to work with," says Executive Producer Eric Schotz. "I think what people didn't know about Larry Hagman is that he was a prankster at heart. He loved the fact that he could interact with his fans and the fans reactions when they found out it was him are priceless."

I GET THAT A LOT features celebrities tricking everyday citizens in cases of supposed "mistaken identity." Working ordinary jobs, these celebrities confuse customers who can't decide if it's the actual celebrity or an astonishing look-alike. As these celebrities continue to deny their true identities, various reactions from their customers elicit exasperated and hilarious responses.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/12/20/i-get-that-a-lot-featuring-popular-celebrities-pranking-everyday-people-returns-with-a-one-hour-special-on-wednesday-january-9-032010/20121220cbs04/#xyeX6QfB6RVgsRuL.99