Author Topic: Phil in the news ..  (Read 346195 times)

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
Re: Phil in the news ..
« Reply #525 on: March 29, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
Nice video.
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #529 on: May 07, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »
I couldn't figure out where to put this, but ir is wonderful news!

According to TVLine.com, referring to TV Guide magazine, Phil has signed a new deal for "several more" years to host TAR, and earns a promotion to co-Executive Producer:
• Looks like CBS’ The Amazing Race isn’t going anywhere any time soon: Host Phil Keoghan has signed a deal for “several more years,” part of which awards him the title of co-executive producer, says TV Guide Magazine.

The online version of the article appears (click Link) here and contains a filming spoiler for TAR 19, which is why I won't quote it in this thread.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #531 on: May 22, 2011, 03:23:37 AM »
Flying Cheese, Zorbs & HD: Phil Keoghan Looks Back on 10 Years of 'Amazing Race'
by Jean Bentley, posted May 9th 2011 12:20PM

After a decade of hosting 'The Amazing Race,' which wrapped up its 18th season last night, Phil Keoghan could use some sleep.

"With my job and my lifestyle, I think next to a beautiful glass of red wine ... I would say sleep is right up there with my favorite things in the world," he told AOL TV when he called us from the road.

Keoghan was on the eighth stop of his 10-city film tour to promote 'The Ride,' a documentary he made about his 2009 cross-country bike ride for charity. But Keoghan's used to a fast-paced life. When he's filming an installment of CBS's long-running reality competition 'The Amazing Race,' four hours of sleep a night is considered a luxury.

"The entire season of 'The Amazing Race' is shot in 23 days. That means 12 episodes and less than two days to complete one episode," he said.

AOL TV: What is your schedule like when you're filming?
Phil Keoghan: I need to be there, obviously, at the beginning. Then I need to be at the pit stop before any of the teams, and I need to be there until the last team. So there have been many occasions where the first team to arrive has started the next leg of the race while I'm standing and waiting at the pit stop for the last team to arrive. So we're now juggling, trying to work out, "How do I leapfrog ahead of that first team so I can get to all the challenges to do stand-ups, but still be ahead of that first team to be waiting for them when they arrive at the end of that next leg of the race?"

The other thing is I'm constantly on the phone. I have a phone to my ear the entire leg of the race collecting information about what's going on, so that by the time they get to the pit stop and I then have to interview them, I know what the hell's happened. If I'm not armed with that information, I can't do my interviews. Otherwise I'm standing there like an idiot.

You can imagine, knowing all of that, when somebody says to me "What are you doing?" like I'm sitting around a pool having a pina colada, I'm like "Uh, you have no idea." Trust me, I'm not having a pina colada. Those 23 days are brutal. I'm washing my hair on the side of the road. Sometimes we won't get to a hotel for four days. I shave wherever I can. It's not like there's a wardrobe person or anything out there with me. A lot of times people will say to me "Oh my god, you looked like crap last night on the show." Yeah, no kidding! I felt like crap, too!

Do you have any favorite challenges from the past 10 years?
For me, my favorite all-time race moment is the cheese challenge in Switzerland [in Season 14]. That was just so off-the-hook good, it's going to be hard to beat that. Any time you hear a quote like "Watch out for the cheese," you've got to be watching a pretty interesting show. When was the last time you saw a piece of cheese rolling down the hill at 50 miles an hour and people were dodging the rolling piece of cheese as it was flying down the hill towards the locals, who were slightly inebriated, and the cheese is flying into fences? I wish I could tell you it was organized chaos -- it was just chaos. It got out of hand, and thankfully no human beings were killed by cheese in the making of the television show. There were some dangerous pieces of cheese flying down the hill and we just didn't see it playing out quite like that. But it certainly made for a good piece of TV.

The watermelon incident was pretty crazy, too ...
We test every single challenge. We tested the cheese, we tested the watermelon challenge. We run it through different scenarios. A big person will pull back the catapult, a small person will pull back the catapult. We tested with it pulling back halfway, full, the whole thing. Never, ever did we see that somehow she would find a way to reverse catapult a watermelon back into her face. I don't even know now, after it's happened, how that happened. How did that happen? It was crazy.

Now, since my whole family watches the show, I decided to call my parents and see if they had any questions for you. So the rest of these questions are from my family.
I love that!

When the race starts, do you have a gut feeling of who's going to be the strongest team?
No, I never do, and I think there's nobody on the race in our production that has ever been good at predicting who's going to do well. Earlier on we used to lay down a little bit of money to see if we could bet on it. We'd throw down a dollar and have a little bit of a friendly bet, and none of us ever were even remotely close so we stopped the betting. It just wasn't viable. So no, we're hopeless. But you know, I think that's a positive. The race is so unpredictable, and that's what makes it work.

I know production tests the challenges, but have you tested any of them personally?
Yeah, on scouts I have tested them. I set up the shows in New Zealand, so I did there. And there have been quite a few things on the show that I have shot over the years in my other work, just because I've been working in the business for 25 years. I've had a career of doing ridiculous things in front of a camera, so some of those have reappeared on 'The Amazing Race' for sure.

Do you have any favorites?
One of the things I tested was the zorb in New Zealand -- you know, the big beach ball that rolls down the hill from Season 5. A friend of mine created that, so I tested it on the scout down a very steep hill on a friend of mine's farm. Then the bungee jumping -- my history with bungee jumping goes back to the late '80s with a friend of mine who co-created bungee jumping. We have an unofficial world record where nine of us leapt off at one time which we broke back in 2006, and before that we had the unofficial record in 1999 with eight of us. Actually there are a couple of things in the finale this season down in Miami that I shot back in the 90s. I used to work on a show where I was basically out on the road doing ridiculous, crazy things, so some of those things reappear in this final episode.

I've done so much of this over the years ... that I really get a kick out of watching people on 'Amazing Race' do them. I don't have this burning desire to have to do everything they do. I actually really enjoy setting it up and helping them do it and see them get through it.

If you were going to be a contestant, who would your teammate be?
Probably my dad. My dad and I get on really well. He's almost 70; he's very fit; he's one of the smartest people I know. He's like a walking encyclopedia. We're very compatible. We've traveled a lot together. We drove across the country in 2005 to promote my book. We drove 10 cities, 4,000 miles in 10 days, and we took one wrong turn the whole drive. We shared the driving. We're just very compatible when we travel. He's physically and mentally very strong. He would be great. Trust me, I hope I'm 69, 70 and that powerful. I hope I'm as fit as him.

Are you getting ready to shoot a new season?
We're going to be shooting over the summer, we've been lining up our cast for 19 and are very excited about the next season, of course. Hopefully we'll be getting picked up for a while yet. I think the show, the season, with the advent of adding HD -- the show was screaming for HD and I think it's gone to a new level.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/05/09/phil-keoghan-the-amazing-race-10-years/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #532 on: May 22, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »
From http://twitter.com/PhilKeoghan:

Heading out to #NewYork for a frantic 36 hour trip to do a media announcement about a new project, very exciting.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #533 on: May 24, 2011, 12:40:52 AM »
ooooh :o
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
And here it is:

Novartis teams up with Phil Keoghan, host of “The Amazing Race,” to raise awareness for multiple sclerosis through inspirational national bike tour
New professional cycling team, called NOW and Novartis for MS, to compete nationally and ride tandem with MS patients in National MS Society’s bike rides
Program kicks-off on the eve of World MS Day, inspiring communities to better understand MS and how it affects the over 400,000 Americans living with MS
Builds on Keoghan’s longstanding commitment to MS, including his challenging coast-to-coast cycle for MS, as documented in his 2011 film, “The Ride”
East Hanover, New Jersey, May 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation today announced its collaboration with Phil Keoghan, host of “The Amazing Race” and founder of No Opportunity Wasted (NOW), to create NOW and Novartis for MS, an inspirational cycling team of professional female cyclists. These world class riders will be paired with a person with multiple sclerosis (MS) and participate in a 10 city tour of National MS Society’s Bike MS rides to inspire communities to achieve a deeper understanding of MS and how people are affected by the disease. The first leg of the Bike MS tour takes place Saturday, June 25, near Denver, CO. The professional cyclists also will compete nationally on the women’s cycling race circuit, to further support MS awareness.

“Bringing attention to MS is a personal passion and ongoing mission for me, and I am thrilled to be lending my voice to this new program in support of this cause,” said Phil Keoghan, the founder of NOW, a brand and philosophy of living life to the fullest. “This project is near and dear to our hearts; we have a relative who has been battling MS for 14 years, it’s time to all come together in the fight against it.”

As part of NOW and Novartis for MS, 10 people with MS will participate in the tour serving as inspirational examples of people who are taking control and refusing to let their disease define them. MS is an often disabling disease that is chronic and progressive. This disease typically strikes during the prime of someone’s life, between the ages of 20 and 50.

“The unpredictability of MS is one of the most difficult things to cope with, so taking control of my disease to the best of my ability is what’s empowering for me,” said Ana Molé, who was diagnosed with MS in 2001. “I’m proud to be on the frontlines of this program and showing, first hand, on behalf of the over 400,000 Americans living with the disease, that we do not have to be defined by it.”

In 2009, Keoghan embarked on a challenging 3,500-mile bike ride across America that raised over $500,000 for the National MS Society. He documented this journey through “The Ride,” a film that has been shown nationwide in 2011, and with additional fundraising efforts and proceeds from the box office, has raised $200,000 more for the organization.

The NOW and Novartis for MS team will participate in the following National MS Society’s Bike MS rides in or around: Denver, CO (June 25); Boston, MA (July 16); Minneapolis, MN (July 24); Cleveland, OH (Aug. 13); Santa Fe, NM (Aug. 27); Memphis, TN (Sept. 10); Detroit, MI (Sept. 17); Morristown, NJ (Sept. 24); St. Augustine, FL (Oct. 1) and Ventura, CA (Oct.1). The NOW and Novartis for MS tour will conclude with the Ventura ride, where Keoghan will join the team to ride on Saturday, October 1.

For information about team members, events and ways to participate, visit www.noopportunitywasted.com.

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/novartis/49801/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
Keep up the good work, Phil.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #536 on: May 27, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
Phil talks MS on the DR Drew Show for World MS Day

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #537 on: May 31, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »
Happy birthday Phil! 44 years young!
 :party: :hbday: :partie:
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #538 on: May 31, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
:party:  :hbday:

Happy Birthday, Phil Keoghan!
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #539 on: May 31, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL!

Mary(TAR10/11) posted on her Facebook saying that they celebrated his birthday in Mongolia on this day, five years ago!  :<3 How time flies!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #540 on: June 10, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
Phil's in Tulsa: June 10

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa Tough racers are taking off through downtown. Friday's route circles around the Blue Dome District.

The Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan is in town and part of the action. Phil is a sponsor for the No OportunitiesWasted, or NOW, and Novartis for M.S. Professional Women's Cycling

A team he says he hopes will bring awareness to M.S. and help him check another goal off of his list.
Read more here:

http://www.newson6.com/story/14885156/amazing-race-star-part-of-the-tulsa-tough-action
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #541 on: June 20, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »
The Hollywood Reporter has just posted a roundtable on reality programming that included Phil as a participant. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-reality-roundtable-203417
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #542 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
The Hollywood Reporter has just posted a roundtable on reality programming that included Phil as a participant. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-reality-roundtable-203417

I only see 2 +minutes? Poor Phil only got to nod once. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #543 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »

I only see 2 +minutes? Poor Phil only got to nod once. :lol:

:lol: Poor Phil!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
http://publications.nationalmssociety.org/momentum/fall2011?sub_id=Ucyxwuh1PKkU#pg1

Check this out!

Phil cover the magazine of MS Society! :) Then you can click Phil Keoghan and the MS Research Revolution.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #547 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
'Amazing Race' host Phil Keoghan revved up for Emmy races By Rob LicuriaAug 16 2011

"The Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan admits that after winning for seven years in a row losing the Emmy last year to "Top Chef" was a shock. However, he says, "It's only made us hungrier to try to make the show as good as we can make it. For us, we just took it like 'OK, we've got to lift our game even more.'"

"The Amazing Race" had owned the Reality Competition award since it was introduced in 2003. The show follows pairs of contestants who travel the world completing complicated tasks and hair-raising stunts in the hope of avoiding elimination. Keoghan told Gold Derby, "I wish there was a behind-the-scenes special on how the show was made because I think it would really shock people; people would be genuinely shocked if they saw just what happens, [and] just the length of time it takes to make an entire season."

As he revealed to senior editors Rob Licuria and Chris Beachum, "it takes 23 days to shoot 12 shows ... [which] means that people are operating with sleep deprivation and under tremendous pressure and you don't know what the weather is going to do, and you don't know what's going to happen politically in a place where we are, whether the permits are going to [be valid], and whether someone's going to kick us out..." Indeed, Keoghan says that last season, "in one day the whole world turned upside down in the place that we were at and we had to pull together our show ... and the race kept rolling [even though] we had to completely change course; quite literally change course. And it's a testament to the skill level of the people that we have on the show."

Phil Keoghan has contended for Best Reality Host for all three yers of that category, always losing to Jeff Probst ("Survivor").  Keoghan says the toughest part of the job, "is just getting there and being awake and having some synapses that are able to fire to be able to host this show." He sees his role as being completely different to that of his competitors: "What I do on camera, that's not the real test of being able to host this show. It's much more about stamina, resilience, working under pressure, having to write stuff on the fly [and] having to gather information."

Keoghan made mention of first-time nominee Cat Deeley ("So You Think You Can Dance"). "What's interesting about Cat is ... ten years ago, when I started hosting in network television ... there was some concern about me having an accent on a network television show ... [where executives would say] 'Oh, he's got an accent, he's from New Zealand!' ... you've got all these foreign voices in network primetime television now. I don't know if anybody would've imagined that a Kiwi and an Englishwoman would be nominated in the host category! I don’t think they saw that coming!"

Video: http://blip.tv/play/AYLNoVIC

http://www.goldderby.com/emmys/news/1781/amazing-race-host-phil-keoghan-revved-up-for-emmy-races-%5Bvideo%5D.html

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #548 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
Let's put any discussion on "the world turning upside down" here please:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,25487.msg648441.html#msg648441

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #549 on: August 29, 2011, 08:06:37 AM »
Insiders: Events

By Variety Staff

TODAY: Thesps and producers from "Happy Endings" take part in a panel sesh on the ABC laffer. Paley Center for Media in BevHills. PaleyCenter.org WEDNESDAY: The Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation and Taco Bell Foundation unveil the Graduates to Go Studios mentoring program at the L.A. Harbor Boys & Girls Club in San Pedro. TacoBellFoundationforTeens.org THURSDAY: The 47th annual Cinecon Classic and Rare Film Festival pays tribute to the National Film Preservation Foundation with screenings of recent projects restored by the foundation. www.Cinecon.org SEPT. 6: AMPAS screens Georges Melies' 1902 landmark "A Trip to the Moon" in its original hand-colored version, along with other rare early films. Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Oscars.org SEPT. 9: The Crew Call 2011: Celebrating the Craft exhibit of photos opens in AMPAS' Grand Lobby Gallery. Through Dec. 18. Oscars.org SEPT. 12: Regal Ent. Group prexy Greg Dunn and "The Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan are honorees at the 37th annual Dinner of Champions benefitting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Century Plaza Hotel. DinnerofChampions.com

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118041920?refCatId=14