Author Topic: Phil in the news ..  (Read 346085 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Phil in the news ..
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »
That would be an excellent choice historically...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:58 PM »
This is too good to lose...

Phil's whole Bonnie Hunt Show interview:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2008, 12:17:45 AM »
Thanks for that :hearts:

I had looked for it earlier without success

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »
Phil was picked as an "Immigrant of the Week" today by The Immigration Daily, along with Obama adviser Sonal Shah and US Sen Mel Martinez! I didn't know that "He holds the world record for bungee jumping"!!

Immigrants Of The Week: Phil Keoghan, Sonal Shah, and Mel Martinez
by Greg Siskind

IMMIGRANT OF THE DAY: PHIL KEOGHAN - TELEVISION PERSONALITY

Phil Keoghan: I am not a big fan of most reality television shows, but one big exception is CBS' The Amazing Race. I watch it religiously with my kids every Sunday night and it's a fun way for us to see the world from our living room.

One of the ingredients that makes the show a hit is Phil Keoghan, the show's New Zealand-born host. Phil has won six Emmys for his television work and is an adventurer in his personal life. He holds the world record for bungee jumping, has gone diving in the world's longest underwater caves and has dined at the top of an erupting volcano.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2008,1119-siskind.shtm

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »
I took it as a personal challenge to find out the details of Phil's world record for bugee jumping. I have looked at 60 theoretically appropriate articles on Phil going back years and this is what I found:

1. There is no Guinness World Record for bungee jumping as they consider it too dangerous and do not want to encourage it.
2. All but one reference to Phil's record, if they cite anything at all, cite Phil's website as the source.
3. The only reference who can go beyond that (and it isn't very far beyond) is:
Phil's Bungee Record
4. The actual citation in that article by David Bloomberg of RealityNewsOnline.com is "setting a world record for group bungee jumping."

So that's the story. Phil got the record for group bungee jumping. There are no details on how many in the group or how far down they went. If you can find any, please let me know.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
More Phil-ish stuff, scanned from next weeks tv guide

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
Oh wow...wish we could peek into those journals! Maybe he'll do a book one day....

"Travels with Phil"---yum!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »
Oh wow...wish we could peek into those journals! Maybe he'll do a book one day....

"Travels with Phil"---yum!!
I can picture it now....

Chapter 2 - Waiting at the Mat

"One of my favorite moments was in Mozambique during All-Stars when Oswald & Danny came running at me. They had been carrying bags of coal and were as dirty as dirty could be. They definitely needed a shower, but instead of walking to the mat and getting checked in, they wanted to give me a hug, but I was having none of that. They chased me for five minutes. Luckily, they never caught me, but I pulled out my trusty Katadyn Micro Bottle Water Filter and sprayed them. This calmed them down and we all huffed and puffed back to the mat. Had I not been carrying my Micro Bottle, we still would be running around Mozambique."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:46:50 PM by TARAsia Fan »
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
Best Mat Moment EVER!!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »
So that's the story. Phil got the record for group bungee jumping. There are no details on how many in the group or how far down they went. If you can find any, please let me know.

I saw it on one of Phil's other shows once, maybe Adventure Crazy? but I'm not sure. It was done in Queenstown NZ, and about 10 of them all jumped off the bridge in a group with their feet all tied together. Sorry I don't have more exact details than that, it was a long time ago when I saw it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2008, 11:47:24 PM »
Since I went thru all the trouble of registering and junk  :lol: (thought it was something new)

20 Nov 2008

TV+ Man of the world Travelling the world, experiencing lifechanging adventures – it’s all in a day’s work for Phil Keoghan. GUY DAVIS tagged along with the host of Seven’s The Amazing Race.
Phil Keoghan is no stranger to taking risks. The adventureseeking New Zealander has swum the open ocean (nearly getting hit by an oil tanker in the process), scuba-dived in underwater caves and enjoyed a very nice meal on top of an active volcano.

Wanderlust: The Amazing Race’s Phil Keoghan is travelling strong.

But the biggest risk he’s ever taken? Well, that involved leaving New Zealand in the 1990s and travelling to New York City with nothing but a backpack and a dream – to make it as a TV presenter in the United States.

“Not knowing anybody and trying to get a job in the industry when it was unheard of for a foreigner to get work was a big thing for me,” he said.

It didn’t take Keoghan long to get his foot in the door, but there were still a few hiccups along the way, such as his bid to land the hosting job on the popular reality-TV series Survivor.

“One of the reasons I was told that I didn’t get the job was that I was a New Zealander,” he said. “They gave me a shot but they asked me to Americanise my voice. It’ll be a while before you hear a pure New Zealand accent on American television.”

While the Survivor job didn’t pan out, Keoghan eventually landed a role eminently well-suited to his adventurous spirit – presenting The Amazing Race.

And while the globetrotting challenge may have initially been regarded by some as a Survivor knock-off, its staying power (it’s now in its 13th season) and critical acclaim (it’s won seven Emmy awards) have made it a force to be reckoned with.

The 13th season of The Amazing Race – now airing on Seven – has 11 teams of two (including a pair of fraternity brothers, a mother and son and a separated couple looking to reconnect) taking off on an epic endurance test that takes them to destinations both new and familiar to the show’s viewers.

Aside from the opportunity to visit myriad foreign lands, the last team standing also takes home a cool million.

For the seventh time, the show takes its contestants to India, one of Keoghan’s personal favourites. “I don’t know a more diverse, colourful, dynamic country in the world,” he said.
He adds that for some of the show’s participants, who are used to “the sameness and comfort level” living in America can provide, travelling to India is “like being on another planet”.

The Amazing Race’s current season also returned to Keoghan’s home turf of New Zealand for the third time, where the contestants met the host’s dad, John Keoghan.

“I was able to help him celebrate his 66th birthday,” smiled the younger Keoghan.

The host was also happy to showcase some of his country’s native culture.

As far as new destinations are concerned, the 13th season takes its contestants to places as far-flung as Cambodia, Bolivia and the former Soviet republic Kazakhstan.

After what seemed like a shaky beginning, The Amazing Race well and truly found its feel a few seasons into its run and is now a well-established reality-TV staple. According to Keoghan, winning its first Emmy award in 2003 helped consolidate its status.

“When you get an award like that – and you’re up against the best of the best, like Survivor and American Idol – people go, ‘Well, hold on, what’s this show?’” he said.

While he may be something of an adventurer, although he claims to have eased back on his daredevil ways since becoming a husband and father, Keoghan draws the line at taking part in the Amazing Race himself.

“I wouldn’t go on the Race,” he said. “I don’t want to be examined by millions. If it was just an adventure, that would be very different. I admire the contestants for putting themselves out there and I feel like we’re giving them an incredible opportunity, but I wouldn’t do it. I like to watch on the sidelines.”

Seven, Thursday at 8.30pm

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2008, 04:46:56 PM »
And before that he is filming Million Dollar Password on August 4 with Julie Chen!!

Mon August 4, 2008 2:30 PM
Julie Chen & Phil Keoghan

Regis Philbin returns to prime time to host MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD, a modern update of one of television's greatest game shows. This update takes the classic game and brings it to the 21st century with big celebrities, big money and big stakes. Contestants team up with some of the hottest stars, from Rosie O'Donnell, Betty White, Rachael Ray and Neil Patrick Harris to "High School Musical's" Monique Coleman, to earn up to one million dollars. One player from the team is told secret passwords and can use only one-word clues to get the teammate to guess them. If the player and the celebrity can work well together and become a solid team, that player could uncover the MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD.

http://www.ocatv.com/shows/show/213

***NOTE TO EDITORS: REVISED PREMIERE DATE -- THE FOLLOWING ARE AIR DATES FOR THE CELEBRITIES PARTICIPATING ON THE HIT GAME SHOW "MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD," RETURNING THURSDAY, DEC. 18 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK
Regis Philbin Returns To Host This Modern Update Of The Classic Game Show

The following is the air schedule for the celebrities set to participate in MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD, hosted by Regis Philbin, which returns with a special premiere Thursday, Dec. 18, on the CBS Television Network: 

Sunday, December 21 (8:00 - 9:00 PM, ET/PT)

Julie Chen (CBS's "The Early Show") and Phil Keoghan (CBS's "The Amazing Race").

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
Phil sighting

The next pit stop on this leg of the race: The Gamestop in Santa Monica

So my roommate and I went for a drive tonight and ended up stopping into a Gamestop in Santa Monica. We were looking Xbox games when I heard a familiar voice. It was Phil Keoghan the host of The Amazing Race! He was shopping with his daughter.
I didn't have the nerve to say anything to him though I did wish he had said "Dennis and Jef, you are team number 1! By being team number 1 you win the Travelocity Pit Stop Prize" oh well...

http://beatnikbear.livejournal.com/27812.html

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:13 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »
Nice!  Looks like Phil makes it to the End Game!
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
Didn't Phil say he got an answer right then passed out and Regis poured water on him? I think it was said on Bonnie Hunt?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:24:36 AM by puddin »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »
WHAT!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »
Here its is thanks to traveler ...at the 8 minute mark or so , he didn't faint he fell, lol

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »
puddin, thanks for the fabulous clip of Phil on the Bonnie Hunt Show. Inferences from what was said about "my dad being on this coming Sunday" mean that this show was taped in the week before Episode 4, New Zealand, was shown here. That would make it Oct. 13 to 18. So there is almost a 2 month gap between taping and showing in this case.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »
That was shown at the time apskip (10/17), it is upstream in the thread. I think puddin just brought it forward for the Password reference.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
Then what happened on the Bonnie Hunt show after the AR13 finale? Has video been posted?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
Then what happened on the Bonnie Hunt show after the AR13 finale? Has video been posted?

The Phil, Nick and Starr appearance are here in the Nick/Starr thread:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,16727.msg364882.html#msg364882

and the Regis show is also there as well!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »

JULIE CHEN AND PHIL KEOGHAN ARE THE CELEBRITY CONTESTANTS PARTICIPATING ON THE HIT GAME SHOW, "MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD," SUNDAY, DEC. 21, ON CBS

Regis Philbin Hosts This Modern Update Of The Classic Game Show

Julie Chen (CBS's "The Early Show") and Phil Keoghan (CBS's "The Amazing Race") are the celebrity contestants participating on the hit game show MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD, Sunday, Dec. 21 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

In round one, Gail Golden from Buffalo, N.Y., and Rafael Rivero from Houston, compete for the $1 million prize.  In round two, April Helliwell from Costa Mesa, Calif., and Chad Mosher from Flint, Mich., compete for the $1 million prize.

MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD is produced by FremantleMedia North America.  Vincent Rubino is executive producer.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/cbs_entertainment

Hmmm....:lol: a word game for a million vs TAR for a million...I know which I would pick! :yess:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »

Hmmm....:lol: a word game for a million vs TAR for a million...I know which I would pick! :yess:

Oh this is going to be good I can't wait to see it  :)

Thanks for the reminder peach

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »
Peach, I guess it is appropriate to follow up your remarks with a paraphrase of the late Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois:

A million here and a million there, and soon you're talking about real money!