The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

Phil in the news ..

<< < (138/158) > >>

RachelLeVega:
Wow, the shemozzle Roadblock took place at his grade school friend's farm. Didn't know that. :oh It mist have been pretty difficult to set up that... obstacle course.

apskip:
Not really. Hunterville provides a model for shemozzle races:

The feature race, the Shepherds' Shemozzle, now entering its 15th year is run mid afternoon.  This gruelling cross country obstacle event is centred around the Shepherds and their Huntaway dogs competing over an endurance and obstacle course.  Previous years have seen competitors swallowing raw eggs, munching on dry weetbix washed down with a can of warm beer, huhu bugs with cold cooking oil or a sheep's eye and cream! What delicacy will be available this year?

The route and finer details of the Shepherds' Shemozzle are not revealed to contestants until the Shepherd's meeting minutes before the race.  In 2007 the course underwent a major change with the race starting in town.  Since 2010 the Shepherds started in the Town Hall and when they hit the road they had no idea where to find their beloved Huntaway Dogs who were none the wiser and quite happily enjoying being tied up in the main streets with 83 other Huntaway Dogs minus their owners.  The mudslide also returned and was super slick and ultra muddy thanks to the hard work of the race committee and loyal support from the farm owner Nigel Price.  Who knows what the race will involve next year - the only thing that organisers can guarantee is that the Shepherds' Shemozzle will be just that "A Shemozzle".

Oddarane:
Wasting No Time – Living in the “NOW” with Phil Keoghan
Posted on May 13, 2013 by GlutenFreeFind   

We are so excited to share the chat we had with the amazingly talented and iconic Phil Keoghan! Phil Keoghan is an adventure TV personality, host of the multi-Emmy Award-winning series ‘The Amazing Race’. He has worked in over 70 countries around the world as host, producer, writer and cameraman on more than 1,000 TV episodes!

‘No Opportunity Wasted’ (NOW) is the result of a near-death experience Phil had at age 19. Phil reflected on the importance of seizing the day, and this became his life approach. He wrote a list for life: a list of things he wanted to do during his life. He has already broken a world record for bungee jumping, dove the world’s longest underwater cave, and renewed his wedding vows underwater while hand-feeding sharks! Phil has been profiled in People magazine and TV Guide, and has been featured repeatedly on Oprah.

Phil is a dedicated philanthropist who gives back to adults and children – from those fighting chronic illness, to those who want to fulfil their dreams of becoming an athlete. Phil’s ride across America raised over $500,000 for people with Multiple Sclerosis.Phil realized that his physical adventure could raise funds for research so children can grow up without fear of MS and can live their lives NOW. Phil is also helping give young athletes around the world the chance to fulfill their dreams as professional cyclists.

Phil co-created and co-produced a number of original series, including ‘Keoghan’s Heroes’, a show profiling thrill-seekers around the world; ‘The Human Edge’, a technology show for National Geographic Television; and ‘Phil Keoghan’s Adventure Crazy’, a series for the Travel Channel and Discovery International. He also hosted ‘FOX After Breakfast’ for FOX, ‘Surprise, Surprise’ for CBS and ‘The Best of Both Worlds’ for A&E.

During a 2001 Oprah appearance, Phil said, “The more I live, the more I want to live, and the more I want to help others live their once-in-a-lifetime dreams.” It’s Phil’s mantra. Now, on Discovery Channel’s new series ‘No Opportunity Wasted’ – which he created and hosts – Phil challenges others to live out their dreams. Here is what Phil had to share with us in a recent chat, and we did not waste any opportunities in asking him lots of questions!

Do you live a gluten-free lifestyle, and if so, how did you end up gluten-free?

I am not strictly gluten-free but I do try to avoid gluten as much as possible.   A diet low in gluten or gluten-free always makes me feel a lot healthier!!  I notice the difference.

Can you share how you arrived at your “No Opportunity Wasted” personal life philosophy?

It was prompted by a near death experience at 19. It was then that I decided to live my life by a life list. No more “woulda, coulda, shoulda.”  ”Ditch the Excuses and Live Life NOW” became my mantra. My full story is on www.nooppportunitywasted.com

What has been your greatest achievement or “No Opportunity Wasted” success in life?

Four years ago I rode across America on my bicycle. I set out with three goals….to undertake the biggest physical and mental challenge of my life,  spend quality time with my father who drove the support  van,  and work towards raising a million dollars for MS, my charity.  With 100 percent of the proceeds of the film going to MS,  my wife and I consider this to be one of our greatest achievements in life.

What led you to create your No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bars?

After traveling around the world for 25 years as a television host, I am always on the look out for the perfect energy bar,  that will meet all my nutritional needs. My schedule on the road can be grueling, traveling to places where it’s impossible to get fresh food. I had tried almost every bar out there, but nothing seemed to taste really good and meet my nutritional needs,  so I decided to design my own bar.  Made with manuka honey from New Zealand (my home country),  packed with chia seeds, gluten free and full of flavor, my bars do the trick!  I dare you to try one and not fall in love with the taste.

Through your work with No Opportunity Wasted Energy bars, you are helping so many North Americans choose healthy snack and refueling options, and in particular you are helping the gluten-intolerant community. What are your goals for your No Opportunity Wasted product line?

It’s imperative that we as a nation need a more active life and to make healthier food choices.   Whether it’s playing in the school yard, hitting the trails, or taking on the biggest challenge of your life or just daily challenges,  No Opportunity Wasted Nutrition is there to “Power Your Adventure” and help you “Ditch the Excuses” and “Live Life NOW!”

What are your career goals going forward, and are there other opportunities you would like to embark on?

I am about to embark on the biggest physical and mental challenge of my life and trust me I will be fueled by my No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bar. In July I will leave Paris to travel around France on a 1928 bicycle. I will average 150 miles a day for 22 days to honor the Australasian team who rode the Tour de France.  Proceeds from my film will go to MS. This is hands down the hardest thing I have attempted to do in my life so far!!!

Do you have any tips or advice for those newly diagnosed with gluten intolerance?

Thankfully being gluten intolerant has been embraced by the food industry so there are a lot of choices for great gluten-free products out there.  People who are not gluten intolerant are still opting for a gluten-free lifestyle as they see the benefits.   So being gluten free is not only for the gluten intolerant, it’s for people who want to be healthier and live longer.

Any final thoughts?

Try my No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bar. You will not be disappointed. And follow my ride in July 2013 on www.noopportunitywasted.com

You can purchase Phil’s healthy, gluten-free No Opportunity Wasted Energy (NOW) Bars, which come in an assortment of delicious flavors including the new A3 bar and trail mix varieties at GlutenFreeSmartStore.com.

You can be certain that the GlutenFreeFind.com team will be following Phil and his July Ride for MS, as well as all of his current and future work. We are inspired by you and your philosophies on how to live life to the fullest, thank you Phil Keoghan! ♦

http://www.glutenfreefind.com/blog/wasting-no-time-living-in-the-now-with-phil-keoghan/

georgiapeach:
Phil Keoghan 1 day ago
Starting 3800 mile #LeRide scout in #France 2day thx to @TheBestWestern team for supporting our adventure #MS http://t.co/4Cs5LGHf17 http://twitter.com/PhilKeoghan/status/336008474171432960/photo/1

Phil Keoghan 2 hours ago
Day2 #LeRide scout #France thx @TheBestWestern and @Ford #MS 3300 mile to go! http://t.co/HRiv15rpFe http://twitter.com/PhilKeoghan/status/336418387313971200/photo/1

theschnauzers:
I take it to mean that filming for TAR couldn't be starting before he returns from this particular trip; and a 3800 mile ride is about the same as his cross-country bike ride a few years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version