Author Topic: Steve "Chicken" Morris *voted off*  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Steve "Chicken" Morris *voted off*
« on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
Chicken
Home Town:
Marion, VA
Chicken Farmer
Bio
Steve "Chicken" Morris was born in Marion, Virginia, and grew up on a commercial farm, where he has worked with poultry since he was 13 years old. After 40 years of marriage, Morris broke ties with his wife and raised his three children (Tyychelle and twins Dee Ann and Jessica) alone.

Morris currently manages the farm, where they produce all natural eggs and chickens along with grass-fed beef, pork and turkey. He also runs a store on the property. He previously worked as a bouncer, a fish culturist for the Fish & Game Department, a security officer and a logger. He enjoys hunting, fishing, camping and riding ATVs. He describes himself as outgoing and someone who lives on the edge. He enjoys country and bluegrass music. His favorite sport is baseball. He is a member of the Rich Valley Fair Association and the Abingdon Farmers Market Board.

Morris currently resides in Marion, Virginia. He had four dogs, Zek, Cluck, Poke and Eli. His birth date is September 2, 1959.

Meet Chicken
http://video.cgi.cbs.com/vplayer3/play.pl?type=rm&width=480&height=360&feat=vplayer&adtype=pre&arena=video&prod=innertube&id=149106&ord=81894.7049864501
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:49:36 PM by puddin »

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
Re: Steve "Chicken" Morris
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
He looks older then he is to me.  By discription will be a strong pesonality and will not put up with the laying around doing nothing.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Steve "Chicken" Morris *voted off*
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »
I’d Already Won Everything I Wanted to Win” – An Interview with Survivor: China’s Chicken
by David Bloomberg -- 09/21/2007

Chicken may be the happiest player ever to only make it to the first vote. Why? You’ll have to read on to find out. Plus, why did he go from making suggestions to not even answering questions? What strategy did he try? Chicken talks about all of this and much, much more!

Some reality show contestants give short answers to specific questions. Others like to tell their stories. Chicken is definitely in the latter group. In doing so, Chicken was probably the most talkative first-eliminated contestant I’ve ever talked to, and one of the most talkative contestants, period. We might not have seen much of it on the show, but he had his reasons and he made up for it now. Indeed, he answered a number of my questions before I could even ask them. So read on to see what he had to say.

RealityNewsOnline: Hello, Chicken, and thanks for taking the time to talk to RealityNewsOnline! What was your strategy coming into the game?

Chicken: I’ll tell ya, when I caught the flight out of Charlotte to JFK, I had a game plan. After preliminaries to the day I left, I had a game plan. I watched many many episodes in my chair at home, [thinking] you need to do this you need to do that. But then I said I’m just going to be myself, I’m not gong to fit a piece of the puzzle that a I think would fit in. I was going to be myself, period.

Basically, that’s what I did the whole trip until last night, I took one day at a time. But a lot of people were talking about being really disappointed. I’m not disappointed. I’m very proud to be a small part of this for many different reasons. And I’d go back tomorrow.

It’s not a money thing, it’s just the people that you meet and it’s hard to talk to these people. They’re basically from a different culture. It’s just like last night, they drug that old frame out of the woods. I had enough sense to know even if we made part of he shelter out of this thing, it’s not going to hold together. They thought they found a flipping gold mine. That’s when I first spoke and said this is not going to work. You can’t make something out of nothing. I just voiced my opinion and that was the last time I did, they wouldn’t listen to me.

Then we slept in the rain and walked in the mud, the circumstances were bad for them. For me, I walk in the mud every day. When we’re sorting cattle, we don’t take the day off because it’s raining or because the mud’s a foot deep. When we got into that truck at the first of the show, there was about three or four inches of mud. They said, “oh good gracious, the mud.” I’m thinking to myself, “you ain’t seen nothing yet.”

I don’t criticize these people and I hope they don’t criticize me. This cast is absolutely super. Sixteen people from 16 different walks of life. They’ve done an extraordinary job of casting these people. That is what I like about this show. I don’t care where you’re from, rich or poor, you’re all even. And how it plays it out is what’s great about this game. It requires a little bit of luck and depending on who you are, maybe a lot of luck.

When I landed in China, I’d already won everything I wanted to win. From that day on, it was just a plus. You take a great journey and you’re at this party, and you really don’t care what happens. People think you’re strange if you don’t care about money. But money’s not the issue for me. This was the greatest trip in the world for me. I’ve never flown, I’ve never rode a boat. I didn’t miss nothing.

RNO: Speaking of the experience, what was your opinion of the ceremony at the Buddhist temple and the way Leslie walked out?

Chicken: Leslie shouldn’t have done that. This is my opinion. Jeff was very very clear on his instructions – this is not a religious ceremony. He explained more about Buddha than you saw. I was astonished with the temple. I’ll never forget the temple and what Jeff said at the start of the game. This is a way of life for these people and when they invite you in, a perfect stranger, [you should honor it].

What you seen last night took about three hours. This is a big part of their culture and they’ve shared it with you. It’d be like bringing 250 Chinese people on the farm – it’s a culture shock. Buddha is not religious, it’s like Confucius. Buddha and farming is not really on the same level but I’m using it as an example.

When I took that long walk after the game, I was disappointed. Today I’m not and that temple was extraordinary. It marked me. I’m sure the other 15 people won’t give the same answer. That’s what makes this cast so good and what makes this show.

I’ve watched a ton of Survivor. You can play all you want to in your chair. But we’re all very unique people from very unique places with a very unique way of life. Those are the pieces that make a great show. This is a great season, going by the cast and what I’ve seen last night. I think it was a good kickoff to one of the better seasons in the last three or four years.

RNO: You mentioned that you gave your opinion and they didn’t listen, so you didn’t give it anymore. I understand why you decided to back off when people on your tribe weren’t listening to you, but why did you appear to go to such an extreme to avoid answering questions when they were asked of you?

Chicken: (laughs) It’s like, I made a ton of suggestions at first. I build things. You’ve got all this know-how, but it didn’t show. They went a couple days without water and I didn’t because I was drinking water in 20 minutes and eating kiwis in 20 minutes, and these people did without. I voiced my opinion and they were talking about college days and partying. This goes on all day the first day.

Me and Peih-Gee wanted to get it done. We’re in the middle of nowhere playing the greatest flipping game in the world. We want to get stuff done and everybody else wants to sit around talking about parties and music. I can’t relate to that. That’s when the 16 different people from 16 different places come in. Nobody was talking about hunting or fishing or farming.

When I came out of that temple and saw the other seven people, I knowed I was in trouble. I thought about it and said, “just be yourself, whatever happens is going to happen.” When I’m trying to tell you something and you don’t want to listen, they just brush it off.

On the second day, when they asked me and I didn’t want to answer, then it became an issue. I could have gotten down on my knees and kissed their behind and built their shelter. But that’s not the way I am. Then the next day I’d have to kiss their behinds again. You do something for me and I’ll do something for you.

RNO: We saw you talk to Frosti and Dave about votes, but did you try to form a specific alliance with anybody?

Chicken: On the first evening, when I was coming back from getting water, I come up on three girls, Peih-Gee, Jaime, and Sherea. They were standing about 70 yards from where I was. I walked up on them and they said, “Chicken come here.” We went into all this conversation. They said let’s stick together, it’s early for an alliance but let’s take that chance. Let’s four hook up.

I told them what they wanted to hear. But my word is good as gold, I would’ve stuck to the alliance. On the third day, Dave says your name’s come up and I confronted Jaime. She said it was a little early to build alliances. Then we came back from the immunity challenge and we were on pins and needles.

You’re all standing in a circle and the first name that comes up is mine. The others says as long as it’s not me, I don’t care who it is. My name was the first one that come up. It could have been anyone else, but then you go thinking about all these other shows and the way this thing was supposed to be played out. If you go by other shows, Ashley should have been the one to go because she done the least in three days. Whether she was sick or lazy or sprained her ankle – whatever the reason, Ashley done the least. She’s the weak link, she should’ve went first.

You know, on down the line, somewhere, I’m sure they will figure it out and miss me. Whether it’s the next day or the next Tribal Council or the next challenge. But it’ll be too late then. They made a mistake and so be it. There’s no doubt about it, I could’ve built the shelter. But why would you want to build a shelter with seven other people standing there looking for you?

That [and teaching them to get water and food] wouldn’t have bought you but maybe another week or 10 days maybe even two weeks. But there’s nothing in concrete. When I started building the shelter, me and Dave were doing about 70% of the work. I said, “Dave, why do we want to do this? They’re standing right there and we could reach out and smack ‘em. We’re working our hind ends off, but for what?”

I could’ve built the shelter and fed ‘em. Some of my favorite players in past Survivors have been brutal workers. Another disappointing thing about the past Survivors, the guy that does the work and plays the greatest game never wins the money, not the ones I’ve seen. The guy that deserves the money never gets the money.

But that’s a great element to this game. One in 16 chance, the adventure. The money is down the list to me. When you’re a guy from Virginia, you never done anything, you’re just astonished with the trip. I’m never gonna be rich, but the first night there were at least five or six people who mentioned a million dollars. That’s not me. You can call me crazy, but I’m travel-shocked by the trip. I’m shocked at the way they [production staff] treat you. You go from nothing to something really quick. It’s a feeling you’ve never had before. Everything is top shelf. Everything matters and it’s just an extraordinary journey.

These other people, it didn’t shock in some of our travels. Here we are traveling and I look around so much my neck gets sore. These people are reading books and have their Ipods in, not even looking out the window. I don’t miss nothing. This country, the culture, the people, the temple, I’ll never forget it as long as I live. I don’t think you’ll hear that from the others. Maybe I’m wrong and I’m exaggerating about my trip. But the trip itself was amazing. If you’ve done a lot of traveling, it would have been the trip of a lifetime, but for me it was the trip of 10 lifetimes!

Maybe that was my weakness – I was so excited about being there that I lost track of the game. But I’m not the type of guy who’s going to take care of you – you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours. That’s the way I am here. My neighbor, if his tractor breaks down, he can get mine, or I can get his if mine breaks down. It’s a way of life and it’s not for these people. This is what makes great entertainment is bringing 16 people together and making them build relationships.

It didn’t happen for us. I was amazed at how quick the other tribe came together. They would congratulate each other, pat each other on the back – you didn’t see that with us. Even in Tribal Council, it’s gonna take something to bring these people together. I don’t believe they’ll ever come together. I don’t know what happens in the game, but going by what I seen, these people are not going to come together. I may be wrong, but that’s just my opinion. The other tribe come together and I guarantee they’re a lot closer than we were.

I look forward to when we all get together and we catch up. You hear stories about this game changing people, but I guarantee it didn’t change the others like it did me. Probably because I’ve never done anything or went nowhere. The trip means more to me than the money.

RNO: Your exclamation of “Damn!” when you were voted out may have been one of the best reactions to a vote ever – and certainly made a couple of your tribemates jump. Where did the sudden emotion come from?

Chicken: I was expressing myself, let me tell you. You just get over the shock and try to reason with it. They’ve got no reason. They were standing around and my name come up. There was five people talking and that’s where the luck comes in. My name was mentioned and there’s people who don’t care for what reason. They’re not thinking I can feed ‘em and take care of ‘em. They’re thinking, “if he wants to take him out I’ll do it too.”

I believe my name just come up and four people standing there said we’ll send him home. They’re not thinking of the reasons, my name come up. That’s what makes this game so great. Peih-Gee’s name could’ve come up. Just one of those things about luck. I believe that’s what happened. No one hates me and my name just come up. Maybe I’m wrong too. I’m not the sharpest tool in the tool shed but that’s my own opinion.

RNO: Looks like we’ve run out of time. Thanks again, Chicken!

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=4&article=article7363.art&page=1

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:46:31 PM »
Great article!!  Sounds like he really got to enjoy his experience and that is great!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:59:31 PM »
Another interview:  http://www.realitywanted.net/2007/09/24/interview-with-chicken-from-cbss-survivor-china/

Thought this part was interesting...

A. Chicken Morris: What you didn’t see was that both Leslie and John and stepped out of the ceremony.  You also didn’t see the fact that Jeff asked me what I thought of Leslie and John walking out of the temple.  I told Jeff I they shouldn’t have done it since it was bad game play and might leave a bad taste in the mouth of other players.  However, they had the right to do so.  Jeff did explain clearly that this was not a religious ceremony.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »
Another interview:  http://www.realitywanted.net/2007/09/24/interview-with-chicken-from-cbss-survivor-china/

Thought this part was interesting...

A. Chicken Morris: What you didn’t see was that both Leslie and John and stepped out of the ceremony.  You also didn’t see the fact that Jeff asked me what I thought of Leslie and John walking out of the temple.  I told Jeff I they shouldn’t have done it since it was bad game play and might leave a bad taste in the mouth of other players.  However, they had the right to do so.  Jeff did explain clearly that this was not a religious ceremony.
OK whos John?  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »
That's what I mean!  :rotf:

Unless he mis-heard Jean (as in Jean-Robert) as John --then I have no clue!  :lol:

And not so nice either if 2 players went outside and Jeff only called out Leslie--he is getting bad at influencing the game!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »
Honest I had to look at the names and I suppose the writer of the article didn't do his homework  :lol: .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 07:29:43 PM »
Heres another interview

Survivor: China Interview - Chicken
Exclusive: The chicken farmer tells us why he was the first one who went home.
by Eric Goldman
  September 24, 2007 - Someone always has to be the first person booted off of a season of Survivor, and in Survivor: China, that person turned out to be Steve "Chicken" Morris. The oldest member of Zhan Hu, Chicken wasn't fitting in with his tribe from the start. Despite his knowledge on living outdoors, his tribemates didn't initially listen to the suggestions given by the 47 year old chicken farmer from Marion, VA, and after that he decided to stop giving any suggestions at all, even when asked. This seemed to set him apart as a perceived uncooperative member of the tribe, and while other Zhan Hu members names were floated as possible first boots, it was Chicken who went home, exclaiming "Damn!" when he saw his name ready by Jeff Probst.

The day after Chicken's one and only Survivor episode aired, I spoke to him to find out what his experience was like in the game.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/822/822494p1.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »
and TVGuide's

Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Survivor-fried Chicken: Oldest Player Is the First to Go
by Nina Hämmerling Smith

http://www.tvguide.com/News/survivor-china-chicken/070925-03