Author Topic: Kids' Reality Show 'Borders on Abuse'  (Read 10134 times)

Offline banredbeans

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Kids' Reality Show 'Borders on Abuse'
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 07:42:20 AM »
Just like they did back in the day. I know how much times have changed just in the past 10 years. Kids used to swarm at the chance to bale hay in the summer to get muscles for football, now they sit in the a/c gym and do the same thing (do I blame them - No!) im just saying.

I used to work on a dairy farm and load and unload tons of hay. The farmer would give me free hay for my horses which even back then in the 70's was 1.00 a bale.  I pay 9.00 a bale at the feed store now for hay so I would love to get free hay.  So many of the farms in Connecticut have turned into housing developments so they ship the hay in from Canada.
Luckily, I only have a few goats and they would rather eat brush and weeds during the summer.

Offline Blondie

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Watch out, I will chop you!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »
Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth...AMEN..!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »
Nice find!

I think that when we applied to be on TAR that I signed something about not sueing in the event of decapitation? :lol3:

They sure cover all the bases!

But from what I have read, there was excellent medical help on site who apparently was right on top of one of the contestant's asthma. And I heard something about a "Chef" as well..although we sure didn't see that in the first episode.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 11:30:47 AM »
I was going to post that GP. I knew there was on site medical care.

Go yellow!!! My neice loves how they came in 3rd, they did a really awesome job. I was cheering on everyone but the blue team hehehe!

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »
From Tomorows Daily Variety

SAG blasts 'Kid Nation' again
Union alleges mistreatment of children
By DAVE MCNARY For a second time, the Screen Actors Guild has blasted "Kid Nation" over its alleged mistreatment of children.
In a statement issued concurrently with Wednesday's premiere of the CBS skein, SAG's Young Performers Committee said the show represented "a step backwards in terms of children's rights."

The controversy was sparked last month when the New Mexico Attorney General's Office announced it was reviewing complaints that the show may have violated child labor laws. CBS and exec producer Tom Forman have asserted that no laws were broken and have insisted that none of the show's participants were in danger during production.

"We find it inexcusable that the producers on this show did not take all measures possible to ensure protections on the set of 'Kid Nation,' " the SAG panel said. "According to press reports, the show's producers are already planning a second season in the Czech Republic, and we are concerned about the safety of the next group of children recruited for this program."

The committee issued a similar announcement last month, saying it was "shocked" at the reports.

AFTRA, which reps the hosts on the show, announced last month it was investigating whether the participants may have been covered by the provisions of its contract. It said Thursday that the producer and network have been "candid and forthcoming" but said it will not make any further disclosure until the probe's concluded.

would you allow your child to goto the Czech Republic???????

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 11:05:53 PM »
From Tomorows Daily Variety

SAG blasts 'Kid Nation' again
Union alleges mistreatment of children
By DAVE MCNARY For a second time, the Screen Actors Guild has blasted "Kid Nation" over its alleged mistreatment of children.
In a statement issued concurrently with Wednesday's premiere of the CBS skein, SAG's Young Performers Committee said the show represented "a step backwards in terms of children's rights."

The controversy was sparked last month when the New Mexico Attorney General's Office announced it was reviewing complaints that the show may have violated child labor laws. CBS and exec producer Tom Forman have asserted that no laws were broken and have insisted that none of the show's participants were in danger during production.

"We find it inexcusable that the producers on this show did not take all measures possible to ensure protections on the set of 'Kid Nation,' " the SAG panel said. "According to press reports, the show's producers are already planning a second season in the Czech Republic, and we are concerned about the safety of the next group of children recruited for this program."

The committee issued a similar announcement last month, saying it was "shocked" at the reports.

AFTRA, which reps the hosts on the show, announced last month it was investigating whether the participants may have been covered by the provisions of its contract. It said Thursday that the producer and network have been "candid and forthcoming" but said it will not make any further disclosure until the probe's concluded.

would you allow your child to goto the Czech Republic???????

I didn't see the show, just heard a little bit about it on the radio this morning. I would say no. The reality shows should all be of age of majority. Where it is an adult choice to go on, not a parents decision.

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »
A second season?  Already?  They've only aired one show!  I thought this show as going to be a one-season only thing. 

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 12:10:37 PM »
My kids were watching this with me and they kept saying they want to be on this show. My 12 year old son wanted to show them all how to make mac and cheese. LOL
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »
My kids were watching this with me and they kept saying they want to be on this show. My 12 year old son wanted to show them all how to make mac and cheese. LOL

if the reports are true would you let them goto the Czech Republic for a season2, if there is one?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »
The application is up on the CBS site--and it is much harder than the TAR ones! Whew--you would have to be "smarter than a fifth grader" to get through all those questions! :lol:

No mention of Czech though...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
I'd have a hard time letting my kids go to the Czech republic. I just couldn't imagine.
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 04:16:47 PM »
Obviously my kids are way too little but I don't think I would want them to go to the Czech even if it wasn't for a tv show!

My neice asked her dad when she can be on a show like that. Shes 9. And her 12 year old sister liked it to but she freaked out at 4H camp when she saw a spider in their cabin so obviously shes not up for anything that requires getting dirty or seeing bugs lol. I also know of a 9 year old boy who watched it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
I have some friends with boys at that difficult teenage stage--I think at this point they would PAY for someone to take them to Czech for 40 days! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 09:36:40 PM »
I think when any kid returned from that they would appreciate what they do have ;)