Author Topic: Locations  (Read 129627 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 12 Location Spoilers/Rumors
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
As a heavy-duty Tour de France fan, I can confirm that this was the first three legs of the 2007 route:

July 7 Prologue London

July 8 London to Canterbury

July 9 Dunkerque to Ghent

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:33 AM »
I was not going to say anything because when i was there i really didn't believe that it could be the actual amazing race b/c i thought they filmed it in august not july.  Anyways I was in Belize on July 5th and saw two couples with camera crews trying to get on a boat in Belize City.  I didn't really know what was going on, but i feel like it fits with the schedule of where they might be.  One of the couples was arguing with the boat driver about the cost of the boat fare, then the other couple ran up and both couples instantly got on and agreed to pay the fee.  I watched all of this from Iguana Joe's a restaurant/bar right there on the dock in Belize.  Maybe that helps piece together the route.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2007, 12:36:53 AM »
 :welcome2: to the forum bdearl!

And many thanks for the information! We love new hints!

Can you help us out with any other info?

What time of day? Any idea where they were going?

When you say two couples--do you mean male/female?

Did you notice any identifying marks on their backpacks?

And oh my--do you by any chance have pictures??

Any little thing you remember may help us to sort all this out!

But  thank thank you for sharing!! Please stay around and give us a hand! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »
No Unfortunately i did not have a camera with me at the time.  We had been diving all morning and were having lunch.  It was probably about 1 to 2 maybe.  Again this is all on memory.  The couples were both men women couples.  I'd say one couple mid to upper 20's, the other couple early 30's.  I do remember the younger couple the girl was a pretty attractive girl.  That is what caught my eye to begin with, that and the yelling going on with the boat driver from the male in the group.  As soon as the other group came up the arguing subdued and they got in the boat and left.  That's all i really remember.  Each couple had two other people following them.  One with a camera and another guy.  The first couple was there maybe 5 min before the latter.  The first couples camera guy was shooting while the second camera guy was not, he was just carrying the camera.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2007, 12:49:29 AM »
How lucky to be there! Any idea what kind of boats are around there?

Take you out for a sail--take you to another area/island--take you diving--anything??

Are we talking day trip--or ferry type boat--little motor boat--sail boat?/

Anything to give us a mental picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2007, 01:08:43 AM »
By looking at your map you can see a lot of little dotted islands along the coast.  That makes up the second longest reef in the world.  Cay Chaprel, and Cay Corkrel are just a short boat ride from there.  There is amazing diving on those islands as well as a really nice resort on one of them.  Shark alley, an area that is famous for having a great deal of nurse sharks and sting rays is right there as well.  Basically in Belize you have rainforests and great diving.  A few good beaches, most of which are on the outer islands, and one major city, Belize city.  The actual city though is somewhat rundown.  There are some ancient mayan temples in the country but i only went diving there so i never really went inland.  The boats are your typical caribbean boats.  This boat was a Catamayran, without the sail, common in the Caribbean usually with motors in each blade.

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2007, 01:16:16 AM »
Also I have been to Prague, and it is a beautiful city.  Sites you may want to look up is the Charles Bridge (in the area of the Prague Castle).  Also check out Old Town Square, its really cool, big open space with a lot of character.  Finally there is a really cool building called the "Dancing House" which could be a location in Prague.       Street performing is big in Prague, especially on the Charles Bridge, so that could be a thing teams have to do.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2007, 01:19:07 AM »
Am I getting warm?? :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2007, 01:24:50 AM »
It looks like Prague turned out to be The Amazing Race Asia--but we are still excited about it!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2007, 01:26:42 AM »
Where can you see amazing race asia

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2007, 01:29:28 AM »
The pics are definately Belize, as you can see it is run down.  The yellow bridge is 500 yards from where the docks are.  The docks were probably built only 5 years ago or so and most of the buidings on them are new.  The beach is probably a mainland beach.  The cay beaches have much lighter blue water b/c of how shallow it is.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2007, 01:37:34 AM »
weell I found a lizard bar... :jumpy:

was it near the swing bridge?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2007, 01:40:10 AM »
Those pics look old.  It looks different on the docks now

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2007, 01:41:51 AM »
That lizard bar is on Cay Caulker, not in belize city where i saw the people

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2007, 01:45:20 AM »
Well thank you again--we'll do a proper look around there tomorrow--this was just a taste!

Were you just on a diving holiday then? Do you know anybody down there who might have heard about this?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2007, 01:53:52 AM »
one more...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2007, 01:56:43 AM »
 the bars name is iguana rama

Offline bdearl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2007, 01:57:29 AM »
That pic is definately belize city dock, the structure being build at the end is now iguana rama

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2007, 02:03:30 AM »
Try this:

http://www.iguanaranabar.com/index.php

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:10:35 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2007, 02:15:25 AM »
I think I found it!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2007, 08:24:36 AM »
I visited Belize in 1992 and was in Belize airport long enough to change planes for San Pedro, which is on an island northeast of Belize City. San Pedro is the major origination point for diving expeditions because it is closer to the barrier reef. However, the water distance from San Pedro to Belize City is considerable (which is why almost everyone flies that route). It is unlikely that the teams in the small tourist boats were headed for San Pedro. As indicated in someone's (GeorgiaPeach or bdearl, I can't remember which) earlier post, diving sites closer to Belize City are more likely.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing the info bdearl   :dancer: and good job with the pictures peach's!

eta: wasnt TAR8 suppose to go to Belize?
eta: yup!
According to an interview with Wally Bransen on RFFRadio, Hurricane Emily forced producers to cancel a leg in Belize.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:29:20 AM by puddin »

Offline KingCrimson88

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:17 PM »
Oh God, are we in for 3 or 4 legs in Latin America again? If they start July 2nd, but only leave for Ireland on July 8th...

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »
Here are the direct flight possibilities from the U.S. to Belize City, with the other flights from Central America to Belize city listed also:

AIR CARRIERS SERVING BELIZE

From the U.S. -
American Airlines -Direct flights from Dallas/Ft. Worth & Miami.
US Air - Direct Flights from Charlotte.
Delta Airways - Direct Flights from Atlanta.
Continental Airlines - Direct Flights from Houston.
Grupo Taca (El Salvador) - Direct flights from Houston & Miami.

From Mexico -
Direct flights to Belize are available out of Cancun and Chetumal.

From Central America -
Flights to/from Guatemala -
Belize City to/from Guatemala City - Aerovias (Monday, Wednesday & Friday)
Belize City to/from Tikal /Flores - Maya Island Air & Tropic Air (Daily)

Flights to/from Honduras - Grupo Taca
San Pedro Sula to/from Belize City
La Ceiba & Tegucigalpa to/from Belize City

First, I must say that while it is not mandatory for AR12 to have started in a city where connecting flights are not needed, I believe they did start in a direct flight city. Normally you might think that Charlotte, Atlanta or Houston would have been chosen. However, since American Airlines, that favorite of the Amazing Race for valid reasons of years of sponsorship, operates out of Dallas/Ft. Worth and Miami only, I am guessing that DFW was the originating airport. The second criteria would have been having a second carrier available for alternate flights. Houston and Miami have that. In my mind, that makes Houston the second choice since Miami has had its spot as Amazing Race start city. What do you think?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »
Wow Puddin, that's a really great discovery.  I think it fits perfectly in the schedule.    :yess:

I looked at their blog entry for July 11th and determined that the TAR siting had to have been on the day before:  July 10th in Amsterdam

It is based on the fact that the Tour De France reached Gant on July 9th (click on the flash animation).

Timeline for tourists      
July 9th      Tour De France seen in Gant, Belgium, They got up early that day and arrived by 15 min train ride to Gant.  They waited 5 hours
July 9th      "Jumped a train to Amsterdam. Arrived in town midday and headed directly to the laundry."
July 9th      "We spent about six hours walking around town going to various restaurants and bars to taste the tastes."
July 10th      "Today we took a quick train ride to nearby Haarlem."
July 10th      "We just got done with a walking tour of Amsterdam."
July 10th      "We think we saw some participants from the Amazing Race running through town with a cameraman and sound guy following close behind."
      "Tomorrow we are on our way to the lovely, Denmark."
      Posted July 11th at 11:17 am

This means that Apskip's flight on the 11th may well be the one they use to get to West Africa.

Maybe more on Amsterdam? I can't get a good read on the translation :P

from this blog and her flickr album, her pictures were taken on July 9th and you guessed it, no pictures of racers as far as I can see.

AMSTERDAM

I did not saw tulipanes, single of single wood, and mills from the train and within some city x
If I saw to 3 pairs that were competing in my reality favorite show “the amazing race”

OR :
I did not see tulips, alone of wood, and alone mills since the train and inside some city x
If I saw 3 couples that were being of concern in my reality favorite show "the amazing race"

eta: in Spanish

AMSTERDAM

No vi tulipanes, solo de madera, y molinos solo desde el tren y dentro de alguna ciudad x
Si vi a 3 parejas que estaban compitiendo en mi reality show favorito "the amazing race"

ETA: fwiw my daughter says it reads "Yes, I saw three pairs that were competing in my favorite reality show the amazing race"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:09:05 PM by puddin »