Author Topic: Locations  (Read 129449 times)

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
Re: The Amazing Race 12 Location Spoilers
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »
WAMgirl, you're my hero!  Thanks everyone; the more news from the race the merrier, given how much more difficult it was to spot anything.  Really loving Ireland as a stop on the race!
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 01:57:38 AM »
With special thanks to the excellent lead provided by anon1akacolby, we are now able to definitively confirm the TAR 12 Alaska leg.

We know that the leg was filmed on July 29, 2007. (And since we also know that the race was completed no later than August 3 and probably a day or so earlier, that makes this one of the last possible legs.)

The leg was filmed in the Chugach National Forest (thanks to puddin for the link!), on the Twenty Mile River and on the Twenty Mile River Glacier.

Teams travelled on the Twenty Mile River in boats provided by Glacier Jet, starting at Glacier Jets' launch site (eyewitness source).  See a sample river tour video HERE (thanks Slowhatch for the links!).  Sample River photos here.

They did an ice climb on the Twenty Mile River Glacier with technical support provided by The Ascending Path. (link thanks to Colby!)

(Thanks to Chateau for the glacier picture!)

Sample glacier ice climbing pictures HERE.

Air support to the glaciers was provided by Alpine Air, which again thanks to Slowhatch, we know that WRP used in TAR 2 also.  We believe that the teams were lifted from the river to the glaciers, although this sequence is not yet entirely confirmed.

Film permits were granted for all of the locations.

(Special thanks to kogs for all the weeks of detective work!)

And I couldn't have done it without the help of the whole RFF team: including puddin, Slowhatch, Chateau, Colby, and kogs!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »
Fantastic find Peach !!!   :jumpy:

Here is the GE view.  Unfortunately, it is in the fuzzylands.   The glacier shot you have there is from very close by to where they say the ice climbing is to take place.  Or did take place.

:jam:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline terminator

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
I just saw the Amazing Race cluebox at Whiterock Pier, a landmark in the suburbs of Vancouver BC Canada. Could be a fake one, I saw no competitors but I did see what looked like production people nearby in an SUV,

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »
If it looked like this cluebox then its probably a local race terminator :yaya:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
The Travel Channel show 1000 Places to See Before You Die is doing reruns tonight. If you see this message before 1107pm EDT, you have the opportunity to see the rerun of their Alaska program. From 1107pm to 1110 pm it will feature Girdwood and the Crow Creek Mine.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2007, 08:14:42 PM »
Whoa!! Great job guys!  I amazed how the info I found out turned into all of this.   Great job!  I'm glad I was of help.   :yess:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »
We could not have done it without your leads, Colby--so thank you again! :hugs:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline the_headcrusher

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • You flathead!
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2007, 01:16:41 AM »
I just saw the Amazing Race cluebox at Whiterock Pier, a landmark in the suburbs of Vancouver BC Canada. Could be a fake one, I saw no competitors but I did see what looked like production people nearby in an SUV,

It was probably a local clone. 
But they could do so much if they come to the Lower Mainland / Fraser Valley (southwestern BC.)  For one there's get through the town of Surrey at 2 am without running into a hooker. Another one could be to get down an East Hastings street without seeing somebody shooting up.
A good landing is one you can walk away from.  A great landing is one where they can use the plane again.

Offline terminator

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2007, 04:31:42 PM »
It was the small one with a small flip up box. It looked just like the real one. It must of been a clone though, I thought the race was well over.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 12 Location Spoilers/Rumors
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »
Found this over at RTVW board, posted by Doogie:

just heard from a friend today who told me that TAR showed up in my hometown of Green Bay, WI! No, no, apparently they did not visit Lambeau Field. A friend of hers works at the Green Bay Wildlife Sanctuary and Amusement Park (link to the website is here: www.baybeachwildlife.com   http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/baybeach_web/baybeachhome.html).
Apparently this girl was really excited to work a Satuarday shift becuase her boss told her that the show would be filming in the Sanctuary that day. Now I don't know a specific date that this occurred on, but from talking with my friend I would think that it was in late July (either the 21st or 28th). Given that the press release fro casting stated that filiming was to occur June-August, I would say that this was a stop toward the finish line. I highly doubt the finish was in Wisconsin, maybe Chicago?

Take it for what it's worth.   :angel:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:53:05 AM by Boingo »

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
Found this over at RTVW board, posted by Doogie:

just heard from a friend today who told me that TAR showed up in my hometown of Green Bay, WI! No, no, apparently they did not visit Lambeau Field. A friend of hers works at the Green Bay Wildlife Sanctuary and Amusement Park (link to the website is here: www.baybeachwildlife.com; http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/baybeach_web/baybeachhome.html).
Apparently this girl was really excited to work a Satuarday shift becuase her boss told her that the show would be filming in the Sanctuary that day. Now I don't know a specific date that this occurred on, but from talking with my friend I would think that it was in late July (either the 21st or 28th). Given that the press release fro casting stated that filiming was to occur June-August, I would say that this was a stop toward the finish line. I highly doubt the finish was in Wisconsin, maybe Chicago?

Take it for what it's worth.   :angel:

we've been debating this for a while, not sure if its anything see'ing how theres no real flights to green bay wisconsin.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
Kogs, I have a different perspective since I flew in and out of Green bay decades ago. My favorite airline websites make it clear that it can be done today from Anchorage to Green Bay on July 27 or 28 to arrive 28th(I believe the 21st is way too early from what else I know):

depart Anchorage 7/27 2200 on AS180 arriving ORD (that's Chicago O'Hare for the uninitiated) 0655

depart ORD 0800 on AS455 (this is a code share, it's really some other airline flying it) arriving GRB 0900

This set of flights is totally in keeping with the stealth approach of AR12 and so would having the finish be in Green Bay Wisconsin be. the 28th is A Saturday morning, so traffic at O'Hare should be very light at that very early time. There are no major college football teams residing in Green Bay and the Packers do not play until Sunday so flights from O'Hare to Green Bay would probably be less than full.

For teams unable to make that 2200 departure but able to make one 3.5 hours later, there is this alternative:

depart Anchorage 7/28 0125 on NW4244 arriving SEA 0535

depart SEA 0700 on NW804 arriving MSP 1218

depart MSP 1250 on NW2072 arriving GRB 1405 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:30:51 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »
Kogs, I have a different perspective since I flew in and out of Green bay decades ago. My favorite airline websites make it clear that it can be done today from Anchorage to Green Bay on July 27 or 28 to arrive 28th(I believe the 21st is way too early from what else I know):

depart Anchorage 7/27 2200 on AS180 arriving ORD (that's Chicago O'Hare for the uninitiated) 0655

depart ORD 0800 on AS455 (this is a code share, it's really some other airline flying it) arriving GRB 0900

This set of flights is totally in keeping with the stealth approach of AR12 and so would having the finish be in Green Bay Wisconsin be. the 28th is A Saturday morning, so traffic at O'Hare should be very light at that very early time. There are no major college football teams residing in Green Bay and the Packers do not play until Sunday so flights from O'Hare to Green Bay would probably be less than full.

For teams unable to make that 2200 departure but able to make one 3.5 hours later, there is this alternative:

depart Anchorage 7/28 0125 on NW4244 arriving SEA 0535

depart SEA 0700 on NW804 arriving MSP 1218

depart MSP 1250 on NW2072 arriving GRB 1405 

The problem with that is that the filming in Alaska was on July 29th.

We know that the leg was filmed on July 29, 2007. (And since we also know that the race was completed no later than August 3 and probably a day or so earlier, that makes this one of the last possible legs.)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »
I have spoken personally with the Resident Manager of the Park (he lives on site).

He does recall that a local TV station called asking for permission to shoot some PR shots at that time, but because the weather was so awful that day, they did not come.

He was on site on both July 21 and July 28 and he would have known if there had been any filming going on.

And remember--they were filming in Alaska on July 29th.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:37:57 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »
Well, we appear to have conflicting information here because TAR cannot reasonably have been fliming in Green Bay on July 28, the only Saturday in late July, and then also have been filming in Girdwood Alaska the next day Sunday July 29. Although it is theoretically possible, it is incredibly unlikely. I guess we have to disbelieve somebody! Take your pick.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »
Alaska is 1000%--I have unimpeachable proof.  ;)

Green Bay Park manager of Sanctuary denies filming.

Take your pick... :lol:

Now...if this had been for Aug 1 or 2, I would have been much more interested!

Still looking....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »

is the rumour that the race ended in Alaska, or just that the teams passed through?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »
The teams did  tasks on July 29--see the detailed Alaska post here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,12521.msg225211.html#msg225211

The race was done no later than Aug 3, and more likely, by Aug 1-2.

My guess?

Alaska will turn out to be the next-to-last leg.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2007, 02:35:03 AM »
FWIW..remember we have TAR2 running around as well but we think they were somewhere else around this time  ....

blog posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

We just got done with a walking tour of Amsterdam. Unfortunately it was not as good as the Berlin tour but it was still very interesting. We think we saw some participants from the Amazing Race running through town with a cameraman and sound guy following close behind.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »
How does Ireland arrival July 9, Dublin departure July 10 to Amsterdam sound?

There are two daily nonstops from Dublin to Amsterdam, EI602 610am to 845am and EI610 520pm to 755pm plus numerous connections that take much longer. I see Amsterdam as a quick stopover on the way to West Africa even though there could be some tasks in downtown Amsterdam(see below for time compression issue). It is not the most logical stopover (Paris is) but probably the next best. Most flights to West Africa have to connect through CDG airport in Paris. One example out of several in getting to West Africa but requiring that it be done on Wednesday July 11 because that is the one day of the week that the flight can be made is:

AF1141 departs AMS 1340 arrives CDG 1455
AF730  departs CDG 1610 arrives Ouagadougou(OUA) 1940
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:08:27 PM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »
Wow Puddin, that's a really great discovery.  I think it fits perfectly in the schedule.    :yess:

I looked at their blog entry for July 11th and determined that the TAR siting had to have been on the day before:  July 10th in Amsterdam

It is based on the fact that the Tour De France reached Gant on July 9th (click on the flash animation).

Timeline for tourists      
July 9th      Tour De France seen in Gant, Belgium, They got up early that day and arrived by 15 min train ride to Gant.  They waited 5 hours
July 9th      "Jumped a train to Amsterdam. Arrived in town midday and headed directly to the laundry."
July 9th      "We spent about six hours walking around town going to various restaurants and bars to taste the tastes."
July 10th      "Today we took a quick train ride to nearby Haarlem."
July 10th      "We just got done with a walking tour of Amsterdam."
July 10th      "We think we saw some participants from the Amazing Race running through town with a cameraman and sound guy following close behind."
      "Tomorrow we are on our way to the lovely, Denmark."
      Posted July 11th at 11:17 am

This means that Apskip's flight on the 11th may well be the one they use to get to West Africa.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »
Any chance we can fit Lithuania in there? Just speculation, no solid proof yet, no dates, no sightings etc.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2007, 05:13:47 PM »
Just substitute Lithuania for Ouagadougou--which is all based on an unsubstantiated "we saw some teams" on a plane report.

Mind you, I'd love it if they went there, and this may turn out to be a great clue, but for the moment it has not yet been directly confirmed.

Although it might fit a timeline since the report of July 16th says recently.

Well, maybe Lithuania after Dubrovnik??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
The basic answer is NO and the reason is that there isn't sufficient time to get from DUBLIN on July 9 to CDG on the early afternoon of July 11 (needed to get to West Africa) except through Amsterdam or London. With the information available about Amsterdam, it seems likely that that's the way they went. Vilnius or Kaliningrad in Lithuania would be too far to fly to quickly and back, since schedules are not very good to either.

However, there is every reason to believe that Lithuania could be the next stop after Dubrovnik (or the one after that, although that's less likely). With departure on July 21, here are the flights:

Croatia Airlines OU661
Departure: 06:05 Dubrovnik, Croatia - Dubrovnik Arrival: 07:00  Zagreb, Croatia - Pleso  

Lufthansa LH2485
Departure: 07:40 Zagreb, Croatia - Pleso  Arrival: 09:15

Lufthansa LH3252   
 Departure: 10:25 Frankfurt, Germany - Frankfurt International, terminal 1  Arrival: 13:25  Vilnius, Lithuania - Vilnius 

NOTE ADDED LATER: It is possible that West Africa is a mirage, but I don't thiink so. It fits with the stealth strategy and more time in Europe would not have. It is Lufthansa Airlines that has 2 connecting flights from Amsterdam through Frankfurt a day to Vilnius. the first takes just under 5 hours plus a one hour time change and the second just under 7 hours plus a one hour time change.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 07:23:01 AM by apskip »