Author Topic: Tontine  (Read 17444 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Tontine
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:53:02 PM »
Tontine website
http://www.jointhetontine.com/

INTERVIEW: Rob Mariano talks about his new 'Tontine' reality show
Last week, Rob Mariano announced that he will serve as the host of Tontine, a new reality competition show that will take place over 100 days on seven continents and reward its winner with the biggest cash prize in the history of reality television -- $10 million.
Although the name of the production company producing Tontine and the network that will broadcast it are still under wraps, the 31-year-old four-time The Amazing Race and Survivor contestant agreed to give Reality TV World an exclusive interview that gives potential contestants a better idea of what he and the rest of the show's casting folks will be looking for during their upcoming casting tour and home viewers a better idea of what they can expect to see when the show hits the airwaves next year.  More information about this summer's nationwide Tontine casting tour is available at the show's jointhetontine.com website.

Reality TV World:  Hi Rob, good to talk to you again, so where are you calling from today?  Are you living back in Pensacola again?

Rob:  I'm actually in Florida today.  I was in Pittsburgh three days ago [and] Vegas last week.  And I'll be in Dallas on Wednesday. (laughing) We're still kind of running around quite a bit... but I am actually in Florida [today].

Reality TV World:  You've already pretty much been teasing this new show since the moment Amber and yourself were eliminated from The Amazing Race: All-Stars back in March, so why are you still being so mysterious about who is producing the show and what network it's going to air on? 

Rob:  The people that are producing it just asked me not to release it yet.  As far as the network goes, I actually don't know why they asked me to, but I imagine it's because of... you know how it is with the competition with these shows these days -- one network will take another network's idea and if they can produce it in a shorter amount of time, next thing you know they have it on the air before the original network.  What I can tell you is that the people that are producing are by far and away the best in the business as far as producers go.  And the network is indeed a major network.  It's not a cable network, it's one of the major networks.  I'm just respecting their wishes.  They asked to remain anonymous up until this point.

Reality TV World:  Are you part of the show's producing team?

Rob:  I am not one of the producers.  I was [just] hired to be the host of the show.

Reality TV World:  Are there signed deals in place or you still negotiating with the network and producers?

TRob:  It's signed and done.  It's a done deal.  It will be on the air in April.  It is indeed a signed deal.  They're starting casting for it next week, June 30 [and] they're going to cast until the end of August.  We're going to -- I believe -- eight cities.  We're starting in Dallas, then going to Nashville; New York City; Boston; Minneapolis; St. Louis; Los Angeles; and San Diego.  And then it will go to production the early part of September [with] post-production [to follow] after [that]. [The actual filming] will last 100 days, so September, October, November, [and] part of December.  It will be on the air in the spring.

Reality TV World:  When do you expect to announce the show's production team and broadcast network?

Rob:  It's not really up to me... (laughing) you know what I mean?  It's my job, I [just] work for them so whatever they want, that's what I'll do.  I imagine they're probably doing this just to be secretive about the locations and everything because you know how all of these shows get spoiled these days.  [But] that's just my imagination talking there.

Reality TV World: Ten Million dollars is a lot of money and far more than any other reality show has ever offered... how will it be paid to the winner -- is it a real $10 million lump sum or is it something like the lottery-like "over 40 years" annuity payment schedule that NBC’s For Love or Money used for its prizes?

Rob:  I don't know for sure, but I do know that one person is going to win the entire $10 million.  There's not going to be any money for second place, it's winner take all.  One person will win $10 million.  It's not like one of these things where you have the opportunity, like "you can win $10 million" -- someone is going to win $10 million, there's no catch there.  It really is the biggest prize ever offered in television history... the day of the $1 million prize is over after this thing comes up!

Reality TV World:  So it's a legit $10 million?  There are no catches, you don't have to wait 40 years to collect it?  It's not like Fox's Unan1mous, which started with a $1.5 million prize but featured a constant prize countdown that ended up resulting in the winner eventually receiving less than $400,000?

Rob:  Again, I'll tell you, it's a major network doing the show.  It's a very [reputable] production company.  Somebody's going to win $10 million.

Reality TV World:  No catches?

Rob:  No catches.

Reality TV World:  Where and when did the concept for Tontine originate?  Was it something you came up with and shopped around to producers or did some producer bring the concept to you?

Rob:  This was definitely something I was approached about.  This was not my original idea.  I wish it was, it's a great idea.

Reality TV World:  When were you first approached about it?

Rob:  It was probably beginning of March or April... early spring.  I happened to be in Los Angeles with my agent, and we took a meeting with these people, and I loved the idea right from the beginning.  I've always wondered what am I going to do when this is all over.  I imagined myself going back to construction and let me tell you the money in construction is nothing like it is in television.  So it's been a lot of fun.  And the opportunity has just been amazing, all the different opportunities I've gotten to do because of it.  They came to me with the idea to host a show, and you know I thought it was a good transition and something I'd enjoy doing.  But at the same time, I wondered if I could handle making that transition from "contestant" to "host" just because of my competitive nature and everything.  The people involved assured me that I would have the ability to mess with the contestants a little bit... (laughing).

Reality TV World:  Will you just be playing a Phil Keoghan-like role of just showing up at the end of each episode and announcing who is eliminated or will it be a lot more hands-on Jeff Probst-like role in which you'll be present at the challenges?

Rob:  It's definitely hands-on.  Like I said, I'm leaving to go to Dallas on Wednesday.  I'm actually going to all of the casting calls all summer so I'm going to have a say in who we actually pick for the show.  There's going to be 15 contestants chosen, and I'm actively going to be involved in that as well as, you know, I'm going on the road 100 days with the show [when it begins filming].  I'm going to all seven continents of the world -- everywhere they go, I go.

Reality TV World:  So needless to say, this will be much more involved than your previous "Player Operator" hosting gig? [Rob served as the Charlie's Angels-like telephone host of UPN's The Player reality dating series in 2004]

Rob: (laughing)  Yeah... I'll be involved in all the challenges. Obviously physical and mental challenges.  There's a huge travel element involved.  I mean, it's on all seven continents.  It's a huge, huge time commitment.  If you think about it, doing this show is probably one of the most ambitious reality shows anybody's ever undertaken.  If you just think of the entire casting is going to last up to three months, the entire summer [and] then [after that,] the production of the show itself is [another] three months.  Then there's [still] post-production and [getting] it on the air...  it's a long, long project.

Reality TV World:  You're a veteran of numerous reality shows at this point.  Are there any specific aspects about Tontine's format that peaked your interest?

Rob:  Well I don't know what the format is going to be because its the first time we've ever done it.  The idea of hosting my own show and being the main host and the only host for a show on a major network is something that doesn't come along everyday.  It's a great opportunity for me and I'm thrilled.  Absolutely...

Reality TV World:  So beyond what you've already said about the show's format, you don't really know much else about it or you can't say if you do?

Rob: The premise of the show is that we're simply going to choose 15 contestants at the beginning of the competition.  It's a competition that lasts 100 days.  At the beginning of the competition, each contestant is going to be given a key.  Now the key is obviously [just] symbolic [but it] represents part of the $10 million fortune. 

They're not going to be able to win just part of the $10 million fortune.   [It's not going to be like CBS' Pirate Master where] each week, they get a part of the prize and split it up and stuff... [there won't be] none of that [on Tontine].  One person at the end is going to get it all, so the key basically represents [each contestant's] life in the game [and] they're going to compete in these different challenges for each other's keys.  When you lose your key, you're out of the game.  And the person at the end who possesses all 15 keys is going to win $10 million.  It's going to be pretty intense if you think about it.

Reality TV World:  So the contestants will be stockpiling each other's keys?

Rob:  You're going to compete for each other's keys.  I'm not exactly sure if you win somebody's keys and you have two keys, I don't know.  Again, this is purely speculative and I think it's only because they want to keep it a secret, but I think maybe there might be a challenge where there might be two keys up for grabs... or three or more.  As the game goes on, I imagine it will get a lot more intense.

Reality TV World:  When you and Amber first began teasing this project, it sounded like it was something you'd both be involved with.  Is Amber also involved with the show or is it just you?

Rob:  No, Amber's not involved other than the fact that she's my wife [and] I'm going to be gone for 100 days [during the show's production] and all summer long [during] casting.  This is something that they approached [just] me about...

Reality TV World:  Given how long the actual production is going to last, is she planning to come along with you?

Rob:  No, but I'm sure that when I go to places like Antarctica, she's going to want to see it.  It's pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I'm sure she'll want to come down for it.  A visit along the way... three months is a long time to be away.

Reality TV World:  What type of people are you looking for in the casting process?

Rob:  First of all, I want to say the main casting director for this show [is] Tad Frank, who is one of the biggest casting directors in all of Hollywood.  He's cast Survivor, The Amazing Race and tons of other shows.  But what we're looking for in contestants is obviously you have to have a Type A, outgoing personality -- people that have the ability to think outside the box [and] the competitive drive that they're going to do whatever it takes to win.  [Applicants have to] understand that this is a game, and that people are competing, so just bring that competitive spirit.  We're not looking for the faint of heart.  Obviously we're looking for the best of the best. 

I'll put it to you like this -- you know how competitive I was on all the shows?  I'm looking for people that are more competitive than I was... if that's out there.  I want guys and girls that are just basically gung-ho about the thing and they're going to do whatever it takes to win.  You have to be... between [the ages of] 21 and 65 but other than that, we're looking for all different types of people. That's the general consensus of what we're looking for, but if you don't think you necessarily fit into that mold, then you better step it up if you plan on getting chosen.

Reality TV World:  Does your involvement with Tontine mean that we won't be seeing a second season of your Fox reality show, Rob and Amber: Against All Odds?

Rob:  At this time, that's still up to them.  We're still negotiating on that.  But [Tontine] is the main thing that I'm working on right now.  But I was just down in Las Vegas a few weeks ago... last week actually.  I played in one of the preliminary events of the [World Series of Poker].  I finished 82nd out of 2,998.  So that's going well too.

Reality TV World:  Are you working on some other additional projects beyond Tontine or is this it for now?

Rob: (laughing)  This is a big one.  This is it.  It's taking up all of my time.

Reality TV World:  Earlier this year, you told OK! Weekly you and Amber were planning to start a family "pretty soon." Is that on hold for a couple months now while you're away?

Rob:  (laughing)  For a couple months anyway... "soon" is a relative word.

Offline HurricaneHowieWood

• Big Brother Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • Reality TV! Pick your poison!
Re: Tontine
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »
LOL!  Dang it Puddin!  you beat me!  I was gonna post this!  :lol3:
Like Us On FB: Reality Fan Forum

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
haha Beefcake, so sorry but I google amazing race news just about every hour and this came up  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 04:11:20 PM »
Tontine – The Inside Scoop On The New Reality Show With A $10 Million Prize Direct From Boston Rob
While Boston Rob Mariano was in Nashville casting for Tontine, Reality TV Magazine sat down with him for an exclusive one-on-one interview. Several new reality TV shows launch every year, but very few have the success of American Idol or the staying power of Survivor.  However, Tontine looks like it could set a new bar for all of reality television.  With a $10 Million prize, a 100 day competition that spans 7 continents, and one of the most successful stars in reality TV history as host, Tontine could prove to be the best thing to happen to reality TV since sixteen survivors competed for a million dollars on an island off the coast of Borneo seven years ago.

more here
http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2007/07/tontine-the-ins.html

Offline discodivadied

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 04:40:41 AM »
This sounds like an interesting idea.  The fact that "Boston" Rob will be hosting makes me excited I think he is scrumptuous.  What is the deal with the network not announcing who they are. . . so mysterious  :knuckles:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:57:16 AM »
We are guessing that Rob really doesn't have a network yet  :lol:

Offline discodivadied

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 02:31:11 AM »
I'm totally gonna audition this weekend, I can't believe he's gonna be home in Boston.  I bet he's gonna have so much energy  :dancer:  I wonder what they are gonna ask. . . I have never tried out for a reality show, this is going to be insane!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
Good luck!!  :jumpy:

Offline PsychoJason

• RFF Full Member
  • youtube.com/RetroWinnipeg
    • Win with Dell
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:05:08 AM »
Hey Rob. You'll love this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjLJ-qUNvU

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »
From an Interview with Survivor's Ashley:
ROB:Yeah, we’re excited. We’re looking to film it in just a few weeks or so. We’re finalizing the casting selections within the next couple of weeks, and it’ll be here in the spring.

LINK
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »
Does anyone think this show is really going to happen?  It sounds like it could be good.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 06:02:21 PM »
The last I saw of this, Rob got into a fight at a show registration in Las Vegas.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
I think the truth is he never had a network/sponsor for this show so it didn't take off.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »
Thought this was thankfully gone for good? Think again!  IT'S BAAAAACK!!!!   :groan:

“Tontine Massacre”: The Most Cutthroat Reality Show Since “The Real Housewives”! 

Would you sign away your life savings for the chance to win $10 million?

This was the question I asked myself when I heard about the documentary-style movie, Tontine Massacre, starring reality TV fav, "Boston Rob" Mariano, as the host of the new reality show "Tontine". A cross between “Survivor” and “The Amazing Race” (both shows Boston Rob has finaled on), the show features 15 contestants who are willing to give up their own money in hopes of being the last one standing and winning the biggest prize in reality TV history. The players have to complete mental and physical challenges while racing around the world for 100 days. But when the contestants start turning up either dead or "missing,” well, that’s when it starts getting good.

As a reality TV and horror junkie myself, I can't wait to see what happens when the two worlds collide. If you loved The Blair Witch Project or you just can't enough of reality TV, check out Tontine Massacre, but be ready to sleep with the lights on for a few days…

Watch the creep-tastic trailer below:

http://www.younghollywood.com/the-ultimate-insider/tontine-massacre-the-most-cutthroat-reality-show-since-the-real-housewives.html

OFFICIAL WEBSIGHT
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
:lol3: that is like  Blair Witch Project meets Lost!!
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
Sounds like a Horror Show to me! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
WTF  :duno: :duno: :duno: :duno: :duno: :duno:

I thought it was a reality competition show, not a slasher movie.  Has this morphed into something crappy like The Scorned, which starred a bunch of reality stars five or so years ago?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »
I have no isea what happened to this. I wonder if they never got a sponsor and then this morphed? Weird...did they really use the applicants or change to actors?? :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »
Ugh, if they want us to know this is reality TV, they should stop these exaggerating crap.

But if what they show IS real... O_o

But since Boston Rob is hosting, that will probably lower the tension. ^_^
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »
I peeked into this thread and laughed. So Tontine is actually Survivor: Heroes VS Villians and Survivor: Redemption Island??

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
I peeked into this thread and laughed. So Tontine is actually Survivor: Heroes VS Villians and Survivor: Redemption Island??

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

:lol3: :jam:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 01:44:53 AM »
 :duno: I was actually hoping this would work out for Rob...

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
:duno: I was actually hoping this would work out for Rob...
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains