Author Topic: Junior Masterchef  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Junior Masterchef
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:31 PM »
So, over on our side of the Pacific, a new reality show has been created in what I see as an attempt to cash in on the Masterchef/Top Chef franchise.

They have created Junior Masterchef.

Basically, it works the same as the regular versions, but with kids.

I don't think it will work, and my 5 point plan will run us all through why.

1- Nobody likes to see kids breaking down on national TV.

Reality shows are built on identifying with and loving certain contestants. It is a simple fact that you cannot have heroes without villains. No amount of creative and/or selective editing can turn a 12 year old kid into a villain. Without heroes and villains, a reality show does not work.

2- The gimmicky nature of the show.

Everybody knows that when a show gets gimmicky, the franchise dies (The Apprentice seems to be the exception to this rule.) Junior Masterchef in itself is a gimmick on the franchise, and from the promos (So far) all I have seen is a live chicken, and thousands upon thousands of crates. In one, the host claims to be talking to a girl "Like a fourth year apprentice, not a 12 year old" However, in the same promo, we are treated to the classically corny "Can you do it?" "Yes we can!"

Okay, so it was only a 2 point plan. Anyway, I think the show is doomed.

Any thoughts?

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: Junior Masterchef
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
HMmmmm. At first I thought it could work but you make two good points why it might not work, particularly watching a young kid crying because of failing to perform a task.

Keep us posted!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »
First episode aired a few nights ago. Personally, I did not watch it, because I am not a fan of Masterchef to begin with, however, 2.2 million people watched it nationally (That is HUGE numbers (roughly 10% of the population.) It was the most watched show of the week by a long margin.

As expected, the eliminated contestants were not given much time beyond being told of their fate.

On another interesting note: The contestants parents were in the studio audience, and apparently must be with the children at all times during filming of the show for legal reasons.

Also allegedly, Junior Masterchef has been hit by the plague of the MACTOR! With reports of child actors and models being actively recruited for the show, despite having no interest in cooking. (Surprise, surprise  :res:)

So, long story short. Mixed reviews, most of the negativity seems to be centered around recruiting, the pressure put on such young kids, and the fact that grown adults cannot cook the dishes these kids are producing (I thought that was the point of the show)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »
I like the promo:  :-[

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:12:31 AM »
Love the little girl who we see at the end of the video.  :lol:

There are some awesome dishes in this promo! Wow!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:29:47 AM »
There are already some semifinal vids out there, if you want to be spoiled. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »
Heard rumors on the radio station 3AW today about fast tracking a 2nd series, also. I forgot that part earlier.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
2nd episode has aired.

Junior Masterchef reported a drop of half a million viewers nationwide (This is a reasonably large drop) to 1.7 million.

In Victoria, viewership dropped from 850,000 and change to just under 600,000.

The numbers may have been in part due to showing it opposite a documentary on Jim Stynes, a prominent Australian Footballer who is now battling cancer.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »
Is the show still being aired?  :(

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 01:06:46 AM »
I'm actually watching this now and i'm kind of intrigued by the food that they're able to prepare.. it seems like they took loads of effort to learn that one dish.. and other than that, they don't really know how to cook anything else. LOL