The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

TAR Detective Summer School

(1/2) > >>

georgiapeach:
I thought it might be fun for all of us Detectives  to use some of our downtime here to learn some new tricks before the new season starts, and was hoping that  maybe we can all help each other to upgrade our skills! Airline searches, photosite searches, Google GE, GPS coordinates, how you organize your data, fancy techy tools-- whatever will help us share spoiler info out on the site as quickly as possible. Things that will help all of us detectives to do a better job--TAR Detective Summer School!  :happy:

I am the most untechy of us all and have learned so much from each of you--but there is lots and lots more I'd like to be able to do so I do hope that all of you with a particular expertise will be willing to share your knowledge and skills with the rest of us (might be mostly me! :lol:).

If you are brand new here, please go to the Support Page first. You will find info there on how to post a link, how to post a picture, and how to post a picture using attachments, and much, much, more that will help you get started joining in here.

WARNING: TAR Detectiveness is highly addictive and very contagious. It may result in aberrant behavior and long periods of sleep deprivation. Contact with infected persons should be minimized to avoid an epidemic. Contamination may occur after minimal exposure. Significant use of internally applied alcohol may minimize symptoms.

georgiapeach:
Okay, I'll start the ball rolling!

1) I'm a Google Earth (GE) novice and spent most of last season at war with the darned thing! (:;)  I think I have finally taught it to not to leave me stranded in West Africa every time it opens but I have so much more to learn!

--embarrassingly  :-[, I know next to nothing about using coordinates. I have found this site on GPS Coordinates very helpful--but are there other tricks (or simpler ones) that I should know?

--what is a kmz file and should I know how to post one? If so, how please? (language for dummies please ;))

--Are there any hints for using the new highly detailed Peeping Tom features for in city Googling?

--Why do sometimes some of you only see "cloud cover" and I get the same unclouded view every single time? Is there a "stock" view as compared to a "live" view?

--which of the little "mark on your map" boxes (roads, attractions, etc) should I check? Which are useful and which are not?

--How do I do a tilted view like this one?

Still with me?? :lol:

2) I would very much like to learn to "capture" the previews and all from the show on TV to my computer--just so puddin doesn't always have to do it for us and as a backup in case her power goes out again! But so far the consensus seems to be that since I only have a laptop (a nice one with lots of lovely memory) that this might not be possible. Does anyone have any ideas? I am willing to purchase/download/install whatever I would need but need some advice please! I am using Windows IE6 if that matters.

Those are my biggies--what about y'all? Teach one/ share one/ learn one--I hope!

Boingo:

--- Quote from: georgiapeach on June 24, 2007, 06:47:33 PM ---WARNING: TAR Detectiveness is highly addictive and very contagious. It may result in aberrant behavior and long periods of sleep deprivation. Contact with infected persons should be minimized to avoid an epidemic. Contamination may occur after minimal exposure. Significant use of internally applied alcohol may minimize symptoms.

--- End quote ---

:chillpill:

Dr. Boingo suggests the following treatment for your condition:
- Put the mouse pointer down.
- Step away from the keyboard.
- Turn off the computer.
- Walk over to the TV, and tune into Big Brother 8, July 5th, and put brain into neutral.
- Enjoy your summer with mindless "hamster" entertainment.
- If symptoms persist, repeat again from the beginning.

The "Chenbot" can be your friend.   :lol3: :snicker: ;D :lol: ;)

georgiapeach:
Heee...Boingo watches BB?! I wouldn't have guessed! :gva:

Kogs:

--- Quote from: Boingo on June 24, 2007, 07:05:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: georgiapeach on June 24, 2007, 06:47:33 PM ---WARNING: TAR Detectiveness is highly addictive and very contagious. It may result in aberrant behavior and long periods of sleep deprivation. Contact with infected persons should be minimized to avoid an epidemic. Contamination may occur after minimal exposure. Significant use of internally applied alcohol may minimize symptoms.

--- End quote ---

The "Chenbot" can be your friend.   :lol3: :snicker: ;D :lol: ;)

--- End quote ---

its also a great drinking game :lol: :lol: :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version