Author Topic: "Big Brother" Australia gets in 'Big' trouble with Mexico  (Read 1734 times)

Offline HurricaneHowieWood

• Big Brother Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • Reality TV! Pick your poison!
"Big Brother" Australia gets in 'Big' trouble with Mexico
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
I know this isn't really related to BB 8 but since we don't have a board for BB Australia, i posted it here.

Source: http://www.comcast.net/tv/index.jsp?cat=TELEVISION&fn=/2007/06/22/696493.html&cvqh=itn_bigbrother

'Big Brother' Apologizes to Mexico
By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer
2 hours ago

MEXICO CITY - An Australian production company has apologized to Mexico for a segment of a "Big Brother" reality program that showed people throwing water balloons at the Mexican flag.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department on Wednesday sent protest letters to the program and the Australian government, saying the country's flag had been desecrated on the show that aired June 15.

"I apologize on behalf of the producers of Big Brother for any offense suffered and assure you this will never happen again," wrote Kris Noble, the managing director of entertainment company Endemol Southern Star, in a letter Thursday to the Mexican Embassy in Australia.

"The segment was intended as a lighthearted tribute to Mexico and its vibrant cultural heritage, which we all admire and enjoy," the letter stated.

Mexico's protest letters said that the country's flag "has a long and proud history and it stands as a powerful symbol that identifies and unites Mexican citizens wherever they live.

Australia's government regulator of television broadcasters, the Australian Communications and Media Authority, was "considering a response", the agency's media manager, Donald Robertson, said Friday.

Mexico's Televisa network repeatedly aired segments of the show, in which participants wearing oversized Mexican sombreros and droopy false mustaches hurled balloons at a Mexican flag.

In one segment, contestants were asked to name the country from which Mexico won its independence. The contestant who answered the United States was told that was the right answer. Mexico gained independence from Spain.

Sydney-based Southern Star produces Big Brother under a joint venture with the Netherlands-based entertainment company Endemol NV.

Like Us On FB: Reality Fan Forum

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
Re: "Big Brother" Australia gets in 'Big' trouble with Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:08:05 PM »
Isn't there more important things to worry and complain about than what's going on on a reality TV show overseas? LOL
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
Re: "Big Brother" Australia gets in 'Big' trouble with Mexico
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »
I haven't gotten to that part in the show yet...it'll be interesting to see that once I get there.  Anyone else watch this show?