Author Topic: Top Chef Season 3  (Read 26676 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Top Chef Season 3
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »
EPISODE 10

This episode starts with the chefs being theoretically woken up by Padma (do you really believe that they weren't already awake and faking it for the camera?). She gets them to come to their suite kitchen, where 6 Breville blenders and butane burners (what, no product placement?) are waiting along with a cornupcopia of ingredients. It's a Quickfire and each chef has 20 minutes to create a delicious berakfast which Padma will sample and judge. Hung starts by knocking over a bottle of truffle oil onto the floor, spilling it and creating a mess that nobody hsa time to clean up. The creations are:

Brian - lobster and butter poached egg with blackberry/raspberry/banana smoothie

CJ - crepes with a shake of blueberry, dates and mascarpone

Hung - steak and eggs plus a smoothie comprised of papya, bananas and Grand Marnier

Sarah - multigrain French toast with eggs and prosciutto 

Dale - ham, apple, onion fritatta

Casey - French toast with salmon, sunnyside up eggs, spinach, salsa, grapefruit

Hung wins over Sarah because he "used his blender to hit all parts of Padma's palate." His immediate reward is an early copy of Padma's new book "Tangy, Tart, Hot and Sweet," but you know that a more substantive reward will be forthcoming.

Padma tells the chefs that they will leave Miami in the afternoon, so pack up. She gives Hung the tickets. When they open them, the destination is New York City.  Actually, not quite. It's Newark Airport after a flight on Continental Airlines. Padma meets the plane and announces that they will be staying near Newark Airport overnight and coming back to that airport the next day. The chefs are disappointed as they were looking forward to the Big Apple. They will have to survive an Elimination Challenge before they get there.

The Elimination Challenge is to create an entree with starch and vegetable on an airline tray that fits into the heating system on airplanes. Hung got the advantage of picking a protein which nobody else can pick. They will have 2 hours in the Continental kitchens to assemble and prep 18 trays for the judges plus other frequent travelers. The judges are Jimmy McLoughlin, executive chef of Continental Airlines, and Anthony Bourdain plus Tom and Padma. The frequent travelers turn out to be what looks like a total of 28 Continental Elite flight attendants. A plane inside a hangar is used for the final food prep and serving. It has both rear and front galleys, so 2 chefs will go simultaneously, with half of the flight attendants plus all of the judges getting the trays from each one.

Hung - Chilean sea bass with tomato sauce and onions

CJ - Halibut with broccolini and mint vinaigrette and toasted farro with mint oil (I'll have to find out what farro is, so pardon my ignorance)

Dale - Steak au Poivre with Mushroom DemiGlace and Leeks

Brian - NY strip steak and lobster and potato hash

Casey - Veal Medallions with Cauliflower gratin, crimini sauce and apple brandy

Sarah - Seared Salmon, leek fondue, spinach, fig couscous

Tom visits and states that there is a limited amount of space. He feels that meat is preferred over seafood.
Dale in plating from his trays micsounts and sends out 17 when 18 are needed. This is noted by the Judges Table, but doesn't burn him.
Brian's lobster was rubbery and his hash was "disgusting". He's in trouble.
Hung's dish was good all-around.
Casey's dish was "very sophisticated and creative." You know she is going to win tonight when they say that.
Sarah's salmon was "beyond overcooked" and totally dry; her couscous had no flavor. she's in trouble.
CJ's halibut was OK but his broccolini was "the worst single dish ever in 3 years of this competition." He's in trouble.

Casey was the winner over Hung and Dale(who was lucky to be in that group).
The loser's group was between Sarah, CJ and Dale. CJ was taken down by that "worst dish ever" tag. He should never have allowed that broccolini to go out, a point made by Anthony Bourdain.

I see the final 2 now as being Hung (predicted last week) and Casey (who has emerged from the pack).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 12:23:31 PM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the excellent summary. (As always!)  I was so involved with Big Brother I haven't had a chance to watch yet so this is much appreciated.

You're the best apskip!!  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »
EPISODE 11 (5 chefs remaining)

This one had previewed last week as being at the French Culinary Institute. Who would you expect to excel at fine French cuisine? Sara, the cheese maker from Jamaica, Brian the fish guy, Dale the goodness knows what, Casey the Japnese restautant exec chef, or Hung, the sous chef at Guy Savoy one of the finest French restaurants in the world(I ate at the Paris original in 1983 and can personally attest to that). Not too difficult to make a good choice, was it?

The chefs have made it to the Big Apple and they are treated to something very special, a dish at Le Cirque(I also ate there in 1985), also one of the very best French restaurants in the world. Owner Sirio Maccione explains that it is White Sea Bass with Russet Potatoes, Leeks, and Sauce and that it is not on the regular menu at Le Cirque; it is reserved for VIPs only. The Quickfire Challenge is to most perfectly match the way in which the one they ate was created. They have 25 minutes to do so, one at a time. Sirio is the Judge, although Padma will eat with him. Sirio's comments on the results are:

Sara - fish not cooked in the middle(Note: due to pre problems, she was not able to get it on the pan in time to throughly cook it)
Dale - no seasoning
Casey - better than any of the others
Hung - fish perfect, potato wrapped correctly
Brian - no comment

Sara loses big. Hung wins a close one over Casey.

Chefs move on to the French Culinary Institute, where a team of distinguished faculty awaits to eat the food that these chefs will cook. The Elimination Challenge is to Create a Fabulous Meal Using Basic Ingedients of Yellow Onion, Chicken, Russet Potato.
Hung gets an extra 30 minutes to cook on top of the 2 hours that everyone else gets. All have $200 and 1 hour to shop at Green Market. Dish choices are:

Brian - peasant's pie with chicken, pheasant, sausage, potato and ramp(I'm going to find out what this is; NOTE added later- it is a wild leek) puree
Sara - fricasee chicken with potato and Israelo couscous risotto
Dale - duet of chicken with onions and potato puree, honey sauce and rosemary
Casey - Coq Au Vin(which she misprounces as Venn), whipped potatoes, sauteed ramp (there it is again), asparagus
Hung - Sous Vide Chicken, Crispy Chicken Skins, Potatoes Dauphines, Salad

At Judges Table the Guest Judge is the venerable Andre Soltner, retired chef of Lutece another of the world's geratest French restaurants(I ate there is 1985; it was a very good year). He takes the strongest role I have ever seen from a Guest Judge, which is not suprising since what does Tom Colicchio know about French cooking compared to him.

Soltner states that Hung's creation is excellent except for the potatoes, which are not dauphines.
Sara's dish is rated as too ambitious.
Dale's dish was rated as not having sufficient flavor. In his haste, Dale forgot to add a critical sauce.
Brian's dish drew several positive comments.
Casey's dish was rated as having a lot of flavor, being the most refined, and being the best dish (by Gale), but Soltner said is was not Coq Au Vin.

The winners choice was between Hung, Casey and Brian, but really between the first two. Gail had voted for Casey, Padma for Brian, Andre for Hung, so Tom decided it. The choice was on whether calling a chicken (not the old hen called for in coq au vin) dish by that label was agreater sin than having potatoes that were not dauphines. The nod went to Hung.
The losers choice was between bad concept(Dale) or bad execution (Sara). Sara was given the boot. Dale gets to move ahead.

Casey sums up the competition thus far by stating that she views her only real competition as Hung. I believe that she's right.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:31:28 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 11:21:28 PM »
FIRST ROUND OF FINALS (4 contestants left)

Brian, Dale, Casey and Hung arrive in Aspen/Snowmass. They are taken to a hot air balloon and enjoy champagne, but this is TopChef so you know that it is not just a ride for the view. The balloonist sets them down by the Frying Pan River where a rudimentary outdoor kitchen has been set up. The Guest Judge is Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin, a seafood expert. Each chef has a frying pan, camp stove, supply of trout, and supply of ingredients to create a dish. They have 20 minutes to do so. This is fraught with problems, as Brian loses an entire pan of fish that were not cooking right. The dishes presented are:

Brian - trout cooked in rendered fat, trout egg, red pepper, brown buter, salad
Casey - trout with grapes and corn
Dale - filet of trout with cayenne seasoning, bacon, apple, fennel and bourbon
Hung - filet of trout (supposed to be with lemon juice, but he is overcofident and forgets it) with sauteed mushrooms

Hung finished 7 minutes early. Hung states that his skillet techniques are "much more refined"  and that he wants to win for his father who brought him to the U.S. from VietNam.

Eric finds that Brian did not season his salad.
He decided that Cale's cayenne seasoning was not appopriate.
It's between very good dishes from Casey and Hung. Eric decides that Cacsey has "soul" and gives her the win. It soon turns out that this allows Casey to use some of her $200 worth of special ingredients if she chooses to. Casey elects to save them for the final Final round. Hung says "I tried Casey's dish. My dish was more refined." He doesn't get that he has no soul, which even Eric Ripert can see (or more likely has been told be Tom Colicchio).

The Chefs are staying at the Hotel Jerome. For those who have been to Aspen, you know that it is the most celebrated accomodations in town. I don't know precisely, but I guess $400 a night in the offseason. It also still (I think) hosts a musical review performance of the singing waiters, talented musicians who wait tables and perform so they can ski.

The chefs are taken to the Moon Run Ranch and told that they are catering a rodeo cookout for 45 cowboys and cowgirls plus the judges. They are taken to the Aspen Meadows Resort where they get 3 hours prep and cook time, but first they learn that their protein is elk meat. Viewers later learn that cauliflower and potatoes and corn are the vegetables available.

Brian - whiskey-braised elk shank, pancetta corn, asparagus relish, blackberry/huckleberry sauce, blackberry and sage butter, choice of Gorgonzola or Gruyere cheese
Dale - cauliflower and potatoes with dried cherry, herb salad, spice-rubbed seared elk loin
Casey - mushroom crusted loin of elk, smoked tomato butter, cauliflower duo, corn sprout, poached pear
Hung - seared elk loin, pommes boulongere, chocolate red wine sauce

Dale was forced to reformulate when his planned onion and goat cheese tart was not going well.
Hung finishes 12 minutes early. He deliberately does not offer to help any of the others, since he believes in survival of the fittest.
Gail states that Brian took 25 minutes to explain his dish to her. It is clearly no compliment.

At Judges Table, Eric summarizes overall by stating that the dishes were delicious.
Eric liked Dale's best with the huckleberry sauce. Dale tells him that it was a huckleberry/blackberry sauce.
Tom said that Hung's dish suffered from seasonal disorder.
Padma said Brian's shank was excellent and she liked the cheese choice.
Eric strongly disgreed, particularly on the cheese choice. He said that Brian should ahve made that decision for his guests and picked the better fit.
Eric used the words "black and blue"(meaning too rare) to refer to Casey's elk. He did state that her smoked tomato sauce was amazing.
Dale admitted to controlled chaos with many ingredients.
Tom said that Casey's chunks of cauliflower did not go well with her puree.
Hung thought he had given diners something different. Tom did not agree and said that he did not see anything of Hung in this food.
Brian was taken to task for his huge list of ingredients.

Dale was the consensus chocie as the winner. He gets to go to Grand Cayman with Eric and be part of a joint demo there.
It was a close and interesting choice on who would go home, as only one would. Instead of just 2 final Finalists, there will be 3 this year, due to the quality of the competition acording to Tom.
It could have been any of the other 3, but Brian was chosen for elimination. If 2 were eliminated I think Casey would also have been selected, as she was a little shaky on the Elimination Challenge. Her win in the Quickfire prevented her from going tonight. I have seen that several times in thsi competition. A person losing the Quickfire freqeuntly is the one chosen to be eliminated when there is a close vote.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:28:32 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »
ANALYSIS of 3 FINAL FINALISTS

Dale - What is he doing here? He pulls out his first victory in the Elimination Challenge and makes it to the final competition. Can he do this twice in a row? I don't think so.

Hung - The master of technical chef skills reminds me of Marcel without Marcel's charm. Both work at Guy Savoy Restaurant in Las Vegas and both have been rightly viewed by all the other contestants as obnoxious. Hung has great talent but I do not like him. I hope he loses next week.

Casey - She is the darling of the competition. She is sound put not polished. She is going to have to be inspired and lucky to win. My guess is that she will be.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons are doing their contestants a big favor, planned am I sure, to acclimate them to Aspen during the finals of TopChef3 so that the winner will have less of a disadvantage against his/her competitors in the later Aspen Food and Wine Festival.

Offline shadia

• RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »
ANALYSIS of 3 FINAL FINALISTS

Dale - What is he doing here? He pulls out his first victory in the Elimination Challenge and makes it to the final competition. Can he do this twice in a row? I don't think so.

Hung - The master of technical chef skills reminds me of Marcel without Marcel's charm. Both work at Guy Savoy Restaurant in Las Vegas and both have been rightly viewed by all the other contestants as obnoxious. Hung has great talent but I do not like him. I hope he loses next week.

Casey - She is the darling of the competition. She is sound put not polished. She is going to have to be inspired and lucky to win. My guess is that she will be.

Couldn't of said it better myself.  :tup:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »
I don't believe Dale belongs there and I question letting 3 people compete, a complete change for the other 2 seasons. It does seem to me that it has been set up for Casey to win, Hung as 2nd place.

I wonder how much we have not seen because of editing. I did get to see both of the last episodes while traveling, and I thought it was an unfair comment to tell Hung that he didn't have anything of himself in his elk dish. HUH?  ???

I believe Hung said he hadn't ever cooked elk while Casey was familiar with it and yet her meat was raw and not cooked properly where Hung's dish was. That was the main ingredient, I thought that should have been a black mark against her, but I also thought that it was fair for Brian to go and they kept 3 for finalists and she does belong there much more so than Dale.

I also (kinda) don't blame Hung for not helping the others, they have never helped him in the past when he could have used some assistance and even if he had helped them, would they have given him any appreciation? Doubt it.

In past seasons, the winner was outstanding from early on, can't say that this year. I'm pulling for Hung, but believe Casey will win.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2007, 10:14:16 PM »
Texas Lady, you just made an argument for why Casey should not have been in the Final 2 if that existed. If there were only 2 chefs going forward to the Final Finals, then Casey would have bitten the dust and it would be Hung vs. Dale. In essence it would be a variation of what happened last year when Ilan snuck in and shouldn't have been there.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
Texas Lady, you just made an argument for why Casey should not have been in the Final 2 if that existed. If there were only 2 chefs going forward to the Final Finals, then Casey would have bitten the dust and it would be Hung vs. Dale. In essence it would be a variation of what happened last year when Ilan snuck in and shouldn't have been there.

I agree that Ilan never should have been there, he was a one trick pony and his lack of skills showed this year in the season1 vs season 2 challenge.

I would NOT be happy to see Dale in a final 2, but he wouldn't be able to pull off a winning performance. I'm confident of that. I still am puzzled by having a final 3. (If I make no sense.. I'm just getting back from my trip and have jet lag.)  :wall:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2007, 10:43:34 PM »
Top Chef3 has a winner. Unfortunately, Casey had a less than stellar performance so it was between Hung and Dale. The decision had to be very close, but they gave the title and the $100,000 to Hung. I will have more detail in the morning.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »
Top Chef3 has a winner. Unfortunately, Casey had a less than stellar performance so it was between Hung and Dale. The decision had to be very close, but they gave the title and the $100,000 to Hung. I will have more detail in the morning.

I'm sure it will be another beautifully written report and I will certainly appreciate it. Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the 4th dish (Scallops) for Dale a collaboration 50/50 with CJ? That could have been a factor in their decision.

I must say that while I said I didn't think Dale should have been in the final 3, he did a great job. Casey had physical problems adjusting to the hight altitudes at Aspen, you could hear it in her sighing and breathing when she was prepping and I think it threw her off her game.

Loved the actual competition, hated the final reveal.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »

I'm sure it will be another beautifully written report and I will certainly appreciate it. Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the 4th dish (Scallops) for Dale a collaboration 50/50 with CJ? That could have been a factor in their decision.

I must say that while I said I didn't think Dale should have been in the final 3, he did a great job. Casey had physical problems adjusting to the hight altitudes at Aspen, you could hear it in her sighing and breathing when she was prepping and I think it threw her off her game.

Loved the actual competition, hated the final reveal.

Texas Lady, let me address your comments. Dale did "get his chef back" during the last few episodes. I do not think that he lost points for collaborating with CJ any more than Hung did for collaborating on the cake with Sara. I thought Dale was going to be the winner, but the judges had other ideas. I think that Hung's consistency throughout the competition was the tie-breaker between them. Casey did have problems with the altitude, but so did Dale. 11,200 feet is no joke. I think Casey's recipes had more problems adjusting to the elevation than she did, as it was apparent that she had to make adjustmentts that threw her off. Her major problem, however, was inattention (probably caused by having to deal with altitude adjustments on other things) on the pork bellies, which dried out. That was the dish that murdered her with the judges.

I have to agree with you. The public voted 58% for Casey to win and that's what I wanted. The fact that she didn't was a disappointment. Nobody can say that Hung didn't earn it, but he does not inspire confidence as a human being and leader.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:00:50 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 09:44:06 AM »
FINAL FINALE

Casey, Hung and Dale go up the chairlift at Aspen to the Aspen Mountain cClub at 11,200 feet and find that their final competition is simply to make the best possible 3 course meal with the ingredients(which are diverse and copious) in front of them plus their special ingredients brought from home. They have 35 minutes to plan a menu and turn it in to Tom. Once he has that, knives are drawn to determine who is going to be their sous chef for 3 hours. They are expecting eliminated contestants, but Top Chef has a huge surprise for them. Stepping out of the first gondola (and thereby assigned to Hung) is Rocco Dispirito. Out of the second (and assigned to Casey) is Michelle Bernstein. Out of the third (and assigned to Dale) is Todd English.  These celebrities can only chop and prep; they cannot offer any advice on the menu or seasoning even though they clearly had some which was captured on voiceovers later. For example Michelle had serious reservations about the complexity of Casey's menu, particularly the pork bellies. Todd was worried about the complexity of Dale's recipes. The menus are:

Hung - raw sliced hamchi with tomato vinaigrette
          shrimp with caramelized tamarind sauce and coconut foam
          Duck Sous Vide with truffle sauce and chanterelles

Casey - Foie Gras, cinnamon scented scallops, and apple
          Prawns with lobster and mushroom broth
          Pork Bellies with peach

Dale  - Foie Gras with peaches and arugula
          Lobster with Gnocchi with mushrooms
          Colorado Lamb

The cooking was split over 2 days, the prep day and the finshing day. With one hour left to go in the cooking on the finishing day, Tom Colicchio comes to throw his ususal curveball. He offers the option of adding a fourth course, plus the availability of a sous chef for that hour. Knives are drawn.

Hung gets Sara and chooses Chocolate Cake with Raspberries   
Casey gets Howie and chooses Beef with Cabernet Sauce
Dale gets CJ and chooses Scallops

Judges Table has the celebrity chefs plus the unusual addition of Brian, the 4th place chef, who mentions eating his $100,000 meal (that's a good one, Brian). Two early comments were that Casey's dishes had "too much stuff" and Dale's scallops dish was exceptionally good. Tom referred to Dale's lobster as "inedible" although others did not agree with him. A lot of minor comments followed. It was clear that Casey was not going to be Top Chef, but it was a tossup between Dale and Hung at that point.

The final round of discussion was:
Gail got to conclude that Hung's first course was best and Casey's the worst
Dale's Scallops won the extra course honors.
Both Hung's Duck and Dale's Colorado Lamb were rated superb. Todd English called Hung's dish "3 Star Michelin".
Tom referred to Dale's lobster as "inedible" although others did not agree with him.

Gail made the statement that Dale's Colorado lamb was the best of the 4th courses, but that cannot be true since my notes clearly identify that as a 3rd course.
The Aspen part of the competition was concluded with the chefs left in suspense. Months later, live from Chicago, the final decision is announced at the end of this show: Hung wins. I believe that it was a tiebreaker between he and Dale decided by his consistency throughout the entiere season, which is a no contest nod to Hung. Marcel is shown congratulating Hung(both work at Guy Savoy in Las Vegas and note that Hung used a foam in his shrimp dish). Casey is a gracious loser, having known back from the comments back in Aspen that she didn't do well to win.

I think the "live finale" concept is ridiculous and Top Chef ought to get rid of it ASAP. It make them look stupid. This is not Survivor. This is a serious show.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2007, 01:00:23 AM »

An interesting article on Tom Colicchio vs. Gordon Ramsay:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071008/en_nm/michelin_newyork_dc

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2007, 08:23:08 AM »
Thank you for bringing a very interesting article to our attention. I guess that the time Tom Colicchio has spent becoming a TV star has not been covered by someone in the Craft kitchen while Ramsay's kitchen must have real depth.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
They had the Top Chef3 Reunion show last night. It was not as cheesy as most reality TV reunion shows, but it was way below the content of a regular episode. The great suspense of the evening, hyped up by the announcer, was for who was going to win a $10,000 prize as Fan's Favorite. Now anyone with half a brain knew it was going to be Casey, so they carefully had that presentation at the end of the show so they didn't lose any audience. The one creative part of the show was a vignette on the one love affair caught on camera - between Howie and Joey. This was cute. The rest of it was all routine schlock.

Congratulations to Casey! I wish you had cooked well enough to have won the big title.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
Top Chef held a Holiday Special competition in Chicago, the site of TopChef4. The show opened with the introduction of contestants:

Season 1 - Stephen, Tiffani
Season 2 - Marcel, Betty, Josie
Season 3 - Tre, CJ, Sandee

In the Quickfire the chefs were greeted by Padma and a mystery Santa, who turned out to be noted restauranteur/chef Eric Ripert. The chefs had to create a dish from one gifted ingredient, which was chosen through a game of "Dirty Santa" where each succeeding picker had the chocie of any previous gift or any remaining one under the tree.  Ultimately CJ won the Quickfire, which gave him a limited advantage in the Elimination Challenge. For the Elimination Challenge, the chefs had to create a a three-course meal. Every course would be judged head-to-head, with two chefs eliminated each round. Because CJ won the Quickfire, he could get a free pass in any of the courses, except the last. The advisory judges were Ripert and 4 notable U.S. chefs who appeared on one of the first 3 Top Chefs. The final judges were Tom, Padma, Gail, and Ted. The first round saw the elimination of Stephen and Sandee. The second round eliminated Betty and Josie, although Marcel was very close to going. The third round took out Marcel and CJ. Tiffani and Tre are left trying decide which to congratulate, but that Tom Colicchio twist was about to hit. It was one more surprise course using anything left in the kitchen, including leftovers not served previously, in 30 minutes.

Tiffani wisely snapped up Stephen for her team and also added Josie and Sandee because she thought they were for her. Stephen's unserved lamb dish plus puff pastry was the basis of their final dish. Tre was more constrained, as he did not have any protein to access. Betty's unserved dessert did give him the basis for a dessert and he gave it his all with Betty, CJ and Marcel. It sounded like a very close decision, but the votes from the advisory judges sounded decisive in favor of Tiffani. She won the $20,000 which was going to her Los Angeles restaurant startup. Tre won redemption plus a pile of books, no doubt including Padma's.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:01:17 PM by apskip »

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2007, 01:45:12 AM »
Top Chef held a Holiday Special competition in Chicago, the site of TopChef4. The show opened with the introduction of contestants:

Season 1 - Stephen, Tiffani
Season 2 - Marcel, Betty, Josie
Season 3 - Tre, CJ, Sandee

In the Quickfire the chefs were greeted by Padma and a mystery Santa, who turned out to be noted restauranteur/chef Eric Ripert. The chefs had to create a dish from one gifted ingredient, which was chosen through a game of "Dirty Santa" where each succeeding picker had the chocie of any previous gift or any remaining one under the tree.  Ultimately CJ won the Quickfire, which gave him a limited advantage in the Elimination Challenge. For the Elimination Challenge, the chefs had to create a a three-course meal. Every course would be judged head-to-head, with two chefs eliminated each round. Because CJ won the Quickfire, he could get a free pass in any of the courses, except the last. The advisory judges were Ripert and 4 notable U.S. chefs who appeared on one of the first 3 Top Chefs. The final judges were Tom, Padma, Gail, and Ted. The first round saw the elimination of Stephen and Sandee. The second round eliminated Betty and Josie, although Marcel was very close to going. The third round took out Marcel and CJ. Tiffani and Tre are left trying decide which to congratulate, but that Tom Colicchio twist was about to hit. It was one more surprise course using anything left in the kitchen, including leftovers not served previously, in 30 minutes.

Tiffani wisely snapped up Stephen for her team and also added Josie and Sandee because she thought they were for her. Stephen's unserved lamb dish plus puff pastry was the basis of their final dish. Tre was more constrained, as he did not have any protein to access. Betty's unserved dessert did give him the basis for a dessert and he gave it his all with Betty, CJ and Marcel. It sounded like a very close decision, but the votes from the advisory judges sounded decisive in favor of Tiffani. She won the $20,000 which was going to her Los Angeles restaurant startup. Tre won redemption plus a pile of books, no doubt including Padma's.

I can't get enough of Top Chef and was lucky enough to watch the Holiday Special competition that just re-aired tonight.
It was a great idea bringing them back for this one time competition.
I certainly hope they do something like this again.
Luckily I stopped reading after your first paragraph apskip, left me surprised for the twist at the end.
Loved it!!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:50:36 AM by ca bb fan »

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2007, 10:54:44 AM »
Anyone know anything about a fourth season?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »
Sure, it's filming already in Chicago. When BRAVO is going to start broadcasting it is unknown, but my guess is February for sweeps month.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »
The new season will begin on March 19th. The contestants are listed now on Bravo's website.

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/about/index.php

Whoohoo! I can't wait!  :jumpy:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
Texas Lady, there actually has been a separate thread, When Does Top Chef Chicago Start?, running for almost a month. There are interesting items there.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2008, 11:47:38 AM »
Texas Lady, there actually has been a separate thread, When Does Top Chef Chicago Start?, running for almost a month. There are interesting items there.

I am SO behind, thanks for letting me know!

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »

I am SO behind, thanks for letting me know!

Maybe be can have the topic title changed to Top Chef Chicago instead of a form of question.
Or I guess just start a new thread maybe?