Author Topic: Top Chef Season 3  (Read 26681 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Top Chef Season 3
« on: June 06, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »
Season 3 begins next week.

Also, on June 6th, there will be a grudge match between Season 1 and Season 2 chefs. Season 1 chefs: Harold Dieterle, Stephen Asprinio, Tiffani Faison, and Dave Martin) and Season 2 chefs (Ilan Hall, Sam Talbot, Elia Aboumrad, and Marcel Vigneron.

I can't wait to see Stephan and Marcel interact. :angel:

More details here: http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/index.php   :wohoo:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Top Chef Season 3
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »
I have Bravo but watch nothing on it so tell me TL, is it good? I'll try to watch if you remind me when its on  :snicker:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »
I have Bravo but watch nothing on it so tell me TL, is it good? I'll try to watch if you remind me when its on  :snicker:

Heh heh.. well tonight would be a good start, it will show the grudge match between the 2 seasons and repeats the next hour as well. 10/9 PM ET/CT and 11/10 PM ET/CT.

I'll try to remember to remind you next week... if I don't experience any senior moments.  ;)

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:41:24 AM »
Top Chef is well worth watching.  It's a basically a high-brow version of Hell's Kitchen.  If you've ever watched the Food Channel, then you would like this show.  Last season had a real "villain" which made for some good television.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:17:07 AM »
For an afficiando of seasons 1 and 2, it was a hoot watching the grudge match of 1 vs. 2. It was too bad that the more talented LeeAnne was not on the 1 team, which made room for Dave. The show started with a Quick-Fire with 10 minutes to cook the best dish involving 2 eggs with one hand behind your back. It was interesting to see them overcome this handicap. The result was the selection of team captains, Stephen for 1 and Marcel for 2. Stephen was declared the overall winner with the perfect omelet, which gave 1 an extra $100 for supplies in the EliminationChallenge. Guess what Stephen spent the money on? Anybody who watched season 1 knows that the answer is WINE. Chief Judge Tom Colicchio came by during the cooking and slyly pointed out to Stephen that since the wine was being served with head-to-head dishes, there were no guarantees that the wines he had selected weren't going to pair as well or better with the season 2 dishes.

The pairings of chefs with courses were:
Scallops - Dave vs. Elia (sporting white hair, maybe the result of shaving her head at the end of season 2)
Lobster - Stephen vs. Marcel
Duck - Harold (#1 winner) vs. Ilan (#2 winner) in the battle of champions
Kobe Beef - Tiffani vs. Sam

The judges were the ususal Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons, Padma Laksmi, and Ted Allen (of Queer Eye fame). The other 16 diners were the contestants for Top Chef 3, to be held in Miami as this contest was. The prize was $20,000 for charity. Stephen selected the Margaret Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and Marcel selected something I don't remember.

There was lots of controversy on every course as to who was the winner. The only clearcut winner was Harold over Ilan by default. They both apparently had the worst dishes of their teams, but Harold's was edible and Ilan's was not. Elia won a close victory over Dave in spite of some dislike for putting endive into the dish. Marcel did his signature foam, for the first time I can remember on Top Chef served tableside. He had a really good dish, but Stephen's was judged just a little better. Tiffani and Sam both had different garnishes for Kobe beef. Tiffani got the slight edge on flavor. With 3 wins to 1, the team victory and bragging went to team 1. I saw this more than anything as a vindication for Stephen and an indication of how putting Ilan in a non-Spanish environment would lead to his downfall by showing the narrowness of his cooking range. Marcel was his normal outspoken, taunting self. Tiffani was surprisingly low-key and did not get many sound bites.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:30:21 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 10:33:14 AM »
Sounds good! *makes mental note to self*

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
OK Ms. Puddin, the new season begins tonight, 10 PM EDT/9 PM Central. (Y'all in Mountain and Pacific time.. you are on your own.)  :kissy:

There will be reruns of the last week's challenge before the new season begins if you missed it. It was quite entertaining to see the 2 season's cooks and I do believe after watching it that Marcel was the better chef last season than Ilan and as Kilarney points out, the lack of skills was very evident when he couldn't cook the lamb because all he really knows is how to cook Spanish food. I didn't see any evidence of it, but Marcel really put his rival in a tough place because of his lack of knowledge. (I loved it!)

I also loved the return of Stephen, he wasn't quite as in love with beverages and explaining them but he still was true to form and that is a fun thing to watch.

Enjoy the new season!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »
Thank You TL! now to decide ...Rescue me or the Chefs  :groan:?

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »
Thank You TL! now to decide ...Rescue me or the Chefs  :groan:?

NOOOOOOOO Problem!! Watch Rescue me and the opener at 11, it repeats!  :hearts: Get in shape for BB late night happenins! :hearts:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
Episode 1

Top chef 3 started out with a typical Tom Colicchio catch-them-off-guard move. At an opening reception with copious very interesting munching choices available, he and Padma arrived and announcecd that a Quickfire was about to begin. The 15 contestants had 10 minutes to use any ingredients left over (and there was plenty to choose from) and available utensils and plates only to create an amuse bouche. They went right at it, with a wide variety of approaches. The two judged by Tom to be non-starters were the dishes from Tre and Clay, both of whom were pissed. Clay had not done an amuse bouche but a fruit cup. Tre had poor flavor results. The winner was Micah, who got immunity from the Elimination Challenge which was the next day.

Knives were drawn for the order of picking from a table of unusual entree ingredients to make a surf and turf. It was announced that the Guest Judge was Anthony Bourdain and that the more adventurous would be likely to be favored by him. There was enough for 2 people to choose the same ingredient. The #1 person chose and so on. They then had $30 and 30 minutes to shop at the local Fresh Market store in Miami Beach for other ingredients. Afterward, the first 8 numbers had 2 hours to cook and present. After they were judged, the last 7 numbers had 2 hours to cook and present. The cooking went along, but right at the end Howie failed to get his frog legs on the plate in time and could only present one of two planned dishes. Clay's dishes had problems and so did several others by male contestants (it should be noted that the bottom 4 and top 2 contestants in the judging were all male; the females were all in that safe middle). The top 2 were Hung and Tre. Hung was given a reference in the Season 1 vs. 2 contest by Marcel, who works at the same restaurant Guy Savoy in Las Vegas. Hung has the same insouciance that Marcel does. Tre obviously took his low standing in the Quickfire to heart and won the contest presenting antelope steaks with abalone sauce. Gail Simmons stated that in the previous seasons the winner of the first Elimination Challenge ended up winning the season. The lowest four were Howie, Clay, Dale, and Brian. Howie entertained the judges by answering a question from Anthony Bourdain by quoting from Bourdain's book as to why he overreached. It was really between Howie and Clay as to who would be eliminated. Howie had made a major mistake, but his sea urchin risotto dish was regarded highly by the judges and they though he had good potential, so he was saved. Clay was judged as immature and not worth saving, so he packed his knives.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:49:00 PM by apskip »

Offline shadia

• RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »
Love the show, but there is no eye candy this season <pouts>  :(

Offline TPorter2

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:28:54 PM »
Nice recap, apskip.  I am new to this show but it has some really devoted fans.  I have a lot to learn.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 02:48:26 PM »
Just downloaded the first episode. I think I may have caught the season finale of season 2 and was very interested in the show. I look forward to watching the first episode.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:24 AM »
Episode 2

Guest judge is Howard Van Aken, noted chef/resaturant owner from south Florida. Where is ted Allen when we need him?

Quickfire is to incorporate citrus in 10 minutes. Everyone does something unique and different. Losers are Micah with an avocado soup(and she's really pissed to be in the bottom 3), Sandee, and Sarah. Winners are Hung with slow roasted(in 10 minutes?) salmon w/watercress salad, CJ and Tre. Hung is given the win and immunity. Hung snuck in a zinger at Micah for complaining about problems her daughter was having. Hung said that you have to focus and not let other things distract you from what you have to do in this competition.

Elimination Challenge is Elegant Gourmet Barbecue for a Miami socialite's party. They have $200 each for 30 minutes shopping, then 2 hours prep time. When they get to the mansion, by the ocean are set up 14 outdoor grills similar to what you or I own. They have bags of Kingsford charcoal and mesquite chips and too much lighter fluid. 

Tom comes to check on the contestants. Brian won't tell him what he's doing; that's not a good sign for Brian's future as Tom always wants to know what's going on and part of the judging is on the contestant's ability to explain it. Tom states "Howie is already in trouble at the beginning becuase he is grilling his pork too soon", prophetic words as you will see. Barbecuing continues without mishap. There are no plating problems.
Here are the comments made at the first round of Judges Table:

Hung - served the simplest food(not a negative comment)
Tre - some felt too salty, others underseasoned; all thought it lacked acidity; Tre's in trouble
Sandee - her poached lobster violated the rules of barbecue
Brian - his seafood sausage met the high end BBQ concept
Sarah - her vietnamesse beef BBQ was very tasty
Micah - her lamb with pomegranate was very tasty
others - no comments at this time

Joey was very argumentative with others after the finish of cooking and upcoming. He accused Hung of stealing his watermelon shooter concept as a drink served with the meal; one of the women called him a fool for thinking that he patented a simple drink like that.

The losers group included Joey, Howie, Tre and Sandee.
Howie - his pork did indeed dry out because he sliced it too early; he stepped up and took responsibility for this mistake
Joey - his jerk chicken was "what he would serve in his backyard" and no way upscale
Tre - although he was in this group, his sins were minor becuase his flavors were really OK
Sandee - her lack of comprehension of barbecue put her in real jeopardy

While waiting, Joey and Howie got into a verbal joust. Howie accused Joey correctly of backbiting and Joey was growling back.The judges likened their decision to a contest between getting rid of someone who didn't understand barbecue vs. someone who wasn't upscale. It was pretty clear that Tre and Howie were going to survive and the choice of who to drop was between Joey and Sandee. Sandee got the nod, but I don't see Joey or Howie lasting long on this show.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:15:26 PM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 08:39:15 AM »
Thanks for the recaps. :) You do a great job!  :tup:

The personalities are becoming clearer now. I agree Howie and Joey won't last much longer. I see Tre and Hung as top contenders but both got slapped down a bit this time and that is a good thing. They will have to step it up a bit.

Offline Maros1

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:05 AM »
I love this show! The season looks like it's going to be good. I'm bummed out that Birdsong left! Howie got lucky, I think he should have gone! Hung is the guy I love to hate! Something about him is very interesting to me, he's going to go far I hope in this show. Tre, he seems to be too arrogant. My favorite has to be Hung at this point, I'm not fully sure why but it is!

Looking forward to tonight's episode!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »
I love this show! The season looks like it's going to be good. I'm bummed out that Birdsong left! Howie got lucky, I think he should have gone! Hung is the guy I love to hate! Something about him is very interesting to me, he's going to go far I hope in this show. Tre, he seems to be too arrogant. My favorite has to be Hung at this point, I'm not fully sure why but it is!

Looking forward to tonight's episode!

Welcome to RFF Maros!  :welcome2: :welcome: :welcome2:

I think it is pretty clear that Hung is very talented. Marcel saw him at the Season 1 and 2 challenge and remarked that since he knew him personally that it would be a high quality battle this year. What I like about Top Chef is they actually compete by having to create dishes whereas my other favorite, Hell's Kitchen is hell on earth with the best manager/chef emerging who can command a kitchen.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 10:52:54 PM »
Episode 3
The Guest Judge is Alfred Portale chef/owner of Gotham Bar and Grill in Manhattan. Ted Allen is back and Gail Simmons is missing.

The Quickfire is to use a net for 30 seconds to catch as much shellfish as possible, then for 30 minutes create and cook a new dish utilizing that shellfish. Hung and Brian both state that there will have to be conch in everyone's catch and that conch is difficult to clean in a short period of time. Micah states that she loves conch. Portale states that those using conch are probably making a mistake. The Quickfire winners are Howie, Brian and CJ. Howie has a traditional ceviche which Portale acclaims as logical. CJ has a dish that was "surprising" in a positive way. However, Brian blows everyone away with his complex "3 Rivers" dish involving a range of fresh to cooked and using a wide range of flavors to complement the shellfish. He wins immunity for the Elimination Challenge and one of the others says that he can experiment and take risks the others can't when they see what he is buying. The losers group is Micah with conch salad, Camille with too much cheese, and Tre with proportions of croutons that Portale thought were "too big."

The Elimination Challenge is to take 13 dishes that are family favorites and update them into something new and different and much more healthy with lower cholesterol. They had 30 minutes and $75 to shop, then 1 hour to prep/pre-cook. The next day they have 1 hour to finish cooking and plate. The meal is for a group of relatives of a  Miami Elks Club Lodge and we see people of all ages come to dinner. The only contestant who really likes this is Dale, who predicts he will do really well because the concept is what he does every day with his cooking. Hung and Micah hate the concept.

Dale does chicken with potato dumplings.
Hung does a takeoff on fried chicken with macaroni and cheese.
Sara N. does fish and chips.
Lia does franks and beans and uses chicken sausage in beer with lentils that were undercooked. She is in trouble.
Brian has tuna casserole, which he turned into cabbage stuffed with lobster. He has forgotten that lobster is high in cholesterol.
Camille has beef and tuna tacos
CJ has tuna casserole with whole wheat casserole and flaxseed.
Sarah M. has chicken a la king, which is executed with mushroom puree in a fashion that has poor flavor. She is in trouble.
Micah has meatloaf with mashed potatoes. Hers are inedible and were hated by many who had to sample them. She is in trouble.
Casey has sloppy joes.
Joey has low cholesterol "vegetable" (with chicken and turkey) lasagna.
Tre has chicken cordon bleu.
Howie has roast pork and applesauce. He got it just right with no dryness this time and was given an excellent rating by the judges.

Dale and Howie are the two best and Howie wins. He gets 3 books by Portale plus an invite to spend a week in the Gotham Bar and Grill kitchen.

The 5 losers are Brian(he is surprised since he has immunity), CJ, Micah, Sara M. and Lia. Brian is dismissed after a brief discussion. CJ's flavors were good, so it is clear that he is not in trouble. Lia totally messed up because her final product had poor flavor and was judged very simple. Micah screwed up by not tasting her food before she served it and then serving inedible food. Sara had really low flavor chicken a la king. The judges decided to punish Micah. I would had let Lia go. Apparently the fact the Micah was a loser on both competitions was an important factor.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:14:04 PM by apskip »

Offline TPorter2

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 06:32:31 AM »
I think Lia had the Frank and Beans and did the chicken sausage and lentils instead.
Brian had the stuffed cabbage which he updated with the lobster.
Casey did the Sloppy Joe.
Did Sara do the Fishsticks and French Fries update? 

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
What do we think of Hung's actions last night, he plainly turned off the oven, is he beginning to seem a little underhanded?  ???

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »
I think Lia had the Frank and Beans and did the chicken sausage and lentils instead.
Brian had the stuffed cabbage which he updated with the lobster.
Casey did the Sloppy Joe.
Did Sara do the Fishsticks and French Fries update? 

I went back to my tape from last night's show to find out what happened in more detail. Taking accurate notes on the fly is quite difficult.
You are right that Lia had Franks and Beans, Casey did sloppy Joes, and Sara did Fish and Chips.
Also the person I was referring to as Chris is really CJ, the really tall guy.
I am going to go back and modify my original recap to incorporate your changes. Thanks.

I also discovered that Dale did Lithuanian pierogis.
Hung did pasta and vegetables to replace mac and cheese. A diner commented that the chicken did not remin her of her grandmother's fried chicken but wouldn't kill you either.
Lia had snapper and pine nuts.
Brian's dish was lobster and shrimp stuffed into cabbage and served on lobster sauce. His speech on how it's OK to have sime cholesterol went over like a lead balloon with the judges.
Sarah M.'s chicken a la king was combined with vegetables on skewers and served with couscous.
Camille's tacos were beef and chili salsa and tuna.
Joey's low cholesterol vegetable lasagna contained both chicken and turkey.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:16:13 PM by apskip »

Offline TPorter2

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
No problem, you do a great job on the recaps!   :hearts:

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
What do we think of Hung's actions last night, he plainly turned off the oven, is he beginning to seem a little underhanded?  ???

Yeah I think he did that on purpose, he may be trouble in the future.  If he thinks he's so great he should not have to sabotage others peoples meals.
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »

Yeah I think he did that on purpose, he may be trouble in the future.  If he thinks he's so great he should not have to sabotage others peoples meals.

I agree, a great cook would not have to sabotage. I'm truly disappointed in him, I thought he was the real deal.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 10:45:33 AM »
EPISODE 4

If you missed the July 4th episode, you missed nothing because there was no new episode. Tonight the Guest Judge is Jamie Walker from Bombay Sapphire Gin. The Quickfire is to create a dish that pairs up with a randomly selected cocktail. those selections are by drawing knives. There is 30 minutes allotted for creating, cooking and plating. What I find unusual here is that the editors only show about half the contestants darwing knives and about half presenting their dishes and having them evaluated. They were:

Joey - sea scallops and risotto to pair with roasted pineapple and vanilla martini
Howie - scallops and salad to pair with chili martini
Hung - salmon and sauce to pair with raspberry mint martini
CJ - caramelized watermelon and soup with ?
Dale - seasoned foie gras to pair with a lemon blanc?
Tre - Seared halibut to pair with sapphire sherry
Casey - baguette and foie gras with ?

The losers are Joey and Hung. Hung is getting predicatable. Whenever a Guest Judge criticizes anything about one of his Quickfire Creations, he immediately responds on camera that the Guest Judge just doesn't "get" his concept. Hung has obviously not read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and this tactic will catch up with him eventually in this competition.
The winners are Dale, Tre and Casey, with Casey being selected as the overall winner with immunity for the Elimination Challenge. This immediately becomes a problem when that is a competition of 4 teams of 3.

The Elimination Challenge is to use a trio of the same ingredients as one course of four at a special meal at Barton G's for 10 local Miami Chaines des Rotisseurs. Teams go through some redistribution. Howie and Joey are not pleased to end up with Casey who has elimination and they feel will be unmotivated to go for a team victory. Ingredient shopping bduget is $150 per team to feed 14 people; 30 minutes is allowed for shopping. The choices of ingredient are:

Hung, Brian, Lia - they go for Scallops initially but find them insufficient in either supply or price at the market and have to switch to Pink Shrimp

Howie, Joey, Casey - they plan on Duck but at the market they have to switch to Tuna

CJ, Tre, Sara N. - Beef with Truffles

Camille, Dale, Sara M. - Pineapple; Dale pretty much forces them to do a dessert for the last course even though this is risky with limited dessert experience for all of them.

During the cooking,Team 2 soy sauce becomes an issue twice. Howie apparently used too much, leaving Casey with not enough to properly season her dish. Tom comes by and comments to Howie that he is asking for trouble with the amount if soy in his dish.
Team 4's Sara had huge problems with a powder gel on her dish; she had to switch to what she called a semi-fredo, but that was not accepted by Tom as such.

The dishes were:
Trio of Shrimp- with Key West peach; olive oil poached with salad; with corn pudding
Trio of Tuna- tartare; served coriander crusted; cilantro salad and confit
Trio of Filet Mignon and Truffles - carpaccio with vianaigrette; butter braised tenderloin; black pepper braised tenderloin
Trio of Pineapple - upside down cake with ginger sabayon; tart; semifredo with blueberry sauce;

At Judges Table, there is an easy decision that Team 1 was the Winner. The individual winner was much more difficult, but it went to Lia. She was invited to the Hamptons to be a Guest chef for a charity event.

Losers Group was between Tuna and Dessert(Pineapple). Ted said that Team 4 and specifically Dale had jumped on a big sword by choosing pineapple. Dale defended himself by stating that dessert was a serious risk but that chefs have to take risks. Tom criticized the effort to try new techniques for the first time, such as the powder gel. He then criticized Howie and Joey for allowing Casey's very poor tasting dish to go out without tasting it; if they had they would have tried to fix it. Casey admitted that she had known with 1 hour to go that there was a taste issue but she had lost sight of it by the end and forgotten to do anything about it. She almost got to the point of giving up her immunity to prevent Howie or Joey from going home as a result of her screw-up.

When all the Losers Group feedback is evaluated by me, I think Camille and Sara of the Dessert team are in trouble. I predict Camille will be going home. The final decision is prefaced by "Pastry teams chose to do something they did not know how to do. Dale started it and it was a bad idea." However, Camille is the one to go home. Dale says he feels responsible for her elimination.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:18:57 PM by apskip »