Author Topic: AMAZING RACE ASIA COMMENTARY  (Read 70921 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: AMAZING RACE ASIA COMMENTARY
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2007, 03:19:03 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:31:18 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2007, 05:08:23 PM »
Great find!  :yess:  :jumpy: I can't get any date off the metadata, but I'd put this one in with the TARA2 spoilers because I can't remember any "my ox is broken" task from season 1. The only odd thing is the racers getting a waiver from Jubani; I thought that sort of thing was handled exclusively by the crew (speaking of which: there's a couple in the background holding a clue card that could be racers waiting their turn or just crewmembers). I'd skip the rest of the album, some adult stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
Slowhatch, I looked through the TARA1 contestants and the one f/f team was close but wasn't sure  :jumpy:, I willl move it  :yess:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2007, 05:35:54 PM »
puddin, the three female/female teams in ARA1 were Zabrina/Joe Jer, Sharon/Melody and Jacqueline/Aubrey. Your video shows none of those teams, so it must be ARA2.

Offline Izad

• " spoiler extraordinaire "
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »
That's most definitely from TARA2. Great find!  :jumpy:

And it looked like that guy signed off one of those release forms that I signed when I helped Mirna in TARAS  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »
Thank you for the info Izad :bow: :crown  :yess:

:-*

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »
EPISODE 13, THE FINALE of ARA1

Teams leave from Dubai. It does not say whether Amazing Race Asia put them up in the fabulously expensive rooms at the Burj Al Arab Hotel, but probably not.

Andrew/Syeon leave at 323am
Zabrina/Joe Jer leave at 340am
Sandy/Francesca leave at 426am

All teams go to Dubai International Airport to get flights 6100 km to Kuala Lumpur. A/S and Z/JJ are there early enough to connect through Singapore. S/F connect through Bangkok. It's supposed to result in a one hour advantage for the first two, but all three teams arrive at the same time in KL. All teams go to get the next clue at the base of the Menara Towers and it sends them to Kuching, Sarawak by air. Once landed, they take a marked car to find the clue at a Cat Statue (what the clue does not say is that there are 5 such statues). So, we have another BUNCHING moment at the KL airport, but this is the last for ARA1.

On arrival in Kuching, S/F decide to find it themselves and do so third. Z/JJ hire a taxi for the entire day to follow and this works out well for them. In finding the correct Cat Statue, they are 2nd. A/S believe that their Lonely Planet guide can get them everywhere they need to go. In downtown Kuching, they are right and it gets them 1st to find the cluebox by a Cat Statue.

Next is one of those useless tasks where they go to the Old Courthouse at 20 Gambia Road to find the next clue only. That puts teams within walking distance of one of the next tasks. Some teams drive and some walk.

Next is the DETOUR BRAWN (carry 30kg of fruit from a boat to a wet market) or BRAIN (assemble a bench using only tools, parts and a SONY Cybershot picture). All teams choose BRAIN.
First to finish is Andrew/Syeon. Next is Sandy/Francesca who were making up time from arriving last. Zabrina/JoeJer finished about 15 minutes later.
Next task is to self-drive 35 km to Sarawak Cultural Village. The main challenge is to get out of Kuching and onto the correct road to the hinterlands.
Here A/S are totally lost. They were following the do-it-yourself spirit that should be the way that all Amazing Races are conducted, but it cost them dearly becasue their Lonely Planet guide or their interpretation of it were not up to this task. They go to Sarawak Cultual Village at least 15 minutes behind and are effectively out of the race for the final 2 spots as a result.
Sandy/Francesca used a taxi to follow for part of the day and they did so here. They arrived at the same time as Zabrina/JoeJer.

The first task at the Village was to find a valid clue. Long houses were searched until you found the correct one. Then a team went to using a Blowpipe for each team member to shoot a dart into a colored pineapple hanging down from a rope. They had to alternate colors hit and shots by the team members.
S/F finished this slightly ahead of Z/JJ. However, coming out of that area they chose a path back to the parking lot that was longer while Z/JJ took the shorter path. As a result, Z/JJ got a slight lead for the trip to the next task, "Who Can Swing?" Roadblock.

Teams drove themselves(behind taxis) to a Permas Rainforest Resort 32 km. There one member did the Treetop High Ropewalk and Balance Beam Challenge. Zabrina had elected to do it against Francesca. However, since numbers were drawn and there was only one apparatus and no way of passing, teams would finish in the order they started unless one competitor fell off. Zabrina and Francesca were both quick and finished about the same 2 minutes apart that they started.

The final clue sent teams to the adjacent Damai Beach, where they take a boat across open water to Baku National Park, where you walk across a small strip of sand to a mangrove boardwalk. There was no place except on the sand for any team to pass another and I'm sure the boat captains were strictly regulated in their speed. The result was that Zabrina and JoeJer found themselves on the mat in first place, winning $100,000. About 2 minutes later Sandy and Francesca finished. Approximately 15 minutes later Andrew and Syeon finished. All teams were worthy competitors and any one of them could have won a justified winner of this race.

I felt it was a bit sappy of ARA1 producers to eliminate any competition for the final part of the race, but there was ample competition in Kuching and Sarawak Cultural Village. Overall, I felt that ARA1 was as exciting as any regular Amazing Race. The finish was as close as any except AR2 and except what AR6 would have been except for the train in Ping Tom Park. The casting was absolutely top-notch. These were real people. Andy and Laura were right up there as villains with Joe and Bill in AR1(but not AR11 where they were much nicer), Chip and Reichen in AR4, and Jonathan and Victoria in AR6. We did not get to know Ernie and Jeena and what we did get to know of Jacqueline and Aubrey I did not like, but all the rest of the ARA1 teams were sparkling in their personalities. I particularly liked Mardy and Marsio. Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri, who were executive consultants for ARA1, could learn some huge lessons from ARA1 casting in comparison to what we have seen in U.S. Amazing Race casting for the past several seasons

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:36:17 PM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »
This is one of the few TAR's in which I had the winner pegged from Ep. 1. I felt Zab and Joe Jer were as strong competitors we have seen. After the first two episodes which were a bit choppy, the show hit its stride and I thought the episodes in Australia and New Zealand were as good as the TAR US versions.

apskip, I feel your assessment of the teams were right on especially Aubrey and Jacqueline. I didn't like them at all!

I'm looking forward to TARA 2 and watching this on the uh... satellite! Yeah, satellite. :lol
Just here to visit.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »
thanks APSKIP - I've enjoyed your reviews each week  :tup:

Agreed this really was a good (after the slow start for the first episode)

TAR really could learn a thing or two about casting from these guys.

Whats interesting is that this worked with contestants with different nationalities i.e. different passports.  So why is TAR so stuck on the fact contestants must have  a US passport? 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2007, 06:15:13 AM »
Given all the different ethnic and cultural and religious groups represented in the United States, I feel that the Amazing Race producers COULD have wonderful diversity in TAR without needing to go to other parts of North America or overseas for contestants. The problem, often voiced on other forums and maybe even here on RFF, is that casting decisions have favored the photogenic and minimized the diverse.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:44:31 AM by apskip »

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2007, 07:21:22 PM »
I've always thought an international version would work well - they could call it battle of the nations or something. I would probably rate well in all the countries competing. I'm sure they could get a team from 11 English speaking countries. The only problem for America is I don't think they would be too happy if their team was one of the first eliminated.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
I watched TARA2's "Racers Revealed" tonight off the *ahem* satellite and here are my first impressions:

1. Too many mactors.
2. I like the "real" teams like the Dancing Mums or the Gym Buddies.
3. I like Sophie's ex-housemate, Aurelia. *ducking*
4. I've already developed a deep dislike for Marc & Rovilson.
5. Terri and Henry are going to be a very funny team as long as they're on.
6. Edwin of Edwin & Monica is really arrogant.

The premiere episode is in three weeks. Can't wait.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2007, 11:24:45 PM »
Ok, after finishing this episode (thanks for uploading it to YouTube!), I have some thoughts.

1. Excellent premiere episode. Not choppy like TARA1. And they got to travel this time. I liked the fact that they didn't use the Fountain of Wealth and used a tower. Actually two to be precise.
2. The all-girl teams finished strong. They definitely have learned something from Zabrina and Joe Jer.
3. Marc & Rovilson mug too much for the camera. While they'll be strong in the physical legs, I'm glad they did not win this leg. I hate them already.
4. Sophie & Aurelia are so funny! Aurelia just kept talking and eating at the Roadblock. I could not stop laughing.
5. Same for Terri & Henry. Give them their own one hour reality show.
6. Daichi & Sawaka have the potential to be the Asian Team Who.
7. Nice to see some weather issues right off the bat. We really didn't see that in TARA1.
8. My opinion of Edwin hasn't changed. Really, really arrogant. I hope he and Monica get eliminated.
9. Watch out for Adrian & Collin. If it weren't for a wrong turn by their taxi, they would have been 2nd or 3rd.
10. I look forward to Episode 2. :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:
Just here to visit.

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
I watched this on Youtube.  Unfortunately, there is no torrent yet.  Let's cross our fingers that the torrents will come!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »
Oh yes there is. I found it. It's how I was able to do my recap last night.
Just here to visit.

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2007, 07:36:33 AM »
There is a torrent out finally for the first episode.

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »
Episode 2 is available via bittorrent.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »
Excellent! I'll grab it when I get home tonight.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »
Here is some commentary on epsiode 3:

1. The one racer most on my mind in ep.3 was Sophie. I have to say that the individual watching AXN's ARA2 episode 3 without any prior knowledge would get the idea that Sophie is a brutal bitchy mindless twit. Those who know the background of her situation can empathize with the pressure of a very fast-paced and difficult race and the way in which Sophie had no alternative but to take Aurelie as a partner at the last minute or drop out of ARA2. If there is no positive team chemsitry, there is an excellent reason. With those factors in mind, I would rate her actions as severely immature. I would guess that she would love to the opportunity to handle this episode in a different manner.

2. The use of Hong Kong merely as a money counting point is a tiny improvement over the Caltex Singapore car washing episode from ARA1.

3. Auckland New Zealand is one of my favorite cities and for good reason.  This episode showcases a diversity of activities there, with the obligatory bungy jump. I was not really happy with the Spooky Mansion, but it was barely tolerable. Ep. 3 of ARA2 was almost as good as the Devonport/Auckland episode 5 of ARA1 which I think is the finest Amazing Race episode ever.

4. Collin and Adrian were like monkeys on the rock climbing wall. If a task emphasizes upper body strength, their low body weight and high strength gives them a big edge.

5. I was desolated to see Bret and Kinar bite the dust. They lost it on navigation to the first New Zealand task.

6. Isn't it depressing to see Marc and Rovilson finish first time after time? That's what the producers get for having one genuine alpha male team in the race. When will they learn?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »
My latest TIMELINE for ARA2:

July 5 - ARA2 begins in Singapore

July 6 - Manila

July 7 Hong Kong; Auckland

July 8 Auckland

July 9 drive to Rotorua

July 10 - Rotorua

July 11 - fly Rotorua to Seoul

July 12/13 - Korea

July 14 - fly Seoul to Frankfurt

July 15 Frankfurt

July 17 - Prague

July 19 - Budapest

July 21 - fly Budapest to Tokyo

July 22 - Tokyo

July 23 - fly Tokyo to Bangkok

July 24 - FINISH LINE in greater Bangkok area

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »
My latest TIMELINE for ARA2:

July 17 - Prague

I bet the crossings of "the TARs" was Ron/Christina on their way to Lithuania via Prague

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »
patlini, I expect that ARA2 would come out of Prague on July 19 to reach Budapest, although it may have happened the evening before. The logical flights leave at 0715 or 1015.

The AR12 flight into PRG would have arrived after 0715 due to the delay, so no overlap on the first ARA2 flight. Teams stranded there until the noon flight to ZAG would have had ample opportunity to meet up with ARA2 teams arriving at the airport for their 1015 flight.

The cross could definitely have happened. Someone will have to ask TK and Rachel about this at TARCON(and I will put it on the list).

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »
I now that we are not supposed to spoil the outcome of a leg before Saturday and I will wait until tonight to do so.  However, I have a few comments on the overall performance of some of the teams in the first 4 legs:

Marc and Rovilson - as expected the alpha male team is dominating

Collin and Adrian - a surprise for me; these guys are quick, have huge upper body strength, communicate as well as they told us before the race that they would, and yet have the skills to do the best in the stick dance

Henry and Terri - one of my top 3 picks, they are now headed for elimination in the near future with Terri acting like a 4 year old and not willing to do much for the team

Brett and Kinar - I was shocked to see them gone so soon and by so much; somebody screwed up on navigating

Ann and Diane - another team doing much better than I predicted, but I can't see them lasting much longer

Pamela and Vanessa - this is the multiple comeback team; they seem to put themselves in trouble but fight their way back out of it

Paula and Natasha - this has been a consistent middle of the pack team; I can't see them lasting much longer

Sophie and Aurelia - what can I say; they are starting leg 4, which we believe to be land only, 6.5 hours behind the next closest team

Edwin and Monica - I called it as them being overconfident; two last place finishes in a row finished them off

Sawaka and Daichi - I was very impressed the by the speed of their money counting; I now believe that they will take one of the Final 3 places I had reserved for others who aren't going to make it

I see the Final 3 as being something like the following:

Marc and Rovilson
Collin and Adrian
Sawaka and Daichi

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2007, 12:01:32 AM »
I put it in spoilers, but it really should be here. The Episode 5 recap is now up.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2007, 10:07:12 PM »
 :pull :pull (:;) (:;) (:;) :groan: :groan:
Just here to visit.