Author Topic: AMAZING RACE ASIA COMMENTARY  (Read 70928 times)

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: AMAZING RACE ASIA COMMENTARY
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 09:08:29 PM »
Count me in!  I refused to look at this thread until I caught up.

Thailand was beautiful.  My wife and I have been there, so it was fun to see some of the sights again.  (The reclining Buddha, the Southern Bus Terminal, etc.)

There have been a couple comments that have been really interesting.  You get to see how other people react to these places, rather than Americans.  I thought it interesting when the Malaysian guy told his wife to just sh*t on the side of the road, because "It's Thailand, nobody cares."  I find little stuff like that to be very interesting.

Sandy and Francesca have really grown on me.  I'm rooting for them now.  The only thing that creeps me out is how two people that look so much like brother and sister are "dating." 

All in all, I've been very impressed with this show.  I'm looking forward to the next season now.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »
This is one of my favorite episodes of the race (along with Andy being caught for speeding in NZ :jumpy: :jumpy:).

The frustration of Andy/Syeon, Mardy/Marsio and Howard/Sahran is apparent as they realize they caught the wrong bus to Krabi. Syeon was cranky, but I kind of sympathize after spending many hours on a bus traveling in Taiwan (not the same as going to Krabi, but I can certainly empathize).

But thanks to the Hours of Operation, it saved those three after arriving many hours after Andy/Laura, Zab/Joe Jer and Sandy/Francesca.

The scenery in this episode was tremendous and seeing the National Marine Park makes me want to go there and spend ... oh, the rest of my life there.  :lol: :lol:

This episode caused me some gallstones hearing Sandy yell "WHOO HOO HOO HOO!!!" for the millionth time in the series. But I also laughed at Mardy yelling "MARSIO! STOP EATING! Tickets first!" at one of the bus stops. You gotta know when you're out of money, buying food is not the way to go.

Great episode all around.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »
TARAsia Fan, it's good to see somebody digging in and savoring these episodes. My analysis(see above) of episode 8 indicates that there was a game of smoke and mirrors being played by the editors. In spite of all the hullaballoo about how much of a disadavantage the teams taking the combination route were at, the reality of their arrival was only 1.5 hours behind the 3 nonstop bus teams.

On the question of buses in Taiwan vs. Thailand, I took one from Taipei to Kaohsiung about 30 years ago.That is about the longest city-to-city distance possible in Taiwan, slightly more than 350 km, which would be doable in 4 hours.  There have been comparable(to the 11 to 12.5 hours in Thailand) bus trips and much longer train trips in regular Amazing Races.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:23:33 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »
2 more episodes and I'll be all caught up with y'all and can play again! :happy:

And I'm still really loving this season!

And I know I'm way late to the party and all---but  :meow: to that speeding penalty disaster! NOT fair to the other team for sure--wonder what the logic was behind that??  (Logic? There's logic?? :lol:)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2007, 08:00:39 PM »
I was sad to see Howard go, i wished him and Sahran had changed detours earlier.

And as everyone else is stating Sandy is just a beast!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2007, 09:49:05 PM »
Sandy is a physical trainer in peak condition; ARA1 got eactly what it should have expected when it cast him. He is fabulous for any pure strength or speed tasks. I find him very likable, enough so that Sandy/Francesca is my favorite team.  I would root for any ARA1 teams having the planning or execution skills of a Colin/Christie, but none have shown that although it is difficult to really know if they have them since the extreme bunching does eliminate differentiation of teams through air travel.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
EPISODE 9 starts from the Krabi Thailand area.

The departures are bunched to only 22 minutes apart:
Mardy/Marsio at 437am
Andy/Laura at 441am
Sandy/Francesca at 442am
Andrew/Syeon at 444am
Zabrina/JoeJer at 459am

Teams fly to Kolkata India, 2300 km via Bagkok. Sandy says "we should eat before we get to India because we probably are not going to be eating in India." Prophetic words; as they ways on Top Chef, "Watch What Happens". Several teams were grousing about Andy and Laura hiding secret maps in their luggage, giving them an unfair advantage.

On arrival they ask taxi driver's to take them to Mother Teresa's Church. They all except M/M went to the wrong church, not St. Teresa of Avila Church, so they have to go to a second place. The chaos of India's large city road traffic chaos is clear. Kolkata's metropolitan area is the 9th largest in the world. The M/M taxi gets a flat, but the driver is adept and fixes it quickly. Some teams light a candle in memory of Mother Teresa and some do not. The clue box is a Roadblock asking them "Who Wants to Shine?" and sends them to a railway station where shoeshine men are waiting to instruct them. Them must sell 7 shoeshines at 5 rupees each(which they get to keep) to get the next clue. The selectees and their order of finish are:

Laura
Francesca
Syeon
Zabrina
Mardy

The clue sends them on to a traditional Bengali meal for each member of the team at Hakeli Restaurant at the Parak Lee Inn Hotel. Francesca said on the way that "she was hoping to not eat anything in India that didn't come in a packet." She did not get her wish, not remotely close. Everything has to be eaten. It includes lentils, dal, sheep's eyes, trays of vegetable and meat dishes to go with rice, a large mound of rice (Mardy/Marsio even asked for more) and dessert. It is a huge meal, but not as gross as caviar in Moscow or meat in Mendoza. Everyone was able to finish it, although what was surprising is that Mardy/Marsio did not gain any ground from their last position coming out of the shoeshine Roadblock; their statement was "it was too much for us". There was a lot of barfing off-camera and some loud farts on-camera. The finishing order was S/F, Z/JJ, A/L, A/S, and M/M. However, it was made meaningless by the Hours of Operation at the next task, Kamiskar's Sari Boutique, which were 9am to 7pm. Teams came back there in the morning and had to find their next clue among the saris. Sandy and Francesca had hired the same driver from the prior day This is the classic luck-based task. A/S finished first. A/L finished second and stole the taxi driver from S/F, who were upset when they finished 3rd and found out. This was classic Andy/Laura behavior that endeared them to the other teams to the extent that all wished them a quick opportunity to spend maximum time in Sequesterville.
Z/JJ finished 4th and M/M 5th.

Next was the DETOUR CARRY or COUNT. CARRY involved using top-of-the headpiece to stabilize jugs filled with milk to carry them a distance and empty them into a huge urn. When a line was reached, then the clue was released by a monitor. COUNT was devilish. More than 1000 betel nuts were in a basket. Teams had to successfully count them. If they missed the accurate number, then they had to recount as many times as it took. CARRY was the easy choice. Andy/Laura breezed through this. All the other teams COUNTed and, except for Andrew/Syeon, who finished fast, regretted it. It took the other 3 teams many laborious tries.

A/L got a clue to the B.P Gangooli St. Kolay Market on the Bank rooftop across from the Schiava train station. When they arrived there, Alan was alone and handed them a clue to CONTINUE. S/F and Z/JJ were on their way there, but M/M had not finished. Episode 10 will be the classic TBC.

This was a typical fascinating India leg. I loved it except for the bunching.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:29:18 AM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2007, 11:11:45 PM »
We debated about this episode on TARFlies. Great ep as you got to see the heart of India. A true Bengali dinner has to be savored. There's no way to gorge or eat fast. If you read the clue, you know that this is a meal not to be taken lightly. Sandy blew through his meal. Joe Jer ate hers without too much of a problem. Then there was Syeon who is just so tiny. I felt bad for her.

The shoe shining task showed that that attractive women got to do the tasks quicker (might have to do with editing as well). If you notice, Sandy and Francesca are slowly moving up the ranks. After a horrible start, they've been doing better and better and now are becoming a massive threat to win the whole thing. If the task if physical, they'll finish in the top three for sure. For mental tasks, they aren't as strong and we see that with the Betelnut challenge.

The team I'm impressed with is Zab/Joe Jer. They keep plugging along and don't allow things to bother them. They may get a little flustered, but they'll keep at a task until they finish it. I like them. :)

And Andy/Laura just continue to make enemies. The Dreaded Yield hasn't appeared yet, but you know they have to be a target when it finally does show up.

Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:02 AM »
EPISODE 9 CONTINUED or EPISODE 10 (take your pick)

Andy/Laura are on their way to the Sealdah train station in Kolkata for a 19 hour trip to New Delhi in a 2nd class compartment(I know that well from 3 weeks of riding trains in 2nd class throughout India; there is minimal comfort but you get to know everyone around you who speaks English if you wish). Andrew/Syeon, Mardy/Marasio and Zabrina/JoeJer are on their way to the Bank roof top, the to the station. M/M remark that it is the Rajastani Express trian leaving Kolkata at 1635, which puts it into New Delhi at about 1130 the next morning. Sandy/Francesca finally finish a correct count; they are not the brightest bulbs around. There will be a YIELD once the Red Fort is reached.

M/M and A/S discuss a pact to YIELD A/L. S/F say that A/L had some merit in their their discussion to steal their taxi driver. Nevertheless, after a madcap race to the Red Fort S/F do YIELD A/L because A/L represent the greatest threat to win ARA1. They are then presented with the DETOUR of DONKEY or DELIVER. DONKEY is locating donkeys at Cycle Market Chandi Chowk back in Old Delhi, the delivering a load of onions to the onion vendor at Lahori Gate Crossing. DELIVER is locating by means of a SONY Cybershot camera only Sunny International at the Gadodia Maket back in Old Delhi and delvering bags of chili powder to a spice shop. Both of these were difficult and fraught with many perils. Finding the way involved many twists and turns, asking locals for help. The onions were bouncing out of the basket on the donkey. The bags of chili powder  were bulky and heavy. S/F and Z/JJ chose DONKEY; after their YIELD expired so did A/L. M/M and A/S chose DELIVER. Due to what must have been major mistakes by S/F, A/L managed to overcome the entire yield period and catch up to them just before the finish. Andy made the mistke of trying muscle Sandy out of the way; Sandy retaliated and maneuvered his donkey to cut him off. Poor little Syeon was struggling with this big bag of chilli powder, but the biggest negative was the chili dust on Mardy. Marsio, Andrew and Syeon. Teams finished S/F, M/M, A/S, A/L and Z/JJ.

Next is a Roadblock to the Tibetan Monastery Market, where a number of dung cakes needed to be made and put on the walls. The arrival here is in a different order than expected, as S/F have great difficulty and arrive 4th after A/L, A/S and M/M. Z/JJ are in last and in trouble. This task is laborious. It is ideal for Sandy, who slaps those dung cakes up. Marsio and Andy are doing OK. Laura is struggling and JoeJer does not seem to be making up any time. Teams finish in this order and head to the pitstop at Jain Mandir Dada Bari (crossing incredibly hot tiles in bare feet to get there):

A/S
S/F
A/L
M/M
Z/JJ

However, Andy/Laura cannot find a taxi and Zabrina/JoeJer arrive and take the one that A/L are about to get.
S/F manage to take the lead and finish first. For their victory, they were awarded one of the few prizes, a resort holiday for 2 courtesy of
Air Asia. Andy/Laura are last and eliminated. Many will be glad to see them out, but now there are no villains left. The final order was:

S/F
M/M
A/S
Z/JJ
A/L

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:21:37 AM by apskip »

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »
I really enjoyed these 2 India episodes, lots of frantic racing and confusion.  Nice to see that its not just TAR contestants that experience this.

The Bengali meal didn't seem that bad to me, but then again I love Indian food.  I would have preferred it to 2lbs of Caviar!  Did Sandy eat both his and Francesca's it seemed that way to me.  Plus their inability to count the nuts correctly really added to the "all brawn" label for Sandy (he does seem like a nice guy though).

When A/L were yielded Laura gave a shout out to Catherine Tate "am i bothered"  which I thought was funny,  and the fact that they caught up with S/F shows that they were certainly competitors to be reckoned with.

So on that note I was sad to see them go, not the worse villains the race has seen but good players.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »
I was more than happy to see Andy, but not Laura, go. He wasn't my cup of tea, but having read interviews since TARA aired, I will say he seems to be a nice guy. Perhaps Michael McKay edited him more to be a villain, but it appears during the show, Andy was doing nicely all by himself.

Again, it appears in the physical tasks, SanFran, especially Sandy will blow through them without too many problems. Zab and Joe Jer will do well in the mental challenges. Mardy/Marsio are a smarter team than I have given them credit for. I certainly thought they would have been eliminated by now. Andrew/Syeon are certainly physically fit, but her foot may hinder them if they have to run. Interesting contrasts here. Two physically fit teams and two mentally fit teams. Should make for some interesting viewing especially in the next leg.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2007, 11:11:46 AM »
EPISODE 11 starting at DELHI, INDIA Buddhist temple

Sandy/Francesca depart at 147am
Andrew/Syeon depart at 154am but Syeon has a bad injury to her foot and can't run.
Mardy/Marsio depart at 155am.
Zabrina/JoeJer depart at 215am

Teams fly 200km to Dubai, united Arab Emirates where they taxi to the Berg Dubai water taxi station and get an Abra water taxi. There is a YIELD ahead.
Andrwe/Syeon claim a money-only alliance with Zabrina/Joe/Jer and an everything-but-money alliance with Mardy/Marsio.
S/F have no confidence in their original taxi driver, so ditch her and get another one.
The view of the skyscrapers along the route to Berg Dubai is imressive.
The arrival at Berg Dubai is Z/JJ, S/F, M/M, A/S but nobody uses the YIELD.

The Roadblock is "Who Wants to Play Around?" One member of a team has one ball, a putter and one club at the golf Academy 9 hole Par 3 course to finish and get the next clue. If they lose the ball they must go back to the beginning to get a new one.

Zabrina arrives first and completes the course first, as solid round.
Francesca arrives second and complete the course second, another solid round.
Despite her foot problem, Syeon gets around the course and maintains third position.
On the way to the course, the water taxi of Mardy and Marsio borke down eliminating their lead over Andrew/Syeon, who were willing to help before the engine came back to life. Marsio was not a good choice to play golf. On the 6th hole, he lost his ball and had to go back for a new one. He finished about 3 holes after Syeon, abotu 30 minutes behind.

The next clue sends teams on a useless trip to Dubai International Marine Club to find a clue at the boat Leopard of Dubai to go to Ski Dubai at the Emirates Mall. The DETOUR there is HACK or HIKE. HACK is use a small hammer and chisel for each team member to break through a 150 pound block of ice. HIKE is for each team member to be outfitted to carry a 25kg backpack plus rope us the slope to the top of the ski lift, get the clue and then walk down. S/F and A/S chose HACK and both finished quickly. Z/JJ and M/M, who arrived well behind, had major problems getting up the slope.

The next clue sent teams to GOLD SOUK to find a specific MODERN JEWELRY shop matching a photo. There are 500 gold shops in the Gold Souk area. S/F used trial and error and eventually found the right one. A/S got lucky and seemed to find it more quickly. Z/JJ phoned ahead, but this did not really help them and they had difficulty. M/M seemed to find it fairly quickly and make up time.

The final clue sent teams to locate a marked car to take them to Margham Desert Camp. Teams reached the pitstop in exactly the same order. M/M were fortunate to find a non-elimination point, so they lost their money but stayed alive in the race.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2007, 11:31:01 AM »
I absolutely loved this episode. To see the buildings and architecture of a city that literally grew from the desert. Marsio playing the golf roadblock really cost the team as Zab, Syeon and Francesca seemed to breeze through the course.

Climbing up the ski slope with 50 pounds of equipment was not easy, especially for Zab and Joe Jer. But Mardy and Marsio were huffing and puffing up the slope as well.

I thought this would be the end of Mardy/Marsio, but the dreaded non-elimination leg came into play. We'll see if they can recover in the next leg.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »
I totally agree with you. I think Dubai is quite an interesting place. I noted the skyscrapers that line the major transit routes. The Abra water taxis were reminiscent of Old Dubai. The golf course's irrigated greenery provided an amazing contrast with the surrounding desert. Ski Dubai is the most fascinating, with the decadence of a ski slope inside and temperatures above 100 degrees most of the time outside. The Gold Souk concept is ancient, but the stores themselves are selling very expensive merchandise to the wealthy. Margham Desert Camp, although we did not see much of it, is a traditional Bedouin habitation.

Dubai is showing up in the news a lot. I saw the beginning of a program this weekend on National Geographic Channel about new islands being created offshore to form a world map with continents and the major islands. The Burj al Arab Hotel is known to be one of the most luxurious in the world. The 3 Palm Island complexes are in various stages: one complete; one to finish next year; one under development and not started construction yet.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »
I'm sure going from the searing sun to the indoor ski slope must have messed with them.

And yet another fine physical performance from Sandy

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:42 AM »
Let's give credit to Zabrina.  That pack she had to carry up the ski slope weighed almost as much as she did!

I just noticed that she is a TV Producer in Malaysia.  She obviously isn't Malaysian.  My guess is Philippino, since her last name is Fernandez.  Does anyone know where she is from and how long she has been in Malaysia?  I wonder if she was born there. 

Here's a nice little bio she put up:
http://www.graduates.com/vg.asp?i=2424614
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 08:12:50 AM by Kilarney »

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2007, 08:16:29 AM »
By the way... am I the only one that thinks that Sahran & Howard are probably more than just "friends"?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
She obviously isn't Malaysian
Both are Malaysian citizens. As far as ethnicity, some people on the boards are saying Pinay, some are speculating mixed Portuguese/Indian descent. I like the fact that her Moslem faith (wedding photo here) was never an issue, while Bilal/Saeed on the other hand were edited like they were some sort of museum exhibit.
By the way... am I the only one that thinks that Sahran & Howard are probably more than just "friends"?
Sahran is a spokesman for some LGBT group in Sri Lanka. Although not necessarily a couple, I'm guessing AXN packaged them as friends so people in local viewing markets might not be offended.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »

Kilarney - that's what I thought initially too and I kept watching them for giveaway signs.  But i'm thinking they more like Oswald and Danny.

Offline Kilarney

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2007, 02:41:54 PM »
Two more questions (spoiler free):
1) Does anyone know what Laura & Andy do for work?  The official webpage merely states that they are "entrepreneurs."  They live on Koh Samui, an island in Thailand.  My wife and I have been there, and it's a beautiful place.  It's definitely on the beaten path, but it's not nearly as crazy as Phukett.  I'm just wondering how they figured out to live there!  I'm jealous!  The only catch is that a LOT of expats had was that it's very difficult to get the Thai government to allow you to live there full time.  Most people had to make "visa runs" every 90 days, IIRC.  That meant that you had to leave the country for a short period of time.  Living on Koh Samui, that sounds like a pain.  It involves an airplane flight or a ferry ride at the least. 

2) What's Joe Jer up to?  Is she still friends with Zabrina?  I noticed that she was not interviewed in the recap episode, whereas almost every other team members who ran the race were. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:46:59 PM by Kilarney »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »
There's not much new info on Joe Jer; as far as I know she's still producing for Channel V. Zabrina spent the month following the TARA2 tent around the world.
Andy/Laura lived on Koh Samui but moved to Bangkok about a year ago (see here and the last paragraph here).
The UK-born couple, who run several businesses in Bangkok, including IT consultancy and aerial photography, have been together for seven years.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2007, 10:33:40 PM »
What's Joe Jer up to?  Is she still friends with Zabrina?  I noticed that she was not interviewed in the recap episode, whereas almost every other team members who ran the race were. 
Joe Jer was traveling at the time of the taping of the recap thus, she was only seen from an interview during a pit stop. In fact, the racers were allowed to blog during the series and Joe Jer explained that she was in Colombia. You can find that blog here.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »
EPISODE 12 starts from Margham Desert Camp outside Dubai

Sandy/Francesca leave at 745am
Andrew/Syeon leave at 751am(even though there is a typo on the AXN screen saying it is 806am; that could not be be true based on what happens later)
Zabrina/Joe/Jer leave at 806am
Mardy/Marsio leave at 820am(they claim it is 45 minutes behind, but is is only 14 minutes after the #3 team)

The clue sends all teams by SUV to desert area 53. Andrew says that Sandy/Francesca are "better than us."
Teams arrive to find a DETOUR of RIDE or SEEK. RIDE involves both team members getting onto the same camel and navigating it through a course to grab 5 poles out of the sand. If you are fortunate to have a cooperative camel, this one can be done quickly. SEEK involves using a metal detector to sweep a large area of sand and find a metal souvenir camel under the sand.

S/F get a balky camel, so they switch from RIDE to SEEK. They find that SEEK is difficult and go back to RIDE, where a much more cooperative camel makes it easy for them.
A/S have a good camel and get the lead.
Z/JJ also have a good camel.
Everyone else is gone by the time M/M get there, but they do well on a good camel.
The next clue takes teams to a luck-based task on Eye of the Emirates ferris wheel with cabins. 42 cabins each have a number and can be selected. 5 of the 42 cabins have the next clue in them. If you miss you go around to select the next number of the cabin you want to try. Careful notation of the cabins you have been in is important.

A/S lost time when their driver got lost and they hit the roof when an unexpected bump occurred an they did not have their seat belts on. They get lucky and hit it on #19 with their first try.
Z/JJ don't have very good luck but they eventually get it right with #26.
M/M arrive after S/F have missed on many tries, which gives S/F a big advantage of knowing which ones not to go in. S/F hit just before M/M do with #38.

The clue takes teams on to a Roadblock "Who's got the Brains on the Team?" It's a trick question. Syeon is elected and finds out that it is eating a plate of brains at a local restaurant. She has a lot of trouble getting through it.
Joe Jer is a real eating machine. She plows right through the brains and is just behind Syeon.
Francesca had correctly guessed that this would be a challenge eating brains, so she had Sandy elect it. He demolishes the plate.
Mardy indicates that they do not eat organ meats. The brothers are reupted to be great eaters, but they started last and fall further behind on this task.

There is an unnecessary task to find a clue at Sheikh Said al-Maktoon's house. That clue directs them to the Wild Wadi Water Park, where they will ride the Jumeirah Sceirah giant water slide. all teams stay in the same order:

A/S
Z/JJ
S/F
M/M

The final clue send teams on to the Mirna A Sclomo Beach near the Berj Al Arab Hotel. The final order is the same even though the ARA1 editors play tricks to make you think that M/M have caught up their greater than half hour deficit. It wasn't going to happen and Maardy and Marsio are eliminated.

Andrew and Syeon win an earned vacation for 2 at the Gold Coast of Queensland courtesy of Caltex.
The final three are a good mix of brains and brawn. It should be interesting.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:37:14 AM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2007, 08:40:49 PM »
What really hurt SanFran here was not keeping track of the numbers on the ride. And Zab and Joe Jer knowing full well SanFran had gotten into the same car twice. Luckily, Sandy was able to blow through the eating challenge. That's where they managed to get in the Final Three while the M&M boys kept arguing at the restaurant.

Good episode. Finale should be quite interesting.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2007, 09:29:45 PM »
Sandy eating tremendously quickly was crucial. It allowed Sandy/Francesca to leave the restaurant before Mardy/Marsio even arrived there. The fact that Mardy took a very long time there was not critical because at that point they were beaten anyway. None of the remaining tasks took long enough for any team to make up much time on an other team.