Author Topic: Pirate Master Media Mentions!  (Read 20796 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Pirate Master Media Mentions!
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »
Cameron Daddo (yum!) was on The Early Show  yesterday.

He did say that each week they divide the crew into two random teams to compete for the treasure.

Does that mean that the winning team gets to choose a new Captain every week? Or are we stuck with JD till the bound-to-happen Mutiny? Stay tuned to see....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Pirate Master Media Mentions!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:58:38 AM »
Spoilers for cinni! :kissy:

TV Guide article
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:47:42 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:58:19 AM »
Oh my gosh! We can ALL become animated 3-D talking pirate heads!    :pirate9

Someone test it out and let us know, okay?

Think of the avatar possibilities!

Oooh, Michael! Can you make  us a BQ pirate ? ;D

Hmmmm....wonder what Oswald would look like??  Or PHIL?!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »
Well you can make them but I don't see how to share them?!

OH my...

Phil's animated head saying "Welcome to Singapore" is perfectly nice....

But of course I have it set to say "Will you marry me?"! over and over and over again.... :luvu:

Don't know how to share the talking head though--can't find an address anywhere  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
Intouch Interview with Pirate John

NICE TRY TO SAVE YOURSELF AT PIRATES' COURT. WHY DIDN'T IT WORK?
John: I'm a goofy dancing fool. I tried to leverage a lot of my success in terms of convincing people to mutiny, and it wasn't shown. At pirates court, a lot was explained to us that we didn't already know, and it changed the game dramatically, but I had already stolen the compasses. That wasn't enough. I kept them after I got on the raft, so those compasses did leave the game. I got on that raft and I was a little bit bitter, but then I had to laugh at myself, it was funny, to see their jaws drop, it was an absurd situation. You know I always knew I was gonna either go first or win the whole thing. I wasn't surprised.

Possibly that the winning team each week chooses a new Captain?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 03:26:51 AM »
Buddy TV  Interview with John

But the main thing that I was expecting was a lot of hard work and just general difficulty with getting the ship going. And I expected just tremendous challenges physically in the expedition and all kinds of things like that. So, you know, my preparation was more like sort of physical, you know. Taking my fitness from a 9.5 to a 9.9 and you know in terms of just being to run fast.  So, it didn’t really make a tremendous amount of difference in that regard and so the things that I was expecting were like, okay, the ship needs to get somewhere so we have navigational skills, survival skills on the ocean. You know, all kinds of general competencies that would be required on a pirate ship, you know, sailing and all kinds of things. It turned out we kind of had a ghost crew in production that was actually getting us there and you’re really…the basic idea was that the show must go on, so we didn’t need that kind of an element. We didn’t have that much of a particular challenge in terms of like, if the food was going to be there, it was going to get delivered. There was nothing we could do about that, necessarily. You know, there was very little we could do to ameliorate our situation in terms of how much we ate and whether we found the treasure or not because, you know, like I said, the show must go on, the treasure will be found. And the boat will get to the point where the treasure is and it will run smoothly and that was kind of the way it works.

The thing that really struck me about myself in terms of what they were showing from a personal perspective was the overbearing arrogance and I…you know, when I went out on the thing, I knew that was going to happen because I had as much fun as I could with it. You know, how many chances do you get to go out and be a wild, completely zany, off-the-wall pirate that is not only, you know…he’s not only a little bit eccentric but also arrogant and every little bit of psychology that you don’t really get to express in your everyday life in a cubicle job and you know, locked up in a science laboratory with people that don’t want to see anything more than just nose to the grind stone. That’s when I came out and showed and it was just fun, I had fun with it and I hope that people understand that instead of saying, “This guy is an arrogant asshole.” And I hope…I don’t know if you could air that but…

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »
Interesting interview Georgia Peach, it humanizes him. It does destroy the myth though of a pirate crew on their own battling the elements, fishing for their food, or starving like Survivor. Meals delivered and a ghost crew to make them comfy!  :lol3: 
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »
Another interview with John

RC: Do you think that Joe Don’s days are numbered as captain?

John: At that point on the show, I saw a mentality developing where people had accepted their role as subservient to this guy. As a viewer, I think it’s difficult to understand that it’s more than just people thinking logically about the game. When you’re really in the situation & you live it, this guy isn’t just some reality contestant who gets nominated as captain. He IS the captain. I don’t think things are going to change anytime soon.

Offline TannerB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 11:42:10 PM »
In my opinion JD I think JD won't be Captain long in truth I dont' think anybody who is captain will be it for long. Not will all the strong personalities who want to lead. Eventually someone will over throw him.
My own Pirate Masters is coming this summer only on Youtube.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 08:52:33 AM »
Personally I thought when John took the compasses, he showed that he was unscrupulous. (Well that isn't a bad trait for a pirate master I suppose.) However it blew the other's minds and I think that is why the kicked off the ship. I don't know about the dominate/subservient mind set.  :pirates1 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:09:30 AM »
Personally I thought when John took the compasses, he showed that he was unscrupulous. (Well that isn't a bad trait for a pirate master I suppose.) However it blew the other's minds and I think that is why the kicked off the ship. I don't know about the dominate/subservient mind set.  :pirates1 

The whole dominant thing comes mostly from the Stanford Prison Experiment : a psychology experiment from the 70's which put students in the role of either prisoners or guards--and within 2 days the students nearly completely bought into their assigned roles, either becoming a subservient prisoner or, in some cases, a power wielding  abusive guard. There is a lot of speculation that JD has bought waaay too much into the "power" trip role of the Captain, a la the Stanford Prison Experiment.

But the whole fun of this IS going to see the pirates really "play" into this, as John alluded to in that interview. Now I'm kind of sorry that he went so early because he probably would have been great fun to watch and see what he stirred up. This is different from TAR or from Survivor in that they DO have to act with their role as well as use their inter-personal skills to get along--so thus may get even more interesting as the weeks go by!

I like the image of whoever said this is much more like Big Brother house done in Pirate costumes/roles than like TAR or Survivor.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Now that you mention it, I did read about Stanford prison experiment  and it was frightening to me because of the way it impacted the participants. Taken in this light, it will be interesting to see if they keep JD. (Will the producers like that?) :kogsey

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 12:50:51 PM »
If you want to skip some of his jibber-jabber about everything besides the show, go here to read his thoughts on Pirate Master only:

http://www.daddo.com/blog/category/pirate-master/

It even has a picture of John he made with watercolors.  Very nice artwork, for a watercolor painting.

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
Spoilers for cinni! :kissy:

TV Guide article
:hearts:  puddin! i have azmyth in the office pool. at least i didn't get john like the organizer.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 03:05:25 PM »
Quote from: TheCinera
It even has a picture of John he made with watercolors.  Very nice artwork, for a watercolor painting.

Especially since he drew it with his "other" hand! :o

Each week I sketched (with my opposite hand) the pirate cut adrift among other things…

(why the opposite hand?…I am too bloody judgmental with my left, so I
thought I’d do it with the other…it’s actually quite interesting to do.)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 03:27:01 PM »
I had a friend who trained herself to do this same thing, draw with her left hand. She was is an amazing artist as this is. Love the ship!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:17:24 PM by TexasLady »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
Schedule Change

'BIG BROTHER' TO RETURN TO USUAL NIGHTS, 'PIRATE MASTER' TO WALK TUESDAY PLANK
By The Futon Critic Staff (TFC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- CBS has confirmed its rollout schedule for "Big Brother" while newcomer "Pirate Master" is being sent to Tuesday nights.

"Brother" will launch its eighth season on Thursday, July 5 at 8:00/7:00c with its Sunday and Tuesday editions due on July 8 at 8:00/7:00c and July 10 at 9:00/8:00c, respectively.

Said installments mirror its broadcast schedule from last summer, save for Tuesday nights where it aired at 8:00/7:00c instead of 9:00/8:00c.

As for "Pirate Master," the show's sixth episode will follow "Big Brother" at 9:00/8:00c on July 5 before it settles into its new Tuesday, 10:00/9:00c home on July 10.

Goes along with the reported  drop in ratings, I guess. But first BB, then Pirates? That's a lot of cheese! :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 04:52:31 PM »
BB fans will be happy  :happy:  :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 10:16:36 PM »
Daddio video link on E

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
Alexis bye-bye interview.

Casting kind of found me, I didn’t try out for the show.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 11:38:58 PM »
Another Christian Interview

RNO: How much training did you all receive in the running of a ship?

Christian: We received extensive training. We had a [trainer] who showed us how to do the rigging and all that.

Christian: I didn’t have any game strategy. As you know, right at the beginning, I got voted off pretty quickly. Towards the end, the game got a little tighter and more real. In the beginning , there wasn’t much of any game to play
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 10:14:02 PM »
“Yeah, I Had a Bad Attitude” – An Interview with Pirate Master’s Alexis
by David Bloomberg -- 06/18/2007

Watching the latest episode of Pirate Master, it seems Alexis thought people didn’t like her because of her personality, but statements of her fellow contestants on the show indicated they wanted her gone because of her expedition weakness and work ethic. Which was it? Or was it a combination? How did Alexis play the game? And what does she claim was her reason for wandering away from the boat during the expedition? Read on for answers to all these questions and more!

As you’ll see in this interview, Alexis readily admits that she spoke her mind – a frequent no-no on reality TV shows. But she also says she has a good reason for why we saw her apparently wandering away from her boat during the expedition. Whether it makes sense in light of what her fellow contestants said is up to you to decide. Read on!

RNO: Going into the show, what did you expect?

Alexis: I didn’t really have any expectations. I was never a big reality – I hadn’t really watched Survivor or any of that. I tried to watch some of those before leaving. You really don’t know what you’re getting into and are given very little information. So I went in with whatever happens, happens.

RNO: So you didn’t have any sort of strategy going in?

Alexis: I really didn’t.

RNO: Once you were there, did you develop a game strategy?

Alexis: Not necessarily. I kind of just went in and saw how other people were playing it. It wasn’t in evidence immediately [that others had strategies], but a lot of people were really politically correct in the beginning. They were trying to protect themselves.

I was brutally honest and blatant. I got better feedback for that than I could have predicted. They didn’t show it, but in a lot of Pirates’ Court, it was a lot more intense and I was usually running my mouth. A lot of people were playing it safe in the beginning because they didn’t want to be the sh*t talker. At the end of the day, my relationships with the people in the boat were more legitimate because of that.

RNO: Watching the show, and from what you just said, it seemed like you believed you were being targeted for your personality. Did it surprise you that you were being targeted at least as much for your work ethic or physical ability?

Alexis: Yes and no. When there were volunteers to clean the head, I’d be getting some sun. I wasn’t an eager beaver. I had kind of attacked Kendra the week before. How [the show is] cut, there’s a lot missing – that’s TV. But more of what I was speaking of was they had the opportunity to have at it with me, and I was surprised they didn’t speak up.

I sucked wind in the last expedition. On the expeditions, we were told you’re only as strong as your slowest player, and that’s the truth. But people pulled the dead weight. We all had our strengths, mine was certainly in the water and not on land.

RNO: How do you think you fit in with the rest of the contestants?

Alexis: I thought I was cast to be the bitch, which is probably how I come across. But I actually got along with everyone well. I was a straight-talker. Cheryl ended up becoming the bitch more than I was. I got along with everyone and made better friends. There were people who were more impressionable and played it a little more like, “What do I do?” I was just like, “It is what it is, get over it.”

RNO: If Cheryl became the bitch, why do you think you were sent packing?

Alexis: I think I was sent packing a because of my attitude. Yeah, I had a bad attitude.It’s hard. That’s just me, not just me on the ship. I just think people were cheerleaders, “Rah, rah, rah, let’s clean the head,” where I was like, “I’m dying, I’m going to take a nap.” And I had called some people out. I called out Kendra and we didn’t speak for a week on the boat.

RNO: Were you surprised that Joe Don wasn’t marked with a black spot?

Alexis: Yes and no. I wasn’t surprised because they put Cheryl up. What you don’t see really is that Joe Don was up there being all high and mighty, but a lot of the things he was saying, we don’t know. We didn’t hear any of those remarks [until they aired on TV]. Cheryl was the middle man between the crew and captain, she was much colder and entitled and pretty arrogant. I wasn’t surprised Cheryl went up. Like Louie said, if I can’t get the snake’s head, I’m going to get the snake’s tail. That was so the case.

RNO: How would you compare the captaincies of Joe Don and Azmyth?

Alexis: I think Joe Don went in and tried to fill a mold he thought a captain would fill and maintain the separation. Like Jay said too, Azmyth is such an airy fairy, earth daddy, one with the planet, one love, anarchy [kind of guy]. He definitely played it in a way that made the crew happy because he was human about it and shared the food and his winnings and let people come in his cabin. He was definitely the people’s captain, vs. Joe Don, who was just a jerk.

RNO: Why did you seem to wander away from the boat at the sandbar?

Alexis: This is so funny. Again: TV. When we got to the sandbar, we had to lift the boat up over it. What you can’t tell is how hard the river is rushing into the ocean. Cheryl and I were literally getting our asses kicked trying to get through. It came to the point where I was going to have cardiac arrest or I [could go to] the right to not run against the current. So I ran over to that bank so I could catch up and get ahead of the boat, so I could get back on it and not affect the team.

Cheryl and I had already fallen off not carrying the boat. I ran up the side because there wasn’t going to be any resistance from the water. It looked like I was on a walk picking flowers, but that wasn’t the case.

Once I was able to get on the bank, I could get back in the boat and not lose any time. I certainly didn’t hold them up. But you know, you gotta make good TV and make it look like I was lollygagging and having a field day. I explained that to Joe Don in Pirates’ Court, but [they didn’t air that either].

RNO: Do you have anything else you want to tell us about your time on Pirate Master?

Alexis: Overall, for me, the show was the smallest part. You really look at the group of kids who was brought together – Chippendale dancers and smoke jumpers and reality star wannabes. Such an odd mix, to be on such a remote beautiful island, the entire thing was priceless. It was like going to summer camp and being put in a cabin with a bunch of kids you want to throw apples at. But overall it was great.

RNO: Thanks, Alexis!

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=4&article=article7043.art&page=1

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:17:47 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:54 PM »
I know no one cares but since I found them here are some clips from the tvguide channel  :lol: