Author Topic: On the Lot  (Read 14340 times)

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
On the Lot
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »
Is anyone watching this show on FOX? I know another show but this one is pretty cool. I watched the episode where they made short films and it was really cool to see the finished product and see what goes into all the work to make it.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: On the Lot
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:39:32 PM »
I'm watching! 2 hours tonight. It was sort of slow at the beginning but it is really getting interesting now.  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
I'm watching! 2 hours tonight. It was sort of slow at the beginning but it is really getting interesting now.  :tup:

Nice, I loved the short film "Random Acts of Kindness" that was freakin' hilarious and the people who did the film "Timeout" with the special effects.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »

Nice, I loved the short film "Random Acts of Kindness" that was freakin' hilarious and the people who did the film "Timeout" with the special effects.

Considering the time they had to make them, they were outstanding.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:12:03 AM »
i saw two of the shorts from last night...i haven't gotten into the show really..

lucky penny and how to screw in a light bulb...

lucky penny was so typical!! http://www.thelot.com/  to view the shorts and vote (voting is closed right now)
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:37:44 AM »
It got a little long last night with so many videos to watch but you can definitely tell who shines and who doesn't.

BbK, last Thursday they told the contestants they had an hour to go shoot a short film and that we would see it on Monday evening. I could swear we didn't see that episode because I think there were more than 18 at that time. I remember it because they hadn't had much or any sleep and had to go shoot their short... Did we miss an episode? ??? (Or did I miss one!)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 05:20:51 PM by TexasLady »

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:25:22 PM »
It got a little long last night with so many videos to watch but you can definitely tell who shines and who doesn't.

BbK, last Thursday they told the contestants they had an hour to go shoot a short film and that we would see it on Monday evening. I could swear we didn't see that episode because I think there were more than 18 at that time. I remember it because they hadn't had much or any sleep and had to go shoot their short... Did we miss an episode? ??? (Or did I miss one!)

I saw there first two episodes on Fox Reality. I missed the new one last night because for some reason we get satellite but not FOX, weird. Hoping to download and watch the third episode soon.

Offline Jill_

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:38 AM »
I didn't really like the first episode, but I kept recording it and now I'm glad I did.  I'm really enjoying it.  I don't watch it live.  Too many commercials and time spent on the numbers to call, etc., so I just FF past that stuff.  Some of the contestants are really good!  I liked the lucky penny the best and didn't care too much for the ones that had to do with bodily functions :groan:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 06:49:09 AM »
I didn't like those either Jill, but I loved the Lucky Penny movie and we also liked the one Getta Rhoom, we didn't think the character was a special needs person when it was played, we laughed when he got zapped at the end and sent to the hot place.

BbK, I'lm going to check on the episodes, see if I did miss one or if they just killed it.  :yess:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:05:20 AM »
so which 3 got booted and which 3 got the boxoffice request

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:51 AM »
HA!! My sanity is still pretty much intact! They did skip an episode!  :umn:

Ok.. the top 3 were:  Zach Lipovsky, Danger Zone; Jason Epperson, Getta Rhoom; Will Bigham Lucky Penny.

Booted: Claudia La Bianca, Blind Date; Carolina Zorrilia De San Martin, Deliver Me; Phil Hawkins, Please Hold.

I thought there were a couple of others that were worse but we still have the rest of the season for them.  :trashy:

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »
I thought I was going crazy to I was confused.  I wonder why they skipped an episode.  :meow:
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
I thought I was going crazy to I was confused.  I wonder why they skipped an episode.  :meow:

I'm thinking it was because of time constraints, plus the beginning events were pretty much boring. If you want to see what we missed you can try these steps I found in their community forum.

Highlights of the missing episode are hiding on the site.

Click on the link below:

http://www.thelot.com/episodes/

then on the new page, left column, click on:

101b: Auditions Round 2

Then click on:

Cutting Room Floor: Outtakes #4

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:05:26 PM by TexasLady »

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »
did u guys actually like lucky penny?? it was filmed really well i'll give him that...but I found the whole story/tag too ironic and overplayed...i predicted the entire scene.

Zach the fx guy is from Vancouver...GO CANADA GO!! lol

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 08:16:37 AM »
did u guys actually like lucky penny?? it was filmed really well i'll give him that...but I found the whole story/tag too ironic and overplayed...i predicted the entire scene.

Zach the fx guy is from Vancouver...GO CANADA GO!! lol

LOL.. Does this mean I need to start voting for Zach for ya? I've liked all that I've seen from him, he is excellent... I liked Lucky Penny, it could have been a little tighter on the time line for the piano falling, but I loved the ending.  :rfth:

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:19 PM »
I think I can vote this time around? but not so sure.....

sure vote for Zach!! lol  u know u wannnnnnna!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 02:23:18 PM »
I think I can vote this time around? but not so sure.....

sure vote for Zach!! lol  u know u wannnnnnna!

Whoohoo if you can vote this time. :) I voted for 5 people this time.. 3 of them were the top 3.

LOL on Zach.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »
I just read over on TVGuide.com that the Monday slot did poorly so the show isn't on Monday anymore and they are combining the competition and results into one show.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »
I just read over on TVGuide.com that the Monday slot did poorly so the show isn't on Monday anymore and they are combining the competition and results into one show.

I'm not surprised.  :js: Thanks for letting us know, one shot and we are finished with it, making time for Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef and BB8!  :carryon:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »
Here is another story, we'll know tonight which version is correct.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20040769_20040772_20041425,00.html

It seemed like a spectacular idea: Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg and reality show mastermind Mark Burnett create a competition for aspiring movie directors. But the only spectacular thing about Fox's On the Lot so far has been its failure in the ratings: the first night of week 1 attracted 7.6 million viewers, a whopping 70 percent drop from American Idol's 25.3 million lead-in. By week 2, the series earned just an average of 3.5 million viewers — and on May 31, Fox announced it would drop the live elimination episodes and condense the twice-weekly competition into one taped Tuesday-night hour. ''We're just trekking through,'' says host Adrianna Costa, who replaced Chelsea Handler on the May 28 installment. (Handler left to shoot her new E! talk show, Chelsea Lately.) Costa adds that the show — in which amateurs compete for a $1 million DreamWorks development deal — has ''a concept you have to get used to.''

But will viewers think it's worth the trouble? Lot's clunky on-air adjustments aren't helping. In addition to the host switcheroo, six of the 24 filmmakers had disappeared from the May 28 episode without explanation. (Fox calls it a ''creative decision''; Spielberg and Burnett declined to comment.) Despite all this, Fox says Lot will air through mid-August and will average one elimination per week. For now, Costa — like the network — is pinning her hopes on the show's pedigreed producers: ''With names like Spielberg and Mark Burnett on it, you can't go wrong.''

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
UGH.. is this show not boring? Boot for Hilary I think. Best movie last night probably will go to Shalini. Apparently this batch of movies were their submission films, which surely is misleading to the audience when you think they are current attempts.

"The show's fallen far, fast. Last night we looked on as it tried to pass off five contestants' submission films as new, original content. (The show kept stressing that the shorts were written, shot, and edited in five days, as if to suggest that they were written, shot, and edited in the last five days, although behind the scenes, Fox has identified the movies as ''personal submission films'' in a PR release.) No doubt this saves production costs at the same time that it gives Fox time to figure out what it's gonna do about the show's Dumpster-diving ratings. Meanwhile, submission films? Three-minute movies that are good enough to get you on the show might be good enough to get you on the show, but that doesn't make them ready for prime time. At least last week's mini-comedies were born out of the creative pressure of a time limit. They had, you know, urgency. Last night's movies had the opposite; they took us backward.

Through the night, 5 of the 15 remaining contestants got up there and screened their submission films, and the judges pronounced this or that. (After the viewers vote, one person will leave at the beginning of next week's show.) As swiftly as possible, let's trot through all five. The bad news is that none of the shorts were great; the other bad news is that none were totally horrible either."

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20040769_20040772_20041498,00.html

Because it is sort of (if not just IS) a bomb for Fox at least we get 2 episodes of Hell's Kitchen next Monday.  :yess:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
I am never one to criticize anybody's attire, but the host's top was so atrocious that I am breaking my rule one time. What was she (and the FOX wardrobe people) thinking?

The production of this show is just what I expect from FOX, i.e. crappy host, false drama, wasting a lot of your time, ridiculous judges.

The solution that I am adopting for the remainder of this show, and recommending to you, is to watch only the films on the www.thelot.com website as soon as the actual show on Tuesday night is over. You can even vote if you do so within 2 hours of the end of the show in your time zone. This way you can see just the films without all of the B.S. and judges commentary, which I find useless at best and totally wrong at worst (Gary Mashall telling Adam to have the baker and job applicant embrace at the end of that film).

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »
Not impressed with the show anymore, I agree that the judges are terrible. I think I'm done watching this show!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 07:04:09 AM »
Not impressed with the show anymore, I agree that the judges are terrible. I think I'm done watching this show!

Whatshername host is so memorable I can't even remember her name, or what she wore.  :loser:

They need a Simon Cowell to say, 'That was RUBBISH!' or something along those lines when it is.  I think they should have just had one monster finale and put the show out of its misery. I think I'm pretty much done with it myself.

Offline reedthis

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »
I'm with you guys it painful to watch now.  What happened to their original host Chelsea Handler? She just disappeared.
 :umn:
What We Do In Life Echoes Into Eternity!!!