Author Topic: Artical - 10 ways to fix Amazing Race  (Read 6319 times)

Offline reality.tv.

• RFF Full Member
  • Now all we need is The Amazing Race Canada!
Artical - 10 ways to fix Amazing Race
« on: May 11, 2007, 03:54:12 PM »
When I asked you Monday what you thought about this season's lacklustre finale, I had no idea that the response would be so huge! An overwhelming 93 per cent of you agreed with my analysis, but in addition, you sent me your suggestions on how the show could improve.

I told you that my colleague, Greg David, would be interviewing host Phil Keoghan this Friday. Well, as a sign of appreciation from all of us here at tvguide.ca, we're giving him your suggestions. Enjoy!

1) Stick with new contestants we can relate to
“TAR jumped the shark with the All-Stars. Viewers (and racers) brought too many prejudices into the start of the season and the show fizzled before it really got going. The only consolation was that I can't stand Myrna and Shmyrna. For me this was kinda like watching Sanjaya.”  –  Mike Hamilton

"I already know what these people are like – and I couldn't wait for them to be cut when they first ran the race. Why the heck would I want to see them again, and en masse no less? They should stop already with the All-Stars and the Families and stick to what they did best." – Lorna Skinner

"Rob and Amber had their place and time in the limelight. That series ended, didn’t it? I do not like seeing the same people over and over again in any way shape or form, nor have I ever enjoyed seeing characters from other reality shows appear on TAR." –  Roman VonLukawiecki

"I think they need to review the original format – somewhat genuine, ordinary people. This celebrity championship slop is for the pigs. I'm tired of seeing beauty queens & GQ type images on this race." – Greg H.

2) Add some finesse to the challenges
"You can stack a show with interesting people, but sitting in cabs and waiting for doors to open doesn't promote conflict. The whole point of this show was to force people to do stupid things as quickly as possible while tired. That's fun to watch when they have to move a camel (because the camel doesn't care about any race) but not fun when they have to count sandwiches, and then hop on a train." – Mike Kiss

"I would like to see the racers make difficult decisions, like getting a choice on how to travel from one destination to another. They can either drive or take the train, but there are risks and benefits to each choice. If they pick driving, one of the unmarked cars will have a slow leak in the tire. Or, if they choose the train, they won't know that the train will stop for five hours possibly causing them major a setback." – Darlene McDonough

"Quit saying this is the most extreme Race ever, and then have all the same challenges." – Aimee Perez

"Where are the clues in the haystacks they must search for? Where is the search for one letter among 10,000? Challenges like those were missing – teams didn't seem to get frustrated enough, they just cruised through the challenges and off to the next one they went." – Johanne Ramsay

3) Bring back the two-hour finale
"I'm sorry, but an hour-long finish is really anti-climactic and just plain boring. When they used to have four racing for the first hour, I was glued to the set to see who would be the final three... and even if it wasn't the team I really wanted to win, I'd already invested an hour and wasn't about to stop watching." – Christine

"I would prefer the two hourr special the finale... perhaps in this case because Oswald and Danny were much more interesting to watch than the other teams left." –  Laurie Yates

4) Have a longer time off between seasons of TAR
"When it first started and there was a longer gap between shows, I looked forward to it; it was actually exciting. But now it seems they must have a Race on the go all the time, and frankly I can really miss episodes and not care. Or tune in to the last 15 minutes of it." – Kevin Munro

"When The Amazing Race first came out it was exciting, then you had to wait six or seven months to watch it again. It built anticipation." – Brad Frail

"Both Amazing Race and Survivor have gone from season to season without a break. Not seeing another season of either until October or even after Christmas would be refreshing." – Neal Schulz

5) After the fact interviews and updates
"Why don't they do a 'where are they now' special and/or web page? All of us here at my workplace who watch the Race have done so since the beginning, and we are constantly googling what happened to this person/team..." – Amanda Miloff

"I must say it would be nice for them to have interviews with the racers after the fact – clips of unseen footage, what goes on behind the scene, etc." – Nickyl

6) International competitors
"Have a season of international competitors: a couple from Canada, U.S.A., Europe, etc.  Maybe someone should put the bug in the producers’ heads!"  – Leanne McDonald

"I think the race should always have new people. Change legs as they will, but each race session should have new participants. Maybe get participants from different countries and have a leg of the race in each one of those countries." – Laurie John Hayton

"It’s time they changed it up a bit and made an international competition or perhaps a Canadian vs. U.S. contestants show. OK, so I’m trying to get on the show myself to kick some Yankee, whiney butt, but really! Something has to give." – Suzanne

7) Less conspiracy and control!
"I find it a bit fishy that Rob and Amber got the boot in week four. I mean, c'mon, they were such fierce competitors before. How could they possibly fail this time? Can anybody say payoff?" –  Fiona Taylor-Jurik

"My beef with this show is this: no matter what, they always catch up! It's really boring knowing that your favourite team is three hours ahead but once they get to the airport (for example) well, they start from scratch again. Isn't the point of the game to be ahead of everyone?" – Johanne Ramsay

"The race is fixed so that no one can get far ahead. Either it's a non elimination round or they all get to a place (i.e. the airport) and have to wait for a flight. Also, it seems like the challenges are designed as they go along to produce the desired result instead of being set before the race begins." – Betty and Tony

"I think what I am most tired about with the show is the manipulation to even the racers up. What advantage truly have some of these teams enjoyed by really performing and coming in two or three hours ahead only to have it dwindle away at the first opportunity?" – James M. Ryce

8) Different prizes
"Get better sponsors. Travelocity is getting stale... shoot the gnome! We need Coke, or Best Buy; things average people can enjoy. Not everyone can take time off work to go on the three trips they won! Really..." –  Greg B

9) See more of the places/go more places
"I liked seeing the different locations and would like to see more, and how they actually managed in the different countries. The boring part was seeing contestants get in cabs and hearing, 'Go faster we are in a race.'" –  Mickey Gohn

"Honestly, I'm sick to death of racers sitting in a cab. This show should really be titled Amazing Taxi, or Cabmazing Race." – Mike Kiss

"The travelers were not excited about the opportunity to see their destinations because they had done it before. Too much time was spent in airports haggling for tickets - half an hour per episode. I timed it!" –  Helen Weiss

10) Shake it up
"Why not have the teams race on behalf of different charities.... with nothing but the title going to the winners and maybe a nice vacation? I'm sure that homeless shelters, food banks, soup kitchens, etc. could all use that kind of money to help the poorest of our communities. If there is no cash incentive maybe we will see people at their best instead of their worst!" – Joan Forry

"I think they should pair up strangers to race…Then you would see some real bickering." – Dawn Cody

BB10 RENNY FAN FOREVER!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Re: Artical - 10 ways to fix Amazing Race
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
Refreshing this back to new as the latest seasons have been getting a little "uninteresting" as seasons such as 12, 15, and 17.  :'(

Dawn Cody's (last) comment.... :haha... that's seriously a joke, right? :res:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:58:25 PM »
"I think they should pair up strangers to race…Then you would see some real bickering." – Dawn Cody

Holy crap! This guy predicted TAR 29!

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:07:48 AM »
New sponsors are needed for TAR!

Would love to see an international version of TAR!

And now, look at the gap between TAR seasons!  :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
And the take home point??

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »

And then we had one of the most unmemorable casts ever...
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
4) Have a longer time off between seasons of TAR
"When it first started and there was a longer gap between shows, I looked forward to it; it was actually exciting. But now it seems they must have a Race on the go all the time, and frankly I can really miss episodes and not care. Or tune in to the last 15 minutes of it." – Kevin Munro

"When The Amazing Race first came out it was exciting, then you had to wait six or seven months to watch it again. It built anticipation." – Brad Frail

"Both Amazing Race and Survivor have gone from season to season without a break. Not seeing another season of either until October or even after Christmas would be refreshing." – Neal Schulz

And now we've been waiting long enough :'(
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »

I thought 29 was one of the best casts seasons. Everyone had an incredible personality (except for Logan and London, they were cool, but just kinda there).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »
Strangers' Edition merely rehashed past archetypes:

Kevin/Jenn = platonic Dennis/Isabelle

Jessie/Francesca = kinder Caitlin/Brittany

Seth/Olive = saner Tim/Marie

Shamir/Sara = younger Mark/Mallory

Vanck/Ashton = KevJumba's stereotypical cousin + either Vollyballer

Mike/Liz = ruder #TruckStopLove

Becca/Floyd = Joey/Meghan without a YouTube channel

Matt/Redmond = secular Snowboarders

London/Logan = duller Jeremy/Sandy

Tara/Joey = younger Bill/Cathi

Brooke/Scott = Flo/Zach without the redeeming traits

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »

I thought 29 was one of the best casts seasons. Everyone had an incredible personality (except for Logan and London, they were cool, but just kinda there).
I genuinely cannot remember anyone this season off the top of my head besides Scott & Brooke and Vanck & Ashton unless I Google for the cast. :duno: I remember more first names of racers from Family Edition and I haven't watched that season in ages so that truly says something about stranger-season's cast.

Just realized I even forgot Team Fun..... they were my favorites too. :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 05:27:31 AM »
You don't remember Joey? Tara?

wow....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »
I'm also pretty sure S29's cast was loved here.
I tried to personally recall everyone's names and placements, and I can say it took me a while to remember Kevin & Jenn, and I forgot Seth & Olive existed - but I actually really enjoyed them on the season, and wish we had seen more of them! I also forgot Liz's name, but her and Mike were awesome.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
I'm not sure if it's the mix of individual + team dynamics of the cast that slipped through me because I was very engaged with that season as well with updating live shows. Pistons just aren't firing when I think of TAR29's cast as a conglomerate or even the dating teams of TAR26. I recognize all the faces, but their profile images are the only memory I have of their time on the race. It shocks and somewhat alarms me also knowing that 29 was aired just two seasons ago.

Now that I do recall Tara & Joey and Seth & Olive running around... I don't remember stuff, in particular, they did other than T & J's individual strengths or Seth & Olive Rombering early. Liz & Mike I certainly forgot.