Author Topic: The Future of The Amazing Race & TAR 12  (Read 171565 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Future of The Amazing Race & TAR 12
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2007, 09:07:53 PM »
That is a great shout out! Hope somebody caught that!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline amazingjohn

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #551 on: June 16, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »
were the amaing race 11's ratings good or bad?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #552 on: June 16, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
Neither good nor bad, but mediocre to my way of thinking. I remember these statistics: 10.3 million for TAR11 vs. 10.8 million for TAR10. Both placed between 30th and 40th in the overall annual Neilson ratings for TV shows.

Offline swimmer12

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #553 on: June 16, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »
me and moy friend love the amazing race so we want it on forever so to boost its ratings we called to local radio station and asked if they could talk about the episode on mondays like a recap of the sundays ep. and they did it and people in my school started watching it.

Offline asamber1

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #554 on: June 16, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »
Neither good nor bad, but mediocre to my way of thinking. I remember these statistics: 10.3 million for TAR11 vs. 10.8 million for TAR10. Both placed between 30th and 40th in the overall annual Neilson ratings for TV shows.

I believe it was AR11: 10.1 Million and AR10 broke 11 Million i think it was 11.3.  So ratings declinde over 1 million viewers between the two

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #555 on: June 17, 2007, 12:49:02 AM »
Damn finally something I know about.

Season Ten ranked 31st and season 11 ranked 44th out of the 142 pminetime series on the 5 broadcast networks.

Season ten averaged 11.5 compared to season 11's 10.1.

But much of that difference is due to to factors.

Season ten recieved a substantual increase in viewers everytime there was a Football overrun of at least 10 minutes (roughly ever other episode).

While season 11 took a ratings hit with Golf overruns (only two I believe), and going agains't shows like the Oscars.

If you factor out those differences the difference between season's was much smaller (under half a million) and actually reflects the general decline most shows had in the fall as opposed to the spring.

But the show did very well with the ad friendly age group (something CBS general does poorly with).  But while its ratings were solid (if not remarkable), there has been a growing concern that having two cycles a year has diluted the shows appeal and has increased the chance of viewer fatigue.

Though of course out the last four cycles two have been breaks of format, witht he god awful family edition (not tha racers, but the tasks and the places), and the all stars (which lost some of its appeal by not presenting us with fresh racers (something even the Family edition did fairly well).

But compare it to the other seasons.
1.  8.8 million
2.  10.3 million
3.  8.98 million
4.  8.32 million
5.  10.73 million
6.  11.5 million
7.  13.0 million
8.  10.8 million  (family Eidtion started fairly strong and took a ratings hit as it progressed)
9.  9.1 million (Started much stronger and took a hit when it changed air time, and possile day?.)
10.  11.5 million
11.  10.1 million (all stars)

So really considering the general decline in viewers ships that almost every series has over the years, the show is doing well.

Season 10 was tied for the 2cd highest ratings (though some of that was due to sports overruns, so it would really be the 3rd most watched season).

Offline asamber1

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #556 on: June 17, 2007, 01:05:42 AM »
I would just like to point out how much higher Season 7 ratings are.. hmmm wonder why.

I just also want to add the two weeks after Romber were eliminated the show had a spike from some kind of sport i think it was b-ball March Madness.  So its posisble w/o those two week, the show would have fallen below 10 million viewers. And only the pre. was delayed for golf.  Amazing Race All Stars Failed, expectations were much higher and it failed.  And ironically Amazing Race 10 set up to pretty much fail [Sunday Nights, and was originally only picked up for 1 season] was a success!

And Season 9 NEVER started out strong, the pre. was barely 10 million viewers. I remember reading about that on the internet in a couple places. The lack of viewership follwed from AR8.

And like i said CBS making AR a midseason show is a disaster.  First off it did better than Season 9 and they brought it back after that season so i feel it should have been kept.  Secondly it does much better in the Fall/Winter thanks to football, so i dont know why they wouldnt keep it there and then just keep it on in Feb too.  Sunday night is a hard night and AR does not cost that much to make, i really dont get why they are wasting so much time on a drama that will prolly fail anyway!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2007, 07:12:57 AM »
Returning to the theme of "what do you watch this summer since there is little of value on?", I offer a recommendation for the new show "Giada in Paradise" on the Food network, Saturday at 9pm EDT. Giada di Laurentiis herself is completely over the top, with the greatest stock of superlative language I have ever heard. If she has been there, is doing it, is seeing it, or is eating it, it must be the best by definition and she tells you that. If you can get by that, this is a wonderful travel/food show. this episode featured Santorini with Crete thrown in as a surprise visit. Next week will be Capri. I recommend this show!

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 17, 2007, 08:48:58 AM »
I say you all watch so you think you can dance this summer!

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #559 on: June 17, 2007, 11:41:48 AM »
Asamber

Yes they did benefit from one BB week.  And while that did boost its average.  The golf overrun and going agains't the oscars (the first truely major TV event the show has faced in its history) more then balance it out.

And yeah season 7 managed its great ratings on two factors.  One was of course the crossover appeal of teh survivor audience due to Rob and Amber.  It also benefited from following the (at the time) most watched season of AR.

And while Season 9 started at just over 10 million viewers (and thus a disappointment in comparison to season 6 and 7) the fact that it managed those ratings after the strong decline in viewers from start to finish of the Family Edition as well as the general critical and viewer disappointment and the fact that in general (for several years now) shows int he spring get ower numbers then those in the fall, isn't a real disappointment.  What hurt it, was the switch tothe later time slot which cost the show on average a millin to a million and a half viewers each week.

As to season's 11 perception.  Yes it was considered a ratings disappointment.  But I also strongly believed that CBS was also aware taht while they were hoping for closer to season 6 & 7 ratings, that it was possible for it do worse.  Add to that knowingly putting it up so early in its season to the oscars, knowing that its biggest marketing point (Rob & Amber who they knew wouldn't be around long) and the fact that shows don't generally maintain ratings in teh spring, coudn't see it as that big of a disappointment).

The show gets fairly stable if unremarkable ratings.  It does better then average for CBS in both total viewers and in demo numbers, and hasn't really suffered teh decline (% wise) that most shows at 11 seasons suffer.

While of course want the show to continue.  I have stated (int he ratings thread) at the first episode of season 11 that it is quite possible that htey might go down to one cycle a year (to what it actually started with), so to help prevent the natural decline in viewers that shows go through. 

But I also believe that they might bump it back up to 2 for this season depending on two factors.

1.  When filming starts and finishes (thus when its in the can and could start to be broadcast.

2.  And how their new line up performs in September.  Its the most ambitious and risky lineup of the 5 networks, and much of it plays agains't the typical makeup of a "average" CBS viewer.

Its a big risk and one that might fail miserable (in fact many TV anaylist expect 3 of the new shows to fail hard and fast.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #560 on: June 18, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »
another thing working for tar in the future
The almost 120,000 members of SAG, who have named an advisory committee to rep actors during the writers' talks, have a main film and TV contract that runs until June 30, 2008. That's also when the DGA's film and TV pact expires.

alot of things coming up, bad time for tv head hanchos

Offline swimmer12

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #561 on: June 21, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
just out of curiosity how do u look for film permits?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #562 on: June 21, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
 :welcome2: Hi swimmer. You can start here for USA and here for international. Or you could just ask google: "City X film permits" and sniff around using the results you get. But few film bureaus will post permit details online (many don't even have websites). Good hunting.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #563 on: June 21, 2007, 08:18:53 PM »
Seems like right about now is when we might have some luck with permits too--

Should we split up and start looking? We could get spoilers anytime now but most likely after the 1st...

Hi Swimmer! :hithere: We are glad you are here!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline swimmer12

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #564 on: June 21, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »
thanks so much :yess:

Offline swimmer12

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #565 on: June 21, 2007, 08:20:13 PM »
sure how would u like to split it? im so exited i hope we find something lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #566 on: June 21, 2007, 08:22:21 PM »
Kogs? Slowhatch? What do y'all think--you are the experts at the film permits!

Since we are getting closer is it worth nosing around?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #567 on: June 21, 2007, 08:37:21 PM »
 :pirates: You guys go ahead and have fun; I'm busy chasing down the plane from Puddin's video link. (the smiley doesn't apply; I just wanted to use it  ;D)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #568 on: June 21, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Oh I know that plane! That's Phil's plane and somewhere  ??? I saw what kind it was!

Did y'all know he was a pilot?

Why aren't you playing Pirates with us Slowhatch? :lol3:

They have hatches after all!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #569 on: June 21, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »
Phil goes flying

The plane! The plane!

So now can you play Slowhatch? :happy:

Are you and Chateau trying out for your local race? I made you shirts!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #570 on: June 21, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »
Oh, I've got the sr-22. In particular, the two-tone paint job gives it away as a "generation 3" plane with an X-package (here, bottom of page). This press release (again, bottom of page) states that the gen-3s will only be used for demos, not sold; that fits in with the free promo from CBS (and fwiw, the guy next to Phil is an instructor, not a cameraman; Phil holds a student pilot license that expires on his birthday next year). There's only a handful of sr-22s licensed to Cirrus with tail numbers that start with 36; I'll figure it out eventually.

If it's pirates you're after, how about a mashup map?  :pirate5

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #571 on: June 21, 2007, 09:53:57 PM »
Kogs? Slowhatch? What do y'all think--you are the experts at the film permits!

Since we are getting closer is it worth nosing around?

peach, im going the pateince routes this time, once i see they posted a start date finding the start city will be easy tp find. remeber finding tar11 film permit was easy to find  ;) im keeping my eye on things, when it comes up either i will post it or im sure some1 will post it, or if i find it before i will be sure to post it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #572 on: June 21, 2007, 10:07:10 PM »
I should have known you'd be way ahead of me!  :lol:

But shouldn't Phil's plane be painted red and yellow!? :yess:

Oooh! real pirates might be too scary! What REALLY is scary is how many of those places are places I've been! But not so much in small boats... 
Who knew modern day pirates were so prevalent--but I want my pirate guys to be more of the Douglas Fairbanks/Errol Flynn/Orlando Bloom variety! Muscles, scantily dressed, a little rough around the edges.... :flirt:

But kogs--WHY is it easier later--we need some spoiling fun NOW!

You see what the peach has been reduced to in the absence of TAR! :lol3: :rotf: :lol3:  Save me from myself please! :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #573 on: June 21, 2007, 10:19:35 PM »
I should have known you'd be way ahead of me!  :lol:

But shouldn't Phil's plane be painted red and yellow!? :yess:

Oooh! real pirates might be too scary! What REALLY is scary is how many of those places are places I've been! But not so much in small boats... 
Who knew modern day pirates were so prevalent--but I want my pirate guys to be more of the Douglas Fairbanks/Errol Flynn/Orlando Bloom variety! Muscles, scantily dressed, a little rough around the edges.... :flirt:

But kogs--WHY is it easier later--we need some spoiling fun NOW!

You see what the peach has been reduced to in the absence of TAR! :lol3: :rotf: :lol3:  Save me from myself please! :lol:

of course we need spoilers now, but why kill yourself for something thats not there right now. i took this route in tar9,10,11 and it works. things come into your hands when you least except it

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #574 on: June 21, 2007, 10:50:56 PM »
of course we need spoilers now, but why kill yourself for something thats not there right now. i took this route in tar9,10,11 and it works. things come into your hands when you least except it

So they don't file the permits until just before?

How about if we do some educated guesses re the city?

I was thinking New Orleans might be good--sentimental favorite and all....
RFF's Golden Rule: