Author Topic: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."  (Read 194629 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »
I think the water tank shot is a solid match  :yess:

Nice work Peach!

And I agree with Boingo's tree pick.  The early morning estimate still looks good.  That is to say it is consistent with news story  about the place being closed from 10:00 to 12:30.  Actually the shot looks earlier than 10 am.

Time estimates will be coming in as the days go by.   :nitenite:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2007, 01:24:57 AM »
I went looking for "sea caves" and I found this boat photo from Blue water rafting. Maybe, maybe not; the problem is, the Kanaio caves are in Maui.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2007, 02:12:53 AM »
I think the water tank shot is a solid match 

Nice work Peach!

But it wasn't just me--it took a village! :lol: Boingo, and sups and Uncle Bill and puddin and Slowhatch and Chateau and--who did I forget?

That means we can place the teams at the airport then (you didn't happen to notice what time it was as they ran by, did you Chateau? :lol3:)

So maybe helicopter to Lanai airport, then drive yourself to harbor? or Munro trail? or Shipwreck Beach?

More zodiacs--Ocean Riders is the one known for circumnavigating the whole island.  And I think I saw the Blue Water ones on Lanai looking for dolphins...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:36:10 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2007, 07:39:50 AM »
PUTTING IT ALL TOEGETHER ON FINAL FLIGHTS: LANAI TO HONOLULU TO SAN FRANCISCO

Here are the logical flights from Lanai back to Honolulu after the tasks have been completed(tasks are designed to assure that no team will reach Lanai airport before the 1540 departure of the next earlier flgiht):

HA3825 1800 1830
HA3849 1805 1835
WP35    1810 1840
WP1655 1955 2025
WP37    2030 2100

The first three flights(and maybe the 4th) above definitely fit with this HNL to SFO flight:   UA 76 departs 2105 arrives 0501
If that flight is overbooked, then teams would be wise to take this combination: either of UA1040 or US8377 departing HNL 2000 or 2005 to Lihue, Kauai, both connecting to UA 4912 codeshared US6712 departing 2115 arriving 0520

The last two flights above will have to take either of: NW 222 departs 2200 arrives 0558  OR  DL632 departs 2325 arrives 0729

Based on past experience, World Race Productions will have designed this leg to assure that it will be a 3 team race in San Francisco. That means to me that all teams will be on HA3825 or HA3849 or WP35 out of Lanai. All will be also on UA76 out of HNL. In all cases they will be taking slots preserved for AR11 F3 teams. I don't think the producers wanted to experience a repeat of Lyn/Karlan arriving in the New York metro area crucial hours behind. they have worked too hard throughout AR11 to bunch teams that they will not screw up now and let any team get away from the pack or be left behind unless they seriously underperform.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2007, 08:22:44 AM »
:jumpy: Hi everyone I was looking at the picture of the airport in reply 85 and look into the left hand cornor and see the brown tank and how the trees look and then look at the picture in reply 91 and see the brown tank and the trees. Looks like they could be a match since the parking lot would be on that side of the runways and hangers.  ???

Another possibility is that they are running toward the admin building with the red roof to the right to get number for the order of chopper flights to Honolulu.  Looks like is late in the day, rather than early in the morning which would be the case if they were arriving from Honolulu.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2007, 08:41:56 AM »
Nice Boingo!

Want to play water tank now? :rotf:

I'm thinking maybe this is near where they get their cars? Airport? Harbor? We need to find a wall in front of a tank!

Seems like if we are seeing them exiting the zodiac at the harbor--then they are likely to be arriving. Maui--Lanai trips arrive at this harbor.

Or they could be doing the dolphin watching or sea turtle excursions! :lol3:

Possibilities:

Honolulu to Maui by helicopter, Maui to Lanai by zodiac (nice and scenic and we could see spinner dolphins! and explains seeing the teams leaving the zodiacs)
Honolulu to Lanai by helicopter, with another zodiac excursion. (harder to make this one fit)
Honolulu to Lanai by helicopter, and a zodiac excursion back from Shipwreck beach? (there is a round the island trip--but the climbing over the rocks shots means they arrived by car...)

Now it looks to me like we have Danielle and Eric running at the Lanai Airport from the arriving helicopter to the rental jeeps.  They have all their clothes on and are carrying their heavy back packs (stupid to have this much gear still with them this late in the race.)  I do not know the orientation of the airport, but the shadows are long which suggests early morning.  When we see Danielle leaving the ocean going Zodiac she is now stripped down to her bikini top and is not carrying a backpack.  If they were arriving from Maui for the first time, she would have her backpack with her. This looks like the end of some task which both E/D and C/M did together from the same Zodiac.  So teams arrive in Honolulu and get on helicopter for short ride across the ocean to Lanai. The shot of the helicopter at HNL could be taking off, not landing.

And the shot of Charla and Mirna in the helicopter with them doing the Hula seems to be something you would do when first arriving in Hawaii and not something when you are racing to catch the last flight home.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2007, 09:46:57 AM »
 :-\  FWIW, found this on Flickr

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
Nince job everyone. I sent a nice Email to Ocean Riders Inc. this morning  looking for info and if they were used in the taping of TARAS Let you know if they reply.
I WILL TRY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »
Great Uncle Bill! Ocean Riders would be my top pick right now becuse they go right around the island. Fingers crossed!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »
I doubt I will get anything out of it but on Friday night I e-mailed the San Fransisco filming permit office asking for a list of all permits filed on the date of the finale (I can't remember right now what the date is, but I looked it up before e-mailing)....I don't know how these offices work so I'm not sure if I'll get what I was looking for but we'll see?

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »
 :waves: Hi peach Since it is only 5am in HI it will be some time this afternoon before I get a reply and since it is a sunny day here in Maine for the 1st time in along time I'm out to do yard work. talk to you later.
I WILL TRY

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »
Honest I know nothing about scuba diving so am just throwing this out caves/caverns but was looking at this place last night.
Dive the hottest spots! Visit Cathedral Caverns on Lanai or the Wall at Molokini.

This photo shows what the Cathedrals at Lanai looks like. The depths here are in the sixty foot range. You are looking into the entrance of the Cathedral. The Cathedral is so big inside that 20 divers at one time can enter. There are several openings to the rear which can be used for exits. As the light shines through the openings it gives a Cathedral looking effect to the inside of the lava formation. A light may be taken down to explore the ceiling of the Cathedral. There is much color and growth to see. Also one may find an eel or two living here. This is one of our popular dives from Maui. Many divers visit the Cathedral each year. Once the inside is explored you will exit out the rear and explore the outside of the lava formation where an abundance of Marine life can be seen. This dive is fairly easy and Open Water divers who wish to explore the large lava formation can experience this dive as well as Advanced Divers and above. This is a daily 45 minute trip by boat from Lahaina Harbor. As you enter the water you will make a decent to about 25 feet to the top of the lava formation and than follow the dive guide to the opening which is in 55 feet of water. Here you will experience the excitement of The Cathedrals

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »
 :yess:  Found it!   :snicker:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »
WTG Boingo  :yess:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »
Is that the same as this one Boingo? What an excellent match!

Because if is the same one--they have sea caves!
Trips to the island of Lanai invite superb snorkeling and spinner dolphin encounters are quite common. Visit a sea cave with us for an unforgettable experience!

http://www.hawaiioceanrafting.com/

Could someone tell me where to find the screencaps/thumbnails for the buoy and cave scenes? Thanks!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2007, 10:47:15 AM »
Is that the same as this one Boingo? What an excellent match!

Because if is the same one--they have sea caves!
Trips to the island of Lanai invite superb snorkeling and spinner dolphin encounters are quite common. Visit a sea cave with us for an unforgettable experience!

http://www.hawaiioceanrafting.com/

:angel:  ummm....IMHO, rafts appear to be different....  ;)  Maybe someone will match my raft with a diving business, cause I can't.  ??? 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »
Shoot--I agree the tops are totally different!

What? No dive company that we can email?  :groan:

puddins Cathedral Site also had this:

The south side of Lanai is the real reason this island is the dive destination of the underwater explorers and seasoned divers. Here you will find lava formations, caverns, arches, tunnels, swim-thrus, pinnacles and plenty of marine life as they have all the holes and crevasses in the reef to make their home. Few dive operators travel here so it is less crowded than other destinations.

I would love to go to that Cathedral dive--it would be beautiful.

But have the teams ever done scuba? Aside from Adam's closed dive? We did have the rumor of a diving bell task in Mauritius but real scuba would take some orientation.  The Dustin cap looks like snorkel gear to me...

But I am missing some screencaps (cave, buoy) if anyone can point me in the right direction.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2007, 11:05:04 AM »

But have the teams ever done scuba? Aside from Adam's closed dive? We did have the rumor of a diving bell task in Mauritius but real scuba would take some orientation.  The Dustin cap looks like snorkel gear to me...

I agree, a 60' dive is 20 meters (or about 2 atmospheres).  Too deep for beginners.  I vote for snorkeling in a blue grotto/cave thingie.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
Clearer screencaps here. Laptops rule desktop sucks  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Tnank you! :thankyou:

Now I see 'em--and I like 'em!  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2007, 11:27:32 AM »
From these vidcaps it looks like Dustin and Kandice have paddled the kayak out to the liberty ship wreck and are pulling a clue off the side of the ship.  So the task is to paddle out through the surf and retrieve a clue, then back to the beach and off again somewhere else.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »
Do you want me to move them here?
They are in my photobucket and start at 00005-1-2007, then end at the top of the page.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »
 :lol:  Question: How do you get a cab in Hawaii?  Answer: Use The CAB phone.   :snicker: :lol3: :rotf:

TheCAB web page.     Hear the Jingle on the Contact Us page.   :happy:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:09:58 PM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2007, 12:08:27 PM »
Do you want me to move them here?
They are in my photobucket and start at 00005-1-2007, then end at the top of the page.

I'm good now thanks!  I just couldn't find them in your album before--but I've got them now and I can use the new BIG ones in the Finale threads! I like the big ones--old eyes and all that!

Okay--now we know they take a cab in Hawaii--why? Where? (and don't you just love the phone with the lei? Heee....)

Honolulu airport to helicopter site? zodiac site?
Surely they don't need one on Lanai becuase they drive themselves, right?
So why do they need a cab in Honolulu?
And Mirna looks pretty relaxed there too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:14:55 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »

Okay--now we know they take a cab in Hawaii--why? Where? (and don't you just love the phone with the lei? Heee....)

Honolulu airport to helicopter site? zodiac site?
Surely they don't need one on Lanai becuase they drive themselves, right?
So why do they need a cab in Honolulu?

Mirna doesn't appear to be in a hurry (checking her watch), maybe a HoO, as they appear to be waiting in front of a fence/gate?  Maybe first clue in Honolulu?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:32:43 PM by Boingo »