Author Topic: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."  (Read 194636 times)

Offline schwarzmoor

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Jr. Member
Re: EP13: "TBA" ( 1 hour season finale May 6th )
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
I think that shot was from Hong Kong.

Definitely. The buses shown can be another proof. No doubt on that

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 12:49:50 AM »
OOps--sorry guys!  My fault!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 09:40:25 AM »
Charla has a cell phone  :snicker:

That looks awfully  big and fat for a cell phone these days.  My guess is that this is the radio/phone belonging to the cab driver.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 09:45:07 AM »
web clues are up!

ooh, thanks puddin, i was about to add a photo in but yours is better !!

I think it's interesting to have a challenge about knowing your teammate right at the end, C/M would be awesome at that, E/D and D/K I'm not so sure about.

* Dustin & Kandice have a rare disagreement which prompts Dustin to be hurt by her friend.
* Charla & Mirna vow to rely on their wit and ability to navigate airline flights in order to beat the physically stronger teams. Will the underdog team prevail?
* A final task puts to the test how well each team member knows each other. Will this certain team at a disadvantage?
* Find out which team will win The Amazing Race: All-stars.

This makes it look like one final task does take place in San Francisco.  An IQ bit similar to the task that put Eric into second place by the Hippies in TAR 9

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2007, 09:47:21 AM »
I get a very early in the morning feeling from this shot.

They (the elims) have been assembled early since TPTB don't know how long the final "intelligent" task will take after the teams arrive early from Honolulu.  Also note that they all are wearing jackets as are E/D and C/M in the cabs.

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
Everything I read about shipwreck beach says the road to get there is dirt and very bumpy. You will need a 4-wheel drive. The shots of E/D having the bumpy ride should be on their way to the beach. It is 1.6 miles of dirt road off the main road.

"To get to the beach it is best to follow Highway 44 form Lanai City for about seven or so miles until there is a dirt road to the left. Take this and continue along it till you find yourself face to face with a parking facility near a ruined lighthouse. The beach is in front of the lighthouse. It is recommended that visitors try and utilize a four-wheel drive to make the journey as road conditions can sometimes overwhelm standard vehicles."

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
Charla has a cell phone  :snicker:

That looks awfully  big and fat for a cell phone these days.  My guess is that this is the radio/phone belonging to the cab driver.

Maybe she kept that GPS because she luuuuved pressing those buttons so much.  :lol:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 10:00:25 AM »
Some observations from the program promo (in no particular chronilogical order):

Shot of helicopter is of it landing at Honolulu International Airport.

Shots of C/M in the helicopter are over water - are they on the way to Lanai or returning to HNL?

The kayak that D/K are paddling in is marked ocean kayak.  First shots of them are near the beach with the wreck in the distance.  When they capsize they are next to the wreck.

We see D/K driving in jeep along the beach (with dry hair); also E/D driving yellow jeep along bumpy jungle road.

Interesting sequence of a rubber pontoon boat arriving at a pier: E and D (who now has a bathing suit top on and I assume a bottom under the shorts) leading Charla and Mirna up the piier.  Indication is that they arrived together at the landing spot (are D/K also there but ahead of the others?)

Some confusing sequences:  Beach area (some kind of boat docked behind) one of the BQ's is holding a DETOUR clue in her hand.  They don't seem to know where to go.

Rocky sea shore with Charla followed by Mirna running across rocks; ship wrech on the horizon

Rocky sea shore with Dustin and Kandice coming up from behind and passing C/M

Sandy path throughdunes: Eric and Danielle lead Kandice and Dustin down path through dunes - no wreck in background

Somebody swimming or diving or whatnot.

Question:  is the DETOUR either Swim or Paddle?

What time do we have flights to SF from HNL?  Most likely late evening departures and early morning arrivals.

From the length of shadows at Fort Soledad it looks like there is about a two hour difference between the arrival of the BQ's in first and C/M in third.  Chateau I am sure will give us exact times.

Now can anyone put this all together?

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2007, 10:07:15 AM »
Is this a refinery???? I just started looking but I found one in Kapolei.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
"WhooT"  Video! brb...

Photobucket here

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:36:38 AM by puddin »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »
omg I wasn't expecting it so soon!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »

This will work for now

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:55:43 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »
Located on the west coast of Lanai, Kaumalapau Harbor is the main harbor for the island where most fishing boats depart. The area was once a thriving and busy harbor when pineapple was king on the island. Now the harbor is quiet with only an occasional fisherman on the wharf and the Lanai Oil Company in the background.

Directions:
Take Highway 440 west from Lanai City to the end of the road. The harbor is approximately 7.5 miles out of town.

And I'm just saying: :lol3: The Lana'i Dolphin Adventure departs from slip 11 in the Lanai harbor and can be booked at the Korner Store (Dickenson and Wainea, a block inland from Front Street).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:22:22 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2007, 11:11:53 AM »
GMAN, this one's for you:

FLIGHT OPTIONS HNL TO SFO

1. UA 76 departs 2105 arrives 0501

2. NW 222 departs 2200 arrives 0558

3. either of UA1040 or US8377 departing HNL 2000 or 2005 to Lihue, Kauai, both connecting to UA 4912 codeshared US6712 departing 2115 arriving 0520

4. probably too late to do any good, DL632 departs 2325 arrives 0729

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »
GMAN, this one's for you:

FLIGHT OPTIONS HNL TO SFO

1. UA 76 departs 2105 arrives 0501

2. NW 222 departs 2200 arrives 0558

3. either of UA1040 or US8377 departing HNL 2000 or 2005 to Lihue, Kauai, both connecting to UA 4912 codeshared US6712 departing 2115 arriving 0520

4. probably too late to do any good, DL632 departs 2325 arrives 0729

Just like I thought: early evening depart and early morning arrival.    So that gives them mucho time to complete tasks in Lanai and then all three teams bunched together on the race to San Fran.

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »
Great match peach! The Lanai harbor is perfect for the pic of E/D on the dingy thingy.  :lol: I think the other two pictures (my earlier post) are at a different location though. The Lanai harbor doesn't appear to have an stacks/towers that are in the background shot of the BQ's. Also the shot of E/D running by a large tank doesn't appear to have other tanks immediately behind it like at Lanai harbor.

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
After looking at Puddings photo's the group shots with a stage in back ground is in the SF County Fair Building at Strybing
I WILL TRY

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2007, 11:55:59 AM »
What group shot uncle bill?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »
Good match peach! And Michael I'm guessing Uncle Bill means the shots with JVJ/ David & Mary etc ..

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
 Thanks Pudding  I forgot to mention which one  Sorry :groan:
I WILL TRY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2007, 01:46:35 PM »
Nice find Uncle Bill--I  had wondered where they were all gathering.

They said in the preview that the teams had to swim and drive...

So what do you all think about this for the drive part?

The Munro Trail is a nine mile dirt jeep trail that runs along the highest ridge on the island of Lanai in Hawii. The trail twists and turns as it runs along the ridge and it ends at the top of 3370 foot Mount Lanaihale, which is Lanai's highest point.

You need a four-wheel drive vehicle to drive the Munro Trail, and the road can be very muddy. It is also possible to hike the Munro Trail, but it is a hot and difficult hike on steep, uneven terrain. The trail should not be attempted, either on foot or in a 4-wheel drive vehicle, when it has been raining heavily in the mountains.

The Munro Trail was named after New Zealander George Munro, who was the manager of the Lanai Ranch. He planted pine trees on Lanai in the 1950's as part of his Lanai reforestation and watershed program.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:14:05 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
 I don;t see anything thats the Roadblock so I assume thats the final task at End City..How much do you know about your partner or whatever?
Looks like all teams have to Kayak out to the Shipwreck probably to get a clue which looks like it comes first.
The we see E/D and C/M on the pantoon ( Kaumalapau Harbor )and perhaps its the BQ's that we see/hear in the underwater cave" Are you ok?" is it a blow hole? I Dunno?  so maybe they are the detours?

Gman suggests the Helo is seen at the Honolulu International Airport. Lets see if we can match it up..

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:23:07 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2007, 02:55:16 PM »
Airport looks good to me puddin!

I had been wondering if it made more sense to get the teams to Maui first and then chopter them to Lana'i but looks from that match that they go direct.

I did an ID search on the N-registration # on the copter and found this:

And note the charter prices!

Edited to show that I just saw that Slowhatch beat me to it! HERE

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 05:39:14 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »
PEACH stated "I had been wondering if it made more sense to get the teams to Maui first and then chopter them to Lana'i but looks from that match that they go direct."

Based on the geography of the Hawaiian Islands, there are a number of possibilities. I consider the least likely to be direct from Honolulu Airport by helicopter to anywhere on Lanai. The options I think are more likely are:

1. Scheduled flights from HNL to LNY(Lanai airport) are by Island Air departing at 0635, 0855 and 0955 arriving LNY 30 minutes later. Take the helicopter from there to any the first task.

2. Scheduled flights from HNL to OGG(Maui airport) are by Aloha, Hawaiian, IslandAir and Mesa Airlines. there are 11 flights from 0600 to 0930, clearly many more than possible direct to Lanai. All take 30 minutes. Take the helicopter from there to any first task on Lanai.The distance appears to be about 30 miles to Shipwreck Beach.

3. Scheduled flights from HNL to MKK(Molokai airport) are by Island Air at 0610, Pacific Wings at 0710, Island Air at 0820, Pacific Wings at 0840, and Pacific Wings at 0850. All take 30 minutes.Take the helicopter from there to any firwst task on Lanai. the distance appears to be about 30 miles to Shipwreck Beach.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2007, 04:57:19 PM »
The task in San Fran is most likely the detour (the facts about your partner).  Season 9, 8, 3 all ended with puzzles that were roadblocks in the final destination city (though in season 9 you could talk to your partner.