Author Topic: EP12: "Oh My God, The Teletubbies Go To War."  (Read 120756 times)

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP12: "Oh My God, The Teletubbies Go To War."
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »
What I don't understand is why they would take a flight that would shorten their layover time by 20 minutes. The original flight was due to land at 6:40 pm; the flight they chose with the 747 at 7pm and the connecting flight leaves at 8:30 p.m. 1 1/2 hours seems like plenty of time but why risk it for a more comfortable plane? Have they not learned a thing! Jeez, and this is for the finish!!! Crazy kids.  :groan:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2007, 02:55:51 PM »
I can't see anyone calling a Boing 747 "a more comfortable" plane.  UNLESS, that is, you are travelling in Business or First Class. Economy or cattle class on a 747 is a crowded, knee crunching, 3-5-3 seating coffin.  Especially on a Northwest flight.  Believe me, I have been there, done that.

Offline $HOP@HOL!C

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2007, 03:25:29 PM »
Ok so could someone please summarize what we know and don't know about this episode so far??? Like we had for the last episode??? I'm sry but I really don't have time 2 look all over the forum for spoilers,lol
How about you summarizing $HOP@HOL!C because I don't have time to look all over the forum for spoilers? .......ready set GO!!
Ok I seriously did not mean that in a rude way or anything. I truly appreciate everyone's hard work here, and even though I may not be contributing to the spoilers, I take all of them into consideration.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2007, 03:32:56 PM »
There is a shot of Dustin posted together with the other three teams doing the Roadblock (Charla, Danielle and Oswald) and it looks like in this shot Dustin is being strapped into some kind of equipment (not the vest that the other three are wearing while trapsing around with the GPS thing in their hands)  This looks very much like a military type  strapping her into a parachute harness.  If I remember correctly this was SOP if you were about to ride in an open-door helicopter on Guam. My cameraman and I had to don such equipement when we flew by chopper all over Guam.  Of course we were actually sitting on the edge of the door with our feet hanging over onto the landing skid!  So if things have not changed in 20 years, Dustin is about to take off on the chopper part of the Roadblock after completing the GPS part.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
Is there an actual shot of them all there at the same time? Based on mrspreacher I thought D/K arrived first and finished before the other teams got there

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
There is a shot of Dustin posted together with the other three teams doing the Roadblock (Charla, Danielle and Oswald) and it looks like in this shot Dustin is being strapped into some kind of equipment (not the vest that the other three are wearing while trapsing around with the GPS thing in their hands)  This looks very much like a military type  strapping her into a parachute harness.  If I remember correctly this was SOP if you were about to ride in an open-door helicopter on Guam. My cameraman and I had to don such equipement when we flew by chopper all over Guam.  Of course we were actually sitting on the edge of the door with our feet hanging over onto the landing skid!  So if things have not changed in 20 years, Dustin is about to take off on the chopper part of the Roadblock after completing the GPS part.

I was kind of wondering if they would helicopter them to somewhere first and drop them off -- then they would have to use the GPS to find their way back. That would be cool.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »
Maybe one team member is dropped off in the middle of a jungle/forest whatever (thanks for the suggestion supsandalee) while the other team mate waits at the end of the RB (possibly the pit stop?) and the one who was dropped off has to find the other team mate. That would explain why mrspreachers friend drove D/K to two separate locations.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »
I can't see anyone calling a Boeing 747 "a more comfortable" plane.  UNLESS, that is, you are travelling in Business or First Class. Economy or cattle class on a 747 is a crowded, knee crunching, 3-5-3 seating coffin.  Especially on a Northwest flight.  Believe me, I have been there, done that.

gman, I've been thinking the same thing.  The seats width and pitch are basically the same for economy on both aircraft so there is no additional room for comfort.  As you stated, the middle seats in economy are the worst.  unless they were alluding the creature comforts such as IFE (in flight entertainment) but economy is economy so I can't see them being that much different.  now if the 747 was newly modified or a newly acquired airplane (however, I don't think NWA has bought any new airplanes lately - I work in the aircraft making business so I know a little something about this.  ;) ) then the the aircraft could give a feel of being more comfortable.  *shrug*   AND I agree with you on NWA. I'm not a fan.

747-200 ---->(3-3 config) Seat Width = 17.17"  Seat Pitch = 31 - 32"
http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/seatm/747200z/index.shtml

757-200 ----->3-4-3 config) Seat Width =17.17" Seat Pitch =30 - 32"
http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/seatm/756/index.shtml

Offline mrspreacher

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
Okay, I e-mailed my source about the girls being the first ones to arrive and here is what she said--

Haha--no problem at all, I really don't mind the questions. My friend said they were the first to arrive to the naval base. I have no idea if they were the first to arrive on Guam, or how long they'd been here and what they did before they came to the naval base, but I know she said they were the first to get to the base and she was the first driver picked.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »
Thanks a lot mrspreacher, it really does help a lot because now we know that whenever the RB comes, D/K get their first, which is a pretty good spoiler since it may help us figure out the order of arrival in this episode...I still think the confessionals at the end of the last leg gave away the order of arrival from Guam.

:happy:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
Your a gem mrspreacher :thankyou: so much for all the info!!

:hearts:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »
Colby, supsandalee, and Gman, your comments on the 747 are all accurate for COACH class. However, I have a suspicion that the discussion with the 747 captain involved an automatic upgrade if Eric and Danielle went on his plane and I'll also bet that it applied to Dustin/Kandice as well. I'm certain that pilots can work the system to accomplish that if they wish, particularly for celebrities.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »

I was kind of wondering if they would helicopter them to somewhere first and drop them off -- then they would have to use the GPS to find their way back. That would be cool.

Suds, that sounds like a very good possibility.  Perhaps the chopper hop comes first then the GPS gig. That could also explain the vest-type garment they all are wearing which actually could be some kind of flotation device you also have to wear in case you come down in the water.

Good chance that after AAFB DETOUR they must make their way to Nimintz hill (also the home of the islands commanding Admiral) and find the lookout point.  Then they must make their way to the Naval Station for the next clue which is the ROADBLOCK.  Also it looks like once on Guam they must drive themselves around the island in vans of some sort.  But need to have someone else drive them into, on and off both AAFB and the Navy Base.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2007, 11:13:02 PM »
I'm confused, if mrspreachers friend said C/M went somewhere else how could that be the RB then?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2007, 11:43:22 PM »
I'm confused, if mrspreachers friend said C/M went somewhere else how could that be the RB then?
Where did you read that Michael :crazy ?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »
Crickies Puddin!  I just went back and saw all the photos you slipped into your post.

The first time I saw it there was nothing useful.  Noww, there's a plenty.  Thanks.

I just beat a speeding ticket today.   :jumpy:  I was up all night preparing my defense.  I had it all ready, Google Earth shots, protractor, and optical illusion tricks to demonstrate the power of bad assumptions.

Stupid CHiP did not show.  I'm so disappointed.  I was gonna educate him!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2007, 11:46:37 PM »
"I'd be happy to share what I know with you, and you can pass it on if you want.
A friend of mine was selected to be a driver for the teams that came to the naval base. The Beauty Queens were the first to arrive at the base, and this is who my friend drove. I believe they were the first to finish here as well. I have no idea whether all the teams came to the naval base or if they had the choice to go to the air force base. From the previews for next week, I'm pretty sure that Eric & Danielle also came to the naval base, and the Charla & Mirna were at the Air Force Base. The challenge on the Naval base involved a run through a jungle, and a short helicopter ride, I think. The challenge at the Air Force base, is part of a toy drop that Guam participates in every December, where they fly donated toys to nearby islands. I really have no idea how any of them did overall here. Hope this helps a little! "

the bolded part!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2007, 11:47:45 PM »
WooHoo Chateau! WTG!! And, remember you've got a friend in Pennsylvania  :hearts:

Michael,

From the previews for next week, I'm pretty sure that Eric & Danielle also came to the naval base, and the Charla & Mirna were at the Air Force Base.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
 :groan:
wow, I'm blind LOL, and I even bolded the part right next to that! Sorry for the confusion  :angel:

ooh, good job on the speed ticket Chateau!  :jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2007, 11:54:10 PM »
^^ Maybe the BQ's are squeezing the Shlitz out of your brain? :touche:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »
^^ Maybe the BQ's are squeezing the Shlitz out of your brain? :touche:

Possibly ;)

I hope next season we like the same team puddin :lol3:

If Phil's preview doesn't come out tomorrow does that mean we wont get it, because I doubt they work on weekends!

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2007, 01:20:37 AM »
Yeah, didn't we have a week, where we didn't get a preview later int eh week?

Or am I just getting old and forgetful.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:23 AM »
No your not getting old and forgetfull mswood, I think it was week 9 that they forgot about us detectives needing to tear apart the Philsters preview ..someone at SEEBS hates us  :james: ..if its not up tomorrow I don't think we'll get one  (:;)

Offline supsandalee

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »
Chateau, the bottom 15-20 pictures on this page might also be helpful. That is where I got the original one I posted. And LOL at fighting the speeding ticket!  :lol:

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=war+in+the+pacific+park&new=1&source=chromeheader

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but there are photos posted by Puddin yesterday in a new Ep12 thread that clearly show one member of each team with a GPS thing-a-bob and wearing a military floatation device:

Danielle
     Charla
     Oswald
     Dustin

So this must be the ROADBLOCK since one member of each team is performing the task.

To me it now looks like the team member must ride in a helicopter a short distance over the Naval Base to a jungle training area, and then find their way back to civilization where the other member of the team is waiting. There is a shot (also in the new thread) of two people running toward an open door helicopter.  This looks very much like the same type of chopper my cameraman and I flew in when we were in Guam (hanging out the door and filming the island below).

'My name for this task is "WHO IS A SURVIVOR?"

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:42:01 PM by gingerman28 »