Author Topic: EP12: "Oh My God, The Teletubbies Go To War."  (Read 120016 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP12: "Oh My God, The Teletubbies Go To War."
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2007, 01:26:10 AM »
Guam to appear in 'Amazing Race'
By Mark-Alexander Pieper
Pacific Daily News
mpieper@guampdn.com

Guam will get some national exposure next week when CBS's popular "The Amazing Race All-Stars" series airs an episode filmed on Guam last December.

The game show took contestants through various parts of Andersen Air Force Base and will have them trekking through the jungles around Orote Point on Naval Forces Marianas.

The show is scheduled to air on Guam at 9 p.m. Monday.

CBS has a preview of the show available on its Web site. According to the preview of episode 11, one team is "overcome with feelings of patriotism at the U.S. military bases on Guam."
"We are happy to be a part of a reality show, but more than just being an exotic location, we're happy to give the contestants and viewers a glimpse into the Air Force's global reach and power projection," said Sgt. Chris Powell, of AAFB's Public Affairs Office.

Buzz Cafe employee Mike Benito said he watches the adventure show on occasion. The 32-year-old believes many Guam residents, including those that don't normally follow the show, will tune in next week to watch how Guam is depicted.

He said he's a little concerned that the shows may have be only filmed on military bases and doesn't want people to get the idea that Guam is just one big base.

"That's the way a lot of people who don't know much about Guam think anyway
but I think overall (the show) is probably a good thing if they show the good things about the island," he said.

"It's good exposure because you rarely see anything about Guam on a nationwide level unless it has something to do with brown tree snakes."

source

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2007, 01:34:25 AM »
Found this here

It may be the airstrip we see Danielle on.

Can anyone help identify these two abandoned Guam airfields.

Correctly identified as Orote Field,the second photo shows the old Japanese single strip airfield after the U.S. forces had repaired and enlarged the field during WW2.

The last photo is Orote Point. I believe the airfield was of the same name. It is no longer in use and is part of the U.S. Naval Station Guam (or that's what they used to call it!).

And a 1945 picture of Orote Point airfield.

And from a military guide: re the brown tree snakes:
The jungle areas surrounding the bases seem to provide an ideal habitat for the snakes. This habitat appears to have the highest density of snakes near the port areas.

Poor racers...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:47:38 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2007, 02:05:08 AM »
Bribe for Chateau..I'll trade you a picture of Kandice for some pitstop confessional time/guess's :luvu:

You guys won't care I'm sure, :lol: but it is really supposedly Drea de Matteo.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:47 AM »
No its Kandice, so I read on Pinoy's? I can't remember but its the Beauty Pageant forum. They said it was superimposed << is that how you say it? She wasn't actually sitting on " Tony's" lap Bada Bing!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2007, 02:19:00 AM »
 :lol:
Well whoever it is--here's the pre-airbrushing pic. :lol:

(Sorry guys... ;))

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2007, 07:18:43 AM »
Still hot to me ;)

but way off topic :P

I'm hoping Chateau accepts puddin's offer and gives us some Confessional time stamps, to me D/K and E/D look about the same in the confessionals, and Charlas solo looks like it could be later on in the day.

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2007, 08:44:35 AM »
The Asan Bay Overlook doesn't seem be the pit stop. It's on Nimitz Hill, which is on a high elevation, hence the overlook. I stopped by there awhile ago to check it out (yay! I can say now that I went to a route marker destination!  :wohoo:) and I checked out the area Chateau encircled. It's actually at the highest point in the place, and a different ocean view can be seen from it.

I'm guessing either the Route Info would tell them to go to the Roadblock, because the Naval Station is pretty near here, or they hike down from that Route Info to a place below for the pitstop. I saw a circular clearing from the overlook, which is odd for me for some reason, so there. I didn't have time to explore this area awhile ago because I only had a few minutes before class, but on Saturday I should be able to come back to the place, maybe with a camera and rope. :lol:

And also on Saturday I should be able to explore SW Guam, which I didn't go to last Saturday, and now I regret. The pitstop could be there if it's not at Asan, see. B:)

Hehe, I said I wouldn't be going to the Asan Bay Overlook awhile ago, but I did anyway. My initial reason for being in the Asan area awhile ago was to check if the Asan Beach Park was the pitstop, but no it wasn't. :groan:

He said he's a little concerned that the shows may have be only filmed on military bases and doesn't want people to get the idea that Guam is just one big base.

"That's the way a lot of people who don't know much about Guam think anyway but I think overall (the show) is probably a good thing if they show the good things about the island," he said.
My same sentiments.
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
I at first I didn't think it was Kandice.  But the proof is in the spots (freckles).

Bad Girl !

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
LOL, nice Chateau, I noticed the spots too!

Now, based on the curve of her back are you able to tell us the time that the photo of Kandice sitting on the dirty old mans lap was taken?  :lol3:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
So far it looks like the teams take the most direct route from Macao via Manilla to Guam which arrives at 0440. Other flights through NRT seem to arrive late in the afternoon or early evening. Or all teams go from Macao to Hong Kong to Narita and then on to Guam arriving during the evening.  Perhaps going somewhere to find something and then going to AAFB and waiting for the place to open in the early morning after sunrise.

Probably a bunch point as teams head to AAFB but then have to wait for the base to open.  We have Charla and Mirna doing what looks like half of a detour at 8:08AM to 8:18AM (Chateau's best calculation) The second detour task seems to be scrubbing down a large plane.  A big question is do they actually make a flight to some near by island?  That is going to eat up a lot of time.

Later on we do see all four teams doing the ROADBLOCK at Orote Point Airfield which is now part of the U. S. Naval Station Guam (find your way through the jungle and take a helicopter ride somewhere perhaps). We have individual shots of Danielle, Charla, Oswald and Dusitin following the GPS hand held device leading them somewhere.

Then it is on to the pit stop.  D/O get Philiminated

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 07:32:23 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »
I just thought of something that mrspreacher has been saying.

She said that D/K arrived first at the naval base, and that E/D came after them and that C/M went to the Air Force Base. That would make it appear to be a detour, since there are TWO locations that the teams are at - but she also said that her friend drove ONE team member to one area, and another team member to ANOTHER area,  which makes it seem like a Road Block. Which task was her friend participating in?!

If it was the RB then I say E/D are ahead of C/M in this leg, because they came after the BQs and after the road block should be the pit stop. Charla's confessional shot also looks darker then E/D or D/K's..

(sorry for the  B:) , I'm just trying to organize my thoughts! )

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
Michael, I think you may have gotten just a bit mixed up with MsPreachers info.

Her source mentioned seeing and driving the BQ's from the entrance of the naval base to wherever on the base they had to perform the task. 

Mspreachers reference to Eric and Danielle and Charla and Mirna sounds like it was based upon what was shown in the previews.  Meaning based upon what is seen, Eric and Danielle are shown at the Naval Base doing the search task and Charla and Mirna on the C-17 is at the Air Force base.  I don't believe mspreacher was saying that E/D showed up next and that C/M went to the Air Force Base at the same time.   it's confusing I know because  had the same confusion.  At least I think I am interpretting her info correctly. 

MsPreachers info:
"I'd be happy to share what I know with you, and you can pass it on if you want.
A friend of mine was selected to be a driver for the teams that came to the naval base. The Beauty Queens were the first to arrive at the base, and this is who my friend drove. I believe they were the first to finish here as well. I have no idea whether all the teams came to the naval base or if they had the choice to go to the air force base. From the previews for next week, I'm pretty sure that Eric & Danielle also came to the naval base, and the Charla & Mirna were at the Air Force Base. The challenge on the Naval base involved a run through a jungle, and a short helicopter ride, I think. The challenge at the Air Force base, is part of a toy drop that Guam participates in every December, where they fly donated toys to nearby islands. I really have no idea how any of them did overall here. Hope this helps a little! "

I don't know if this helps at all. I am also going to write her back and see if she has any times.

"I don't know any specific times. It was morning I think, I remember her telling me that she and the other drivers went to lunch after they were done. My friend is a woman. I believe my friend drove them to one destination on base, dropped one girl off (sorry, I have no idea which one, she'd never watched the show before and didn't know who they were.) Then she drove the other girl to another place on base, picked the first girl up, and drove them back off of base. I think they were in rental cars. I have no idea if they did anything off of the base, they just needed drivers to be allowed on the base because they don't have military ID's. Hope this helps!!"

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »
Adding my two cents ..
Maybe they finished the RB in the order that chevy provided via foxburns but with apskips info here ..
( Remember we see the teams driving at some point in Guam and anything could happen, bad directions, car problems etc ..)

First up was Dustin/Kandice, who booked NW 81 mid-afternoon to Narita and NW10 from there to Honolulu. Charla/Mirna actually booked the same flights through Continental's ticket counter. Last was Eric/Danielle, who had run into a NW 747 pilot who convinced them to take the 20 minute later NW73 to Narita to get the comfort of the 747.

Most likely screnario at the Pitstop ( Unless theres something/task the teams have to do on the morning of DEC 16th before they can book flights)

BQ's
C/M or Cha's who wait out the MFE penalty
E/D or Cha's who wait out the MFE penalty
Cha's or E/D with Cha's going out on the MFE penalty

*I believe my friend drove them to one destination on (NAVAL)base, dropped one girl off. Then she drove the other girl to another place on base, picked the first girl up, and drove them back off of (NAVAL) base ( ROADBLOCK).
*The Beauty Queens were the first to arrive at the (NAVAL) base, and this is who my friend drove.
*I believe they were the first to finish here as well.
*I have no idea whether all the teams came to the naval base or if they had the choice to go to the air force base.
*From the previews for next week, I'm pretty sure that Eric & Danielle also came to the naval base ( ROADBLOCK), and the Charla & Mirna were at the Air Force Base ( DETOUR).
*The challenge on the Naval base involved a run through a jungle (Orote Point), and a short helicopter ride (ROADBLOCK), I think.
*The challenge at the Air Force base ( DETOUR), is part of a toy drop that Guam participates in every December, where they fly donated toys to nearby islands. I really have no idea how any of them did overall here.
*I don't know any specific times. It was morning I think, I remember her telling me that she and the other drivers went to lunch after they were done.
*I think they were in rental cars. I have no idea if they did anything off of the base, they just needed drivers to be allowed on the base because they don't have military ID's.
* sorry, I have no idea which one, she'd never watched the show before and didn't know who they were.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:04:07 PM by puddin »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
UPDATE ON FLIGHT INFO TO GUAM

I double checked my flight info and need to change the originating flight and the time of the connecting flight for the first combination, which is the one all teams will logically take. I estimate that the earliest flight Dustin/Kandice could get would be 0500. Any of the following flights to Tokyo-Narita will work to arrive before 3pm:

NW2   departs 0830 arrives 1330
UA890 departs 0855 arrives 1415
CX504 departs 0910 arrives 1435
KA360 departs 0915 arrives 1445
NH912 departs 0940 arrives 1450

All the other teams should also be able to catch any of these flights.

In Narita, the connection is still to CO7, but the timing for that flight is depart 1550 and arrive Guam 2025. Presumably, there will then be hours of operation to again bunch the teams in case any made different flight arrangements and arrived later that night(up to 0440 was possible).

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »
MrsPreacher - I wonder if you can ask your friend if it's possible that a team came very far ahead of the BQs and that is why your friend thought the BQs were first.

Offline $HOP@HOL!C

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Ok so could someone please summarize what we know and don't know about this episode so far??? Like we had for the last episode??? I'm sry but I really don't have time 2 look all over the forum for spoilers,lol

Offline wifeofUSMCsgt

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
Ok so could someone please summarize what we know and don't know about this episode so far??? Like we had for the last episode??? I'm sry but I really don't have time 2 look all over the forum for spoilers,lol

If you go to post 110 on pg 5 puddin has alreday don that   :ninja

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2007, 04:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the bribe Puddin!

I had been working on it already.  However, it looks like they are all shown sitting in a shaded area.  Except for the Chas who get a little bit of sun on Danny's cap.  That and a lot of guesstimating gives a time of 1:20 pm plus or minus an hour for their shot.

So my little summary is:

Teams arrive in Guam on the evening of the 14th.
Go find something.
Get clue to go to AAFB.
Drive there and have wait for Hours of Operation in the next morning (December 15th).
Detour to scrub stuff or air-drop stuff.
Drive to the Navel base (20 miles by crow).
Roadblock in the jungle
Find the Asan Lookout
Goto the pit stop (nearby the Asan Lookout)

Maybe the Asan Lookout is where they get the Roadblock instructions.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
How about you summarizing $HOP@HOL!C because I don't have time to look all over the forum for spoilers? .......ready set GO!!

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
 :jumpy: Thanks Chateau!

so I'm thinking the DETOUR that charla and mirna decide to do might screw them up, because it seems a lot longer then to scrub a plane.

thanks for the correction puddin!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:47:53 PM by Michael D »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2007, 04:51:33 PM »
Chateau I like your scenario  :kissy:
So what chevy saw were maybe the detours not Roadblocks?

chevy posts:
*I heard about the Amazing Race All Stars. As it turns out that I was on Guam for business this week and
*got to see a few of the All-Star teams complete in some challenges.
*For the sake of integrity, I won't mention what teams I saw but I did get to see them do the road blocks.
*It was interesting to see the behind the scenes part of it all just for a few minutes of footage.
*They did their competition on the AF base there and it was pretty cool.
*We were not allowed to take pictures for obvious reasons.
*You will be surprised on who the final 4 will be. I had the opportunity to see all 4 teams in action during a stop in Guam in Dec.
*IT was very interesting to see what goes behind the filming. It will be interesting to see what actually makes it on TV.
*They probably filmed for a couple of hours to get just a few minutes of final footage.

chevy info via foxburns:
Charla/Mirna were first with (again) a huge lead Eric/Danielle were next followed by...BQ's and...Cha Cha Chas's

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
Yeah, I think people say Roadblock for any TAR activity w/o knowing if it really is a Roadblock.  The only reason we know it is because the show tells us, or we see red instruction sheets.  I guess an onlooker could hear a team say "ROADBLOCK" but they would have to be at the right place at the right time.

Offline GnarlyMarly

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
Sorry off topic

Now, based on the curve of her back are you able to tell us the time that the photo of Kandice sitting on the dirty old mans lap was taken?

Is that really Kandice?? Thats the Soprano cast shoot for Vanity Fair, thats crazy!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Yeah, I think people say Roadblock for any TAR activity w/o knowing if it really is a Roadblock.  The only reason we know it is because the show tells us, or we see red instruction sheets.  I guess an onlooker could hear a team say "ROADBLOCK" but they would have to be at the right place at the right time.
..and we don't know if this is how they arrived at the Detours or finished OR if its even all true?
chevy info via foxburns:
Charla/Mirna were first with (again) a huge lead Eric/Danielle were next followed by...BQ's and...Cha Cha Chas's

ETA: If true then the X-Mas drop/C&M was the faster of the Detour options? Maybe Dustin just makes quick time of the RB, we know Danielle is having problems..I'll still go with the BQ's coming in first based on apskips info. A lot could happen too such as getting lost ( Oswald wonders if they are even going the right way ) or other car problems.

Sorry off topic

Now, based on the curve of her back are you able to tell us the time that the photo of Kandice sitting on the dirty old mans lap was taken?

Is that really Kandice?? Thats the Soprano cast shoot for Vanity Fair, thats crazy!

mmm I'd sit on Tony's lap anyday (Holy Cannoli !), I lurve dirty old men as well as the Soprano's  ;).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:12:01 PM by puddin »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »
I still can't believe all this time I was assuming that C/M had this awesome lead from Malaysia - Guam!

I wonder if there might be more then one part to the washing the plane detour. The christmas drop must take a lot of time due to flying somewhere, taking off, landing, etc....

mmm I'd sit on Tony's lap anyday (Holy Cannoli !), I lurve dirty old men as well as the Soprano's  .

I wish I were that old man, then Kandice would be sitting in MY lap :( :knuckles:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:29:17 PM by Michael D »