Author Topic: EP10: "We Are Trying To Make Love, Not War."  (Read 153408 times)

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
Re: EP10: "We Are Trying To Make Love, Not War."
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2007, 05:33:10 PM »
Maybe you are right apskip.  My memory is failing me.  All i can recall is teams talking about who they would use the yield on or did that happen in my mind?   :rotf:

Hopefully puddin can find something in her digging.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2007, 05:45:30 PM »
I dont remember where the Hong Kong junket story came from.. maybe Gman could just tell us since he brought it up  :ninja

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2007, 07:19:41 PM »
Whats the word as far as TBC/NEL?

Leg 10 - TBC
Leg 11 - FF (NEL)
Leg 12 - Yield (Elim)

OR

Leg 10 - NEL (FF)
Leg 11 - TBC
Leg 12 - Yield (Elimination)

FFs can't be after the 11th leg so depending on where the TBC is that makes it in the NEL.
TAR Top 6 FavoriteTeams -

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2007, 07:23:38 PM »
I don't think there would be a NEL before a TBC because the penalty would be so drawn out then...so it's probably going to be

TBC
NEL
ELIM

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »
That makes sense and there is no way they would do a YIELD and FF on the same leg.

Leg 10 - TBC
Leg 11 - NEL (FF)
Leg 12 - Elimination of Chas (YIELD)
Leg 13 - Finale

Offline mylastduchess

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »
Is there a chance that Leg 12 is actually the start of the Finale and D/O is only running as decoys?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:56 PM »
the the NEL being on leg 12, and the final three teams just trying to get the highest start time on the final leg? That would be interesting...it would be a lot like the old TAR seasons, but if they did that they probably would have made it a two hour finale.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2007, 08:54:22 PM »
We've had one Fast Forward used (Krakow).  But didn't we determine that there had been an ep with a FF but no one used it? I recall that someone spotted a green card in someones hand.  In past TARs there have only been two FFs.  So maybe there will not be another FF in the eps that are left.  But there still seems to be a Yield ahead since Phil mentioned that there are only two in the race which seems to hint that there is still another one ahead.

The mention of the Junk was in one of the pieces that Phil recorded after the two polish eps.  I'll try to find it again. He was talking about how "hard" his job is and he didn't always have time to go to a nice hotel and an example was the 17 hour wait in Zanzibar and another time was the long wait on the Junk.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2007, 08:56:17 PM »
gman, i don't think that ended up being a FF after all, it didn't look like it anyways..

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »
I'll include some Chinese signs later, but here's two I can decipher  :lol: : Swindon Book Co. is at 13 Lock road, not far from the Star ferry; and "Kiss My Kids" (frame is flipped for some reason) is an educational toy store that, according to this blog, is on Nathan road. The HK yellow pages lists the address as "Shun Lee Disciplined Serv Qtrs Coml Shopping Arc, Kwun Tong," whatever that means.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tyler

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
Sometimes the blue RI cards look like green on the tv screen based on reflections and lights though.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2007, 09:28:54 PM »
gman, i don't think that ended up being a FF after all, it didn't look like it anyways..

I think it convinced mswood and me--but we were in a serious minority!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline schwarzmoor

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:30 PM »
Due to D/K sighting in Shau Kei Wan, I think that the Kung Fu detour is located there, maybe near the Shau Kei Wan Government School mentioned by another poster months ago.

It looks like this is the background where you can see Kandice climb up the building, but I don't know the exact location of this place yet.

Thanks serendipity. I searched the same pic when I search about Shau Kei Wan and I found one with better resolution. It looks very similar, but it is not really the place. The windows does not look the same.
The pic is actually from Ngau Tau Kok and the shorter building is the primary school. The pic is taken in 2002. However, the whole area has been demolished.

Offline rottenchestnut

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »
It is actually quite a common building in Hong Kong. I think this type of building also can be found in Tung Tau Tsuen or San Po Kong area (somewhere near Kowloon City - Old "Kai Tak" Airport")
Maybe they are looking for "Kung Fung" task before or after the task at old airport.

(it's just my guess)

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2007, 02:43:35 AM »
I think there are no spotting of any FF clue before the Poland Leg yet.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2007, 02:44:35 AM »
As tot he Fast Forward.

When it was used in the other episode, Phil makes no comments about the status of the fast forward.  Which is very unuusally, as we normally get a this is the first of two, or this is the last, ect.

As to reasons why I beleive it was on the leg going to Africa, is because of two Insider Clips.

1.  When Danny & Oswald tell Uchenna & Joyce that they aren't going to use the fast forward.

2.  Eric tells the Guidos (when they are stuck significantly behind teh others) that he is sure that Charla & Mirna used the Fast Forward...

So dialogue does suggest that the first one was used.

Now last year, when the first Yield wasn't used, when it was used in episode 10, Phil just says its a yield and what its about no comment about how many.

So I still kind of think the 2 fast forwards are now gone.

But there is still the chance that I am wrong (never).

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2007, 02:55:59 AM »
Just rewatch both clips, and there is no "if", involved.

D&O say good news to UJ that tehy aren't going for it, don't want it don't need, so its yours.

In Eric's I actually remembered it wrong, he says they are going for it even though by the time they get there the other teams will already be on leg 8, it continues for a bit between them and the guidos who say C&M will already have won and be at teh ATM cashing the check.

But both clips don't ever mention if there is a Fast Forward ont he leg, and as its the only leg to even mention it (besides of course the leg where we saw a fast forward used), I still really believe that there was one.

Offline amazing_hey

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »
so excitied.....
i want to watch the next epiosde as it is going to be famliar to me ....
bacause i live in hong kong....

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2007, 06:35:13 AM »
I'll include some Chinese signs later, but here's two I can decipher  :lol: : Swindon Book Co. is at 13 Lock road, not far from the Star ferry; and "Kiss My Kids" (frame is flipped for some reason) is an educational toy store that, according to this blog, is on Nathan road. The HK yellow pages lists the address as "Shun Lee Disciplined Serv Qtrs Coml Shopping Arc, Kwun Tong," whatever that means.

Just do some online research... there are 4 Kiss My Kids stores in HK (http://www.baby-kingdom.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=921214&forum=3&4 , from the post at 07-03-07 11:56). And from the picture you provided, I think it is really the one where the Chas passed by. With the phone number on that picture, I am sure that store is the Tsim Sha Tsui one. I will go there to have a look and take some pictures to confirm tonight.

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2007, 07:01:35 AM »
I don't think there would be a NEL before a TBC because the penalty would be so drawn out then...so it's probably going to be

TBC
NEL
ELIM

I also think that this is the most possible scenario. In fact, I personally believe that the Malaysian leg is supposed to be NEL, but since U/J were so far behind, they were not be able to do those tasks at night and not be able to catch up, the producers philiminated them to avoid any logistics problem... so poor... :groan:

And I remembered that Phil didn't mention how many FF are available in the race in the Poland leg, so I think most probably there would not be any FF in future legs.

Offline annielhy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2007, 08:19:50 AM »
Tsim Sha Tsui
(2nd-hand handbag shop - Milan Station in the pic)

(Milan Station - Tsim Sha Tsui branch - official photo)

Also, they HAVE to go to one of the following places to go to Macau
1. Sheung Wan (Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, by TurboJET or helicopter)
2. Tsim Sha Tsui (Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal, by Ferry)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2007, 08:34:51 AM »
 :welcome2:   annielhy! We are glad you are here!

I take it you are in Hong Kong too? You guys are doing great!

Have a look around this thread --we have a lot of the street addresses posted. Is Milan station a subway stop?

I'm working on a list of what we still need to figure out--so we can for sure use your help! Stick around!   :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline annielhy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2007, 09:13:47 AM »
:welcome2:   annielhy! We are glad you are here!

I take it you are in Hong Kong too? You guys are doing great!

Have a look around this thread --we have a lot of the street addresses posted. Is Milan station a subway stop?

I'm working on a list of what we still need to figure out--so we can for sure use your help! Stick around!   :waves:

Yes, I am from Hong Kong
Milan station is a famous 2nd-hand handbag shop.
The Milan station branch in the photo is in Tsim Sha Tsui.

I have read this entire thread already, so far so good.
Here are Hong Kong TAR forums in Chinese. Give a day or two, maybe some more locations can be identified by locals.
http://www11.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=3503228&page=43&extra=page%3D1
http://www.miniforum.org/showpost.fcgi?MGID=2087565&page=12&tempid=2

P.S. Milan station address: Shop F-H, G/F., 81 Chatham Rd., Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:18:01 AM by annielhy »

Offline annielhy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »
Transportation

Notes: "MTR (Mass Transit Railway)" is subway.

from new airport:
- Taxi: most expensive, could be traffic jam in tunnels
- Bus: slowest, cheapest, could be traffic jam in tunnels
- MTR(airport express): Fastest, nearly as expensive as taxi

from/to Kowloon City (old airport)
- Taxi: expensive
- Bus: cheaper, difficult to find bus station for non-locals

from/to Tsim Sha Tsui
- MTR: fastest
- Taxi: expensive, for sure traffic jam in cross harbour tunnel
- Bus: cheapest, Maybe faster than taxi in cross harbour tunnel

from/to Shau Kee Wan
- MTR: fastest, problem is how to walk to the destination from the station
- Taxi: expensive, for sure traffic jam in cross harbour tunnel
- Bus: cheapest, Maybe faster than taxi in cross harbour tunnel, difficult to find bus station for non-locals

to Sheung Wan (ferry to Macau)
- MTR: fastest, Pier is next to MTR station
- Taxi: expensive, for sure traffic jam in cross harbour tunnel and Causeway Bay/Wanchai/Central Area
- Bus: cheapest, Maybe faster than taxi in cross harbour tunnel, for sure traffic jam in Causeway Bay/Wanchai/Central Area

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »
Okay, TAR Detectives--wake up!  Time to   :geekon:

We still have LOTS to do!

Thanks to the awesome work of our on the site Hong Kong crew (neobie and serendipity and all, and Slowhatch of course)   we have made a very nice beginning!

Here's what I think we know/don't know so far:  (feel free to jump in here!)

Pitstop at Carcosa --moving on to HK

Photos of teams at the airport in KL
O/D buying tickets/ somewhere--would this be likely at the airport or would they more likely use a travel agent?

Thanks to apskip we have a good idea of what flights they might use:

FLIGHTS TO HONG KONG
Teams arrived at the Kuala Lumpur pitstop between about 2pm and 5pm on Dec. 10. I assume that they will be released 12 hours later and have the chioce of the earliest flights from KL to HK:

CI654 departs KUL 0750 arrives HKG 1155
MH72 departs KUL 0915 arrives HKG 1300
CX720 departs KUL 0935 arrives HKG 1330

There is also a CX flight at 1755 and a MH flight at 1845 if it happens to be a 24 hour extended pitstop. Each takes about 3 3/4 hours.

How would teams get from the airport to the car crash site and the Kung Fu site? How much time would they need for taxis vs public transportation? Pictures of HK Transport?

We need some times to help figure out which comes first --are  the car crash and the Kung Fu movie climb occuing at about the same times, suggesting Detour options?

Or could the car crash be a FF??

Chateau! We need Chateautime help please when you can!

Car crash option--would this be a shoutout to a movie too? Who/what company could arrange something like this? Can we track down the car or drivers or company and get confirmation??

The Kung Fu movie/bamboo climb may possibly be at Shau Kei Wan district since we know D/K were spotted getting a clue in front of a school there. Or-could this be where Kandice is kicking down doors?

We need a location for the bamboo climb! And if the stunt people are a shout out to the movie Rush Hour--who would have supplied them? What film group or stunt team? Can we find out who and get confirmation?

How are teams getting from place to place?  Taxi or public transport? Routes? Which is faster?In what looks like a Roadblock, what the heck is Kandice doing? The Rockette is using those legs to kick down a door-- where? Why? What is that peach colored thingy she is carrying? What will she do with it?

Are we going to need a PItstop? (I don't think so myself, since I think this will be a TBC)  If no Pitstop--where will Phil be to say "You are still racing"??

We have screenshots that have been identified in front of the Ritz--would this be a clue box location? Did anyone see anything? Could this be the Mat location?

We have photo ID at the Cultural Centre --is this another clue box location? Or are they there to catch the ferry? Beware--here there be dragons!   :lol:

We know the teams have to go to Macau, and we have them returning on the morning of the 14th with Phil on the Ferry.

Annielhy says:
Also, they HAVE to go to one of the following places to go to Macau
1. Sheung Wan (Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Pier, by TurboJET or helicopter)
2. Tsim Sha Tsui (Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal, by Ferry)

Is this why they are at the Cultural Centre? What times are the ferries? How much does it cost? Did anyone see anything? Can someone see if there was a filming permit for the ferries?

And then there is Macau for next week! puddin--can you open up that thread now please? I think our info is going to start to overlap! Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule: