Author Topic: Racing Report Leg #7 AS  (Read 6826 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing Report Leg #7 AS
« on: April 03, 2007, 01:53:53 AM »
Racing Report Leg 7 (#8 will be done tomorrow two legs equal death) :umn:

It is the 5th of December as teams enjoy a nice 36 hour Pit Stop, it’s a Tuesday.

Teams leave the Pit Stop of the Old Fort in Stone Town, Zanzibar (still love typing that). In the order they arrived.

1.  Charla & Mirna – 4:20am
2.  Oswald & Danny – 4:28am
3.  Uchenna & Joyce – 7:55am
4.  Dustin & Kandice – 8:00am
5.  Eric & Danielle – 3:15pm
6.  Joe & Bill – 7:01pm

Teams are provided $121.00 dollars for this leg of the race (Uchenna & Joyce).

Teams must fly nearly 5,000 miles to Warsaw Poland.  After they land they will take taxi’s and make their way to Czapski Palace and find a courtyard where (some poor, poor bastard, who I hope got paid by the hour) dressed as Frederic Chopin will be playing the piano.  Once they find the Palace and the musician teams will receive their next clue.

Charla & Mirna wait for Oswald and Danny to share a cab ride back to the hotel , they will in the morning make their travel arrangements as a group.

Kandice doesn’t realize that Chopin is a corpse currently. :lol3:

Uchenna & Joyce walkthrough town and go to a South African Airways Office (that Joyce spotted yesterday) to make arrangements.  They must wait briefly for the agent to arrive at 8:30am).

Charla & Mirna and Oswald & Danny make their way to the Holiday & Safari Travel Agency.

Dustin & Kandice go to the same travel agency and teams wait for it to open.

When it opens the agent answers the phone, we find out (as to all sets of teams) that Uchenna & Joyce are calling trying to make reservations over the phone will waiting for their agent to arrive.  The teams convince the agents to not handle the call.

Now welcome to Travel Hell, episode # 2. :groan:

Big Thanks and shout out to Apskip, after using a the web, I agree with all his choices except one, but I wasn’t able to find the actual connection flight.

Dustin & Kandice are the first to successfully get tickets.

They will arrive in Warsaw on the 6th at 9:15am.
PW 340 departs ZNZ 1230 arrives in JRO 1500
ET 804 departs JRO 1730 arrives in ADD 2850
ET 706 departs ADD 2340 arrives in FRA 0515
LH 3300 departs FRA 0740 arrives in WAW 0915

Next to book tickets (and it takes at least 4 hours) is Uchenna & Joyce.
Who are also scheduled to arrive on the same flight into Warsaw though through a series of different connections at 9:15am on the 6th.
PW 731 departs ZNZ 1315 arrives in DAR 1355
SA 189 departs DAR 1530 arrives in JNB 1815
SA 260 JNB 1710 arrives in FRA 0555
LH 3300 FRA 740 arrives in WAW 0915

Eric & Danielle leave the Pit Stop and arrive at the same travel agency that Dustin, Kandice, Oswald, Danny, Charla, and Mirna went to. And we discover more geography that Danielle doesn't know.  Yes Warsaw is in Poland.  You know for Eric being a bum, he generally has his geography down.

We discover Charla & Mirna & Oswald & Danny are still there and have been for over 7 hours. 

Eric wants to go to a different agency, they walk out, Danielle wants to stay they walk back in, but pushes them to still leave (Danielle, dear this isn’t how you make a point about a team member not listening to you.  If he says fine and goes back in, then you stay there and don’t harp). (:;) :meow:

But they then head to United Travel Agency where they are unable to get better tickets then the ones provided.

Charla & Mirna and Oswald & Danny finally manage to book tickets that get them into Warsaw at 9:40am on the 6th.
KQ 493 departs ZNZ 1445 arrives in NBO 1630
KL 566 departs NBO 1025 arrives in AMS 0530
LO 270 departs AMS 0740 arrives in Warsaw 0940

This by the way is the only flight that does match up perfectly with the Amazing Map.

Joe & Bill leave the Pit Stop and must scramble to make the provided tickets departure with Eric & Danielle.
TC7009 departs ZNZ 1955 arrives in JRO 2045 (and is mentioned on screen, though the map doesn’t include the stop at JRO).

We don’t have the rest of the provided flight info as the teams miss the provided connection in Kilimanjaro.

They must now what for a flight that leaves the morning of the 6th.
Condor 2265 departs JRO 0615 arrives in FRA 1645
LO 380 departs FRA arrives in Warsaw 2240

Nearly 11 and ½  hours later then the provided flights and 13 hours after O&D and C& Mirna arrive and 13 hours 25 minutes after D & K.  All through no fault of their own (twice now).

When Dustin & Kandice board from Frankfurt to Warsaw, they see Uchenna & Joyce who miss the connections.  They must take a later flight, and it could very likely be the original flight provided by the Producers.

It is the morning of the 6th.

Dustin & Kandice arrive in Frederic Chopin Airport in Warsaw at 9:07am
Where they make their way to Art Academy at Czapski Palace.

It is a Detour.

DETOUR - Perfect Angle or Perfect Pitch

In this detour teams have to choose between tasks related to two of Warsaw’s most celebrated historical figures.  The 19th Century composer Frederic Chopin and the first female scientist to win the Nobel Prize, Madame Marie Curie.

In Perfect Pitch:  Teams make their way ¾ of a mile to Pilsudski Palace and choose a grande piano.  Then they must use the provided tools (A turning lever and wedge mutes) to tune one key on the keyboard.  Once they concert pianist has played a piece of Chopin’s music and determined that the piano is in tune he will hand them their next clue.

In Perfect Angle (no Joyce and Charla & Mirna not Angel):  Teams make their way roughly ½ a mile to the Escada Boutique and pick up a male mannequin.  They will then transport the mannequin 400 yards ( :lol3:, ops spoiler) to the Panaramik Laboratory .  Once there they will have to use an X-Ray machine to locate a clue somewhere inside the mannequin, which must be positioned in a very specific angle for the mannequin to capture the name of their next clue’s destination.

Dustin & Kandice choose Perfect Pitch.

Charla & Mirna and Oswald and Danny arrive at 9:22am and get cabs in the following order.
2.  Charla & Mirna
3.  Oswald & Danny

Danny & Oswald locate the route marker and choose Perfect Pitch.

Dustin & Kandice complete the detour before any other team arrives (Okay yes, Michael your ladies ROCKED this leg). :yess:

Teams must figure out the name on the clue Jan II Sobieski Lazienki, refers to a monument commemorating Jan III Sobieski Lazienki where they will find their next clue.

Which no ones does, all teams simply give the name to the taxi driver who knows where it is.

When they arrive we happen upon an edited out roadblock which appears to have one team member paddle a paddle boat in Lazienski Park’s near Palace on the Water.

W don’t have the team member info on who completed the roadblock task with the exception of Danny.

They are then directed to search the Palace grounds for the Pit Stop.  Which by the way is never referred to on screen.  No nothing.  But it is on a Path near the Palace on the Water in Lazienski Park (Several poster worked on that G-Man, Puddin, Peach, Chateau, ect…).

Dustin & Kandice arrive at the Pit Stop.
1.  Dustin & Kandice with an arrival time of 10:54am.  They win a trip to Puerto Rico.
They completed today’s tasks in 1 hour and 41 minutes.   :jam:

Uchenna & Joyce arrive in Warsaw at 11:02am on the 6th (again very possible that it is the same final connection flight that was provided for teams.

They get to the route marker and choose Perfect Pitch.  They get lost and end up at The Chopin School of Arts.  Where they get directions to the detour’s location.

Oswald & Danny have broken two strings but they press on, while Charla & Mirna attempt it (Tone deaf is all I have to say). 

Oswald & Danny finally are judged to have the piano in tune (which by the way it wasn’t, but close enough for the judges).  And receive the clue to make their way to Jan II Sobieski Lazienki.

A side note, I shouldn’t be to critical as a Vocal Music student it is required to learn Piano, and often you are using piano’s for practice that get out of tune and must correct the problem yourself.  So we were taught how to do this.  And I sucked at it.  S I shouldn’t be critical.

Charla & Mirna decide to switch detours and try Perfect Angle.

After they have left Uchenna & Joyce arrive.

Danny completes the detour and they make their way to the Pit Stop
2.  Oswald & Danny - Who finish at 1:06pm on the 6th.  It took them 3 hours and 44 minutes to complete today’s tasks.

Uchenna & Joyce successfully tune the piano and receive their clue and make their way to the Lazienki Park.

Charla & Mirna have found Escada boutique.  And proceed on foot to the laboratory, but have great difficulty getting local assistance (I tell you I love these people).

Uchenna & Joyce finish the roadblock and make their way through the park to the Pit Stop.

3.  Uchenna & Joyce – Who finish at 2:26pm and took 3 hours and 24 minutes to complete today’s tasks (getting lost must have hurt them).

With a local guide Charla & Mirna locate Panaramik Laboratory and proceed to X-Ray their broken and damaged mannequin.  This must take them considerable time as the sun is going down before they successfully find the clue.  Probably around 3:40 or so.

They make their way to Lazienki Park complete the detour and make their way to the Pit Stop. 
4.  Charla & Mirna – Who finish at 4:50pm and took 7 hours and 28 minutes to complete today’s tasks.  (This will get some comments later).

Eric & Danielle ad Joe & Bill arrive in Warsaw at 10:40pm.
Teams get cabs in the following order.
5.  Joe & Bill
6.  Eric & Danielle

The Pit Stop for this leg is a standard 12 hour Pit Stop as it is now 10:54 and Dustin & Kandice are beginning the next leg which will take them to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

But I won’t break the 8th leg down until tomorrow so on with leg 7.

Teams finally arrive at Czapki Palace and find the same poor soul at the Piano (who is now hating all Americans who ever race on the Amazing Race).

Joe & Bill choose Perfect Angle and Eric & Danielle Choose Perfect Pitch.

We get to see Eric break a string and have them fail the test several times before they are cleared for the next tasks (they also weren’t quite on tune, but they were closer then Oswald & Danny).

We see Joe & Bill pick up their mannequins and get directions to the laboratory, and we see many, many different words that they X-Ray before the find the correct clue.
It is now 1:06am on the 7th of December and Oswald & Danny have left for the next leg.

Eric & Danielle complete the roadblock and make their way to the Pit Stop.
5.  Eric & Danielle - Who finish at 1:50am and took 3 hours and 10 minutes to complete the day’s tasks (2cd fastest of the day and with the provided transportation would have actually finished 3rd).

It is now 2:26am and Uchenna & Joyce are starting the next leg.

Joe & Bill complete the roadblock and make their way to the Pit Stop.
6.  Joe & Bill – Who finish at 3:32am and took 4 hours and 52 minutes to complete the day’s tasks).  They are the last team to arrive and are saved by a non elimination round.  They are now marked for elimination and either must finished first ( :lol3: ops spoiler) or must wait out a 30-minute penalty before being checked in.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:57:37 AM by mswood »

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing Report Leg #7 AS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:24:17 AM »
Team Reports

Dustin & Kandice:  Ladies congratulations you ran a near perfect leg.  You now get to enjoy the feeling of so many other teams over history who watch their vast lead dissipate into a mere 4 hour lead (which is still better than some teams manage.  But frankly, there is really nothing I can say bad about this teams performance, they wisely split to get their own ticket agent.  That helped them get the first possible flight.  But the wonders of the leg they run, is if they would have taken the provided flight.  They still would have finished the leg in first.  You keep a great attitude and were supportive to each other.  Great, great job.

Oswald Danny:  Well you ended in 2cd place, but really your performance was just middle of the road.  But even with the frustration of getting a good flight, and having trouble completing the detour you keep a positive spirit.  And guys stop flirting with the pianist…

Uchenna & Joyce:  You handled your flight situation well, and through no fault of your own ended up arriving 4th into the city.  After having trouble locating the correct detour location you two did surprisingly well.  You still are keeping fairly good spirits and generally doing events well.

Charla & Mirna:  Ladies you better by happy that two teams through no fault of their own weren’t able to make the provided flights.  Because if they had you would have easily been in 6th place.  And we all saw your performance in the next leg, you wouldn’t have been able to survive a 30-minute penalty.  You attitude with the locals was completely and totally out of line.  I actually wanted to see the locals slap the hell out of you with comments about the locals being unable to speak.  I mean it is bad enough that you invade the personal workspace of travel agents, but to be so pushy with locals and not allow for different costumes is really inexcusable.  That is by far, a worse sin then fighting within your team, or fighting with another team.  Absolutely Classless, Kendra says High.  On to your performance today.  At every point in this leg you failed (with the possible exception of the roadblock.  You took nearly three hours longer to complete the tasks then any other team.  This usually only occurs in legs, where part of the tasks is driving long distances (or rolling hay bales).  A complete Failure of a leg.

Eric & Danielle:  Well besides having trouble during down time getting along (and lets face it if this team is the “fighting couple” that is in ever normal season.  Then they behave better than any of the “Fighting couples” so far in the different seasons.  In a leg where their performance should have gotten them 2cd place, or at worst third if they arrived on provided tickets.  This team again suffers the worst out of the airport problems (I think them getting physically pulled off a plane bumps them slightly ahead of Joe & Bill).  Now as for your interactions.  Both of you need to learn how to relate to each other better.  Danielle getting upset in the start of the leg, when he went with your suggestion isn't ever going to help.  Eric don't object to $2.00, and Danielle, you have the money (from clips) if he says no, buy the damn thing anyway.  At the airport we see Danielle still angry with Eric and we see Eric trying to lighten the mood.  Ok guys, some times when someone is pissed.  THe best thing and only thing is to say sorry (even if we aren't or even if we really haven't done anything to diserve it) or to just leave them in peace and quiet.  Rules to leave buy, no charge.

Joe & Bill:  You were actually lucky to make the first flight, but your luck turned to crap by missing the connection.  You also had difficulty (though not to the degree of Charla & Mirna in completing today’s tasks.  You also make the mistake of not sticking with the other team in last place to try and stay on a level field (unless you didn’t think you could in any physical tasks that might appear then it is smart choosing a different task.  You also seemed to loose your cool the most out of the two teams in the travel nightmare.  Even getting angry with each other (something that really didn’t happen or get shown in season 1).  A poor leg, hurt even more by factors outside your control. 

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:30:29 AM »
mswood, great job of tracking a most complex leg. My one tiny correction is that the 1025 departure time from NBO for C/M and D/O was pm, so on the 24 hour clock it was 2225. It appears on later study that this error was caused by me initially. I have subsequently discovered, with the asistance of others on another forum, that there are a few other minor errors so here are the other corrections:

ET804 should be dep. 1830 arr. 2050

SA260 should be dep. 1910

I apologize for my typos that threw you off on these.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:35:56 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
mswood, this is the best read on the internet! You Rock :jam:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
mswood, great job of tracking a most complex leg. My one tiny correction is that the 1025 departure time from NBO for C/M and D/O was pm, so on the 24 hour clock it was 2225.

Apskip, thanks.

I tried to find a connection from FRA to WAW on the 6th for the later connection that Uchenna & Joyce had to take, but I had no damn luck.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »
Thanks for the email correction apskip.

Sorry it took so long to get to it, for some reasons my account is getting about 1000 emails a day (Time To reset my spam filter).  And I do save these for myself so I always appreciate corrections.

Don't worry about typos, have you read what I write.  Please, I am lucky to get a complete sentence out without typos.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:05:05 AM by mswood »

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 11:27:26 AM »

Well I am not able to modify the original post.

So just an post for corrections of the flight info.

Now welcome to Travel Hell, episode # 2. :groan:

Big Thanks and shout out to Apskip.

Dustin & Kandice are the first to successfully get tickets.

They will arrive in Warsaw on the 6th at 9:15am.
PW 340 departs ZNZ 1230 arrives in JRO 1500
ET 804 departs JRO 1830 arrives in ADD 2050
ET 706 departs ADD 2340 arrives in FRA 0515
LH 3300 departs FRA 0740 arrives in WAW 0915

Next to book tickets (and it takes at least 4 hours) is Uchenna & Joyce.
Who are also scheduled to arrive on the same flight into Warsaw though through a series of different connections at 9:15am on the 6th.
PW 731 departs ZNZ 1315 arrives in DAR 1355
SA 189 departs DAR 1530 arrives in JNB 1815
SA 260 JNB 1910 arrives in FRA 0555
LH 3300 FRA 740 arrives in WAW 0915

Charla & Mirna and Oswald & Danny finally manage to book tickets that get them into Warsaw at 9:40am on the 6th.
KQ 493 departs ZNZ 1445 arrives in NBO 1630
KL 566 departs NBO 2225 arrives in AMS 0530
LO 270 departs AMS 0740 arrives in Warsaw 0940

This by the way is the only flight that does match up perfectly with the Amazing Map.

Joe & Bill leave the Pit Stop and must scramble to make the provided tickets departure with Eric & Danielle.
TC7009 departs ZNZ 1955 arrives in JRO 2045 (and is mentioned on screen, though the map doesn’t include the stop at JRO).

We don’t have the rest of the provided flight info as the teams miss the provided connection in Kilimanjaro.

They must now wait for a flight that leaves the morning of the 6th.
Condor 2265 departs JRO 0615 arrives in FRA 1645
LO 380 departs FRA arrives in Warsaw 2240

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the email correction apskip.

Sorry it took so long to get to it, for some reasons my account is getting about 1000 emails a day (Time To reset my spam filter).  And I do save these for myself so I always appreciate corrections.

Don't worry about typos, have you read what I write.  Please, I am lucky to get a complete sentence out without typos.

THAT'S why you don't answer your mail then--I was spammed! So it isn't that you don't like me after all... ;D :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:52:45 AM »
Peach, yeah I currently have about 10,000 emails in my box.  It should be about 30 tops.  So its going to take a while to clear.

Really I love everyone, well except Michael and the BQ's, hehe.