Author Topic: EP9: - "The Way You Look, Yeah." (Thanks for the spoilers Izad)  (Read 155118 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP9: dedicated to Izad :)
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:16 PM »
PEACH:

The answer to your earlier question, now that I have had time to research it, is that the Zurich-based connection is destroyed. Also, the Amsterdam connection is totally changed to other flights that arriv 3 1/4 hours later. they are LO3312 to WAW. LO267 to AMS, BD112 to LHR and MH001 to LHR. The only connection that stays OK is the one through CDG.

Apskip--
Did you see this? I think it is in Krakow (??) and Dustin/Kandice say "I think they are not going to be able to make their flight" about U/J and then the editors flash to this--does it mean anything to you??

Sure, after careful study it does. There are two destinations that have possibilities for connections that make sense for getting to KUL. One is through Prague. Flight OK771 is shown on that board for 0650 departure. However, my information shows that the schedule is for it to depart KRK at 0530 except on Sundays and arrive PRG 0640. That is just in time to connect with OK758 departing PRG 0715 arriving CDG 0905. Out of CDG MH21 departs 1200 arriving KUL 0635. The late departure of OK771 would mess that all up. However, I am having a hard time understanding how either O/D or U/J could have made it onto a 0530 scheduled flight unless their bus trip to Auschwitz/Birkenau was much shorter than 4 hours (which is certainly could have been based on the real distance).

Now, the other scenario is through Warsaw with LO3910 departing KRK at 0600 arriving WAW 0640. The coonnection is on LO265 departing WAW 0740 arriving AMS 0945. Then, MH17 departing AMS 1200 arriving KUL 0605.

In both cases, any delays of the first flights would screw up the tight first connections. There is ample time in either CDG or AMS for the second connection onto thte long-haul Malaysian Airlines flights nonstop to Kuala Lumpur.

Offline charlierose

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
Re: EP9: - "The Way You Look, Yeah." (dedicated to Izad)
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2007, 10:19:37 PM »
Not exactly sure why they gave up on the cookies cause I wasn't 'statitoned' there.  ;) I personally don't like those cookies cause they make your mouth go dry pretty quickly.. but I'm guessing there's just to many cookies for them to eat? I don't know. but it would be kinda awesome to see more hurling  :lol:

Awesome spoiling.  You are the best.  Do you have more picture of the tasks???

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2007, 10:33:25 PM »
apskip--

Izad told us this

ARRIVAL
- Teams fly in from Poland
- Charla and Mirna were the first to arrive at KL International Airport around 4:30 am
- Chas/Beauty Queens/EricDanielle arrived at the KL International Airport around 7 am

and that U/J don't even arrive till the teams are on the way to the Pitstop.

I think based on that Mine lunch that the teams were already just 9 miles or so from Krakow if they stayed somewhere nearby there--it would really be backtracking for them to go back to the castle but possible--it looks a long way on the map but in is really under 20 miles all together. And the castle is on the airport side of town...

1) salt mines
2) Birkenau
3) Pieskowa

Airport on the NW side of Krakow

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2007, 10:36:16 PM »
There is a major problem with the hypothesis from Colby that says that teams could take OS8508(or its LOT code-share) at 0735 from KRK to VIE to connect with OS1 the nonstop arriving KUL 0445 Dec. 10. OS8508 does not operate on Saturdays and neither does OS1, including specifically Dec. 9.

The question of "How do Charla/Mirna get to KUL first?" is extremely perplexing since they should be at least 5 hours behind Oswald/Danny and Uchenna/Joyce at the start. The only way I can think is if it is a 24 hour extended pitstop (not the typical 36 hours) and that turns all the flight schedules into a shambles. I am going to look into this in the morning.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:20:49 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
Thanks!

Map for distance estimates

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2007, 10:49:06 PM »
fwiw

after show preview

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »
No Petronas towers? Aww.

Thanks for your team's proposed timeline of events, Izad. And good job to you guys!  :happy:

Just wondering on those cookies. What's it called? The local name's okay.
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2007, 10:58:38 PM »
I'm still waiting for a D/K and E/D feud to come up, because I remember way back on episode two Eric had his myspace name set to "I hope Charla bites those bitches knees" or something like that, but we've yet to see any indication of these two teams not liking each other.

Offline mylastduchess

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2007, 11:08:37 PM »
I'm still waiting for a D/K and E/D feud to come up, because I remember way back on episode two Eric had his myspace name set to "I hope Charla bites those bitches knees" or something like that, but we've yet to see any indication of these two teams not liking each other.

Maybe in the Finale? I'm still confused the only team left that has not finished in first this season, end up winning! I would die in happiness if the final 3 spoiler is wrong!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2007, 11:10:44 PM »
No Petronas towers? Aww.

I know! Wouldn't THAT have been an awesome rappel!

Izad--if there was a Yield--do you think you and your guys would have been able to see it?

That CBS clue  "One team is surprised and confused to discover themselves the target of another team" is screaming Yield to me...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2007, 11:11:58 PM »
Oh God, mylastduchess, NOTHING would make me more happy then to see the BQs win, but I don't think it's going to happen..If, by some miraculous twist of faith from god it does, I will be jumping up and down with joy for weeks!  :bunny

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2007, 11:13:06 PM »

Maybe in the Finale? I'm still confused the only team left that has not finished in first this season, end up winning! I would die in happiness if the final 3 spoiler is wrong!
Flo & Zach only won one leg but that was with the help of the fast forward and then went on to win the $$$$$$$$$
^^ same goes for Reichen & Chip.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:32:09 PM by puddin »

Offline mylastduchess

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2007, 11:16:02 PM »
Izad - how far ahead was the BQ, when C/M finished the task, and how did C/M finish ahead of the rest of the teams when they switched tasks?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2007, 11:32:11 PM »
:bunny Thanks Izad! And thanks to the "crew" as well. Found a picture (same intersection, I think) of the mosque in Kampung Baru (source page--the honey bbq chicken looks good  :js:).
Now it's off to find some decent KL street maps to make sense of it all.

Slowhatch, check out my previous postings #106 & #108 which I made earlier this morning.  You may find what you're looking for there.  "Department of Redundency Department".   :snicker:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2007, 11:45:14 PM »
Way to give me a nightmare!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2007, 11:57:31 PM »
Making Batik
Malaysia festive cookies?

the making batik one looks pretty hard.

You can see Danielle running up the stairs to the bridge Izad was referring to!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:04:01 AM by Michael D »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
So they did steal the batik thing from TARAsia?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2007, 12:34:37 AM »
Thanks, those maps are better than the Asiamaya maps I was using  :tup:. I've attached pushpins for the mosque, the Hartamas district and Negara (Batu caves is still under cloud cover); most of the tasks are close to each other.

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50:46 AM »
I'm pretty shattered that C/M lost their lead.. i was r eally really REALLY hoping for another C/M win this week..  :groan:
Oh well, as long as they win another leg before (or in cluding? :bunny) the finale, i will be happy.. how many more legs before the finale, not including next episode? Michael, your BQ's may win this time.. but C/M will be back!  :meow:

They are TOO HOT TO HANDLE  :luvya:  (BQ's must be wearing gloves?  :umn:)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2007, 01:10:35 AM »
Newspaper collection? This?

Sometimes they had a horn with them which they honked from time to time to announce their presence.

Oh, and public transport from KLIA to the city is tough enough (if you want to save money and skip the express rail service). From the city to Batu Caves using public transport? Close to impossible..! (Being the cheapskate backpacker I was, I tried searching and failed miserably...)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:49:10 AM by Neobie »

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2007, 02:05:33 AM »

So they did steal the batik thing from TARAsia?

yes it appears the batik task is the same from TARAsia.

the making batik one looks pretty hard.

It wasn't all that hard really from what I recall.  Each racer was given  a pattern of flowers that they had to trace out on a piece of cloth (silk I believe).  Once the pattern was traced they had to use paints to color in the pattern.  The colors had to match the example perfectly before they were given a clue. It took time and patience but it didn't appear that difficult.  There were a couple of teams who didn't follow directions and did random colors and they had to redo their the task.

I tried finding the clip on youtube but I couldn't find it.  I have the episode here on dvd.

Offline dtyz87

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2007, 07:29:33 AM »
festive cookies... could be for a malay, chinese or indian festival. generally these cookies are not that exotic where teams would not be able to indulge in it. my best guess would be Durian flavoured dodol. Not exactly a festive cookie but it is a local delicacy. I brought this to some international conference and most of the delegates there could not take this.. haha just my guess anyways

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »
haha, again, THANKS ROMEO:

OK, so maybe it's not EATING the cookies, they just have to search through a lot of them!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2007, 10:03:37 AM »
OK, my supplementary flight analyses are complete. First comes the background. The Salt Mine Lunch can only be explained by an Extended Pitstop in the Krakow area. The question is for how long? My answer to that question is that it must be only a 24 hour extended pitstop, not the 36 hour variety and I offer as a rationale the need for Phil and the crew to get some rest after the breakneck speed and extended hours of episodes 7 and 8. Phil, the crew for the Guidos and the crew for Eric/Danielle had just over 1 hour between the pitstop ending 7 and the beginning of 8. They needed more than the usual 12 hours.

I have examined all routes from Krakow to all cities having long-haul nonstop flights to Kuala Lumpur. This includes Vienna (OS1), Zurich (MH9), London (MH3), Paris CDG (MH21), Amsterdam (MH17), and Frankfurt (MH 5). On Saturdays, Vienna and Zurich don't have those flights and they can only redirect traffic to the other gateways so they are out. The action starts around 7pm Saturday night which is the earliest that Uchenna/Joyce or Oswald/Danny could be on a flight. If they can get it, this is a fabulous combination:

OK537/OK770 departing KRK 1905 through PRG arriving FRA 2255
QF6 departing FRA 2355 to Singapore arriving Dec. 9 1800
SQ616 departing SIN 1915 arriving KUL 2015

Either something must happen en route or no team is able to make these flights, as a team that did would invalidate Izad's observations.

The morning of Dec. 9 all teams that haven't left will be at KRK airport ready to get on the earliest flights. Their choices revolve around OK771 deaprting at 0530 from KRK arriving Prague 0640, which connects with these flights:

BA853  arriving LHR 0910  connecting MH3 departing 1200 arriving KUL 0725

OK758  arriving CDG 0905 connecting MH21 departing 1200 arriving KUL 0635

OK534 arriving FRA 0835 connecting MH5 departing 1230 arriving KUL 0625

For AMS, LO3910 departed KRK 0600 through WAW connecting with SP2365 (code-share with LOT) arriving AMS 0945.
MH17 then departs AMS 1200 arriving KUL 0605. This is the earliest possible arrival on Dec. 10 from Europe. Unless the teams were released prior to 1230am from the Castle pitstop, there is no way I can see for the 3 trailing teams to get to KUL any earlier. If it were a Friday, it would be different.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:17:35 AM by apskip »