Author Topic: EP6 updates and chat  (Read 33486 times)

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
Re: EP6 updates and chat
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »
On another note, did you see his face when Erick and Daniel were at the pitstop. He looked as if he just woke up. jaja.  :happy:

I noticed that too.  The Zanzibar native wasn't there to greet them.  Poor Phil.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »
Just got back from work. Well, wrong again  :lol:; congrats to Apskip and Puddin for sussing out the long dhow ride. I'm checking the weather underground for anything that might have held up the boats. So everyone's agreed that the fort is our "grassy area"?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2007, 09:38:05 PM »
Just got back from work. Well, wrong again  :lol:; congrats to Apskip and Puddin for sussing out the long dhow ride. I'm checking the weather underground for anything that might have held up the boats. So everyone's agreed that the fort is our "grassy area"?

SLOWHATCH, I wouldn't bother checking the weather. What you saw was a producer-invented strategic delay to make sure that what happened in Thailand in AR1 did not happen in Tanzania in AR11. There was no really bad weather. They just wanted to slow down Charla/Mirna and Oswald/Danny so that did not get too far ahead(and I incorrectly said in another post earlier today that they don't do this except with airplane flights or boarding). They are almost 24 hours ahead of Joe/Bill right now, but only about 12 hours ahead of Eric/Danielle as best I can figure it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Knights? Wooded forest? Toto--I don't think we are in Tanzania any more! Poland or another Eastern Europe country? Looked like the Grimm Brothers to me--where are they from???

Where is G-Man??

PEACH, the second hour of next week's episodes is going to be POLAND. However, the first week is still unknown. I think there may be a task or two in Zanzibar City before leaving for Nairobi. Then I expect a pitstop in Nairobi which may be TBC or NEL. Then on to Warsaw.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 04:59:42 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2007, 10:07:21 PM »
Oh--NEXT week is the double feature--thanks!

You don't think Nairobi is too touristy? I've spent quite a bit of time there and it is very much a crossroads with loads of expats--I just think it would make our teams way too visible for TPTB this season, since they have really seemed to try to go to out of the way, less touristy places so far to keep our guys a little less visible.

I can see them flying out of here or Dar though...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
An hour an a half time difference! :groan: :groan: :groan:

Peach, no big deal but it's 10 mins short of 2 hours.

9:55, Charla/Mirna leave Joburg for Dar.

11:45 am, Joburg sees the other six teams on standby for Dar.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2007, 09:15:59 AM »
Here's something from The Early Show: Teri stated that they finished at the pitstop just 2 to 3 minutes behind Joe/Bill. Their time lost at the puzzle was almost made up by Joe/Bill getting lost at the Old Fort finding the correct entrance.

Teri also made the statement that it was bad luck with the airlines in Johannesburg that caused them to be eliminated. I will just point out that the 4 teams that snuck upstairs and worked the South African Airways(or was it Air Tanzania?; it's a code share flight) office all got converted into seats because they had earlier times on the standby list while Ian/Teri and Joe/Bill who stayed at the gate did not get into the standby list until later and didn't get high enough priority. So much for LUCK.

Also, guess who showed up as the last guests on Regis and Kelly this morning? DAVID and MARY! I didn't see it as I was viewing my tape of The Early Show, but they were on last after Borat, who did fabulous schtick with Regis on the street in Manhattan.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2007, 09:46:36 AM »
I have due to the fine efforts of another forum discovered the mileage from Zanzibar Town to Kikungwe where the rungu toss Roadblock took place. It was slightly less than 25 km or about 15 miles. The driving time of 30 minutes used in my earlier timeline is a decent estimate for that distance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:57:37 PM by apskip »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »
Here's something from The Early Show: Teri stated that they finished at the pitstop just 2 to 3 minutes behind Joe/Bill. Their time lost at the puzzle was almost made up by Joe/Bill getting lost at the Old Fort finding the correct entrance.

Teri also made the statement that it was bad luck with the airlines in Johannesburg that caused them to be eliminated. I will just point out that the 4 teams that snuck upstairs and worked the South African Airways(or was it Air Tanzania?; it's a code share flight) office all got converted into seats because they had earlier times on the standby list while Ian/Teri and Joe/Bill who stayed at the gate did not get into the standby list until later and didn't get high enough priority. So much for LUCK.

Also, guess who showed up as the last guests on Regis and Kelly this morning? DAVID and MARY! I didn't see it as I was viewing my tape of The Early Show, but they were on last after Borat, who did fabulous schtick with Regis on the street in Manhattan.

Look again at Regis and Kelly.  He is still recovering from quadruple heart by-pass surgery.  R and K most often have a repeat on Monday mornings when they are out doing other sticks over the weekend.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2007, 03:47:07 PM »
Knights? Wooded forest? Toto--I don't think we are in Tanzania any more! Poland or another Eastern Europe country? Looked like the Grimm Brothers to me--where are they from???

Where is G-Man??

PEACH, the second hour of next week's episodes is going to be POLAND. However, the first week is still unkown. I think there may be a task or two in Zanzibar City before leaving for Nairobi. Then I expect a pitstop in Nairobi which may be TBC or NEL. Then on to Warsaw.
I think you meant unknown apskip.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2007, 07:56:17 PM »
uh-oh--

if we start grading on spelling mswood and I are in big trouble too! :lol: :rotf: :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2007, 08:57:08 PM »
NEXT TIME ON .. THE AMAZING RACE:

Charla trundles around in knight's garb, then gets tossed off a horse.   

I've rewatched several times and I think Charla was nudged by the horse and fell over.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »
uh-oh--

if we start grading on spelling mswood and I are in big trouble too! :lol: :rotf: :lol:
I didn't start it  :lol: but be warned!  ..the spell police are watching :hides

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2007, 09:13:38 PM »
I didn't start it   but be warned!  ..the spell police are watching

What about the grammar police? I imagine it would be called the "spelling" police!  :rotf:

HAHAHA, I'm joking puddin :P

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:07 PM »
 :rotf: I write like I talk I guess or is that speak? lol would you believe I have a NY accent?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2007, 09:30:29 PM »
LOL no I never would've guessed

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »
Yeah and I live in PA  :lol: ..I'm pretty unique  :angel:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »
When I was a young one I sounded like I was from New York too, yet I'm from Toronto!

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2007, 01:30:16 PM »

SLOWHATCH, I wouldn't bother checking the weather. What you saw was a producer-invented strategic delay to make sure that what happened in Thailand in AR1 did not happen in Tanzania in AR11. There was no really bad weather. They just wanted to slow down Charla/Mirna and Oswald/Danny so that did not get too far ahead(and I incorrectly said in another post earlier today that they don't do this except with airplane flights or boarding). They are almost 24 hours ahead of Joe/Bill right now, but only about 12 hours ahead of Eric/Danielle as best I can figure it.

I agree that:

- the producers held up the dhows...not only to prevent a runaway team, but also to prevent a logistical nightmare.  (Phil would have to "greet" folks 24-36 hours apart - on different continents - he's good...but not THAT good).

- the "grassy area" (with those pesky mosquitoes) was in the old Fort.  Since he had to fly BACK from (Kenya?) & teams were going to come in at intervals throughout the night (& early morning of the next day), production probably just parked in on the field for the 12-18 hour period.

- this was THE long interval (15 hours?) between first (C/M) & last (Guido) placed teams that Phil mentioned in his interview. 

- Nairobi will NOT be used for tasks...maybe a place for a stopover (& as importantly a place for R&R and some needed bunching).  It was mentioned on another thread of a very nice hotel / safari type lodge was "thanked".

Except for a couple of hours here or there, all teams (& even production) havent' seen a bed for over 2 days.  (& I don't think Guido has seen on seen a bed for 3 days).  Look for a little R&R in Nairobi & then on to Poland for 2 tasks, the TBC mat & then 2 additional tasks prior to the pit stop. 

:umn:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:42:04 PM by hound 109 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »
Wecome hound109!

I'm still not convinced about Nairobi for anything but possibly a flight/airport thing. And IIRC, the lodge thanked was in Arusha, Tanzania so I expect that they may just omit that leg of the race entirely. There goes our best chance of Safari type tasks!

Teri/Ian mentioned on the Finish Line that they had either three total nights without sleep or two airport nights + the dhow trip--I think it was 3 total but will have to check to be sure. Sounds like everyone was taken by surprise that airline tickets were so hard to come by due to the Hajj.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »
Wecome hound109!

I'm still not convinced about Nairobi for anything but possibly a flight/airport thing. And IIRC, the lodge thanked was in Arusha, Tanzania so I expect that they may just omit that leg of the race entirely. There goes our best chance of Safari type tasks!

Teri/Ian mentioned on the Finish Line that they had either three total nights without sleep or two airport nights + the dhow trip--I think it was 3 total but will have to check to be sure. Sounds like everyone was taken by surprise that airline tickets were so hard to come by due to the Hajj.
  Thanks georgiapeach!  (& everyone can call me hound...or noob...or %$#@&%$*#@  (:;))

It looked like to me that Teri & Ian and team Guido each spent two airport nights (maybe they slipped away the second night to a hotel...does anyone know?) & then spent the next night - 1. on the dhow to Zanzibar 2. Doing the puzzle task 3. Tossing the thing-a-mi-job & 4. Checking in the next morning.  Three incredibly exhausting days (especially for 4 folks in their 50's).  Almost TAR 1 worthy (no indian train trip though).

& didn't Ian & Terri present themselves great this time around.  Maybe they got a good edit, but I also bet that they (especially Ian) made a point of showing their good side.  (also, didn't he just quit smoking back on TAR 3?  That might have made him nutty too.)  All in all a great show for them.   :tup:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »
I love Teri & Ian ..they are great people and were running strong  :luvya: