Author Topic: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"  (Read 155493 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP7/EP8 "If I Were In Town, I Would Ask For Your Number"
« Reply #600 on: April 02, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »

It took D & K just 1 hour 41 minutes (they rocked this leg, really rocked it)

And then got royally screwed by TPTB who made them wait 14 hours until the first charter bus left at 1:00PM.  Wonder why, no I know why, TPTB held up the first bus departure until 1:00PM instead of a more normal departure of 7:00AM.  After a four hour drive this would have put the teams into Auschwitz at around 11:00AM instead of after sunset.  Then they could have used better all the daylight footage they obviously had shot in preperation for this visit.  Of course, if the second bus left four hours later (11:00AM) only C/M would have been on that one:  then TPTB would have to charter another bus which would  leave another four hours (3:00PM) later which would include E/D  and then still another bus at 7:00PM for tailendersanJ/B who didn't leave the pitstop until 3:32PM.

GMAN, my hypothesis for why is that there are a lot of tourists in the areas that the Amazing Race wanted to use for fliming during daily open hours. To avoid that and preserve the dignity of the brief interlude at Auschwitz/Birkenau, they scheduled the visit for 5pm and later. The use of the charter bus guaranteed that the first 3 teams would not arrive before 5pm. I actually don't believe that it was a deliberate attempt to minimize the time gaps between teams.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #601 on: April 02, 2007, 11:11:55 AM »
some pictures

Offline wifeofUSMCsgt

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #602 on: April 02, 2007, 11:27:35 AM »
Though I thought the bunching with the charters was a bit hairy, I "think" ??? the reason behind it was because they wanted them to arrive at night as to not disrupt the normal hours of opperation/other tourists. They probably didn't want the other daytime tourists to be distracted at such a sacred sight......just a thought   :dknow

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #603 on: April 02, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »

It took D & K just 1 hour 41 minutes (they rocked this leg, really rocked it)

And then got royally screwed by TPTB who made them wait 14 hours until the first charter bus left at 1:00PM.  Wonder why, no I know why, TPTB held up the first bus departure until 1:00PM instead of a more normal departure of 7:00AM.  After a four hour drive this would have put the teams into Auschwitz at around 11:00AM instead of after sunset.  Then they could have used better all the daylight footage they obviously had shot in preperation for this visit.  Of course, if the second bus left four hours later (11:00AM) only C/M would have been on that one:  then TPTB would have to charter another bus which would  leave another four hours (3:00PM) later which would include E/D  and then still another bus at 7:00PM for tailendersanJ/B who didn't leave the pitstop until 3:32PM.

GMAN, my hypothesis for why is that there are a lot of tourists in the areas that the Amazing Race wanted to use for fliming during daily open hours. To avoid that and preserve the dignity of the brief interlude at Auschwitz/Birkenau, they scheduled the visit for 5pm and later. The use of the charter bus guaranteed that the first 3 teams would not arrive before 5pm. I actually don't believe that it was a deliberate attempt to minimize the time gaps between teams.

Sorry, but I think it was a deliberate attempt to "bunch up" the teams.  As it was the BQ's in effect had a 26 hour pit stop! (a 12 hour mandatory rest period and then waiting 14 hours for the bus.)  If TPTB wanted to delay arrival at Auschwitz (a good idea) why not have a 24 hour pit stop?  Trouble there is that while the first two teams could be together on the first bus leaving at say  2:00PM, and two teams leaving at 6:00PM, the final two teams if they travelled together would not leave until 10:00PM.  Or, they could have early departures and gone to Krakow first to do the tasks there and then on to Auschwitz and then the castle.  No, it was an attemapt to bunch up so the last place teams would not fall that far behind.

Note to future racers:  when having the choice stay away from any kind of food challenge (ask Rob about that) in every case it has been a disaster.  Wlhy not go on to the bakery, you didn't have to eat anything there. Especially with Charla, and the teams did know what they had to do before they chose the detour task they wanted.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #604 on: April 02, 2007, 11:41:16 PM »
Well GMan it does happen and it generally happens in every season.  Season 9 Eric & Jeremy had a ten hour lead.  That got immediately eat up in waiting for arranged buses (when teams could have drove themselves to teh airport).  Then teams had another few hours ate up at the airport, teams tehn had an immediate hoh hold up over nearly 10 hours.  For a total of nearly 24 hours of equlilzers before the first tasks of that leg started.

So it does happen, and it is planned in advance to give massice bunch up points to teh teams.  I mean even in the first season in India their was a huge planned bunch.  So its happen from the very first season.

Now do we know they do this before or during the race, who knows but it is clearly a part of the race.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #605 on: April 03, 2007, 12:58:40 AM »
I should be at 2000 in another day or so.....

:lol:

I believe it!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #606 on: April 03, 2007, 01:24:05 AM »
Now do we know they do this before or during the race, who knows...
I'll pitch my tent in Gman's camp on this issue. The phony bad weather is proof enough that nobody wanted a time-spread like that. I'll guess that while the racers were relaxing in Zanzibar the production staff was in panic mode, spending half their time re-confirming reservations/commitments/resources and the other half in "what do we do now?" meetings.

Offline hound 109

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #607 on: April 04, 2007, 10:46:46 AM »
Now do we know they do this before or during the race, who knows...
I'll pitch my tent in Gman's camp on this issue. The phony bad weather is proof enough that nobody wanted a time-spread like that. I'll guess that while the racers were relaxing in Zanzibar the production staff was in panic mode, spending half their time re-confirming reservations/commitments/resources and the other half in "what do we do now?" meetings.
  This is EXACTLY what i think too. 

And of course even THOSE plans were possibly screwed up when Guido & E/D missed the plane at Kiliminjaro.

The Bus Ride to Birkenau provided the ultimate bunch....but based on the hours of operation (mentioned on another thread) at Birkanau, it's possible even those bus rides were likely pushed back.  (since the hours of "closing" was 3pm)   B:)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #608 on: April 08, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »
Okay--I totally can't remember if we ever figured out about how far apart the teams checked in at the "knightly" roadblock.  Does anybody have an idea? Did we ever figure this out--since it was night I'm guessing we didn't have any Chateautime.... ???...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »
I'm not sure peach, but the good thing is we will know by tonight!  :yess:

I'm so excited! And thanks to Easter I don't have school tomorrow so I can stay up late and watch the insider videos and elimination station, AND tomorrow I can watch the finish line and the mat chats and pit stop cams and the web promo....

Talk about obsessed. I got all my friends into TAR though, so that's cool.

Typesalot

« Reply #610 on: April 09, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »
I got all my friends into TAR though, so that's cool.

Took me years, but one by one, I finally got my family into TAR as well. My husband is a piano technician, so he loved the tuning detour. He was impressed with D/K and grimaced hugely when O/D cranked the tuning hammer about 90 degrees. And laughed at C/M's antics -- they sure left a mess behind!