Author Topic: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."  (Read 131931 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."
« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »
Well it sounds like from two clips that there was a Fast Forward.  It looks like none of the early teams used it since they were significantly ahead (save it for later), while none of the back teams used it since they assumed the others did and teh attempt would put them further back and possible out of the race.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #426 on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:50 PM »
Good find Slowhatch!!  :jumpy:
Slowhatch..
Can you snag the Chas confessional for me in the spoiler boards?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #427 on: March 25, 2007, 11:57:03 PM »
Well it sounds like from two clips that there was a Fast Forward.  It looks like none of the early teams used it since they were significantly ahead (save it for later), while none of the back teams used it since they assumed the others did and teh attempt would put them further back and possible out of the race.
I got the feeling that there wasn't one mswood just that they talked about it? Thats my take anyway and I'm always wrong  :lol:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:09 AM »
Puddin, I think there had to be.  THe first one with Joyce & Uchenna & Oswald & Danny sems like just a maybe.  But this is all before the teams get out in front (maybe Charla & Mirna have left, but it looksl ike its still the night).

But later with Eric & Danielle & the Guidos, Its after the lead teams have left, and they even joke about how Charla & MIrna are probably 3 days ahead, and how they aren't going to go for it.  Sounds a lot more definite.

And it makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Charla & Mirna wants that get to the location know they are ahead.  Even at the docks they know they will be three hours ahead.

Uchenna & Joyce Oswald & Danny, Dustin & Kandice all know they are significantly ahead of the next group (much more then the 30 minutes they have to worry about).

So why do it.  You waste it.

Erc & Danielle who are just a couple hours ahead of the last two teams it makes no sense for them, if they feel the early teams might have gone for it.

And with the back two teams, again.  You can't give up the time, just on the off hand chance that not one of the 5 other teams took it.

Now I could be wrong (Ha, Never).  But I bet I am right.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2007, 12:25:43 AM »
You mean this thing, Puddin? This is the best I can do now. I might have better resolution in 24 hrs. Just a guess: Macau.
Or maybe malaysia. Maybe that's a flag next to his ear.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2007, 12:29:48 AM »
thats it Slowhatch  :kissy: ..
they are awful dressed up too don't you think?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #431 on: March 26, 2007, 12:36:49 AM »
Nevermind!!

EP1 from tarflies gallery  :groan:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2007, 01:19:15 AM »
Google Earth has one it's ultra high rez pockets in Zanzibar.  You can see kids and cats.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP7/EP8
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2007, 01:26:04 AM »
Oh and Chateau here's hoping you can get some shadows off of the long shots of Phil to get arrival times for at least three teams (charla & Mirna, Oswald & Danny and The Guidos to give us a time frame to work with.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2007, 01:32:36 AM »
What date are we on in TAR time?

PUDDIN, the Charla/Mirna and Oswald/Danny and Uchenna/Joyce and Dustin/Kandice arrivals at the dock in Dar-es-Salaam were on Saturday Dec. 2. Their trips across to Zanzibar and finsh at the pitstop were all on Sunday Dec. 3.
Eric/Danielle arrived at the dock Sunday late afternoon and finished up 3 hours behind U/J adn D/K Sunday night.
Joe/Bill and Ian/Teri got across to Zanzibar late Sunday night, but hours of operation stopped them until Monday morning Dec. 4 at the museum. After that, they went through the rungu toss and to the pitstop fairly quickly.

I predict that there will be a mass bunching of the top 5 teams getting to the next site, which I still think has to be Africa and probably in the Nairobi area. The Guidos will be left behind because they are almost 24 hours behind C/M and O/D and about 20 hours behind U/J and D/K.

Apskip, how do you figure Eric & Dnaielle are only 3 hours back from D & K and U & J and I don't recall an hours of operation.  Am i missing somethinI mean not having check the time to travel.  But with a three hour difference between boats 1 and two and the 2cd boat departing at 8:30 am.  I would assume that there is still a three hour difference between teh 3rd and 4th boat, but that isn't known.  What is known is that they departed before Sunset, which should be 6 something p.m so Eric & Dee could ahve left around 5pm.

But thats a whole 8 and a half hours difference in time of departure.

I mean just from this, if no delays due to any variables that I am unaware of and if teams all took roughlyt he same time to travel and do taks.  Then we should see that

Charla & Mirna & Oswald and Danny check in late afternoon that day (notice the long shadows on Phil.  So I guess around 4:30pm

Then add a three hour and a half hour gap with U&J (due to penality) and doing all the same taks.

So I would guess a time of 8:00 pm
Dustin & Kandice probably around 15-30 minutes later.

And then Eric & Danielle at roughly at nearly 12 hours after Charla & Mirna & Oswald & Danny at say 3:30 (or maybe the mention 3am from Phil's interview (having to go back out a 3 am to check in a team.).

Then Guidos say 2 and a half or 3 hours after that.  For a time after Sunrise say at around 6:30am to 7:00 am.

If I am even close to being correct it still leaves the first group a nearly unheard of lead of around 14-15 hours over the last team.  Of course this could be the 17 hour mentioned or that could be a later leg.

SO comeon Chateau, apskip show me where I 've screwed up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:46:46 AM by mswood »

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #435 on: March 26, 2007, 01:43:40 AM »
You mean this thing, Puddin? This is the best I can do now. I might have better resolution in 24 hrs. Just a guess: Macau.
Or maybe malaysia. Maybe that's a flag next to his ear.
Yeah, the flag next to Danny's ear looks awfully like the Malaysian flag.

just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #436 on: March 26, 2007, 02:43:48 AM »
I think you got it about right.  I think Charla & Mirna checked in roughly in the 3 to 5 pm range and Teri & Ian checked out in the 6:30 to 7:30 am range.  I'll get better estimates later on.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #437 on: March 26, 2007, 03:04:28 AM »
With Slowhatch's lead it is pretty clear to me that Charla & Mirna triggered a "hold everything" reaction from production by being able to use the first dhow the day before.  The leg was originally planned to end in Arusha using some charter flights that would leave after the rungu toss.  I suspect the fish puzzle/log trucking detour was a planned contingency for just this situation.  That and putting the pit stop in the old fort.  Phil and production knew that they could have come back to Stone Town later than 3 AM and still met Charla & Mirna at the new pit stop.  They would need to be there from about 12 noon onward to be sure just in case the boat transport went fast.

Maybe the dhows were just really slow on this day.  How long is it supposed to take?  It looks like it took some teams 6 hours (WAG).  But anyway, production could see the dreaded 24  hour gap forming between first and last teams as soon as Charla & Mirna sweet talked their way onto the flight out of Jo-Burg.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #438 on: March 26, 2007, 07:17:38 AM »

PUDDIN, the Charla/Mirna and Oswald/Danny and Uchenna/Joyce and Dustin/Kandice arrivals at the dock in Dar-es-Salaam were on Saturday Dec. 2. Their trips across to Zanzibar and finsh at the pitstop were all on Sunday Dec. 3.
Eric/Danielle arrived at the dock Sunday late afternoon and finished up 3 hours behind U/J adn D/K Sunday night.
Joe/Bill and Ian/Teri got across to Zanzibar late Sunday night, but hours of operation stopped them until Monday morning Dec. 4 at the museum. After that, they went through the rungu toss and to the pitstop fairly quickly.

I predict that there will be a mass bunching of the top 5 teams getting to the next site, which I still think has to be Africa and probably in the Nairobi area. The Guidos will be left behind because they are almost 24 hours behind C/M and O/D and about 20 hours behind U/J and D/K.

Apskip, how do you figure Eric & Dnaielle are only 3 hours back from D & K and U & J and I don't recall an hours of operation.  Am i missing somethinI mean not having check the time to travel.  But with a three hour difference between boats 1 and two and the 2cd boat departing at 8:30 am.  I would assume that there is still a three hour difference between the 3rd and 4th boat, but that isn't known.  What is known is that they departed before Sunset, which should be 6 something p.m so Eric & Dee could ahve left around 5pm.

I mean just from this, if no delays due to any variables that I am unaware of and if teams all took roughlyt he same time to travel and do taks.  Then we should see that

Charla & Mirna & Oswald and Danny check in late afternoon that day (notice the long shadows on Phil.  So I guess around 4:30pm

Then add a three hour and a half hour gap with U&J (due to penality) and doing all the same taks.

And then Eric & Danielle at roughly at nearly 12 hours after Charla & Mirna & Oswald & Danny at say 3:30 (or maybe the mention 3am from Phil's interview (having to go back out a 3 am to check in a team.).

Then Guidos say 2 and a half or 3 hours after that.  For a time after Sunrise say at around 6:30am to 7:00 am.

If I am even close to being correct it still leaves the first group a nearly unheard of lead of around 14-15 hours over the last team.  Of course this could be the 17 hour mentioned or that could be a later leg.

mswood, your assumptions may be more correct than mine. Here are my assumptions and analysis in a little more detail:

1. Dhows leave DAR dock at 530am (C/M, O/D), 830am (U/J, D/K), around 530pm (E/D) and 830pm (I/T, J/B), but museum was not open after 10pm(assume it opened 6am).
2. Crossings take 6 (I/T) to 9 (D/K) hours. Some may have taken more, but there is no way to know which ones. I will use 6 except for D/K and U/J
3. From west coast Zanzibar island to the museum was supposed to be 1/3 mile on foot, 5 minutes. Logs were 2 miles by taxi, then 1 mile by cart.
4. Puzzle looked like it could be done in less than 20 minutes by a sharp team(U/J or J/B) or 30 minutes for a slow one like Ian/Teri.
5. Logs could be done in about 40 minutes to get to the source, load, travel, and unload.
6. Distance to rungu toss was 15 miles or 30 minutes.
7. Rungu toss looked like to took 10 to 30 minutes.
8. Trip back to Old Fort, Stonetown would probably be in the 30 minute range.

Add it up and you get:
C/M finish line at 1400.
O/D finish line at 1410.
U/J finish line at 1945.
D/K finish line at 2015.
E/D finish line at 0125.
J/B finish line at 0740.
I/T finish line at 0745.

With this detail, I get 17 hours, 40 minutes as the lead Charla/Mirna have over Joe/Bill. The key to this is the assumption that the museum closed for 8 hours. This was substantiated by the fact that they were in daylight when exiting the museum, which if they went out around 0230 would have been impossible.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:47:51 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #439 on: March 26, 2007, 07:30:27 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the mystery pitstop or just the next destination, but I'll throw it in this thread. Producers give "special thanks" to the Moivaro Lodge in Arusha, which would maybe be 2 hrs. by plane.

Good catch, SLOWHATCH. That appears to be Mt. Kilimanjaro in the background. If it's the next area of action, then we are headed for the Kenya/Tanzania border and probably will see teams fly into Nairobi unless there are charters arranged(that Big Bunch for the top 5 would fit that scenario really well).

Offline hakushu8

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #440 on: March 26, 2007, 07:50:15 AM »
Er, apskip... what museum? The Solve It detour was done in an inn, namely the Beyt al Chai. Picture below shows the reception area, which looks like the place where the teams did the task. And since it's an inn, I think it would be open overnight.

And I guess this is further evidence that the pit stop from last leg wasn't supposed to be the one. I'm not sure if this has been said already, but here goes. The cluebox looking device (silver in color) that's usually beside Phil/greeter when they're waiting at the pit stop (I just used this one from Ep. 4 as a reference) can't be seen at all in the pit stop. I think they didn't have time to transport it to Zanzibar, even though the pit stop is still in Tanzania.

just dance
~*~

Offline hakushu8

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #441 on: March 26, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
Yay! Charla/Mirna back in Arusha! Kibaoni and Kavishe, here they come again! :lol3:
just dance
~*~

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #442 on: March 26, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »
I rewatched and didn't see where anyone had to wait for anything to open to do the puzzle.  I am tired after working all night so I may have missed it again.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #443 on: March 26, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »
mswood, your assumptions may be more correct than mine. Here are my assumptions and analysis in a little more detail:

1. Dhows leave DAR dock at 530am (C/M, O/D), 830am (U/J, D/K), around 530pm (E/D) and 830pm (I/T, J/B), but museum was not open after 10pm(assume it opened 6am).
2. All crossings take about 3.5 hours. Some may have taken more, but there is no way to know which ones.
3. From west coast Zanzibar island to the museum was supposed to be 1/3 mile on foot, 5 minutes. Logs were 2 miles by taxi, then 1 mile by cart.
4. Puzzle looked like it could be done in less than 20 minutes by a sharp team(U/J or J/B) or 40 minutes for a slow one like Ian/Teri.
5. Logs could be done in about 40 minutes to get to the source, load, travel, and unload.

Add it up and you get:
C/M finish line at 1100.
O/D finish line at 1110.
U/J finish line at 1345.
D/K finish line at 1415.
E/D finish line at 2225.
J/B finish line at 0740.
I/T finish line at 0755.

With this detail, I get 10 hours, 40 minutes as the lead Charla/Mirna have over Joe/Bill. The key to this is the assumption that the museum closed for 8 hours. This was substantiated by the fact that they were in daylight when exiting the museum, which if they went out around midnight would have been impossible.

Great timeline! :happy: :wohoo:

However, I think your math is off.  Based on your numbers above, Charla/Mirna are 21 hr ahead (11 am Day1 - 8 am Day2).

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #444 on: March 26, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »
gator27, you are absolutely right with
However, I think your math is off.  Based on your numbers above, Charla/Mirna are 21 hr ahead (11 am Day1 - 8 am Day2).
 I meant 20 hours, 40 minutes (my math skills are exceedingly good), but my typing and proofreading skills suck.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #445 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »

Apskip, how do you figure Eric & Dnaielle are only 3 hours back from D & K and U & J and I don't recall an hours of operation.  Am i missing somethinI mean not having check the time to travel.  But with a three hour difference between boats 1 and two and the 2cd boat departing at 8:30 am.  I would assume that there is still a three hour difference between teh 3rd and 4th boat, but that isn't known.  What is known is that they departed before Sunset, which should be 6 something p.m so Eric & Dee could ahve left around 5pm.

2. All crossings take about 3.5 hours. Some may have taken more, but there is no way to know which ones.
4. Puzzle looked like it could be done in less than 20 minutes by a sharp team(U/J or J/B) or 40 minutes for a slow one like Ian/Teri.

Add it up and you get:
C/M finish line at 1100.
O/D finish line at 1110.
U/J finish line at 1345.
D/K finish line at 1415.
E/D finish line at 2225.
J/B finish line at 0740.
I/T finish line at 0755.

With this detail, I get 20 hours, 40 minutes as the lead Charla/Mirna have over Joe/Bill. The key to this is the assumption that the museum closed for 8 hours. This was substantiated by the fact that they were in dayl;ight when exiting the museum, which if they went out around midnight would have been impossible.

Sorry, I think your time line is way out of line.  Note that when Charla and Mirna leap upon the mat, the sun is down low shining right into Phil's eyes.  Same is true for Oswald and Danny.  Later on we have Uchenna and Joyce arriving after sunset (it is dark out now so no way can it be only 1345.  At that hour the sun would be practically overhead and it would be bright, but it is dark)  Same goes for The Beauty Queens.  There is no way to judge the arrival of Eric and Dee.  The final two arrivals the next morning after sunrise look like good possibilities.

Not to make snap judgments, but the time line has to be rethought.  Perhaps the Dowl trip did take a lot longer than estimated.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #446 on: March 26, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »
Here's my quick look at the timeline on for Zanzibar.  I think we can make it work by using really long Dhow times. 

I can tweak the times when I review my tape.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Here's my quick look at the timeline on for Zanzibar.  I think we can make it work by using really long Dhow times. 

I can tweak the times when I review my tape.

CHATEAU, the sea portion is anyone's guess. However, the land portion isn't. I think you are wildly overestimating the time to travel by taxi a 15 mile trip to and a 15 miles trip from the rungu toss site. Why 1 hour and 1.2 hours? Why not 30 minutes for each?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »
Just for interest--one of the videos said that there was a religious exodus on, leading to all flights being full.

This could be the start of the hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca), which this year began Dec 28. For many pilgrims, this is a once in a lifetime trip, and I can believe that many would go far ahead of the actual start.

What I don't understand is why teams didn't look at other alternatives? Maybe a flight to Mombasa and local transport to Dar? Anything would have been better than sitting around an airport all day/night/day...

ETA: Mat Chats! Lots of good info there!

Guidos confirm hajj as an issue--

E/D confirm being behind by 12-14 hours

Phil confirms Old Fort Mat as his sleeping place with others (in E/D clip)

BQ's (sunburnt) confirm a 9 hour boat ride

And is a FF clue green? Because in Ch/Mirna's you can see she is holding a clue packet that has a green (blue and red too) clue card
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 03:49:28 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Thanks Peach !  Now I can accommodate Apskip's land estimates.