Author Topic: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."  (Read 132658 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."
« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »
I dont think this helps so fwiw..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2007, 07:10:41 PM »
PEACHHHH REPORT!

Pemba/Zanzibar Bits and Pieces:

Henna Painting was originally done in order to cool ones hands and feet. Traditionally, Swahilis perform henna painting for brides and married women only. Various styles of henna painting are available in Zanzibar whose origins range from Sudan, India and Arabia.

it is polite (and much appreciated) to observe local custom by keeping your knees and shoulders covered; this applies to men and women. Be sure to ask for permission before taking pictures of Stone Town residents. This is especially important when the subject of your picture is a woman.

Also inside the Fort are shops and a beauty salon that does henna painting
(refers to Old Arab Fort in Stone Town)

Kangas, the local cloth worn by women over their dresses and covering their heads, are available in every possible color and print ranging from humorous to somber. All Kangas have a message have a message written in Swahili. The different patterns and colors on the kangas also have meaning. Kangas have significance in every major event in a Swahili woman's life from childhood to marriage to motherhood and more. It's a good idea to know what your kanga says because the messages can be strong, for instance one message says, "I may be ugly, but I'm not for sale."
:lol:

A recent law passed in Tanzania prohibits tourists from travelling in wooden crafts, which prevents tourists from taking dhows to or from the Tanzanian mainland. This law was passed after a German tourist pitched overboard from a dhow and drowned, ruining the fun for the rest of us who might want to spend eight to twelve hours on a wooden boat without shelter from the sun and without food, water, or plumbing facilities. It is a silly law and has silly exceptions such as sunset cruises around Zanzibar harbor such as is offered by Mtoni Marine.
This was apparently in the late 90's and is probably different now because I've found several blogs describing some long and miserable dhow rides between Zanzibar and Dar and Mombasa.

The dhows have no services, toilets, or cafeterias and can be dangerous in high swells. Some people have had lovely dhow rides but if the winds die or are light, your trip can last well over eight hours.

Sea Bus (1 & 2) operated by Azam Marine leaves the Zanzibar Harbor 3 times a day for Dar-es-Salaam. Both cabins are very clean, air-conditioned and with comfortable seating.

Sea Express and Flying Horse are two other ferries between Unguja and Dar. These are the fastest boats to Dar (assuming they're running) and the price is roughly the same as the other ferries. They take anywhere from one and a quarter hours to one and three-quarter hours to reach Dar.

Kizimkazi (broken into two villages just down the road from each other) is well known for the dolphins that live off the shore.  There are many boats and captains who will take you out on a dolphin safari. Dolphins are social creatures and will not shy from the boats unless there's a baby with them. Most dolphin safaris result in a good viewing but it is not guaranteed.

Zanzibar, a part of the United Republic of Tanzania, is a series of many islands, the main ones being Unguja and Pemba. The more populated of the two main islands, Unguja, is better known as Zanzibar Island and is home to Stone Town (also known as Zanzibar Town or Zanzibar City),

Pemba, located about 50 Kms north of Unguja, is far less populated. Known also by its Arabic name, Al Khundra meaning Green Island, Pemba is covered in steep hills full of palms, clove and rubber trees, rice paddies and the Ngezi Forest in the north. There are many pure, beautiful beaches in and around the numerous inlets and coves. Tourism is not as developed on Pemba as it is on Unguja but resorts are being built and the infrastructure will undoubtedly improve as tourism increases

Henna Painting was originally done in order to cool ones hands and feet. Traditionally, Swahilis perform henna painting for brides and married women only. Various styles of henna painting are available in Zanzibar whose origins range from Sudan, India and Arabia.

A Dala-dala is a small pickup truck whose bed has had benches installed around the edges and a roof placed on top. The tailgate has been removed and in its place steps have been installed making the dala-dalas easy to board. Passengers sit on the benches in the trunk-bed as well as whatever available seats are in the cab. Plastic tarps are rolled down from the roof on the outside when it's raining. The roof has a rack where parcels are placed.
Dala-dalas got their name from the Swahili pronunciation of 'dollar'; the original fare was a five-shilling coin the size of a silver dollar.

Kizimkazi (broken into two villages just down the road from each other) is well known for the dolphins that live off the shore. There are only two guesthouses in Kizimkazi and they both play host to visitors who are there in hopes of seeing dolphins. There are many boats and captains who will take you out on a dolphin safari. Dolphins are social creatures and will not shy from the boats unless there's a baby with them. Most dolphin safaris result in a good viewing but it is not guaranteed

The Zanzibar Islands have excellent locations for diving because living reefs surround many of the islands. There are plenty of places where the water temperature is warm, visibility is usually excellent, and currents are weak, all of which contributes to an ideal location for first time and novice divers.

Pemba lies 80 km north of its sister island, Unguja, directly east of the Tanzanian city of Tanga. World-renowned for its collective knowledge of witchcraft and the African occult, Pemba is frequently visited by people looking for local cures or looking to learn the trade of witch-doctoring. It is even said that people have traveled from as far as Haiti in order to learn the origins of voodoo. Although its reputation for occult healing and spell casting spreads much farther than Pemba, the locals will deny it emphatically if asked. It is not for public consumption and is revealed to locals only.

There are frequent ferry departures from Unguja to Pemba and the fare is about $30 per person for tourists. The ferries Sepideh and Talieh run several times a week (about a three-hour ride) for which tickets can be purchased at the ports on Unguja or Pemba. There are larger ships such as the Mapinduzi that also go to Pemba but their schedules are erratic and unreliable. At the time of publication (late 90's)it was illegal for tourists to travel in wooden crafts in Tanzanian waters making a dhow journey to Pemba impossible. It is possible to take a dhow from Mombasa to Pemba because Kenyan law does permit tourists to travel in wooden boats. If you're looking for a dhow ride, you may consider something shorter than the six to eight hour sail from Mombasa to Pemba. The dhows don't have catering, can be very dangerous in high swells and there's no way to get out of the sun.

Chake Chake is the largest town on the island (Pemba) and it is the capital. Like Stone Town on Unguja, Chake Chake is located about halfway down the West Coast of the island. It is the only town on Pemba that has a city center feel to it with a central market, a hotel and, albeit small, a strip of shops.

LINK   lots of fun facts, history, etc....

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2007, 07:49:14 PM »
Fwiw, mosquitoes are a problem both on the islands and on the mainland.
On a different topic, is the consensus now that U/J hit the roadblock the day before the other teams?
Quote from: Gman
Did TPTB then manage to change the printed instructions they gave to the teams after the last task on where to go for the pit stop?
Good point; I'll listen tomorrow for any voice-overs and watch the clue-card sequences for strange edits.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »
Fwiw, mosquitoes are a problem both on the islands and on the mainland.
On a different topic, is the consensus now that U/J hit the roadblock the day before the other teams?
:waves: I'm on that bandwagon..

and I'm still on the bandwagon that they hit both Islands, Zanzibar & Pemba and thats where the Dhow comes in and its a long ride and thats why the Chas are napping.
I don't know about the flights only what I read and I don't know what day it is but some of the teams are in their same clothes from EP5 so they did get to do laundry somewhere whether it was a 24 hour pitstop or not and that maybe the case because of the excellent flight charts that Chateau, Slowhatch & apskip provided.
So lets pretend for the sake of arguing that this day starts on DEC 4th
So with that I think it goes something like this..
Chas and BQ's are on the same flight as Eric & Dee ..
Eric & Dee get pulled off that flight for some reason or another, whatever.
We see the Guidos & Teri & Ian on one flight together but also see the Guidos at what I assume is an airport lounge having a drink ( is it Perrier or Heineken?), my thinking is they have caught a much, much later flight so are just taking it in stride and killing time hanging out at the airport probably along with Teri & Ian.
Now we don't see Ucheena & Joyce on any flight at all or do we see Eric & Dee again on a plane.
Could it be that U/J & E/D found a faster way to Dar es Salaam putting them hours ahead of the other teams? Remember Joyce is fairly good at making flight plans as we saw on the insider videos.
U/J & E/D compete the Detour task which is either of the Islands in Zanzibar..they Dhow over to the other island ( I'm guessing here ) and are also carted around in the minibus's.
Next up, Roadblock Dusk.. I'll guess U/J arrive first with Eric & Dee in tow and Uchenna jumps for joy with the Maasai men that he is #1.
In the previews we see Danielle when it is darker and from what it looks like she is struggling with the Roadblock but later at the Pitstop confessional Eric is making light of it and comments about Danielle's " hunting & gathering skills " and she laughs.
U/J & E/D hop onto the minibus and are the first 2 teams to arrive at the makeshift pitstop.
Now Phil has radio contact with production all the time and perhaps knows the other teams are close so he waits ..no place to sit, no facilities..so he makes do by napping on the mat with the rest of the production.
Somewhere the Chas & Charla & Mirna are held up and we know they are working together because Phil tells us so.
Stick the BQ's in the mix there somewhere. Maybe the Dhow has HoursOfOperation and they completed the Detours to late for the Dhows to take them to the other island?
Anyway in the morning ( thanks Chateau ) we see Charla/Mirna & the Cha's performing the Roadblock and the BQ's are probably in the mix somewhere
Now something tells me by process of elimination that the two underdog teams as Phil said are racing not to be the last team and of course this has to be the Guido's and Teri/Ian.

GUESS
1st Uchenna/Joyce
2nd Dani/Eric
3/4/5 place =Chas/Chmirna/BQs, in some order
6th Guidos
7th Teri/Ian

...and thats my story and I'm sticking with it :hand:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:23:34 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2007, 08:34:50 PM »
^^ oh and Chmirnas flight doesn't pay off because the Cha's catch up to them  :lol:

offtopic: is anyone having a hard time getting into Twop's?

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »

offtopic: is anyone having a hard time getting into Twop's?

hehehe

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2007, 08:47:34 PM »
Bravo? Miss Alki  :lol:

Offline Big Papi

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2007, 08:50:44 PM »
Bravo? Miss Alki  :lol:

Grabbed a proxy and checked. It appears to be ok.
Did you get "exiled" too... ???
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:45:37 PM by Miss Alki »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »
Whos in your avatar Miss Alki ?

Offline Big Papi

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2007, 10:12:59 PM »

All I know is that I'm the salami in that sandwich. That's all I remember.  :wine:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #360 on: March 24, 2007, 10:33:59 PM »
Now that Puddin has it all solved for us, we can all relax and enjoy the roundball as North Carolina puts it to Georgetown or visa versa.  And if that doesn't grab you, come watch the GMan chase that wench around the halls of ivy!

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2007, 10:49:45 PM »
Now that Puddin has it all solved for us

yeah - her story seems alright

we'll see tomorrow  ;D

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #362 on: March 24, 2007, 11:23:12 PM »

All I know is that I'm the salami in that sandwich. That's all I remember.  :wine:
Were you drunk :keeta:?
Now that Puddin has it all solved for us, we can all relax and enjoy the roundball as North Carolina puts it to Georgetown or visa versa.  And if that doesn't grab you, come watch the GMan chase that wench around the halls of ivy!
I'll drink to that  :flirt: :luvya:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 24, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »
Puddin, I know this is REALLY off topic ( sorry :( ) but have you heard anything about TAR12 yet?! I'm getting worried! :'(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:41:50 PM by Michael D »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2007, 12:56:12 AM »
I heard TAR12 has the unofficial green light  :happy:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2007, 06:32:02 AM »

Since we are talking hoops, the UNC-G'town game tips around 5 pm EDT.  That means it will run past 7 pm and push back 60 minutes and TAR.

Go Gators!

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »

Puddin, this is Bare bones and something like yours.

Do Rungu throwing at the Village Museum outside Dar es Salaam

All take a Dhow and travel to Pemba or Unguja.

Roadblock is transport herbs or make fish stained glass.

Pit stop is somewhere on the island they do Roadblock on.

It's almost a given that J/B & T/I are last 2.  Other than that there appears to be 2 groups and they can flip flop either way.

I feel D/K breeze through the herb transport and end up in first (I have to say that since they are my favorite and I want them in 1st.)

Who knows, we'll find out tonight.  I've gone cross-eyed trying to figure out possibilities.  Going to bed, watching TARAS and going to work.    :zz:

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »
I've read the last few pages many times and I'm still lost. So now I'm just hoping the lost pitstop is not on this leg.  :rotf:
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2007, 11:14:45 AM »
Is this Survivor :lol: ?
8:36 SEGMENT ELEVEN - AMAZING RACE ALL STARS CASTOFFS: We will talk to the
latest Amazing Race team castoff to be voted off the new All Stars season. On
Monday morning, we'll have a recap of Sunday's episode and talk to the castoffs
about what really went wrong.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #369 on: March 25, 2007, 11:23:32 AM »

I have looked at the videotape again, and I am pretty sure that the objects that are falling off the cart are the backpacks of the two beauty queens.  I don't know why they are on the cart, or what the BQ's are doing.  Perhaps they have made a delivery of some sort and are returning the cart.  Or, they had to assemble the cart and push it somewhere's else.  I have no idea.  But after many slo-mo runs of the tape it sure looks like their two backpacks.  More confusion for the fire.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #370 on: March 25, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »
I heard TAR12 has the unofficial green light  :happy:

According to the application, potential teams must be able to spend up to 12 days in Los Angeles in April and be prepared to spend from 30 to 40 days on the road in the period June - August.  So if this holds up we may be able to hobnob at Bran's Castle in Transylvania in mid-june!!!!!!(If no TAR teams show up then, I sure would like to chase the wench of wenchs, puddin, around a bit in Dracula's Castle)

Offline Big Papi

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »

I have looked at the videotape again, and I am pretty sure that the objects that are falling off the cart are the backpacks of the two beauty queens.  I don't know why they are on the cart, or what the BQ's are doing.  Perhaps they have made a delivery of some sort and are returning the cart.  Or, they had to assemble the cart and push it somewhere's else.  I have no idea.  But after many slo-mo runs of the tape it sure looks like their two backpacks.  More confusion for the fire.

There appear to me to be three logs on the cart as well as their backpacks. What can't be determined from the clip is if they dump the entire load.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
Finally, tonight all the answers to this mysterious episode will be solved  :happy:!!

(Although I hate to admit it, the past couple of days have actually been fun)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:28:01 PM by Michael D »

Offline survivorfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2007, 12:29:27 PM »
does anyone know whos officially first

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2007, 12:30:27 PM »
does anyone know whos officially first

No, but at this point we are speculating that it is either U/J, followed by E/D OR one of C/M or the Chas (with the BQs third, possibly 2nd)