Author Topic: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."  (Read 132227 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."
« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2007, 09:00:04 AM »
OK, everybody appears to be confused on many things. I can't say that I have any answers, but I do have some interesting hypotheses. First, it looks to me now that the Race is going now to Pemba Island, Zanzibar rather than the more obvious (and more travelled) Zanzibar Island, Zanzibar. That makes it quite difficult to get to by air from Dar-Es-Salaam. Here are the choices for Monday Dec. 4:

PW730 departs DAR 0730 arrives ZNZ 0750  B4 601 departs ZNZ 0945 arrives PMA 1020

B4104  departs DAR 1545 arrives ZNZ 1605  B4 603 departs ZNZ 1630 arrives PMA 1700

Now, the alternaitve to get to Pemba is to take surface tranportation from Dar-Es-Salaam to Tanga about 100 miles north, then switch to dhow for the trip across the Zanzibar Channel to Pemba. This is an interesting tradeoff and one that apparently Uchenna/Joyce and Charla/Mirna take (and I would take since they reach DAR early Sunday evening). See if this helps.

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2007, 09:00:18 AM »
For those like me not on IE. Pic URL

http://www.dioceseofzanzibar.org/Images/TomondoTeachers1.jpg

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »
Maybe what Phil is saying is that all the teams had checked in by 3AM. Don't the teams sleep at the pit stop?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »

Maybe what Phil is saying is that all the teams had checked in by 3AM. Don't the teams sleep at the pit stop?

**then we ended up at a place where we weren't meant to have a pit stop, so things were a little sketchy and there were 12 of us at one point lying on the mat at three in the morning swatting mosquitos."
**So at one point there was 12 of us, cameramen and production people, all tightly packed onto the mat, which was lying in a grassy area, being absolutely annihilated at 3:00 am by mosquitos

Is this what your talking about? C'mon :groan:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »
Check out the pictures in Reply #79

K/D are probably on same plane as E/D.  E/D's plane has a purple? design on seatback protector.  Note for K/D that the black guy is leaning forward and his seatback protector is not plain.  Check out the picture showing the seats in front of E/D, I think K/D is 3 rows ahead.  This is the row where the steward's chin is.

Also, the screen shot of D/K sitting and WILL is over the top.  D/K are wearing the same tops as in the plane picture.

Can't tell for sure about O/D except 1 possible detail.  It seems that seats on E/D's plane are higher then the seats in T/I & J/B's seatbacks.  Therefore, I think O/D have the higher seatbacks so they are on the same type plane as E/D & K/D.

Does this mean that all 3 teams are taken off and only Danielle freaks about it?  Maybe as Phil was being called back the first 3 teams have to be prevented from continuing to the pit stop that's no longer a pit stop.  For good TV production is holding off on telling them the reason so that they can film a reaction like Danielle's.

Anyone have a real good idea where the plane is flying from?

Since Danielle and Dustin????? (I get them mixed up) have on different tops I'm thinking they (all teams) have layered clothes and they start with tank top, go to t-shirt, then some type of shirt/blouse/light jacket and so forth.  The flight is the first flight and before the challenge Danielle and Dustin? remove t-shirt to be down to tank top.

So 1 team pulled off/3 teams pulled off; beginning of leg/end of leg; moving pit stop/something Eric said that based on local customs was an insult?

I have read, read and read, searched, looked and I am so confused.
According to the previews ONE team gets pulled off the plane and we know that is Eric & Dee. As for your other questions go back to about page 2 of this thread and start there, the plane scenario has been discussed.

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2007, 12:04:21 PM »

Michael, the line:  "So at one point there was 12 of us, cameramen and production people, all tightly packed onto the mat, which was lying in a grassy area, being absolutely annihilated at 3:00 am by mosquitoes."

It could mean there was 5 teams (10 people), Phil & the greater (2 people) plus the cameramen and production people waiting for the 6th & 7th team (Guido/Teri & Ian) to show up at 3 AM.

Being this is an unplanned pit stop location they may not have accommodations and transportation ready for racers.  Although they had at least 2 hours for the production people with the racers to organize something.  There was talk in early interviews of Phil &/or Bertram about roughing it.  Maybe they are going to have the racers camp without tents.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »
Trying to place the mystery pitstop...I've been looking through amadeus for 2 hr. flight times from ZNZ. Nairobi is 90-115 minutes away using a small jet in regular scheduled service. Best I could find so far.
adding this Slowhatch not that it helps, lol

tvguide
"We had to change the location of a pit stop because the teams weren't going to get to a certain place at a certain time. Everything was changing and evolving. We were flying ahead to where the pit stop was going to be, and flew a number of hours to this location only to find out when we landed that the teams weren't EVER going to be able to make the route. We had to put 40 something bags back on the plane and fly all the way back again, then we ended up at a place where we weren't meant to have a pit stop, so things were a little sketchy and there were 12 of us at one point lying on the mat at three in the morning swatting mosquitos."

Did TPTB then manage to change the printed instructions they gave to the teams after the last task on where to go for the pit stop? "At a place we weren't meant to have a pit stop" Ummmmm, confusing to say the least.

Offline survivorfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
can someone tell me the official order of whos comming in first place?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
we don't know yet!!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Okay.  I think I finally have a slippery grip on this thing.

This shot was taken God knows where between 9:30 and 10:20 am (assumes December God knows when).

He is throwing directly north.
And, note the lamppost!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:12:29 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #335 on: March 24, 2007, 01:10:39 PM »
These shots were taken God knows where between 6:30 and 7:00 pm (assumes December God knows when)

See the artificial light coming from his left.  That is the lamppost.  The Sun has just gone down.

He is throwing directly north.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
wow - the Chas, Mirna and Chmirna, and the BQs have a big lead then

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2007, 01:16:13 PM »
Or it's the next day ?   :hides

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
That's true - either way, one of the group has a huge lead

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »
Maybe Uchenna managed to get to it right at the close of Hours of Operation while the others were just minutes too late.

Wasn't another team tossing Rungas in the near dark too?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2007, 01:25:33 PM »
Yup - Eric and Dee

but that still doesn't make any sense
because Phil makes it seem like all the teams checked into the pit stop at night, yet C/M, BQs, D/O are there early in the morning...

what if Phil and Co. went to the "supposed to be pit stop" BEFORE teams started this leg, or just after, and THEN realized that the teams wont be able to get their on time, then went and made a new pit stop.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »
If Uchenna & Joyce are now ready to go to the Pitstop (Roadblock Done) then they must have to go for a 9 hr drive in order to rescue Phil from the 3AM mosquitoes.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2007, 01:35:19 PM »
So Chateau, what do you think the scenario is here? Which group in your opinion is leading?

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2007, 01:42:36 PM »
Check out the pictures in Reply #79

K/D are probably on same plane as E/D.  E/D's plane has a purple? design on seatback protector.  Note for K/D that the black guy is leaning forward and his seatback protector is not plain.  Check out the picture showing the seats in front of E/D, I think K/D is 3 rows ahead.  This is the row where the steward's chin is.

Also, the screen shot of D/K sitting and WILL is over the top.  D/K are wearing the same tops as in the plane picture.

Can't tell for sure about O/D except 1 possible detail.  It seems that seats on E/D's plane are higher then the seats in T/I & J/B's seatbacks.  Therefore, I think O/D have the higher seatbacks so they are on the same type plane as E/D & K/D.

Does this mean that all 3 teams are taken off and only Danielle freaks about it?  Maybe as Phil was being called back the first 3 teams have to be prevented from continuing to the pit stop that's no longer a pit stop.  For good TV production is holding off on telling them the reason so that they can film a reaction like Danielle's.

Anyone have a real good idea where the plane is flying from?

Since Danielle and Dustin????? (I get them mixed up) have on different tops I'm thinking they (all teams) have layered clothes and they start with tank top, go to t-shirt, then some type of shirt/blouse/light jacket and so forth.  The flight is the first flight and before the challenge Danielle and Dustin? remove t-shirt to be down to tank top.

So 1 team pulled off/3 teams pulled off; beginning of leg/end of leg; moving pit stop/something Eric said that based on local customs was an insult?

I have read, read and read, searched, looked and I am so confused.
According to the previews ONE team gets pulled off the plane and we know that is Eric & Dee. As for your other questions go back to about page 2 of this thread and start there, the plane scenario has been discussed.

Puddin  The preview says one team hits the breaking point (Danielle) which still could mean 2 other teams were taken off but they didn't hit the breaking point.   It's possible (Like a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage)  Sorry, just had to put that in there LOL

I have read and read and read this thread repeatedly over the last few days and I still don't know if they were leaving from Maputo, Jo Burg, in Malawi.  A BIG, BIG DUHHHHHHHHHHHH.  I just realized it's the Johannesburg O. R. Tambo airport.  So it may just be D/E but why is D/K just sitting there (in the airport?) in the middle of a leg?  Unless it's a bunching or waiting for a flight, they would be wasting time.  In the picture it doesn't look like waiting to board.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
Maybe it's from the beginning of a leg and they are waiting for their flight to leave? Don't forget they came in 2nd last leg, so they're up at the top

Offline $HOP@HOL!C

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is SOOOOOOO frikkin confusing!!!!!! BUT its ah-bvious tht the teams change clothes AFTER they arrive @ Tanzania. && it is possible that there r a couple other tasks between the roadblock && the pitstop.
Or it's the next day ?   :hides

Its VERY possible tht the pitstop is the next day.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »
What if it's Roadblock at night on first day
<route marker with HOH>
Boat/Detour on the morning of the next day
<Pit stop>

That would explain the difference in the skies, and it would allow the 3AM pitstop to make sense, because we've yet to see what happens on the 2nd day other then the detour!

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »
Found this for Zanzibar

http://www.guide360.com/destinations/Zanzibar

Get out
Respect

Zanzibar is largely a Muslim community. Although they are used to Western ways, you should try to be respectful. This means:

* Women and men should make an effort to cover their legs and arms.
    * Be discrete when drinking alcohol.
    * During Ramadan -- the month of fasting -- travelers should avoid eating and drinking during the daytime.

in 2006 the month of Ramadan (1427 AH) began on September 23 (Middle East, East Africa, North Africa and West Africa)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »
If they are really on Pemba or Zanzibar we need to remember that they are on an island and transportation options, especially at night, may be limited. If they are told to go to Dar es Salaam, for instance, for the Pitstop--they may have to wait until daytime in order to get either a flight, a ferry, or even a high speed catamaran in order to get OFF the island. Of course, the pitstop could also be just down the street on island too!

It is always possible that this is where we see the dhow come into play, although based on limited flights INTO the islands at the time they are needed--it is more probable that the dhow is an option to get TO the islands (assuming of course that they are where we hope/think they will be :lol:)!!

Well--think how confused TPTB must have been when they realized the our guys couldn't get to them--makes our "mass confusion" seem a little better!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »
Well--think how confused TPTB must have been when they realized the our guys couldn't get to them--makes our "mass confusion" seem a little better!

haha - yeah, it sort of does

I just wish we had more to go on!