Author Topic: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."  (Read 131923 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP6: "We're Going To Trade You For Food Now."
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2007, 02:36:53 AM »
I have a possible explanation.  Or, at least a way to get teams to Dar Es Salaam.  Say teams fail to get the 7 am flight to J-berg.  Then they miss the direct flights fro J-berg to Dar Es Salaam.  And they miss the indirect ones via Air Malawi through Blantyre.  So they can't get out of J-berg until December 3rd.

An Air Malawi flight out of J-berg can only go to Lilongwe or to Blantyre.  And it only goes to Lilongwe on Saturday (December 2nd was a Saturday).  And there are no Air Malawi flights from Lilongwe to Dar Es Salaam.  So missing the 7 am flight forces the flight we see in the preview to be the one going to Blantyre and therefore sending teams ultimately to Dar Es Salaam.

Easy  :lol: :groan:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2007, 07:46:42 AM »
clues:
**A high seas adventure turns into a nightmare for Charla.

**Eric & Danielle hit their breaking point when they're pulled from an airplane they already boarded.

**Uchenna & Joyce are overcome with emotions when they see local people who makes them think about themselves.

**Charla & Mirna gamble on an incredibly risky move that could mean the difference between life and death in the race.

Assuming this episode has a fast forward, will Schmirna go for it?!  I think they will go for the FF (the incredibly risky move).

Somehow Uchenne & Joyce finish at least 300 minutes ahead of Teri & Ian (based on puddin's boot list).

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2007, 07:48:18 AM »
My thoughts:

1.  Mirna & Charla do a FF

2.  This is just an "outside the box" idea.  It may be possible that Eric and Danielle got into the plane when they had already been told the plane was full.  The way Danielle saw the situation is that they did find seats so they should have been able to keep them and stay on the plane.---Based on 9/11 stuff (and I haven't flown in 28 yrs) would it be possible for them to get through without actually being checked in?

3.  Is this the leg where they can't make it to the planned Pit Stop?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
clues:
**A high seas adventure turns into a nightmare for Charla.

**Eric & Danielle hit their breaking point when they're pulled from an airplane they already boarded.

**Uchenna & Joyce are overcome with emotions when they see local people who makes them think about themselves.

**Charla & Mirna gamble on an incredibly risky move that could mean the difference between life and death in the race.

Somehow Uchenne & Joyce finish at least 300 minutes ahead of Teri & Ian (based on puddin's boot list).
Assuming this episode has a fast forward, will Schmirna go for it?!  I think they will go for the FF (the incredibly risky move).

GATOR27, I believe you meant "at least 30 minutes" to beat the Marked for Elimination penalty.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:02:13 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 09:26:09 AM »
There have been several speculations on the EP5 thread about air travel for EP6 on Air Malawi. I am going to offer my speculations, based on my intensive analysis of the entire Air Malawi African route structure and timetable:

1. Teams will have hit the Maputo pitstop the afternoon of Friday Dec.1 and be able to catch an early morning flight TM301 to Johannesburg departin 0700 arriving 0800.

2. The only place they can go on Air Malawi (a necessity based on the pictures we have seen) is to Blantyre on QM202 departing 1425 arriving 1635. At that point, there is only one other place they could continue on to and that is Lilongwe. I don't think they do that, although they might. Blantyre is the major air hub for Africa and Lilongwe is the air hub for inside Malawi.

3. Choices over the following 2 days for flights are to:
a. Harare, Zimbabwe 1020 Saturday morning arriving 1140 QM141
b. Mzuzu, Malawi 1600 Saturday afternoon arriving 1650
c. Lusaka, Zambia 0845 Sunday morning arriving 1025
d. Dar-es-Salaam 1500 Sunday afternoon arriving 1740 QM6202
e. continuation of the same flight to Nairobi arriving at 1915

What does all this mean? I think it means that the pit stop for episode 6 will be somewhere near Blantyre Malawi. I further think it means that the pitstop for episode 7 will be in the vicinity of either Dar-es-Salaam or Nairobi. My guess is Dar-es-Salaam. The rationale is tha t you can't go anywhere else by air and get back and then get to Poland easily. Nairobi has excellent connections via Amsterdam and Dar-Es-Salaam can reach Amsterdam via Nairobi. The Amazing Race is likely to leave Africa from one of those two cities. If you think differently, speak up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:23:23 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2007, 09:48:43 AM »
from the IGN interview
We were in Africa, and the Pit Stop location had to get moved because of logistics. We'd taken a flight to the next location, packed up about forty bags into a propeller charter flight and flew two hours to the next location. As soon as we landed, we got a phone call to say the teams had been held up. They were never gonna make it to the pit stop where we were at. We'd just unloaded all the bags in the middle of the night. So they asked the flight crew if they would fly us back the next morning, and the crew said no; they were gonna go back. So we had to load all the bags back on the plane, take the two hour flight back again, then go out and in the middle of the night for the pit stop, having not been to bed at all. There was no facility for any of us, like chairs or any of that. So at one point there was 12 of us, cameramen and production people, all tightly packed onto the mat, which was lying in a grassy area, being absolutely annihilated at 3:00 am by mosquitoes

One quick thought on why there most likely isn't a Fast forward. If the pitstop were moved and there was a Fast Forward what pitstop did the Fast Forward clue send the team to ?

Offline NDIrish

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
If they are really in Tanzania (not that we would know from the stingy darn previews!) and with the Masai--a Fast Forward could be to drink cow milk and blood--a Masai diet staple....

???  Isn't that what they did on Survivor the season in Africa?  They put an arrow in the cow's neck to get the blood to spew out...I can't remember if they put in milk.  This sounds familiar...

Eww.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
2. The only place they can go on Air Malawi (a necessity based on the pictures we have seen) is to Blantyre on QM202 departing 1425 arriving 1635.

But according to the Air Malawi African route structure and timetable, they don't have that flight on Saturday.  December 2nd was a Saturday.

:umn:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
In the promo you can see Uchenna struggling with the ROADBLOCK (Throwing axes or something at a target) and it is dark out. So the Roadblock is running late.  TPTB are trying to show that the Uchenna and Joyce team, marked for elimination, is running late (but I think everyone is running late according to the info we have about changing the pit stop). 

It looks like everyone is running late and the teams won't be able to catch some flight which would take them to the pit stop, so TPTB have changed it back to some non-descript open field.

All of this seems to indicate that there is NO FAST FORWARD in this ep.  If there were a FF, then the team might have already made the flight to the pit stop.

AH, perhaps Eric and Dee took the FF and are on the plane to the pit stop, but then TPTB get the word back to the airline people to kick E and D off the plane since they have now decided to change the pit stop location.

Another possibility is that E and D were boarded onto the plane in a "stand by" capacity meaning that they would have to give up their seats (actually four seats) if the party holding tickets showed up at the gate.

Ah, sweet mysteries of life on TAR :happy:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
AH, perhaps Eric and Dee took the FF and are on the plane to the pit stop, but then TPTB get the word back to the airline people to kick E and D off the plane since they have now decided to change the pit stop location.
Thats another scenario that would work Gman!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:44 AM »
Zanibar it is!! Video

VO: The amazing race is a non-stop test of will
Cha's: the stress of the race is getting to people ( from EP5 insider clip)
VO: patience
Mirna: please let us get on this flight *smiles*
Charla: that was a little awkward ( EP5 insider clip)
VO: and drive
Male:" Go Go Go Go "
* BQ's pushing a cart*
BQ"S : Whoooooooo!!
* Danielle Roadblock*
Eric/Dee conf: Danielle doesn't have any hunter or gathering skills she has more shopping and dining skills..
VO: but who knew traveling through Zanzibar
Ian: winner takes all, loser goes home
VO: ..would be easier than getting out of an airport
Dude: sorry I must ask you to leave the plane right now
VO: new amazing race all-stars....

more....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:49:32 AM by puddin »

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
also if you watch uchenna & joyce 4:12 insider vid about telling time they mention the dates they where flying on

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 10:28:50 AM »

more..

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »
the end

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:38:08 AM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »
Half of the detour looks like carting some lumber.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2007, 10:57:19 AM »
A source page here with photos of dhow tours; unfortunately, it's probably a generic design.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »
CBS's quality sucks but this will have to do for now..

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
 ;D  Good work, puddin.  Looks like we can tie in the Maasai, dhows & dolphins (near Kizimkazi Beach), and heena to Zanzibar. 

FYI:
Zanzibar Tourism Info

Day Excursions in Zanzibar

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2007, 11:14:17 AM »
Boingo  :luvya:
so they pull three or 4 teams off the plane? assumes Eric/Dee, Ucheena/Joyce, and probably Teri & Ian and the Guidos as well.
Charla/Mirna, the BQ's and the Chas with a big lead!!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »
so they pull three or 4 teams off the plane? assumes Eric/Dee, Ucheena/Joyce, and probably Teri & Ian and the Guidos as well.

Not really clear on that, puddin.   :-\

I'm still trying to figure out why the web monkeys at CBS threw in this pix of the "Guidos in Ushuaia" as a Zanzibar preview.    (:;)    :groan:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
moved to the spoiler thread
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:39:05 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »
edited by puddin :my fault, moved to the spoiler thread

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:40:00 PM by puddin »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »

that makes me incredibly happy to read

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »
Hold the phone or should I say that plane?

Picture properties for the EP5 Detour and Roadblock are 11/30/06. So maybe you all are looking at the wrong date for flights? 12/1 instead of 12/2?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »
Okay, so let's get that flight info back up for a closer look.  We can also add in any new facts from the shots in the various travel agencies.