Author Topic: EP5: "You Need To Watch Your Jokes, Guy."  (Read 102470 times)

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
Re: EP5: "You Need To Watch Your Jokes, Guy."
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2007, 09:22:40 PM »
we need shots of other teams now so we can compare time!!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »
This shot, if it was taken between 2:33 and 3:17 pm , would have have been made with a solar azimuth of about 260 deg.  I checked all the markets indicated by Slowhatch's link in "maps" and only Mercado Estrela Vermelha has allies that line up at the correct angle to get the sun's direction in the shot.  So that is my guess for the Detour location.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2007, 10:16:56 PM »
Awesome, I will be very curious if you are accurate (I am sure you are).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2007, 12:01:29 AM »
Thanks Chateau  :luvya:

Well I found this but do not want to take the big picture because of copyrights
Maputo: on the spot nail varnish!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2007, 01:50:32 AM »
 :knuckles: After searching for days i have nothing

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2007, 01:50:53 AM »
ok, it's really late so sorry if I asked this question already and somebody replied, I'm to tired to go back and check (  :umn:)

but do we know if the detour or the road block comes first?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2007, 01:54:46 AM »
I would think the detour comes first; the roadblock has to be in the early morning. But it's just a guess.  :ele: (no rat smileys)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2007, 01:54:56 AM »
Wherever it is, it takes place early in the next morning on December 1st.

Probably a major bunch point where they all have to wait until 6:00 am. (That's what this solar altitude looks like:  about 14 deg)

Hey, Puddin I was already on it!
Roadblock, bunching = Hours of Operation  Michael.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2007, 01:57:27 AM »
I would think the detour comes first; the roadblock has to be in the early morning. But it's just a guess.  :ele: (no rat smileys)
I'm so confused on the dates Slowhatch? Detour first thing on arrival on Nov 30th? Roadblock/Rats early morning Dec 1st?

eta: I think its a mouse  :lol: :rat?:
eta: by request Slowhatch :rats:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:09:11 AM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »
I'm not sure about the dates, either. I was just going by the times Chateau provided: morning arrival, afternoon detour and early morning roadblock.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2007, 09:50:30 AM »
PUDDIN and SLOWHATCH, add me to the list of those uncertain and perplexed over dates. My post #122 explained it like this:

What now is most unusual to me is how do Joe and Bill lose one day. The teams should be released after a 12 hour pitstop maybe between 1am and about 5am on Monday Nov. 27. The chairlift will have hours of operation, which will dictate when they can get to the glacier, so they will all bunch there. They will be done before noon and on their way to the airport, but it is Nov. 27 unless there was an extended pit stop to 36 hours. If there isn't then how do Joe and Bill get behind everyone else by one day? We know they catch up by Mozambique. They can do this if only behind 12 hours, but not if behind 24 hours. It looks like there must be an extended pit stop at Ushuaia.

The reason, of course, being the sighting of Joe and Bill at the Ushuaia travel agency on the afternoon of Nov. 28. It is barely possible that the individual reporting it was citing an event 24 hours old, but I don't believe that. My bet is now on the extended pit stop. The problem is how to determine which day it is either before or during the showing of Episode 5.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »
Just to be sure everybody knows, I just used Apskip's November 30th as the flight arrival date.  It seems to check out with the Guido sighting on November 28th in Ushuaia.  I haven't loaded it into a timeline myself to make sure it is in sync.  But I suspect I don't have to.

The other thing that Slowhatch found was that the rats like to do the mine searching in the mornings due to the high heat of the day.

When teams are debarking the plane at Maputo the Sun is already up at about 60 deg solar altitude.  So they can't do the rat roadblock on that day.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »
Just to be sure everybody knows, I just used Apskip's November 30th as the flight arrival date.  It seems to check out with the Guido sighting on November 28th in Ushuaia.  I haven't loaded it into a timeline myself to make sure it is in sync.  But I suspect I don't have to.

The other thing that Slowhatch found was that the rats like to do the mine searching in the mornings due to the high heat of the day.

When teams are debarking the plane at Maputo the Sun is already up at about 60 deg solar altitude.  So they can't do the rat roadblock on that day.
Plus the clothes match up ...

Toes

pitstop

rats

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »
More than a 12 hour pitstop, the teams had time for a nice meal with wine and exploring Ushuaia.....check out the extra clips that Kogs posted.

The Racers Relax Over A Meal

The Teams Meet The Local Dogs

eta the weather History for Ushuaia, Argentina
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:41:10 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
Whee! I've got some catching up to do and a whole potpourri of things to comment on--so here goes!

Ep 4 Pitstop--we do think this is 36 hours, right? (11/26-11/28 AM?)
  The clincher for me is the Pit Stop cams which show two lunches (or big meals in daylight hours anyway) which suggests 2 different days to me. The first was the arrival one with Ch/Mirna, and the second one was the Bodego Cafeteria one with the Huskies.

I think that this might well be the restaurant at the Valle de los Huskies, a breeding/training/sled dog ride place located 19 km out Rte # 3... (and where were Ch/Mirna that day?)
Valle de los Huskies
Nineteen kilometers from Ushuaia, along National Route Nº3, it has a restaurant, a tea shop and a bar. There is rental and sales of skiing equipment, rental of sleds, dog sled rides, snow cats, illuminated runs, "flexmobile" excursions and a skiing school. There is a 1,000 meter high-speed ski run

and at 17 km out of Ushuaia is the
Altos del Valle
Seventeen kilometers from the city, along National Route Nº3, this center offers lodging in cabins, private parking, a bar, regular transport and a skiing school. It also has the first school for child sled team drivers and Siberian Husky breeding establishments.
which could be where they spend the night before doing the glacier climb on 11/28.

(My pretty little map shows the Valle--but maybe somebody else could add in the glaciers? Not quite sure where they are...)

On to the glacier climb:

apskip said
The most logical place for glaciers is in the Chilean portion of Tierra del Fuego National Park, which they are close to while staying on Isla Redonda in the Argentinian portion of that park. I predict that the glacier scenes will take up the entire following day

which makes sense to me--I just think it is now 11/28.

I am not totally convinced about which glacier they climbed though--after reading several blogs there seem to be two choices--the Martial and the Albino Glaciers.

The Albino actually seems to be more of a mountaineering one...

This blog is a hoot! ("Stop complaining Philip--your testicles aren't really frozen solid!")--in ref to climbing the Martial Glacier...

The task seems to be some sort of find/search/rescue task as previously described. But since they have met the dogs--shouldn't they at least get to have a sled-dog turn? :lol:

Pictures...then more to say re the next bit!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »
Doggies...

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks peach, that map really helps.

tvguide, rats first..
Episode Detail: You Need to Watch Your Jokes, Guy - Amazing Race: All-Stars
The seven remaining teams fly from Argentina to Mozambique on the fifth leg of the race. Once there, the teams encounter a large rat that holds the key to their next clue.

eta: Kogs, your the basketball person and we put you in charge of all Amazing Race promos seen during the games ;D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2007, 11:15:07 AM »
I"m leaving the flights to apskip's expertise cause I'm sure he has them down...

I guess arrival 11/30? with tasks to 12/1?

We know that World Aids Day was on 12/1 so that is when there would be the AIDS march that hits home to Danny...
I found one in Beira but not yet in Maputo.

I like the little rat too! It is all "Borrowers Afield"!

But I have a theory about the "Dirty Hands" task--I think that they are filling sandbags in preparation for serious flooding.

As most of you probably know, Mozambique was devastated by serious flooding in 2000 with a huge loss of lives and homes. The government has been apparently making extensive preparations for a repeat occurrence since then. In Feb 2007, there was a combination of serious flooding in conjunction with Cyclone Flavio , and many areas of Mozambique were significantly affected. However, this time the loss of life was much much less due to the extensive preparations .

And remember our cute little fellow with the hat and the bottle?

I can track the Yes we can hat (a Michigan charity) from there to Kenya...

Yes we can! is affliliated with  JONAH (Joint religious network of action and hope)--and they in turn are affiliated with the GAMALIEL foundation---and they just sent a mission team to Kenya! in October. They also have a project in South Africa...

The bottle could be some part of a pediatric nutritional supplement program (perhaps for AIDS patients?)--it would be common to supply a bottle for the clean water needed to mix up the solutions...

I think that the Gamaliel Foundation supports several orphanages in the area--so maybe TPTB are planning another chance for U/J?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:29:36 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »
Boy...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:28:02 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:48 AM »
I found a bottle with that liquid/bottle and its similar but mine is in Boane outside of Maputo but really it could be Kenya.
My location is the Iris Ministries, Inc. | Ministry Locations - Zimpeto Center and I keep thinking that is where they bag the dirt for some reason.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »
That bottle is an exact match (ugh--I'm glad I don't have to drink it!)--I'll just be glad if they are featuring the children somewhere again!

And of course, that hat could have gotten most anywhere thru the mission connections--I just loved the direct trail to Kenya shortly before our guys arrived.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Also the teams might have a task to do before leaving Mozambique so some of the introflashs, if in Mozambique at all might come into play EP6.

markets markets everywhere

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
Link to links: Links Sobre Moçambique
I don't have time to check them out now so if someone wants to go through them  :waves:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2007, 09:34:35 PM »
December 1 --World AIDS Day.

TAR support of the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

There is bound to be something there--but I just can't find it!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2007, 10:48:24 PM »
There must be a lot of nail shops to choose from; this one was flagged.  ;D