Author Topic: Antarctica ..  (Read 30626 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Antarctica ..
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »
I like these two comments...

"There's no use coming this far and--if you have a chance to go see it, well . . ."

"Because it's there. And I plan to get to as many places as I can before I'm toast."

But a flyover? Not for me! I want to spend one (and one will be plenty! :lol:) night on an ice-floe!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »
lol peach ...if you want to see Antarctica your welcome to come visit my house  ;)

hey--stick up a picture of your back yard or something! Hopefully that will be all the snow I see this year!

For a southern girl who hates to be cold--wonder why I got so attached to the whole Antarctica thing? I think I just wanted to hear Phil say: SEVEN continents...!! :lol:

Thank you apskip! Us "cock-eyed optimists" have to stick together!  Hmmm..there are still those unknown locations after Maputo! :lol3:

I asked puddin if she would bring her shovel here when she's done..  :hides

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2007, 08:27:05 PM »
Oh my...

specially love the icicles!

Brrrrr...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »
Oh my...

specially love the icicles!

Brrrrr...

They've grown a couple of inches and I really should knock them off. That was two days ago and that's not me "playing" with the snow, I took the pic..  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
since we are farting around in this thread about snow ..

heres the ice storm we had a few years back ...no power for a week and where I live that means no water either! Thank God for the fireplace and propane :jam:.

The landscape will never be the same .

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »
NO power or water for a week?! No hugging Phil for you!

The ice is beautiful but I'd bet it was really hard on all those pretty trees...

Was this storm worse? More snow? At least you kept your power this time!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 11:12:15 PM »
We have power this time ....there are no more trees to break :D
If only I recorded the sounds of the trees snapping and the icicles breaking , the sounds were something I'll never forget.
The kids and I stuck iit out even though they could have stayed at my sisters, ..ME? I couldn't leave me cats  home alone ..can you imagine TV for a week and flushing toilets with water that we saved in the bathtubs!? Hurray for keeping paperplates and cups on hand as well as cheese for grilled cheese with soup and plenty of wine, bottled water as well as board games. The wine was  for me of course...it was the only way I could fall asleep  :angel:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2007, 05:35:02 AM »
Poor trees!

I can imagine no TV for a week....but puddin with no computer for a week--not to be thought about!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »
I want some snow  :'(   (in the mountains)   :rotf:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2007, 04:23:15 PM »
I have some vacation time left.... ;)

It was 22 here this AM when I came into work with snow flurries in the mts tonight--and this is the south!

I personally think that the only good snow comes under a pair of skis! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2007, 04:48:53 PM »
God, I am so jealous.  When I moved from Alaska to California, Ihas no idea how much I would actually miss snow.

Its been 15 years now.  And in 15 years, I have seen snow 4 times..

I think I need a winter vacation.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
I think I need a winter vacation

puddin needs help shovelling! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
They JUST opened the interstates after I JUST got home after an hour detour both ways turning my 2 hour trip into 4 hours :groan:
You like Skiing peach? this is roughly a mile from where I live but I don't get over there too much, I miss the lodge most of all, lol  :keeta:

http://www.jackfrostbigboulder.com/webcams.asp

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2007, 05:22:50 PM »
I think I need a winter vacation

puddin needs help shovelling! :lol:
:lol3:

Cute, Peach very cute.

Hell, no computer for a week.  My god, I am surprised Puddin lived through that.

Luckily all my terrible winter experiences were before I was addicted to the net (its more addictive then crack).

But I actually new this couple outside of Fairbanks alaska who lived year round with no electricity.  They were naturalist (otherwise known as crazy to the rest of the world).

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »
They JUST opened the interstates after I JUST got home after an hour detour both ways turning my 2 hour trip into 4 hours :groan:
You like Skiing peach? this is roughly a mile from where I live but I don't get over there too much, I miss the lodge most of all, lol  :keeta:

http://www.jackfrostbigboulder.com/webcams.asp

Okay Puddin be honest, did you ever actually ski.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2007, 05:26:22 PM »
I love to ski but don't get to go very often any more since that involves going out "West"...

But used to ski every other weekend when I lived in Boston...fun times! I'll check out that webcam when the sun is out!

mswood--are you watching "Men in Trees"? Might bring back Alaskan memories.... :lol: My mom empathised with the bear in the kitchen one--only hers was a bear in the outhouse!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2007, 05:29:21 PM »

Okay Puddin be honest, did you ever actually ski.
  :lol: Believe it or not YES but prefer the lodge << only reason to go skiing.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »
I love to ski but don't get to go very often any more since that involves going out "West"...

But used to ski every other weekend when I lived in Boston...fun times! I'll check out that webcam when the sun is out!

mswood--are you watching "Men in Trees"? Might bring back Alaskan memories.... :lol: My mom empathised with the bear in the kitchen one--only hers was a bear in the outhouse!
Never even heard of the program.

As for Bears, my parents house's property ended and a national wildlife refuge started.  We had beers in the yard, on the porch, in the garrage.  We had Moose all the time in winter.  Once when I was about 15 and by myself, I was down stairs with my dogs who started barking at the window and all of a sudden the window broke.  A Moose had kicked it in.  Scared the crap out of me (It was dark and couldn't see the Moose.  Went outside with a rifle and my dogs, ready to shoot some intruder (I loved Alaska where it was legal to kill someone on your property as long as you had warning signs out).  We even during one bad winter had a wolf pack that normally stayed further away from the farms and houses that came in one winter and killed a ton of cattle, and pets that people had out at night (lucky my dogs slept inside at night).

And its funny talking about skiing.  The 24 years I lived in Alaska I never once went to a ski resort.  Never.  I sucked at down hill skiing and never wanted to be seen making a fool out of myself.  Cross country skiing though I loved.  Used to do that all the time.  One weekend, me and my friends took skiied 100 miles for a campout in a lodge my parents had.  It was awesome.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »
Yikes mswood  :o , does not sound like somewhere I would like to live.
(I loved Alaska where it was legal to kill someone on your property as long as you had warning signs out).   
Hey now!  :lol:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2007, 04:48:36 AM »
In one of the insider video clips for episode one (the one about Mary not liking the cold), we hear that Ian wants to go to Antartica.

See even some of the racers want to go.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
General interest:

Whaling ship adrift in Antarctica after a fire --conservation group initially suspected...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2007, 05:45:12 PM »
TAR Detective BUMP!

apskip makes me laugh!! :lol: :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule: