Author Topic: EP4: "No Babies on the Race!"  (Read 119507 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
EP4: "No Babies on the Race!"
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:54:37 AM »
EP4 Discussion

Amazing Race 11, The - "No Babies on the Race!"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:01:35 PM by puddin »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP3:
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »
We have so much good stuff for this episode I will be moving posts from other threads here.

Punta Arenas, Chile (11/?-11/25 )

RFF Detectives team work

THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS - Danielle and Eric, dating teammates from Staten Island, N.Y. and Deerfield Beach, Fla. respectively, pause to read a clue during THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS. (11/25)

THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS - Rob and Amber (red shirts), a married couple from Pensacola, Fla., and Dustin and Kandice (blue jackets), former beauty queens from Seattle, Wash. and New York, N.Y. respectively, pause to read a clue during THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS (11/25)

THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS - Teammates Dustin (front) and Kandice (back), former beauty queens from Seattle, Wash. and New York, N.Y. respectively, race to their next clue during THE AMAZING RACE: (11/25)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 01:19:08 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP3:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
( follow the quote links for the picture attachments, attached pictures do not "quote" )

Thanks for the 11/25 photos, PUDDIN. It is pretty clear that Rob/Amber and Dustin/Kandice  and Danielle/Eric are not on King George Island! It must be Punta Arenas and in back of Danielle and Eric how about the Strait of Magellan? In conjunction with the timing issues and the statements from van Munster on TV Gudie Channel last night, I have now returned to my original position that there will be no Antarctica on AR11. It apparently was too expensive and pointless except for the opportunity to claim one extra continent visited.

GEORGIAPEACH, I think you are forcing your thinking too narrowly into what you want the answer to be. Look at the accumulated evidence and see what conclusions are likely. I think you will decide that pit stop #3 is in PUNTA ARENAS, probably starting the evening of Nov. 25. The teams then go to USHUAIA and not King George Island or Antarctica. I expect them to leave USHUAIA on the 936pm flight out on Nov. 28.

What are the likely transportation options? I have been scouring the Internet and I have found some more that are interesting. There is a second bus company in Puntas Areans which has connecting service to USHUAIA on the 4 days that were not serviced by Pacheco Bus Company. This service leaves at 830am instead of 730am and probably takes at least the 12 hours of the direct bus. Also, in addition to the LAN flights on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday from PUNTA ARENAS to USHUAIA, I have discovered that DAP "In summer, it flies Twin Otters to Ushuaia Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only (US$100). It also has extensive charter services. " That could be the answer on how teams get there relatively fast since as has been clarified for me Nov. 26 was a Sunday when no regular flights are scheduled and the teams must get to USHUAIA to be sighted that afternoon.

What would one see and do in and around PUNTAS ARENAS? The most interesting thing is too far away, the Parque Nacional Torres del Paine 250 miles north. Although Punta Arenas is a mid-sized city at 120,000 inhabitants, it does not have a wealth of top-notch tourist attractions nearby. The best to me is visiting the penguin colony at Magdalena Island 25 km away in the Strait of Magellan. I'll bet that van Munster/Doganieri found something to do in Punta Arenas, maybe an eating challenge.

You are right--this does look like Punta Arenas--and here is some park-like place too...

More Punta pics--there is a plaza in town with the statue...could that be where the BQ's are? Slightly pinkish building behind Rob?

Punta street scenes..
More Punta...there is a cemetary...

More Punta

NOTICE THE TREES

and there is a Jockey Club
How long would it take by BOAT from Punta to Ushuaia?  Too long, right?

Darn, can't even say they crossed the Strait of Magellan...

Ah, GEORGIAPEACH, you answered your own questions correctly each time. It's hardly necessary for me to point out:

1. That it would take approximately 1.5 days for a boat travelling at 20 mph to get from PUNTA ARENAS to USHUAIA via the most direct routing.

2. That you go down the Strait of Magellan until you diverge into one of several different channels to continue south, then west, then southeast, then east, then north toward USHUAIA. You never cross the Strait to the other side.
My turn for questions...What is this thing a stargate?  ;D More bent trees? If I'm looking at it wrong, I apologize; but if it's a unique structure it shouldn't be hard to find.

*Stargate** :lol: :lol: I love it! MAybe it will transport Rob!

I found some trees just like it in the plaza in Punta--but it is on webshots and my computer won't open it--some kind of wbz file? If you can tell me how to open it, I'll bring it over...
??

That's it!! :yess: It is in the Plaza Munoz Gamera I think...

Now can you tell me what I need to be able to download that? I registered and everything... ???
I swiped it  with my snagit  :js:

eta
This picture was taken here between 1:15 and 1:45 pm (assumes November 25th)

This is the camera angle over the steps up to Magellan's statue.

Here's the link to the picture

It's a wide angle shot so it looks distorted.  The walkway that the Barbies are on is directly behind the statue in this shot.

Since this shot has D&K running alone and we have another shot at the same location with them right next to Romber I think that this is the location of an Intersection where teams have to pair up and work together.

The zodiac shot has the Chas paired with Eric and Daniel.
Very Nice, Chateau!

If that isn't an Intersection--I think that would be a very interesting two teams to join forces--I would have thought they would be in conflict from the first go! :meow:

They seem to be sharing a map...

So where are they going? They better have a really good task here to make up to me about no Antarctica!!
Well, OK. I was kind of doubting P.A., but I'll throw in the towel. Compare the signs to the facade of the Hotel Plaza.

THINGS TO DO IN PUNTA ARENAS:So the statue is to Magellan--don't forget to rub his toes!

CENTER CITY

Around the Plaza de Armas are government buildings; the Club de la Union (Union Club); and mansions with turrets, beautiful roofs, glassed-in sunrooms and well-kept gardens with huge "araucaria" trees (slow-growing native trees revered by the indigenous people of the region).

The plaza itself is full of huge, old trees, and in the center is the Monumento a Hernando de Magallanes (Monument to Ferdinand Magellan). Note that the toes of one of the bronze indians is polished and shiny. Local legend states that everyone who touches these toes will return to Punta Arenas someday, making the statue a favorite with tourists and locals alike.

The panoramic views are taken from the Mount of the Cross:

MOUNT OF THE CROSS

There is a wonderful panoramic view from the top of this hill of the entire city, with its red, blue and yellow roofs and streets sloping toward the Strait. On the horizon Tierra del Fuego can be seen, as well as Monte Sarmiento (Sarmiento Mount) and the southern part of the Brunswick Peninsula. The wrecks of old sailing ships that have remained where they ran aground also can be seen in the distance.

To see the other side of the city, go to the northern peak of Cerro de la Cruz. Follow Señoret street to Colón avenue, turn left and walk uphill for two blocks on this cobblestoned street dating from colonial times. This peak offers a different view of the area - the city's industrial section, the Barrio Hortícola (Horticulture Neighborhood), the Zona Franca (Duty Free Zone), and a lake used for ice skating to the left. Eight kilometers in the distance are the ski slopes of Cerro Mirador (Lookout Mountain), lines of open clearings slashing through the forested slope of the hill.

About the Cemetery--

THE CEMETERY
This cemetery is interesting because of the huge mausoleums built years ago by the area's wealthy families. José Menéndez, an important pioneering businessman, has one of the most imposing mausoleums. It is a smaller copy of the Victor Manuel monument in Rome. The cemetery also contains a memorial to the fallen indigenous people of the region.

Some forts--

FORT BULNES AND PORT FAMINE
Both of these sites are located approximately 60 Kms. south of Punta Arenas. They are interesting primarily for their historical significance. Puerto del Hambre was an early Spanish settlement along the Strait of Magellan, and Fuerte Bulnes established Chilean authority over the region. To reach these sites, travel south on Route 9. The road winds along the edge of the Strait, and along the way can be seen the remains of shipwrecked boats

And my favorite--two places to see penguins--one where you walk among them!

OTWAY INLET
The penguin colony is located 65 kilometers north of Punta Arenas on Seno Otway (Otway Inlet), along the northwest of the Brunswick Peninsula. The Magellanic Penguins return annually to this spot between October and March to lay eggs and raise their young. At the site, you will walk approximately two kilometers to the middle of a natural reserve filled with penguin burrows to see the comic antics of these delightful and defenseless creatures at close range.

MAGDALENA ISLAND
This island and its neighboring islet Marta is home to tens of thousands of Magellanic Penguins, cormorants, other birds and sea lions. Both islands make up the Monumento Natural Los Pingüinos (The Penguins Natural Monument), located 25 nautical miles north of Punta Arenas. The estimated population of the penguins on these two islands is more than 50,000 penguin pairs.
The boat trip to Isla Madgdalena offers contrasting views to the west and east of the Strait. On the west coast can be seen the Tres Puentes area, the village of Río Seco and other small settlements along the shore. Industrial centers and oil production centers can be seen in the distance, such as Bahia Laredo and Cabo Negro. Toward the east, the coast of Tierra del Fuego looms flat and long. In front of Isla Magdalena can be seen the deep Bahía Gente Grande (Large People Bay), a name that was given to this bay by Pedro Sarmiento de Gamboa four centuries ago because of the tall stature of the indigenous Ona tribe.

GEORGIAPEACH, I am following up on your THINGS TO DO IN PUNTA ARENAS. I previously suggested that Magdalena Island was the only really good thing to do in the vicinity of PUNTA ARENAS. I have discovered another one. The southernmost point of the South American land mass, excluding the islands of Tierra del Fuego, Cape Horn and all of the smaller ones, is at Capo Froward just south of PUNTA ARENAS. It is where the Strait of Magellan makes a turn to the northwest before continuing on into the Pacific Ocean about 200 miles further.
Great link for Punta Arenas excursions!!  full listing

Inludes:

Porvenir
 VS Porvenir - City tour

Crossing the Magellan Strait is located Porvenir, the capital of Tierra del Fuego Province. A pioneer city characterized for its livestock development and gold extraction. We will visit its main natural and cultural attractions.

All year round Ask for departures in low season
Departure from your Hotel at 08:15am Return at 16:00p (On Sundays the stay is longer)
 Price per person
USD 80 Price per person on Sundays USD 90
 Includes:
Transportation  Ferry tickets Box lunch Spanish driver-guide Additional: english guide USD 65 per group.

Also:
Hiking to San Isidro Light-house

Horseback Riding in the Brunswick Peninsula

"Adventure to Cape Froward" :
   Departure from Punta Arenas heading south .At 55 kms. (34 miles) is located Mansa Bay. Here we will board a zodiac vessel which will take us to Cape Froward ; the southern most tip of the American Continent. After 3 hours of sailing we will hike to the top of the hill, where the southern most lookout of the World is waiting for us. Afterwards, we will return to Punta Arenas.

Kayaking on the Strait of Magellan

"Río Verde" Excursion
   Río Verde is a place of great natural beauty, located at the shore of the Fitz Roy Channel and the Skyring Sound. We will visit an old cattle, houses, yards, etc Also we can see a variety of birds such as the majestic "Condors" and "Ñandues".

"Pali-Aike National Park"
   Located at 210 kms. from Punta Arenas. Here we can see a special landscape. The area was a volcanic activity zone and still it’s possible to see large spills of basaltic lava. The Fell Cave with 10.000 years old human remains and large herds of guanacos (patagonian llama) and ñandues (lesser rheas) are very attractive as well

Mountainbike Circuit (3 hours) "Brunswick Peninsula

Fly Fishing - Punta Arenas

Cerro Campana Hiking  and 4x4 Adventure

Fort Bulnes

Otway Sound Penguins Colony

Magdalena Island Penguins

Sailing on the Magellan Strait we reach the Magdalena Island , you will see the largest colony of Magellanic Penguins (about 60.000). This excursion is not made daily and is subject to weather conditions.

And lots more!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:46:08 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP3:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »
I thought you all would have figured out what Charla & Mirna are doing as well as Rob by now  :lol:
It appears to be the same area ..

I can't tell what Mirna is wearing? at Hacienda Yanahurco this is what she wears..

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP3:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
All I noticed so far is that Mirna is making Charla carry the lumber.   :lol3:
lol ..in Charlas other hand she is carrying more stuff ..and Mirna as well

Fishing poles

I think so too...but I remember some fishing pole thing in Africa that had a net attached--I think this looks vey similar.

Yes to the Cotapaxi.

I have no idea what Charla is carrying!  :lol:She also has a shiny little can --tools? paint? But I have seen homes just like that in my searches this week--maybe Ushuaia? Punta? Darn--can't remember!

Landscape where the flat tire is looks like the flat part of Porvenir...

What did we decide about the view of Drew? I have no memory of this on the first race--did they do a jump? I of course remember the famous bungee but without checking the recaps--I'm thinking maybe this is new? Oh boy, I can't wait!
I'm thinking maybe PA for the map task (same place as the telephone poles, right?) There's a magellan statue in the town square, and the map looks similar to the Mercator-Hondius map.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP3:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »
Damn it  :lol:!! Chateau's post was suppose to come after the above ones, not first ! I hate moving posts!! ..off to the drawing board...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP3: ( working title)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 02:09:21 PM »
Chateau d If:

I know what they are doing!

They are setting up Distance Poles on Cerro de la Cruz in Punta Arenas:  photo ref

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:15:24 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »
Chateau d If :
And here is the where they do it:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:16:06 PM by puddin »

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
ok I need a break for real life stuff but will try to get most of the pictures over here ..groans  :groan:

i think puddin needs an assistant :lol:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
Thanks Puddin.  You're the best!   :hugs:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP3: ( working title: "I want to go to Paris" )
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »
We love you puddin!  :luvya: And appreciate all you do every single day!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline reality.tv.

• RFF Full Member
  • Now all we need is The Amazing Race Canada!
Re: EP3:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »

I was Just wondering since you guys do all this stuff to figure out the time using the sun can you tell who is leading Romber or Charla & Mirna
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:51:04 PM by puddin »
BB10 RENNY FAN FOREVER!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 06:02:21 PM »
OK, I'll try again. Compare the funny-looking roof next to Eric's shoulder with this shot from GE (Panoramio). Cerro de la Cruz:

Heres where the GE pic and the promo pic were taken from:

Fwiw, an interactive PA street map here. The town square ("Sector Central Plaza de Armas") and Cerro de la Cruz are only about 4 blocks apart.

I guess Charla has to haul the timber up the hill from Magellan's Statue.

This clip was taken between 2:59 and 3:18 pm (assumes November 26th)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 03:43:02 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
This shot on Cerro de la Cruz was taken between 1:37 and 2:01 pm (assumes November 25th)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:54:10 PM »
Does this make you happy Big Papi !

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 01:22:41 AM »
It really looks like an Intersection for Romber & BQs :)

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 10:29:44 AM »

Absolutely Chateau..thank you. They appear to be looking at a clue, it appears that Eric has a map, and they are focused.  :happy: :wohoo: Someone wondered what the green was in an earlier thumbnail. We now know that it is half of Eric's green jogging suit.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 10:32:09 AM »
And they are ahead of Charla & Mirna and Romber.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 10:36:21 AM »

Absolutely Chateau..thank you. They appear to be looking at a clue, it appears that Eric has a map, and they are focused.  :happy: :wohoo: Someone wondered what the green was in an earlier thumbnail. We now know that it is half of Eric's green jogging suit.

I didn't know it was Eric's jogging suit :D DUH!! Thanks Papi !!

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
I didn't know it was Eric's jogging suit  DUH!! Thanks Papi !!

Yer welcome puddin..but I didn't know either  :lol3: until Rose told me he wore it here during Christmas  :groan:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 11:13:54 AM »
 :flowers: Thanks again Papi! I thought it was a bag or something  :lol:

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
If they do go to Antarctica, between Punta Arenas and Ushuaia is another possibility -- Punta Arenas is another prime spot for flights to the 7th continent. Don't know if the dates can be worked out...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »
Before I forget ...what are the gold rings?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »
Sorta looks like a compass, only it's too large. Is Rob holding a ring too?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 10:24:28 PM »
Sorta looks like a compass, only it's too large. Is Rob holding a ring too?
Maybe TPTB made them some good props Slowhatch? they do look like compass's and Rob is holding a gold something.

Maybe it fits in with your map (I'm going to find the post... )