Author Topic: EP4: "No Babies on the Race!"  (Read 119723 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP4: "No Babies on the Race!"
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »
Some clues on "End of the World" in the web clues:

It refers to Patagonia, Argentina
Particularly Isla de Los Estados, there is actually a lighthouse called Faro del fin del mundo ("Lighthouse at the end of the world"), is said to have inspired Jules Verne for his book The Lighthouse at the End of the World.

I think this is it...

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2007, 03:48:45 AM »
And Thanks to everybody! 

NO-- :thankyou: Slowhatch for all the thoughtful, well-considered posts!

Looking forward to the next 1000!

:conf: :dancer: :conf:   
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2007, 04:10:56 AM »
Slowhatch said:

Early guess: the greeter is a park ranger (although technically Redonda isn't a part of the park) or the "postmaster."

Here is the Postmaster in 1999--possibly could be??

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2007, 07:52:45 AM »
A few points about Isla Redonda:
  • This page notes that the island is a nature preserve and tourism is limited
    It is a place almost untouched by human hand. There are two trails, each about 20 minutes in duration that you can walk at your own pace. Remember, protecting the environment is the top priority. It is best if our presence is unnoted and we leave nothing but footprints and take only photos.
    Maybe there are penalties if a team leaves the trail. It makes you suspect that the ferry landing (see below) is an "amazing" sign just there for the racers. Strange that they would take the longer route out of Lapataia rather than the short trip out of Puerto Guarani (Bahia Ensenada).
  • This page describes a weather station with a 12-m tower on the island.
  • This page has pictures of polar post offices, including Isla Redonda (it's not the "southernmost" p.o. in the world, but...OK  ;D). The Guidos photo is probably just a different viewpoint (I don't recognize that thing in the background).

SLOWHATCH, ye of little faith on your 1000th post. You believe that the producers of the Amazing Race would actually try to put one over on the public with a special sign. Well, I don't think they did. Please look at the sign below, the photo of which orginated on an Argentinian tourist site that shall be unnamed and note how the sign construction for both signs is typical of the area. The only thing that bothers me about your sign is that it is in English, obviously not the prevelant language for Tierra del Fuego.

Also, I may have the answer to your dilemma about why the access to Isla Redonda was done from Lapataia and not Bahia Ensenada. Lapataia is the official end of Route 3, the Pan American Highway (it says so in my sign besides saying so on the maps). Route 3 is straight north/south on the way to Lapataia so the shortest route in to the water is via Lapataia. To go to Ensenada where the boat crossing is much shorter involves turning east off of route 3 and taking rougher roads.. One further aspect that certainly was decisive is that from Lapataia it allowed the producers to control the boating since they were contracted boats and captains and keep everything out of the public eye. At Ensenada the regular boats there might have a monopoly but certainly would have been more public.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:04:51 AM by apskip »

Offline NDIrish

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: EP4
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »
I looked at this picture and I'm not sure if I found somthing or not ...... David & Mary with Romber ?  ???

I think that is Kandices blue bandana?

I think is her blue bandana, too. 

The hat that David wears is a Univ. of Kentucky Wildcat hat and they are a deeper, almost royal blue in their teams colors.  I was able to zoom in the picture RT posted :yess: and I don't see any U of Ky blue in the background.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »
I still think that there is an intersection on this leg. Maybe they do the detour together, then split up and have to do the roadblock alone?

In the shots of Rob and Amber / Dustin and Kandice D&K are wearing different  clothes then they are when they rip the number off the clue box.

hmm...I'm excited for this ep guys!  :wohoo:

Offline NDIrish

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2007, 10:25:14 AM »
Wow that was fast Slowhatch  :yess: link and WTG on the mileage posts Chateau!!

Nice clear video for once!!

VO: and keeping cool under pressure
Charla: WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!?
Mirna: stay awake..
VO: You've got to see how this episode ends
Rob: I'm not even close to my prime..
VO: new Amazing Race All-Stars...

I think that Mirna is telling Charla "stay away". 
But then last week I was hearing bugs or bucs instead of boobs.... :lol3:

Offline sharkattack

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »
So do we know who wins this leg ? I haven't seen any pics or vids showing anything.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »
Just finished replaying Ep 3. During the Metri task, Eric told Danielle (more than once)  to "stop being a baby." So I'll guess the title comes from E/D.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2007, 12:28:53 PM »
Just finished replaying Ep 3. During the Metri task, Eric told Danielle (more than once)  to "stop being a baby." So I'll guess the title comes from E/D.

I totally agree about this one. (Big Papi--close your eyes here...sorry! :kissy:)

Eric was not very nice to Danielle during Fish-block. Now most of us believe that they were not a true couple by the time the race began, but even as just a team-mate he could have been more supportive.

I hope that the CBS clue of 
**Another team reaches meltdown point when one member feels put upon by another.
does refer to Danielle--it is time she put Eric in his place. While I'm sure that Eric may be frustrated at not having quite as strong of a partner as Jeremy was--Danielle did a very good job at overcoming what was an obvious fear of fish ( :lol:) and Eric needs to be more encouraging towards her. Compared to how badly she raced last time, she is doing much better this time around and deserves some respect from Eric. But I'm afraid that  we may see more of this kind of behavior from Eric, as his track record of respect towards women is --shall we say--just a little lacking!

I definitely do not think that this would be The Cha's, T/I, Romber, or the Guidos based on how they work so well together. U/J or the BQ's--might feel it but are probably too savvy to show it for the cameras. Ch/Mirna--maybe--but they seem to end up supporting each other no matter what--so, IMO, that leaves E/D too.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
**Another team reaches meltdown point when one member feels put upon by another

True that Slowhatch ...as well as "boobs" multiple times :grins:....
 This is why my guess is Bill & Joe .. pretty sure its Bill that tells Joe not to cry and in one of the shots we see this
:neener:

So do we know who wins this leg ? I haven't seen any pics or vids showing anything.
There are no pictures, how dare they! lol !!  I'll guess The Cha's or Eric & Dee?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »
I have a little question.

Why is Rob standing in this shot?  I thought teams were in Zodiacs.   ???

I don't think you can stand like that while it is speeding along.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »
puddin--you have done SUCH a nice job of organizing all this--but are the previews all together somewhere? I have the sinking feeling I've missed one!

(Taxi? I didn't see no stinkin' taxi!)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2007, 01:05:12 PM »
puddin--you have done SUCH a nice job of organizing all this--but are the previews all together somewhere? I have the sinking feeling I've missed one!

(Taxi? I didn't see no stinkin' taxi!)
Back one page peach ..still waiting on Phils preview to help piece the pictures together but that won't be untill Thursday  :umn: . I guessed at what went where for now.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
Cape Verde, Spice Islands, Canary Islands, Philippines, Cape of GH, Celebes...It looks like a Magellan-specific task.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »
I just want to say a word in defense of DANIELLE. In these episodes, she strikes me as a no-nonsense type of woman who knows what she wants($500,000, not Eric) and will take a bit of verbal abuse to get it. She holds her tongue most of the time, but when she decided to let it fly she is capable of putting it to wicked use. Remember, in real life this woman is a bartender earning the money to finish a Master's degree. She is smart enough to let Eric think he's totally in control of all decisions for their team, but when she has something important to interject, I'll bet it gets interjected and it will be in situations where Eric has no choice but to listen.

Hey, BIG GRAND-PAPI, you must know her better than we we do from our limited TV exposure. What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:57:32 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »
Cape Verde, Spice Islands, Canary Islands, Philippines, Cape of GH, Celebes...It looks like a Magellan-specific task.
your good Amazing Slowhatch
 :jumpy:

I'm thinking maybe PA for the map task (same place as the telephone poles, right?) There's a magellan statue in the town square, and the map looks similar to the Mercator-Hondius map.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2007, 01:47:34 PM »

And isn't there a Zanzibar connection too? But maybe after he died?

i know he's considered to have "discovered" the Philippines...

Hmmm..any connection to Poland or Malaysia? Do we have a theme going here? ;D

Thanks for the previews puddin--I did miss one! (Whatever happened to the midweek AOL ones? ???)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
The question of how the teams get from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia still bothers me. I have been trying to come up with a scenario that gets them there by plane. One that I considered was if all teams could make the scheduled 2pm Saturday departure, but that will be only 3 hours after the earliest possible arrival into Punta Arenas, so that's no good. I have discovered the regular flight schedule for DAP Airlines on Monday and Wednesday:

REGULAR FLIGHTS PROGRAMS

Punta Arenas - Ushuaia
Time of Flight: 01:00 Hrs.
Airplane:TwinOtter
Capacity: 20 passengers Summer season
(Nov - Mar)
Monday and Wednesday Leaves Hour
FL-100 PUQ 09:00

Now, that same TwinOtter would be sitting around on Saturday evening Nov. 25 or Sunday morning Nov. 26 available for charters to take 8 teams plus 4 crew along. This may be how the producers get the teams there. They would have to pre-position the other crew with another charter flight or by ferry/road.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »
Yay! I knew you would be figuring this part out for us! :ty3:

This whole Timeline thing for this episode is absolutely driving me insane. I can't seem to figure it all out...

We know they are in Tierra del Fuego Sun Am to do tasks (Zodiac boats, post office on Isla Redondo, etc) 11/26

The Pitstop promos suggest serious bunching and a major race to the finishmat.

So then what? Pitstop late afternoon/early evening 11/26.

12 hours=depart AM 11/27
36 hours=depart AM 11/28
So why were the Guidos booking tickets with sad faces late on 11/28??
Given what we have seen--they certainly shouldn't be hours behind other teams...

Unless...and here is where they are really messing with me--

Just when I've grieved and given up on Antarctica (take a deep breath...feel the  Cha's Zen...go with the Flo {what the!! :lol:})    :wall:

Could we possibly be going there after all??   Humor me a little....We have 36 hours to play with... and there is the whole something everyone will be talking about thing...

I know, I know--but I'm obsessing about those extra hours...

Lord knows our guys need some serious rest but have we ever had a 48 hour Pitstop??

The guy who first posted the Ushuaia spoiler was a serious fan and spent quite some time looking for them around town, and never found any other evidence of the teams anywhere...so where would they have been? Even in a tent on an island in the park there are loads of other tourists around cause that's the busy time of year...I think they had to keep them moving somewhere...

Okay--feel free to start calling the men in white coats--I can't help it if I'm having ice-y delusions!  :crazy:

I blame it on Penguin fever! :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline $HOP@HOL!C

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2007, 04:03:25 PM »
What is this dock thing???

It looks to me like BQs are grabbing number "4".
&& i think Romber says the title, b/c they could say that to Charla when they're fighting.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2007, 04:38:13 PM »
apskip, thanks for the flight info.

just going through my pictures and was lurking around Ushuaia last night ..this flash of the boats was in one of the earlier promos ..
I don't know if it match's up... I'm just throwing it out there.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »
More guesswork. Rob's post has all the markers on the same plane, facing the same way. Either he's made a boo-boo or it doesn't matter which way the markers point. What then? Maybe get the Magellan locations, or put those locations in the correct order (or both), then show it to LocalMagellanExpertGuy who says yes or no. It's unrealistic to expect the racers to know that much history, so that's where the map comes in. And maybe the compass as well, although we still haven't seen the other half of the Detour.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2007, 05:55:17 PM »
" LocalMagellanExpertGuy " :rotf:
Slowhatch do you think there is any evidence of am intersection? I'm not convinced.