Author Topic: EP2: "Beauty Is Sometimes Skin Deep."  (Read 84850 times)

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
Re: EP2: "Beauty Is Sometimes Skin Deep."
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2007, 12:48:55 AM »
Does anyone know if its been uploaded to You Tube? Im DESPERATE!

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
TPTB threw in a 18 hour pit stop which threw our timings off, but no matter they all ended up arriving in Santiago at the same time (Romber and the Chas were about 15 minutes behind) and then all bunched up again on the flight to Calama. If Joyce hadn't given the answer to Ian, he might still be trying to figure out where all the letters were or what the spelt.

Drew and Kevin really got nasty on the flight to Calama; pulling other people's bags out of the overhead bins in first class (a smart move on whoever did that) as they got on the plane.  It looks like Drew emptied half of his bag out, or he never could have taken it on board with him.

Note the really small bags that Rob and Amber are carrying; who needs a change of clothing every day? In fact, Rob's is not a backpack at all, but a side carrying messenger bag.  Smart move on the part of Romber.

Amber is pretty darn good moving that front-loader around.  Surprise here since Rob was on camera saying that this wouldn't be hard for him since he had been driving things like this for 10 years when he was working in construction (before his Survivor, Surviror All Stars, TAR and TARAS years!)  Did he say anything when Amber climbed on board?

So far the tasks haven't been all that physically challenging.  Are things about to change?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Quote from: Red Sox
Does anyone know if it's been uploaded to Youtube?
It's up.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2007, 11:39:34 AM »
I seriously can't believe Rob and Amber came in first again. I hope that the spoilers are true and that they fall from their pedestal.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2007, 02:25:03 PM »
TPTB threw in a 18 hour pit stop which threw our timings off, but no matter they all ended up arriving in Santiago at the same time (Romber and the Chas were about 15 minutes behind) and then all bunched up again on the flight to Calama. If Joyce hadn't given the answer to Ian, he might still be trying to figure out where all the letters were or what the spelt.

Drew and Kevin really got nasty on the flight to Calama; pulling other people's bags out of the overhead bins in first class (a smart move on whoever did that) as they got on the plane.  It looks like Drew emptied half of his bag out, or he never could have taken it on board with him.

Note the really small bags that Rob and Amber are carrying; who needs a change of clothing every day? In fact, Rob's is not a backpack at all, but a side carrying messenger bag.  Smart move on the part of Romber.

Amber is pretty darn good moving that front-loader around.  Surprise here since Rob was on camera saying that this wouldn't be hard for him since he had been driving things like this for 10 years when he was working in construction (before his Survivor, Surviror All Stars, TAR and TARAS years!)  Did he say anything when Amber climbed on board?

So far the tasks haven't been all that physically challenging.  Are things about to change?

GMAN, it was David and Mary's bags. I applauded when I saw Drew do that. When I travel on an airplane, I HATE IT when people from other sections of the plane early board and steal my luggage space. Passengers in coach are not allowed to put bags in first class luggage compartments unless explicitly given permission by the flight attendants. If that had happened, David would have said something. Instead, he just went and put his bags back in the same place. I am looking forward to seeing the last of KENTUCKY in episode 3. They are getting on my nerves (almost as much as Mirna and Charla and, surprisingly, more than Rob and Amber so far).

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2007, 03:25:13 PM »
 :ythat:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »
Buddy TV interview with Kevin and Drew

Is there anything from last night’s episode that they didn’t show that you wish they had?

Kevin: Yup, absolutely.  Right from episode one, do you remember we completely destroyed our car just trying to get there?  Well, the front end was destroyed so it was un-drivable.  So what they did was they held us back, they made us fiddle around with the car for about 20 minutes and then we said, “Okay, we can’t drive it, we can’t get it out of the mud, we’re going to try and fix the flat.”  And then on top of that they gave us a 15-minute penalty.  So when it says that we left at such and such time, add about another half an hour, 45 minutes on that and that’s when we actually left.  So given the fact that we finished five minutes behind the last two teams, I mean that half hour penalty was big.  I don’t know why they didn’t show that because it’s very part and partial to the story that’s shown.  Drew getting oxygen wasn’t part and partial to the story that’s shown.  You’d already seen enough of him falling and nursing his various injuries and talking about his medicine. The oxygen was nothing.  They should have used that time to show we had a half an hour penalty, that’d make more sense

Did any of the teams annoy you? Was there anybody that you really didn’t get along with?

Drew: No, we kind of got along with everybody.  Even the incident with David and Mary with the luggage, they didn’t show it afterwards, but that became a non-issue and I’m very good friends wit Dave and Mary now.

Kevin:  We all laugh about it. It wasn’t nearly as scandalous as it looked on TV.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »
From Kevin and Drew: " I mean that half hour penalty was big."

NOT quite. Since Kevin and Drew were on the same flight from Santiago to Calama as all thet other teams, the penalty meant absolutely nothing. Also, they left Hacienda Yanahurco at 854am and would have arrived at Quito Airport around 1pm. The flight from Quito to Lima left at 605pm, so they sat around the Quito airport for nearly 5 hours. The only things that ultimately were big were their inability to know when the speed limits changed to 50 km/hr, their inability to know which way to turn at the final junction, and their feeble walking from the car to the mat.

This is supposed to be REALITY TELEVISION.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »
Did any of the teams annoy you? Was there anybody that you really didn’t get along with?

Drew: No, we kind of got along with everybody.  Even the incident with David and Mary with the luggage, they didn’t show it afterwards, but that became a non-issue and I’m very good friends wit Dave and Mary now.

Kevin:  We all laugh about it. It wasn’t nearly as scandalous as it looked on TV.

:snicker:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
Free at last!  ;D After 3 days of voir dire on a gang murder case, the defense team booted me on a preemptory challenge. I guess they just didn't like me; I'm so ashamed  :snicker:. Back to work.
The exhibit was De Proa al Mar.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »
Free at last!  ;D After 3 days of voir dire on a gang murder case, the defense team booted me on a preemptory challenge. I guess they just didn't like me; I'm so ashamed  :snicker:. Back to work.
The exhibit was De Proa al Mar.

Ha! Congrats on your escape! They salivate when they see me coming....I've been called for jury duty 9 times and served on all 9 juries--I'm just the ideal juror I guess! You'll have to tell me your secret!

Great pickup on that doggone exhibit! I must have googled every possible combo of nautical or maritime art/exhibitions/exhibits and as did puddin--I looked all over Santiago. Hate it when we can't find something! :umn:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
Ok, guessing time. This site mentions directions to Valle Muerte:
a few kilometres off San Pedro, on the right (NE) side of the road to Calama.
During the show, there was a sign that the marked the east entrance and you could see cars driving through a defile. Unless production rented the entire park (a possibility), I'll go ahead and mark the pit stop on this small branch road.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2007, 01:28:51 AM »
We have a planitarium in LA; it's where you learn about them planits.  :lol:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »
Ok, guessing time. This site mentions directions to Valle Muerte:
a few kilometres off San Pedro, on the right (NE) side of the road to Calama.
During the show, there was a sign that the marked the east entrance and you could see cars driving through a defile. Unless production rented the entire park (a possibility), I'll go ahead and mark the pit stop on this small branch road.

SLOWHATCH, my analysis of the way into Valley of the Dead indicates  a different possibility for where the mat area was. I think it was much closer to the main road. Please take a look at my file initially meant to be .kmz but with misfunctions I had to turn it into a .jpg file which does not allow Google Earth manipulation. Please note that where I think it is is just left of the Photographic point shown just before the big curve to the left. Your PitStop thumbtack is on the far right. the junction of the main road and entrance road is on the far left.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:09:37 PM by apskip »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2007, 10:11:58 AM »
I don't see a kmz attached, but without a lot of markers (one pile of dirt looks a lot like any other  ;D), your guess is as good as mine. I chose my spot for three reasons:
  • the policeman, who was parked at the edge of town, told the BQs it was only two kilometers away
  • cars are seen going in the east entrance
  • cars can be seen traveling through narrow passages before they get to the pit stop road
Like I said, there aren't a lot of markers and it's just a guess.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2007, 11:28:51 AM »
I can't make fun of Eric for spelling, because I suck at it.

I actually felt a little ssorry for him.  He had wrote down the letters he saw, and he looked at the pictures (including the correct one), but he didn't see the "H" on the pen and thus didn't have the letters for it.  SOmeone on another board said, well if he had the Q then he should automatically have figured it out.  But according to the show there were extra letters, so for all he knew the "Q" could have been an extra letter.

Though, I will say, unless there was additional info restricting this.  I would have just wrote down each  location and then show the guard until I got I right.

Nobody tried this, so I would almost say their had to be a some restriction on it.

Or almost everyone who didn't figure it out immediately (like the BQ,s and Mary) are idiots.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
That was Joyce; Eric wrote down Aquarium.
I couldn't cap the whole instruction sheet, but there was probably something in there--going to the back of the line, etc.--to prevent people doing multiple guesses.
This cap from Mirna is curious. I've found Sky Airline (but the webpage won't load) and of course LAN chile--but there doesn't seem to be any flights matching those numbers. Of course, things could have changed in the last 3 months.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »
I can't make fun of Eric for spelling, because I suck at it.

I actually felt a little ssorry for him.  He had wrote down the letters he saw, and he looked at the pictures (including the correct one), but he didn't see the "H" on the pen and thus didn't have the letters for it.  SOmeone on another board said, well if he had the Q then he should automatically have figured it out.  But according to the show there were extra letters, so for all he knew the "Q" could have been an extra letter.

Though, I will say, unless there was additional info restricting this.  I would have just wrote down each  location and then show the guard until I got I right.

Nobody tried this, so I would almost say their had to be a some restriction on it.

Or almost everyone who didn't figure it out immediately (like the BQ,s and Mary) are idiots.

MSWOOD, I think you've solved the puzzle with your last sentence. The racers may be the most interesting of all Amazing Racers, but nobody ever claimed that they were the brightest. The clue as I understood it directed them to look at the items on the wall and then work with the letters from the things around the table. What related to letters on the items on the wall? Only nameplates with names spelled out. I would have written down all 9 of the nameplates (only Mary did this if I remember correctly; will wonders never cease?) and then began the letter comparison against them to rule them in or out when enough letters indicated that.