Author Topic: Antarctica ..  (Read 30668 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: Antarctica ..
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
I just checked all my recorded promos for TAR6 Premiere and the entire occupation of Iceland.  The shot of 'bergy bits' above never appears.  The icebergs in the detour there have a whole different look.  The shot above looks like busted ice from the surface of the ocean.  It's not the kind that would be from a glacier falling into the sea.

Once we check TAR2's Alaska we should be able to call it Antarctica ice.   :jam:

picture source
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 06:59:14 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
Here is a shot of an icy surface before it gets busted up that I took a while back.

Anybody know where it is?   :rotf:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 07:24:48 PM »
Your back yard? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 07:36:56 PM »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 07:58:35 PM »
Farther away!

It's an ocean...

but it looks like you got it

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 11:00:36 PM »
Interesting ICE Facts...

Bergy Bits and Growlers
Very small chunks of floating ice that rise only about 1 meter / 3 feet out of the water are called "growlers". When trapped air escapes as the iceberg melts, it sometimes makes a sound like the growl of an animal, and that's how growlers got their name.

Small icebergs, rising between 1-4 meters / 3-13 feet out of the water are called "bergy bits". These may be small icebergs in the latter stages of melting, iceberg fragments, or pieces of floebergs or hummocked ice.

Bergy bits may sound cute, but they can still be dangerous to ships because they are harder to see than large icebergs.

A "floeberg" is a massive piece of sea ice composed of hummocks (ice that rises up because of the pressure of ice floes jamming and crushing against each other) that has separated from the ice pack. It may typically protrude up to 5 meters / 16 feet above sea level.

As the ice pack is frozen sea / salt water, floebergs - unlike true icebergs - are not frozen freshwater and would not make good ice cubes for your drink.

( Links: Icebergs, Source of Icebergs

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 11:18:51 PM »
I have turned my attention to legs beyond the first one, specifically to legs 2, 3, and 4. Leg 2 should be a trip to the Atacama Desert of northern Chile. There are 3 possible airports there: Arica, Iquique, Antofagasta. The highest probability (by a small amount) of these three goes to Antofagasta, which is a mere 600 miles by road from Santiago. That opens up the possibility of a long bus or self-drive trip to begin leg 3; it also might be a flight to Santiago. The rest of leg three will be a flight from Santiago to Punta Arenas, Chile. The most logical next step is a flight to King George Island(Isla Rey Jorge), which is 100 miles off the Antarctic Peninsula, and overnight there followed by a return to Punta Arenas. Given the times and distances involved this could mean a double leg. For leg 4, from Punta Arenas there is a 3 times per week one hour LAN flight or a twice per week 11 3/4 hour bus involving crossing the Straight of Magellan to get to Tierra del Fuego and Ushuaia, Argentina. The one thing that is certain (beacuse van Munster said so) is a trip to the bottom of South America. That is Cape Horn, Chile, a national park on an island  and it is about 125 miles south of Ushuaia. The teams would have to do that by boat or helicopter. After returning to Ushuaia, then you can fly out to get to southern Africa. My guess is that the flights connect through Buenos Aires.

The connection Equator to Tropic of Capricorn to maybe Antarctic Circle (South 66 degrees 33' 39") would be a whiz-bang start to AR11.

I'm all for that!  :yess: I'll be so disappointed if they don't go to Antarctica (or south pole or whatever Bertram called it)

That blog sounds like something I would LOVE to read--can you provide a link to that? (Feel free to send me a message if you need help doing that--it took me ages to learn and I just about drove puddin crazy with questions while I learned... :js:)

Tropic of Capricorn in Chile--it is near our hand!
El Mitad del Mundo "Middle of the Earth" Equator monument--just north of Quito
Looks like you beat me to it Peach  :lol:  Look no shadows!  Its 12 noon at the equator.   ;D

MITAD DEL MUNDO
I have heard that it is actually 18 seconds of arc south of the equator!  Ref. 

And, using GE, I got that the monument was too far south by 787 feet.

ANTARCTICA

Today's weekly travel issue of Newsday.com contained a really good article "Over Antarctica" about the flight that 33 passengers of a cruise ship took from Puntas Arenas Chile down over King George Island and selected parts (unidentified) of the Antarctic Peninsula. This summary of travel options at the end of the article may interest you:

Our Antarctic flyover out of Punta Arenas, Chile, was offered as an extra-cost excursion to passengers of the Norwegian Crown ship (ncl.com) that sails from November through March between Buenos Aires and Santiago, Chile. Price of the excursion: $1,599 (all prices in this story are subject to change).
These programs are limited to cruise passengers, but there are options for civilians. Among those we found:

Aerovias DAP (011-56-61-223340; aeroviasdap.cl), a Chilean airline serving Patagonia, offers one-day flightseeing and a two-day, one-night program that includes an overnight at a base on King George Island, one of the islands off the coast of continental Antarctica.
Upside to King George Island: It's popular with penguins and technically qualifies as "Antarctica," if you're keeping score. Downside: When you're there (the "season" is December through March), its usual lack of ice and snow won't match your image of Antarctica.
Price of that flyover (subject to change) is $2,300; the overnight version is $2,950. Depending on demand, the aircraft can be an eight-seat Beechcraft or a 40-passenger plane. Other points: Hefty non-refundable deposits are required, and passengers are advised to plan on spending several nights in Punta Arenas (not a bad place to spend several nights, under these circumstances) to allow for alternate dates in case the weather doesn't cooperate.
"It's amazing," Isabel, a reservationist in the Punta Arenas office who made the trip in March 2006, said of the experience. "And you can see the penguins very close."

An option that combines the flight, which eliminates the days and potential discomfort associated with crossing the Drake Passage by ship, with a ship-based expedition is offered by AntarcticaXXI (011-56-61-228783; antarcticaxxi.com), also based in Punta Arenas.
This program flies passengers in a 50-seat plane to King George Island, where they board an expedition vessel (limit: 46 passengers) and off they go.
Prices for the seven-day program start at $7,100 per person, double occupancy.

Flyovers from New Zealand, nearest gateway after South America, ended after a 1979 flight crashed into 13,200-foot Mt. Erebus on the continent, killing 257 passengers and crew. But Antarctica flightseeing from the region resumed in 1994, and these days there are two flights annually, both from Australia -- one out of Sydney and a second leaving from Sydney with a stop in Melbourne. The most recent was on New Year's Eve, and the next is scheduled for Feb. 7. These are 12-hour flights -- four hours to Antarctica, four over the continent and four back -- aboard a Qantas Boeing 747, with prices based on seat location. Prices: from $713 for a seat you probably don't want to $4,126 for First Class and a guaranteed window seat during prime time. Food and bar included. Details: Australia-based Croydon Travel (011-61-3-9725-8555; antarcticaflights.com.au).

Now, if you're really serious about this Antarctica thing and can afford the cost of seriousness, there's a U.S.-owned company that operates out of Punta Arenas with programs that fly you into the interior: Adventure Network International (adventure-network.com). Among its programs: an Ice Marathon. Price: $15,000. A seven- or eight-day adventure that will get you to the South Pole and back runs a tidy $33,500. There are more options. A Wilmette, Ill., agency that features adventure travel, Northwest Passage (800-732-7328; nwpassage.com), can answer questions.

Most other access to Antarctica is via ship out of (or at least stopping in) Ushuaia, Argentina, in vessels ranging from luxury cruisers to small-ship expeditions utilizing converted Russian icebreakers. Prices are all over the map.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 12:00:22 AM »
Puddin--great idea to put this all in one thread! 

But the discussion started WAY back on page 16--right after the Guidos were spotted  in Ushuaia.

I'll help bring stuff over tomorrow if you want--but can you put them in chronological order? And you want all references to Antarctica?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
 :groan: that far back  :lol:? peach if you want to help that would be great... :tup: ..doesn't have to be everything just the interesting stuff, links, facts .. etc.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »
I don't know if this has been noted yet but here is a city map of Ushuaia.

You can find the location of the internet 'coffee'   :lol:

The locutario where the pics were taken was at the corner of 25 de Mayo and San Martin in Ushuaia.

It is near the bus drop off as well as the main city pier.  So a boat drop off is also a possibility.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 01:12:16 PM »
Oooh! I love maps!

What do y'all think about starting a map thread? Someplace we can quick check when we need to find somewhere?

We have them...they are just sometimes hard to find when you need them!

For instance, I LOVE this map--but will I be able to find it in Antarctica?! :lol: ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: Amazing Race All-Stars Media/Library/News * maybe spoilers*
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
Sheepskins and leather
--pictures please! :flirt: You must have some of the man-in-uniform variety!

GMAN when you say it was summer, was that Western Hemispere Summer?  Because if so then that should be the colder part of the year for the sputhern Hemisphere.  Just curious, becuase I would think it could get significantly colder then 70 below.

It was summer for the Southern Hemisphere which runs from December 21 to March 21.  And in the Antarctic we had sunlight almost 24/7 during this time, so it was a little warmer than normally is the case in the Antarctic.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »
Opps!

I thought this was for Ushuaia too. 

Yeah, a map thread would be good.   :jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »
We are all over the place  :rotf: ..too bad we didn't think to atleast start a " South America " topic sooner.
Go ahead and start a map thread peach or Chateau.. you don't need me permission.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 02:44:30 PM »
Or a thread for each continent! Oh, well...

I think I will start a place for maps--because I can navigate really well with the right map but I get grumpy when I don't have one!

I'll move over the maps we have so far...(or at least try!)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
We could start a new thread for each continent but who feels like going through all those other threads to dig out the info?  :rotf:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
Not I said the fly!

I'm going to make the maps my Super Bowl project!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline dark alessa

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 01:34:59 AM »
I just checked all my recorded promos for TAR6 Premiere and the entire occupation of Iceland.  The shot of 'bergy bits' above never appears.  The icebergs in the detour there have a whole different look.  The shot above looks like busted ice from the surface of the ocean.  It's not the kind that would be from a glacier falling into the sea.

Once we check TAR2's Alaska we should be able to call it Antarctica ice.   :jam:

picture source
brrr but it's cold and by the way cool picture

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 05:20:38 PM »
Can we lock this or no?  :-\

Is the race more difficult than previous seasons?

First of all, the terrain and territories and countries are more difficult. This makes it hard, because it’s physically very exhausting, and that puts a lot of pressure on your psyche also. Some of the countries we went to were Ecuador and down into Chile. The northern part of Chile is all desert, and the southern part is basically very remote and very primitive. It’s very hard to get to. We went all the way to the southern point, which is really close to the South Pole. These places are very, very unique, and very difficult to operate in.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »
Please not yet....

I'm still in denial--can we wait a little longer? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 05:52:32 PM »
lol peach ...if you want to see Antarctica your welcome to come visit my house  ;)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »
 :lol:

Blame it on the weather.  It's gonna be like that half of the Alaska detour in TAR9 that was not used due to flying conditions.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 07:09:40 PM »
Can we lock this or no?  :-\

Is the race more difficult than previous seasons?

My vote is NOT YET. In the words of that sage Yogi Berra, "It's not over til it's over."  There is still a very slim chance that our Antarctica thread may come in handy. Once the USHUAIA pit stop is reached, you can lock it with certainty.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
lol peach ...if you want to see Antarctica your welcome to come visit my house  ;)

hey--stick up a picture of your back yard or something! Hopefully that will be all the snow I see this year!

For a southern girl who hates to be cold--wonder why I got so attached to the whole Antarctica thing? I think I just wanted to hear Phil say: SEVEN continents...!! :lol:

Thank you apskip! Us "cock-eyed optimists" have to stick together!  Hmmm..there are still those unknown locations after Maputo! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »
For those still holding out hope there's this article (with photo gallery), published a month ago, about overflights from PA that can be accomplished in less than a day. Me? I'll stick with Ushuaia.