Author Topic: Antarctica ..  (Read 30667 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Antarctica ..
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »
I don't remember seeing an icefield like this before. The lagoon in Iceland looked different. Could it be the Alaska part of TAR2? I don't have that on video. The URL, fwiw:
http://www.axnasia.com/displays/images/200702/tar-allstars-512k.flv

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:32:37 PM by puddin »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race All-Stars Media/Library/News * maybe spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:47:32 PM »
SLOWHATCH, it reminds me of pictures I have seen of ice floating off the coast of Antarctica. It could be taken from King George Island or from the Antarctic Peninsula on the coast at the Antarctic Circle. Let's hope so.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:00:05 PM »
Brrrrr....Antarctica ice!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
Good Times and not the same..

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »
Good catch Slowhatch  :wine:

omg the old intros were fun to watch !

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
I've googled Ushuaia along with icebergs and "sea ice" without much luck (a glossary here, fwiw). I'm trying to think like a producer, but it's still a puzzle. A cruise vessel would eat up way too much time; on the other hand, watching racers stare out an airplane window would be dullsville. 
I wiped my pc clean
No viruses, I hope. I format about twice a year; the pc just gets "gunked up" after a while and starts to slow down.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
Ice could be Chile. Grey Lake/Glacier:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:05:39 AM »
I've googled Ushuaia along with icebergs and "sea ice" without much luck (a glossary here, fwiw). I'm trying to think like a producer, but it's still a puzzle. A cruise vessel would eat up way too much time; on the other hand, watching racers stare out an airplane window would be dullsville. 

My thoughts are that the racers are flown to King George Island, where such ice flows are common. They then may be taken by helicopter to the Antarctic Peninsula at the Antarctic Circle just to say they've done that. That would probably be on the coast and could also provide nice ice flow shots.

SLOWHATCH, nice sighting of the expressway exit for the clue box in AR7 final episode. As I was scrolling down, when the picture first came up from PUDDIN, I knew what it was and then I saw your getting it right. I have a question for PUDDIN: Where did this picture appear? In what context?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 09:27:57 AM »
PUDDIN: Where did this picture appear? In what context?
I think these came from the All Stars promo that was on AXN which puddin kindly youtubed for us...

puddin said:
I youtubed the AXN preview(in the Fun Box ) for All Stars.. I see nothing new, as far as I can tell, but its fun to watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWPFut0kr0

Okay--are we finally in that realm of "you know you have been thinking about spoilers WAY  too much...when you start analyzing ice cubes?"

:lol: :lol: at all of us!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 10:24:15 AM »
What peach wrote apskip, the Florida TAR7  :tup: pic came from the AXN promo.
Okay--are we finally in that realm of "you know you have been thinking about spoilers WAY  too much...when you start analyzing ice cubes
How many ice cubes can you count in Slowhatch's original pic  peach  :lol: ?

mwoodens back  :woohoo:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
The ice flows around Antarctica are known as PACK ICE.  The closer you actually get to the land mass, the thicker the ice gets until it is solid ice formed as an ICE SHELF.  Coast Guard icebreakers can power through the pack ice but not the ice shelf.  Little America was built on the Ross Shelf Ice; McMurdo Sound base is actually on the solid land mass.  I sent Puddin some black and white pix some time ago; color wasn't that common in my days in the Antarctic.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
Okay--now's our chance! There are 300 cruise ship passengers stranded in Antarctica --so what questions do we have??  :lol: :lol:

color wasn't that common in my days in the Antarctic
Gingerman--would you tell us a little more more about why you were there and what you were doing?  :please:  I'm so interested!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
Okay--now's our chance! There are 300 cruise ship passengers stranded in Antarctica --so what questions do we have??  :lol: :lol:

color wasn't that common in my days in the Antarctic
Gingerman--would you tell us a little more more about why you were there and what you were doing?  :please:  I'm so interested!

I was in the Army as a combat motion picture cameraman and in November 1946 my unit was "volunteered" by the Army to accompany Admiral Byrd on his return to Little America in December 1946 in the largest expedition that was ever mounted to explore Antarctica - some 12 ships, 9 planes, and 7000 sailors and us 4 Army photographers.  The operation was called OPERATION HIGHJUMP. We filmed just about everything in both black and white and glorious color.  Our film, along with the film shot by the Navy photogs, was given to MGM who produced the documentary film: THE SECRET LAND with Robert Montgomery as the narrator.  The film won the Academy Award for the best feature documentary in 1948.

I spent most of the time on a ship travelling almost three quarters around the continent dodging icebergs and pack ice.  We had three Martin Mariners on board (thats a sea plane) and we would put them overboard almost every day and then fly mapping flights over the continent. In all we were in the Antarctic for four months then returned home via Sydney for a week's R and R!  Sydney, by the way, is a great place for R and R!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 10:27:53 PM »
reposting Gmans fantastic pictures  :kissy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 10:48:17 PM »
Wow G-man!!

Our own Academy Award winning poster--this is impressive!

Is that film still out there--how can I see it? I've become so interested in Antarctica thanks to TAR that all of this is fascinating!

What's your best story?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »
More pictures from Gman    :kissy:
Icepack up close

Our ship in the ice

Putting the plane overboard.

Take off in front of icepack

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us Gingerman! What an incredible adventure to have been a part of--have you ever thought of writing a book about all this?

And in the days before high tech clothing--how the heck did you stay warm? (Spoken like a true southern girl....)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us Gingerman! What an incredible adventure to have been a part of--have you ever thought of writing a book about all this?

And in the days before high tech clothing--how the heck did you stay warm? (Spoken like a true southern girl....)

Sheepskins and leather.  Also some brand new (then) nylon downish sort of stuff.  And it was summer so it never really got that cold, just down to minus 20F when the sun was close to the horizon.  In the air it got down to something like minus 70F.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
Sheepskins and leather
--pictures please! :flirt: You must have some of the man-in-uniform variety!

My parents were in Alaska not long after that--my Dad was a pilot--but I never heard of anything  this bad--
And it was summer so it never really got that cold, just down to minus 20F when the sun was close to the horizon.  In the air it got down to something like minus 70F.

I might have to reevaluate my longing to see Antarctica now... :js:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 08:16:34 PM »
How did you keep your weiner schnitzel warm Gman  :js: ?

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 10:24:15 AM »

Trade Secret :-[

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
Sheepskins and leather
--pictures please! :flirt: You must have some of the man-in-uniform variety!

My parents were in Alaska not long after that--my Dad was a pilot--but I never heard of anything  this bad--
And it was summer so it never really got that cold, just down to minus 20F when the sun was close to the horizon.  In the air it got down to something like minus 70F.

I might have to reevaluate my longing to see Antarctica now... :js:

Well I can't speak of Antartica.

But I lived 25 years in Alaska, the coldest it ever got for me was outside of Fairbanks where (just temperature no wind chill factor or aything) was  62 below zero..

But it was by far the coldest winter I had ever had, with what seemed like a month of low temperatrues that were 40 beow and worse.

Needless to say I am sure 9 months later there were probably many new borns entering the world.

I have heard from Russians that I knew growing up that Siberia could get much, much colder even then that (Yikes).  I can't imagine what part sof Antartica would reach.

GMAN when you say it was summer, was that Western Hemispere Summer?  Because if so then that should be the colder part of the year for the sputhern Hemisphere.  Just curious, becuase I would think it could get significantly colder then 70 below.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 02:23:39 PM »

Trade Secret :-[
  :lol: Ahh I just knew you could handle keeping your weiner warm Gman, just like you handled your sausage   :kuss:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Antarctica ..
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
I pulled the above posts out of the media thread so that antarctica can be discussed in one thread if possible ..seems were all over the place with it  :lol:
Maybe you all can help me bring " quotes " over here from the spoiler thread?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Antarctica ..
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
I think antartica discussion starts around page 41 ?

heres some of the quotes that I coped for now ..

"borderline South Pole" in Antarctica
I'm not sure what's meant by that. Argentina lumps Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego), the offshore islands and the Antarctic station all into one province. Unless they arranged a government plane, there's only one commercial camp: ANI (here's their base in the Patriot Hills), which is owned by ALE (here's a charter flight list for 2006-2007). ANI/ALE only flies out of Punta Arenas, which is a little more confusing; maybe they didn't leave Ushuaia at all.

SLOWHATCH, you'll have a lot more success if you are researching Antarctica claimed by Chile. There are weekly flights and occasional boat trips into King George Island. It is at the 60th parellel, which some people consider to be Antarctica and others not, which could explain why CBS is hedging on that point. You can find out about the flights from a link on the Ushuaia website.

Which link is that? I found a couple of official sites with street maps and photos--the city government website and E-Ushuaia--but both are in Spanish. Ushuaia seems to a popular starting point for ship tourism; the flights I've found seem to be mostly "fly-overs." The past few weeks I've been checking polar sites like 70 South and the Antarctic Sun for news, but no luck; you'd think if the circus came to town  :ele: somebody would have noticed.

Slowhatch --this is my favorite site with lots of info about flights to Antarctica from Ushuaia, maps of Antarctica, and maps of King George.

And here is a good Ushuaia site .

And I know what you mean about the circus--I've read more Antarctica blogs looking for info than I'll ever want to count!