Author Topic: EP1 Title: "I Told You Less Martinis And More Cardio."  (Read 161057 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP1 Vidcaps
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »
My guess is pitstop because we talked about having so many people come to the ranch--but I can't say with any certainty. Sorry!

Any luck with mapping this out? How are they getting to the desert?

Fernando Cobo P., the ranch owner and host “patron” of Yanahurco welcomes you to your most exciting and unforgettable adventure in the Ecuadorian highlands. 

GENERAL INFORMATION ON YANAHURCO

Location: Yanahurco is located 100 km from Quito, behind the Cotopaxi National Park to the southeastern side of the Cotopaxi Volcano. It is approximately 3 and half hours away from Quito in a 4x4 car drive. 
Altitude:  3.550 to 4.200m above sea level or ranging from 11.000 ft. to 13.000 ft
Weather:  During the summer, from October to May, days are sunny with clear blue skies, sporadic rainfalls, and moderate winds. Temperatures vary from 5ºC to 18ºC   or from 41ºF to 64ºF. In winter, from June to September, it is rainy and cloudy with fast winds. Temperatures vary from 0 to 10ºC or from 32ºF to 50ºF.
Flora:   A variety of trees, highland plants and typical flowers of the Ecuadorian Andes are found everywhere and abundantly around the waterfall many of which are considered living relics. Some areas within the hacienda have microclimates such as the Jatuncocha Lake located in the eastern section of the ranch.
Fauna:  A grand variety of species of birds such as the Andean hummingbirds, falcons, and Andean condor, hawks and eagles are found here.  It is the ideal place for ornithologists and bird watchers. Mammals like Andean wolves, lions, deer, spectacled black bears, tapir, wild goats, rabbits, wild horses and wild bulls called Cimarrones are found on the hacienda.
Museum: The ranch has a small interpretation center where you can admire samples of some of the most important wild animals and plants on the hacienda.
Fishing: Only sport fishing allowed.
Hunting: Forbidden.
Horses: More than 80 tamed highland horses.
Access: Restricted.  Only for guests.
Transportation: Vehicles 4x 4 equipped with radio communications, not included in the rates. Please contact us or your travel agency for costs.
Accommodations: 12 double and triple cabins with full bath, fireplace or furnace, and the hacienda has 110 AC electric light.
Meals:  Typical Ecuadorian and international meals, bottled water for drinking or soft drinks, and bar service.
What to bring: warm clothes, hat, scarf, gloves, sun protector, jacket, rubber boots, and sleeping bag only for lagoon tour.  Bring along your photo or video camera.
Communications: Private radio communication to Quito.
Emergencies: The ranch has first-aid equipment,

Note: In all tours and during your stay at the ranch, constant advice and information is given to the visitors. The ranch will not be responsible for personal accidents that may occur. You will be required to sign an insurance waiver.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:21:03 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »
The picture caption tells us it was the pitstop .. sorta reminds me of the Mongolia TAR 10 pitstop...ahh flaming arrows, good times!

"Episode 1101" -- Host Phil Keoghan waits as teams race to the Pitstop on THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS, which airs on the CBS Television Network. Photo

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2007, 12:51:43 PM »
And puddin--if I forgot to say yesterday--

:congrats: AWESOME job finding this! No wonder you are the "Chief" of the "Detective Agency"!

And thanks apskip for all the menus--now I'm starving!

And a big welcome to TPorter2! :welcome: It is nice to see you over here too!

I still feel sorry for Mirna and the cows! :mechbull:    :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline reality.tv.

• RFF Full Member
  • Now all we need is The Amazing Race Canada!
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »
Are you calling Mirna a cow??  :o
BB10 RENNY FAN FOREVER!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2007, 01:54:44 PM »
Are you calling Mirna a cow??  :o

Heavens! No way!

I just remember that she doesn't like beef and was afraid of the cows before! I posted a link way upstream if you need to re-remember why!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Good Luck!

Did you find anything out from the Deering Estate?

Well, team, we are on a roll! :dancer:!!

I have confirmation that CBS (interesting that it was listed as CBS not WRP) was filming on site at The Deering Estate from 0600 until about noon on November 20th!

And also confirmed (for Slowhatch :kuss:) that cigarette boats are allowed into their boat basin with "special permission" and that indeed, they were used!

And she was not entirely clear about the details but did believe that there were cars available for them as well!

Such a GREAT day in RFF land! Awesome work, everybody! :werock:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Good Luck!

Did you find anything out from the Deering Estate?

Well, team, we are on a roll! :dancer:!!

I have confirmation that CBS (interesting that it was listed as CBS not WRP) was filming on site at The Deering Estate from 0600 until about noon on November 20th!

And also confirmed (for Slowhatch :kuss:) that cigarette boats are allowed into their boat basin with "special permission" and that indeed, they were used!

And she was not entirely clear about the details but did believe that there were cars available for them as well!

Such a GREAT day in RFF land! Awesome work, everybody! :werock:

so if there were cars this would make the second time there has been 2 sets of cars availible to the racers on a leg in the amazing race

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »
Chateau-- :waves:

Can you get us from the hacienda to the Atacama Desert? And maybe from Quito to there? I love having a map but Google Earth hates me....

And I am about to make some phone calls--anything we want to ask for sure? (Hope the haciendda folks hablo English! ;D)

Since nobody has risen to the Google Earth opportunity, I will repeat what I stated in post #1119, page 45 of the AR11 SPOILERS thread. First, you go back to Quito airport. then you do one of the following, depending on which city is most appropriate given the actual clue given out at the Ecuador pitstop:

For leg 2 from Quito to each of the three Atacama desert cities, there are these possibilities for flying, all but two involving an overnight flight from Quito through Santiago:

QUITO to ARICA
departs 1805 through Lima and Santiago arriving 1050
departs 2145 through Santiago arriving 1320

QUITO to IQUIQUE
departs 2145 through Santiago arriving 1045 or 1135
departs 0740 through Panama City (?? 1000 miles north) and Santiago arriving 0045 next day
departs 1805 through Lima and Santa Cruz Bolivia arriving 0550

QUITO to ANTOFAGASTA
departs 2145 through Santiago arriving 0925 or 1015
departs 1805 through Lima and Santiago arriving 0845

I hope this satisfies your request, GEORGIAPEACH.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2007, 04:45:40 PM »
Hmmmmm only 12 cabins at the Hacienda.  11 teams and Phil.  Where do all the crews members, producers, TPTB, hanger oners, etc. stay?  Seems like the only place could be back in Quito.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2007, 04:51:23 PM »
GINGERMAN28, there are at least 10 other haciendas providing accomodations to tourists in the Cotopaxi region that I discovered while searching for any other haciendas that are involved in the cattle roundup (I only found one). There should not have been a problem as long as the Amazing Race production unit made reservations well in advance, which they would have done.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2007, 04:59:34 PM »
Hmmmmm only 12 cabins at the Hacienda.  11 teams and Phil.  Where do all the crews members, producers, TPTB, hanger oners, etc. stay?  Seems like the only place could be back in Quito.

CAMPING

The YANAHURCO Hacienda has assigned a special site for those who wish to go camping. This campsite will provide the group (minimum 5 persons) with all the comfort and security they need for a pleasant, quiet, comfortable and unforgettable stay. The hacienda is a private property carefully managed at all times. Thus, ensuring the privacy of its visitors. The campsite includes the following: a large hut (5x5m) with grill and space for barbecues and a half bathroom. Electricity services at night, from 18:00 to 23:00. For persons who have no camping equipment, the hacienda offers the ¨blue house¨ with three bedrooms with complete bathroom and hot water for 14 persons (minimum 10 persons).

Fernando and I talked about how the have lots of facilities for camping PLUS the guest house. Of course this all was just in a theoretical kind of way, as he was very careful not to confirm or deny anything on the phone.

I did get the feeling that this is a little bit "off the beaten track"--needs 4 wheel drive to get around, etc...so my guess is that they all stay right here. Fernando is used to coping with movie crews etc so I think they could probably manage our crew!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2007, 06:39:14 PM »
Camping? hmm maybe we will see Phil pitch a tent  :flirt:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
Camping? hmm maybe we will see Phil pitch a tent  :flirt:
Thats not the type of tent I want to see Phil pitch puddin. :lol:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2007, 07:04:39 PM »
Puddin

It looks like you have converted Peach and apskip.  Tehy'll never look at hte race the same way again. :jam:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2007, 07:08:40 PM »
In Whirley's Yanahourco set cited earlier, there's a campground picture called "tourist-ville." While this might be ok for the racers, it doesn't answer where the crew might stay; we'll probably know after the Ep 01 credits roll. A couple of other things about the album: she apparently missed the racers by only a day or so; and her viewpoint for some of the photos seems to match the pit-stop view.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2007, 07:52:33 PM »
I looked through Whirley's slideshow Slowhatch...it was a good find  :tup:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2007, 08:06:44 PM »
It looks like they did overlap in time at the ranch:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »
This on was taken on the 23rd.  I figure that teams arrived on the 21st or 22nd.  And then they leave on the 22nd or 23rd!

Wow, so close.  Let's look closely at these pix.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
There is a tour called ANDES CATTLE ROUNDUP. Part of the tour took place at Hacienda Yanahurco:

Day 5: Monday, 13 November
Today will be your grand opportunity to canter in some parts of the ride: crossing terrain that resembles the lunar surface, pass the Santo Domingo Lake; descend to the Vicious Valley, a canyon formed by the Cotopaxi lava flow route; and spot along the ride herds of wild horses, fox, deer and birds of the area. A hardy welcome will be given to the riders by the personnel at Yanahurco Hacienda, the largest hacienda in the Ecuadorian highland with its 72,000 acres. Its spectacular chagra traditions and farm life will enchant you from the moment you reach its premises. After Lunch, we receive the chagras that will work in the farm cattle round- up, explore the surroundings of Yanahurco by foot and admire this vast, widespread region that has preserved various endangered animal habitats. At night, enjoy a briefing of Yanahurco`s attractions and activities such as its annual cattle rodeo and its wild horse rodeo by a sparkling fireplace. Sleep in comfortable private rooms, warmed by furnaces, quits, and hot water bags for your delight. A hot water shower will surely be comforting after this wonderful and exciting day is over......
Day 6: Tuesday, 14 November
Today you will be given the chance to ride with real chagras, mustering wild fighting bulls in the most incredible mountain environment. Everyone saddles up to ride and gathers by horseback in a semi-circle in front of the "patron" (owner of the hacienda) and head of the chagras to be given the riding instructions for the day. The circle of mounted chagras and riders is a colourful sight you will surely find incredible. You will be assigned a chagra who takes care of you for the day and makes sure you will be safe at all moments. We ride up the "páramo" to the high ridges surrounding the local mountains, climbing from 3600 to 4000 m. Listen to the loud series of calls and whistles the chagras accustom to communicate amongst each other in order to indicate the position of the various bull groups - "vaca jaja!", "vaca carajo!" are samples of the echoes heard in this vast, beautiful land where everyone participates from their positions. Gradually each rider works his/her way down pushing the cattle ahead down into the valley bottom. Some of the "bravo" bulls are lassoed with two ropes and expertly driven into the corrals. You can participate in this exhilarating work or hang back and watch. These bulls are undeniably "wild" and have bred from Spanish fighting stock, so you must be an experienced rider to join in. After a long ride east towards the gateway to the jungle, passing rain forests and land of wild cattle, at mid-day you reach the spectacular Jatuncocha Lake (800 m long and 600 m wide). A rustic campsite stands next to this solitary and untouched site.
Overnight accommodations are waiting for you and your team of riders and horses. Enjoy preparing trout you have fished during the evening next to a warm campfire and eat a delightful dinner which the chagras will serve. Sleep tight in your sleeping bag under a pitch black night sky covered with twinkling stars reflected on the calm waters of the lake and hearing only the sound of silence inside a typical highland grass hut.

This could have been precisely one week before the arrival of AR11 on Nov. 20 (or maybe 21st if they went elsewhere in Ecuador first).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:05:43 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »
Chateau--here is a link to the relevant parts of her blog--but there is no info about the race that I can find.

On another subject, could you maybe post a decent map of Ecuador? It would really help me if I could have Quito, the hacienda, and the other airport (Guayaquil) on there, and maybe the equator place too? I'm trying to figure out where else our racers might go but the little map I'm using isn't doing the job!  And if you wanted to do Chile too (especially with the desert on there)...I'd be grateful!

This is all I have  :(    I need a pretty map!    :please:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »
Still haven't found a decent opposite view yet. If you enable Panoramio in GE you can get the lat-long--as Chateau mentioned, it's in the fuzzylands--as well as access to this photo (original size here). You can see the earthen corral and wooden rodeo ring. The pit stop might be on top of the small hill, but judging by the perspective I'm thinking it's only halfway up.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
GEORGIAPEACH, here is a better road map of Ecuador(once you click on it, please expand it to 250% for best viewing):

ECUADOR ROAD MAP

Quito is clearly marked. You need to go down to Lasso on the main highway and then go east a few miles to get to the area when Yanahurco is. The hacienda is not identified on the map. Otavalo is clearly marked to the north of Quito right on the main highway(it happens to be the Pan American if I remember correctly).

Here is a map of Cotopaxi province where Yanahurco is(again after clicking expand to 250%):

COTOPAXI PROVINCE MAP

Although it is easy to find two places with the name Yanahurco, there is no marking for Hacienda Yanahurco.

Chile is weirdly shaped, due to being no more than about 100 miles wide and 3000 miles long, so maps showing the entire Atacama Desert could be difficult. I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:32:20 PM by apskip »

Offline charlierose

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
Hi you guys!! I am amazed on all the hard work you have done. You are the best!!

'
I have a question. I have read and read all the posts and do not get this. On the captions of the preview someone says "Peru is nice".  What does Peru has to do in all this. They go to Ecuador and Chile. Does that caption is just to lead us on the wrong way or what??

Another thing, If you need a translation for Spanish, I could help you guys, Spanish is my native language.

Can wait for the 18.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2007, 09:41:41 PM »
CHARLIEROSE, one of the team of Kevin and Drew made that comment, so the other one corrected him by reminding him that they were actually racing in Ecuador (so how would he know that Peru was nice!). this was a typical non-sequitur that Kevin and Drew used a lot of in AR1.

Offline charlierose

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks!!