Author Topic: EP1 Title: "I Told You Less Martinis And More Cardio."  (Read 161062 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP1 Vidcaps
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2007, 10:30:25 PM »
Apskip:thankyou:

Those are great maps--MUCH better than what I was struggling with! I'll try to post them (unless they are too big) so that anyone else who is feeling map deprived  doesn't have to suffer any more! Don't know why I couldn't find a good one--so thank you! Thank you!

I wa struck by the dates today--we know they flew out of Miami on Nov 20, arriving in Quito late-ish that evening. And we know that they were at our hacienda on 11/21 (or at least Phil was based on the date on his photo). The teams aren't seen again until we see The Guidos on 11/28. So that's a whole week. Now certainly an extended pitstop could affect the schedule, but I kept thinking 2 days Quito-Hacienda, ?2days Chile (desert), ? 2+ days Ushaia ( and maybe Antarctica--fingers crossed). So just in case we have a spare day in Ecuador, I wanted to do some further exploration--so that's what I'm working on.

Camping? hmm maybe we will see Phil pitch a tent  :flirt:
Thats not the type of tent I want to see Phil pitch puddin. :lol:
Girls!!  :o :-[ :o   (but you can count me in too!  :yum: )

Puddin

It looks like you have converted Peach and apskip.  Tehy'll never look at hte race the same way again. :jam:

Awww....she had me at hello! :blume:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
Some of the maps required an activex control download, so I'll save everyone the trouble. The ranch, on the eastern slopes of cotopaxi, would seem to be at the dead end of a road that branches out of Machachi (home of the chagra cowboy); so take the Pan-Am highway from Quito to Machachi and hang a left.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:41 PM »
This on was taken on the 23rd.  I figure that teams arrived on the 21st or 22nd.  And then they leave on the 22nd or 23rd!

Wow, so close.  Let's look closely at these pix.
The data on Phils pitstop picture, waiting for the racers was 11/21/2006 :)
Apskip thanks for the map links and HEY you figured the linky thing out   :jam: !!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
Almost forgot..peach's new man  :angel:

Fernando Cobo
(Yanahurco’s Coordinator)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2007, 11:04:43 PM »
Puddin !! Wheee!

:luvu:   I TOLD y'all he was charming!  :fan:

I always was a sucker for a guy with a  nice accent....

Hmmm....I feel a new avatar coming on!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:37 PM »
 :lol:

heres some pictures we might see in the introcaps around cotopaxi park..

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2007, 07:47:02 AM »
GEORGIAPEACH stated "I was struck by the dates today--we know they flew out of Miami on Nov 20, arriving in Quito late-ish that evening. And we know that they were at our hacienda on 11/21 (or at least Phil was based on the date on his photo). The teams aren't seen again until we see The Guidos on 11/28. So that's a whole week. Now certainly an extended pitstop could affect the schedule, but I kept thinking 2 days Quito-Hacienda, ?2days Chile (desert), ? 2+ days Ushuaia ( and maybe Antarctica--fingers crossed). So just in case we have a spare day in Ecuador, I wanted to do some further exploration--so that's what I'm working on."

It does take most of 24 hours (assuming you start late morning from a pit stop in Ecuador) to get to any Atacama Desert city. My thoughts are:
1. that it is too early for an extended 36 hour rest stop,
2. that tasks around Ushuaia and Cape Horn are not likely to have consumed more than one day, and
3. that the obvious conclusion is the trip to Ushuaia is preceded by going through Puntas Arenas (possibly just to change planes) and
then to/from Antarctica for 24 hours plus a trip from Puntas Arenas one-way by plane or bus to Ushuaia.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Amazing Race 11 All Stars ..*spoilers*
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2007, 12:13:06 PM »
I have a serious problem with Episode 1 and I need your opinion...

Where is the DRAMA? Where is the HOOK?

I'm talking ziplines, bungee over Victoria Falls, parachute from 20,000 feet, ascend the Great Wall of China----knock-your-socks-off "let's reel in  10 million more viewers" first episode excitement!!

So far we have deliver teams by cigarette boat, team intros, get to Miami airport, (all not exactly sit-on-the-edge-of your-seat), flight to Quito, arrive about 8:08 with daylight until 10 PM or so, run for taxis...Maybe go into Quito? I still think that going on to our Equator monument would be good visuals, and that is what I would choose.
La Mitad del Mundo--Literally "The Middle of the World," this monument marks the spot where in 1736 Charles-Marie de la Condamine's scientific expedition made measurements that verified the location of the equator. Hosting a model of colonial Quito, a planetarium, a ethnographic museum, and a number of restaurants, this monument is a very popular attraction. Also, the brilliant yellow line splitting the world in two, makes for an irresistible photo opportunity with a foot in each hemisphere. A trip to the monument is often included as an afternoon segment of Quito city tours, but it is easily an excursion on its own

Then what? We know we eventually end up at Hacienda Yanahurco, with the Roadblock almost certainly some sort of rodeo/roadblock task. We know Phil was there on the 21st, leading us to think that the teams arrive that day also--but it is possible that his photos were taken one day early. It takes 3-4 hours to drive from Quito to Yanahurco over rough roads, and allowing say 3 hours or so for the roadblock, we still have at least till 2 or 3 on the 21st for our "detour is a choice between 2 options" event.

So depending on whether or not we think they have just the 1st part of the day on the 21st --and remember it is light by 4:30to 5 AM sunrise at 5:56 AM--(which keeps us nearby either Quito or the ranch), or possibly an extra day letting us go slightly further afield--what options do we have for DRAMA, you ask?

Me too! I've been looking for possibilities for two days, and the options are not plentiful. Here's what I have so far:

In or nearby Quito:
---There is a cable car--(remember the "emergency/exit rapel down from a cable car from a previous season?)
---There is also
Bungee jumping.- Is practiced every Sunday morning through Andes Bungee. Tel. 2524796.
--- And there is Paragliding;
Where else can you paraglide from a volcanic peak a half-hour from a major metropolitan center? Several paragliding schools can be found within an hour of Quito. You can take a week-long training course, or entrust yourself to an experienced pilot on a tandem flight. Flights last around 10-25 minutes depending on the air currents, take place in the morning for maximum airlift. According to aficionados, trying to imitate a condor feels surprisingly natural - and you certainly won't get any better views.

(Escuela Pichincha de Vuelo Libre.- Address: Carlos Endara Oe3-60 and Amazonas. Tel. 2256592. Complete courses offered)
---and there is an active volcano (Guagua Pinchincha) on the outskirts of town with crater walks available

More to follow...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:54:14 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »
Slightly further afield:

There is Banos with an awesome bridge/bungee jump--but I've sadly ruled this out due to lack of time..

And then there is Mindo which has several possibilities (I like this place!) but might also be out due to time constraints--but I think it is only 2 1/2 hours away. For transport/directions:
Cooperativa Flor del Valle (M. Larrea and Asunción) leaves frequently from Quito (US$2, 3 hours). Also, the best access from Quito to Mindo is via the Calcalí-Esmeraldas road in a turnoff at Km 59 to the left leads you to Mindo

In Mindo:

--there is a rickety bridge
---rafting and tubing
---a zipline/cage thingy
--a 30 foot waterfall jump
--and -my favorite--rapelling down the waterfall (in the picture--see the red dot on the upper waterfall? That is the person!)

Still more to come...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »
Mindo waterfall rapel...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »
Here's Drama!   :lol3:

Charla almost left her passport and ticket with the ticket agent. He had to call her back to get them.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2007, 01:06:20 PM »
Here's Drama!   :lol3:

Charla almost left her passport and ticket with the ticket agent. He had to call her back to get them.

Not quite what I'm hoping for!

Closer to the ranch--there is Cotapaxi National Park--home of the world's tallest active volcano--

Cotopaxi National Park - Ecuador

An hour and a half South of Quito, along the Avenue of the Volcanoes, lays the dominant image on the Ecuadorian national psyche: the perfectly conical Cotopaxi volcano (altitude 5897m), claiming to be the world's highest active volcano. Even novice climbers can summit the glacier-topped peak with the help of a good guide, glacier climbing equipment and a hardy jacket. The views from the top on a clear day are incredible. Even so, it's a physically demanding climb, (if not technically demanding depending on snowfall and current glacier conditions) so proper acclimatization, good fitness, and training is essential. A week in Quito or any other Andean town with ample walking and summiting of a lesser peak or two should be sufficient.

Walking from the parking lot to the Refugio (base camp) is a popular and (literally) breathtaking activity. It takes an hour or so, and you must dress for cold, windy and possibly snowy weather.

Mountain biking in Cotopaxi is a spectacular once-in-a-lifetime experience. Descend from the refugio parking lot cutting through the thin air at bone chilling speed. Most of the park is (ironically) very flat due to historical eruptions that caused the glacier to melt and form literally flat lake beds around the volcano. This is all good news, since riding uphill at this altitude, you´re likely to bust a lung - or two.

There are popular treks that go around the volcano and another, called Trek of the Condor, which starts near Papallacta, passes near Volcan Antisana and finishes at Cotopaxi.

Cotopaxi Volcano, Ecuador information provided by Live Travel Guides

Mountain biking--maybe..she says doubtfully..remember the controversy over not giving Charla a child sized bike?

And I think climbing here is unlikely for 2 reasons-- that they are not acclimated and I don't think TPTB want to kill them (this is serious mountaineering!) and time constraints again.

So that's my ideas (Hee...I want to be a TAR route planner!) . What are yours??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP1 ( title someday ;) )
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »
Peach

Some very cool ideas, but I am really wondering if this first episode is going to have not only the actual time (during the filming of the episode), but in the 42 minutes edit of the episode that airs to show much.

I could see the bungee (which I do like, but I would prefer a non passive task), so I wouldn't mind that waterfall repel.

Biking doesn't seem visually interesting enough.

It might even be something, that isn't visual but task heavy like in seeason ten which featured the building of a walkway.  Where it would be much harder to guess on possible local possabilities.

I also wouldn't be surprised if either only one tasks is created for ths episdoe or if one task is edited out.  Something to look closely for when reviewing the episdoe when it airs.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
Just saw a commercial! Dustin & Kandice in what I assume, coming in on a speedboat ..same for Romber who are sharing their boat with Kevin & Drew!

boat name DONZI

Oh cool more Miami Vice!
Miami Vice Donzi's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QliQyNj3Mjs
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:05:58 PM by puddin »

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »
puddin check ur mail :kuss:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2007, 03:06:36 PM »

Some very cool ideas, but I am really wondering if this first episode is going to have not only the actual time (during the filming of the episode), but in the 42 minutes edit of the episode that airs to show much

I know! Doggone CBS anyway! We NEED a two hour premiere!

I was thinking the WOW factor for ratings--this is the week to try to grab viewers and we need excitement--so far it seems a little blah...

And the next week we have the Academy Awards to contend with so can't count on that for a ratings bonanza.

Let's keep hoping for a dynamite preview during the game!

And in honor of Kogs--GO BEARS!!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
thanks Kogs!!!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:17:58 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
30 seconds of Super Bowl commercial time = $2.6 million!

That might be all we get....

Let's see the level of CBS commitment!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Whirley

• " The Amazing ecuador girl "
  • RFF Not So Newbie
  • Me at Yanahurco
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2007, 03:28:08 PM »
Yes, I can confirm that CBS were filming at Hacienda Yanaourco as we arrived with my guests on their riding holiday tour in November. 'fraid I don't know who got eliminated, only that the TV crew got a truck stuck and had to leave it in the river.

Anyone know where I can watch the episode on TV from the UK (I was in Ecuador and am now back in England)? And since you've already found my blog and helped yourself to the pics ;) ... do let me know if I can help you out with any more info.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
Welcome ecuadorgirl !   :jumpy:

Thanks for coming here.

Can you tell us the times that things happened at the hacienda!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »
GEORGIAPEACH, you were speculating about the length of a day in Quito on Nov. 21. I have the answer. Sunrise was at 556am and sunset at 604pm. It is a 12 hour 8 minute day due to being on the equator. First light would not be until after 5am. Twilight would not linger past 7pm. That means a maximum light of 14 hours. However, since when has no light stopped the Amazing Race?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:38:49 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
Thief's ! OMG we are hopeless thief's  :groan: !! I don't know whether to laugh or cry ecuadorgirl  :lol: ? This is the extent us hopeless Amazing Race fans will go through, so sorry  :naughty:.
Nice to meet you and welcome theecuadorgirl  :hithere:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
Oh Whirley!  :hello2: :welcome:

We loved your blog! And absolutely beautiful photos!

I'm so glad you found us--do hope you don't mind that we hijacked your blog!

You overlapped with the Race--did you know that they were filming? Did you see anything? Any ideas what the task was? We assume a rodeo/roundup task---
Most important--was it the 21st or 22nd that most was filmed/

I wonder if they'll show that truck in the river!

Oh welcome!  :wohoo:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Whirley

• " The Amazing ecuador girl "
  • RFF Not So Newbie
  • Me at Yanahurco
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2007, 03:44:43 PM »
hello hello - i feel sooo welcome

Have just checked back in my diary, and I think that most would have been filmed on the 21st Nov, as we saw a fair few nice new TV trucks leaving on the road out on the 22nd.

We brought the wild cattle in on the 23rd, but the hacienda do a horse round-up first. So maybe they were taking part in that? I honestly don't know. I'd ask my mates who are still out there, but there internet access - understandably considering the terrain - is a little infrequent.

hope that helps!!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2007, 03:50:46 PM »
Thanks ecuadorgirl !

We think (well at least I do) that they may have been doing a rodeo type activity on the afternoon of the 21st.

Do you think that was what happened?