Author Topic: Reality TV on DVD  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Cheers from the Eiffel Tower
    • Carrot Sticks & Cottage Cheese
Reality TV on DVD
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:13:54 AM »
I thoguht i'd create a thread specifically for DVD's. Anyone with DVD news, feel free to share. Anyone with a question, ask here and the rest of us will see if we can answer it. Have any exciting DVD news, this would be a cool place to let everyone know as well.

Now that that is done, my first bit of news. I just found Season One of the Simple Life for four bucks. I couldn't pass that up. I'm going to have a marathon one of these days. LOL
When all is said and done, there is nothing more to say.

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Reality TV on DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »
Just did a check at the second hand video store and this is what I found.
Jo Schmo unedited Season on - $34.99
Survivor - Palau - $29.99
Two-A-Days Season One - $20.00
Simple Life Season One - $4.00

RFF Podcasts? - Priceless
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:45:33 PM by jeffreysg »

Bashful

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »
You did not say which second-hand video store you purchased from.  I assume you bought through an online business.  Are we not allowed to say where the deals are?  I would like to  know so I don't make a blunder by stating the source if we're not to give the URL.  Thanks.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:55:10 PM »
I want to know why they have only put out some seasons of Big Brother and the Amazing Race on DVD?

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
I want to know why they have only put out some seasons of Big Brother and the Amazing Race on DVD?
All I can speak for is Big Brother, because when Trevor & I talked to Jun (winner of BB4) she said that the entire cast has to sign releases to allow a DVD release, it was in their contract.

You did not say which second-hand video store you purchased from.  I assume you bought through an online business.  Are we not allowed to say where the deals are?  I would like to  know so I don't make a blunder by stating the source if we're not to give the URL.  Thanks.
Yes, you are allowed to talk where you find the best deals, of course, I would like it if you got it from http://store.realityfanforum.com but I am being realistic, and want people to find the best deals. Go ahead and spill your guts! :D

Rob

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
The deals I found were at a local DVD store. I shop there on my lunch hour.

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »
All I can speak for is Big Brother, because when Trevor & I talked to Jun (winner of BB4) she said that the entire cast has to sign releases to allow a DVD release, it was in their contract.

Yes, you are allowed to talk where you find the best deals, of course, I would like it if you got it from http://store.realityfanforum.com but I am being realistic, and want people to find the best deals. Go ahead and spill your guts! :D

Rob

So does it depend on the cast then?

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »
That's what it sounds like. I wonder if that's the reason why older Survivor seasons are not out. It's possible that the contestants now have to sign release forms so CBS can automatically put out the DVD's without having to get everyones consent.

Offline JamesUK

• RFF Jr. Member
  • The Amazing Race hits the UK!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 03:48:18 AM »
It would be nice if they could at least put out BB2-4, Amazing Race 2-5 and Survivor 3-6 on DVD so that people who want to catch up don't have to watch postage stamp sized files on their PC...

:lol:

Or files that look like lego people when blown up to the size of your TV screen!

The only "available" versions of most of these series are horrible. Actually I meant to ask this - do these series ever get repeated on some channel somewhere? I'd love to pay someone to record the early series onto DVD for me when they're on...

James

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 08:17:36 AM »
That's what it sounds like. I wonder if that's the reason why older Survivor seasons are not out. It's possible that the contestants now have to sign release forms so CBS can automatically put out the DVD's without having to get everyones consent.

I have always said, why not put it in the contract they sign to automatically allow for DVD release. It just doesn't make sense to make them decide.

And James, Usually we don't have any channel that re-runs episodes. Unless something like Fox Reality (Sorry for the curse word) re-airs the show. Survivor used to play on the Outdoor Network, but I haven't been paying attention lately. Big Brother, to my knowledge, has never been re-aired in the US.

Rob

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »
Also the Amazing Race was being reshown on the Gameshow Network I believe.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 10:58:19 AM »
Thats right, I forgot about that, but that is no more either, I believe!

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
Big Brother 3 (All episodes) were released on DVD.  It was 80 bucks at the time, but I bet you can find that on eBay.  The other seasons were never released on DVD (with the exception of BB4, but it was a "Best Of" set...I bought that anyways).

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
Pitty. I want my Survivor DVD collection to be complete!
Please CBS?!

Offline JamesUK

• RFF Jr. Member
  • The Amazing Race hits the UK!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 03:25:21 AM »
Well at least CBS are still releasing a steady trickle of Survivor DVDs (Vanuatu next?) - I must pick some of these up but shipping to the UK is not cheap!

They seem to have decided that TAR is not DVD worthy given how long it's been since TAR1 came out on DVD...

:'(

Maybe next time the UK Channel that shows TAR goes back to season 3 (as they do at least once a year - they only have the rights for seasons 3-7!), I'll make the effort to record all those seasons so I have them in decent quality!

That's good to know that BB3 came out on DVD - I might try and find that! I guess eBay is my friend for all this stuff (if I can find someone that'll post to the UK!)

I also get annoyed with the CBS store - I'd love some Survivor buffs but they don't post outside the US!

:groan:

James

Offline Jeffrey Scott

• Jenius
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 08:56:49 AM »
James, you just need to make friends with an American who will order a buff for you and send it to you.  :js:

I'm going to the DVD store again tomorrow. Anyone wanta price check on anything?

Offline cinni

• mind is tiffany twisted
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • defying gravity
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
in canada, our local satellite company is playing survivor on weekends on the prime/tropica-something station. the channel used to be called prime (east and west) but is tropic-something now. they started with the first season and are just moving through them. i just watched survivor africa, episode 4 on sunday. planning to watch the next one as i think that was the twist week where they shuffled the tribes and silas got his just desserts. the games net work does play amazing race as well but i keep missing it.
always remember....when life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!