Author Topic: Friday Night Lights  (Read 9752 times)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
Friday Night Lights
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:07:13 AM »
This is truly a great drama!!  Love it!  What a powerful, exciting cast and storyline!  It is very fast paced, so there's a lot crammed into each episode, but it's done in a way that one can keep up with it.   

Friday Night Lights airs Wednesday nights at 8:00 EST on NBC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_Lights_%28TV_series%29

The series debuted on October 3, 2006
Synopsis: The series is "inspired by" the book and the movie Friday Night Lights, not based on it.
Set in current times, the action takes place in fictional Dillon, Texas. The actual city of filming is Austin, TX. The fictional Dillon High, its football team and the strong community support (inspired by the huge devotion to high school football in Texas) are the main settings, but Friday Night Lights also will be about families, friendships, dreams, hardships, and heartbreaks.

Characters:

Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) — The first-year coach of the Dillon Panthers. Under immense pressure to succeed, he constantly is conflicted between what is right and what will win. Doesn't seem to approve of his daughter and Matt Saracen dating. 

>> Rudy's predictions:  Kyle Chandler will win an award &/or receive a nomination at some point for his portrayal of CoachTaylor.  He is excellent in this role & deserves an Emmy! :yess:  Same for Connie Britton who plays his wife.  Actually, the whole cast & the Show deserves awards!!  :tup:
Tami Taylor (Connie Britton) — The wife of Eric Taylor and mother of Julie Taylor and a guidance counselor at Dillon High. Often acts as the voice of reason to Coach Taylor.

Julie Taylor (Aimee Teegarden) — Daughter of Eric and Tami Taylor. Also attends Dillon High School, but in the past, hasn't associated much with the team. Recently has been dating Matt Saracen.

Jason Street (Scott Porter) — The former starting quarterback of the Dillon Panthers. Was one of the top high school quarterbacks in the nation, but suffered a severe spinal injury in the first game of the season that left him physically disabled and with limited use of his hands. Now must deal with rehab and life after football and his ex-girlfriend's cheating on him with Riggins.

Lyla Garrity (Minka Kelly) — Ex-girlfriend of Jason Street and Panthers cheerleader. With Jason looking at extensive rehab after a catastrophic injury, Lyla must deal with emotional conflict between staying with Jason or moving on. Recently cheated on Jason with Tim Riggins.

Tyra Collette (Adrianne Palicki) — Tim Riggins' on-again, off-again girlfriend. The town "vixen" of Dillon.

Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford) — The former backup, now starting quarterback of the Dillon Panthers. Lacks the talent and polish of Jason Street but his passion and heart have led the Panthers to a winning season since taking over. Must deal with sudden fame and prominence after remaining aloof both on and off the field for years. Lives alone with his grandmother, who seems emotionally ill. Recently has been dating Julie Taylor; very nervous with Julie.

Brian "Smash" Williams (Gaius Charles) — The running back of the Dillon Panthers. The most talented player on the team and is most likely to succeed in at the college level. His desperation to get to the next level leads him to take drastic measures.

Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) — The fullback of the Dillon Panthers. Best friend to Jason Street, but is in love with his girlfriend, and recently had an affair with her. Sullen and morose, he is the silent backbone of the Dillon Panthers football team. Appears to have suffered from alcoholism. Lives with his older brother, as parents skipped out on them.

Critical response:
The series debuted to strong critical reviews. Virginia Heffernan wrote for the New York Times that "if the season is anything like the pilot, this new drama about high school football could be great — and not just television great, but great in the way of a poem or painting..." The Washington Post similarly praised the series as "extraordinary in just about every conceivable way."

In a strong endorsement of the show, the American Film Institute named it one of the ten best television programs of the 2006-2007 season during its annual awards, with the show joining established critical favorites such as The West Wing, 24, The Wire, The Office, and Battlestar Galactica.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
Re: Friday Night Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
Hey Trevor,

I'm purdy sure you're a fan of FNL, right?  Thought I saw a post from you somewhere that you liked this cool show!  If so, I'd love to hear your comments!  ARe you still watching it?  Do you still like it? 

Thanks!
Ruday  :waves:

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »
I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this show. For a show where the main characters are in high school the plots and the character development is excellent. This is easily my favorite new show.

Offline CeeeJay

• " Miss. Thang !"
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Save A Horse...Ride a Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »
i've tried getting into it..but just couldn't...all i keep seeing the same episode of the formal everytime i turn it on!
~Honesty Is The Best Policy, But Insanity Is A Better Defense~
~Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Don't Have Film~

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:18:37 AM »
I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this show. For a show where the main characters are in high school the plots and the character development is excellent. This is easily my favorite new show.
It's good to see someone else besides me is a Fan of this great show!! 

I love Coach Taylor!  (Kyle Chandler is perfect for that part.)  Taylor's wife is sooo good at "acting as the voice of reason" to her hot headed hubby & she's an excellent high school counselor as well.  I like how she can counsel her hubby at school AND at home, but she maintains her role...either counselor or wife!  She's amazing. 
The whole cast is amazing and it's just so refreshing from the new detective or lawyer shows. (except Shark!  I do love that show.)   

FNL's is my favorite new show also, Kates.  Season 1 will continue next Wednesday. :yess:

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:09 PM »

I love Coach Taylor!  (Kyle Chandler is perfect for that part.)  Taylor's wife is sooo good at "acting as the voice of reason" to her hot headed hubby & she's an excellent high school counselor as well.  I like how she can counsel her hubby at school AND at home, but she maintains her role...either counselor or wife!  She's amazing. 
The whole cast is amazing and it's just so refreshing from the new detective or lawyer shows. (except Shark!  I do love that show.)   

FNL's is my favorite new show also, Kates.  Season 1 will continue next Wednesday. :yess:

I agree I really hope the both get Emmy nominations cause they deserve them. I know this show hasn't gotten the best ratings but the plot, the writing, the characters, everything is just phenomenal.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:20:31 PM »
 :yess: :yess: :yess: !!

When the show begins again, let's comment on each ep, ok Kates?  (and anyone else who watches it! 
:hhello: :hhello:
...any more Friday Night Lights fans out there?!)

Trevor is a fan...:hhello:  Trevor....

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:11:56 PM »
Im ready for this season :)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »
Hey Mama...Thanks for posting here!  Cool!  :jumpy:

Me too...sooo ready for FNL Season 2!  Now we have Fan Kates and also Trevor, but he never did reply to this thread. :( I'm gonna hafta round him up and tie him up or somethun! ;D

(I'll send him a PM. :tup: )

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 05:15:30 PM »

FNL's is my favorite new show also, Kates.  Season 1 will continue next Wednesday. :yess:
I agree I really hope the both get Emmy nominations cause they deserve them. I know this show hasn't gotten the best ratings but the plot, the writing, the characters, everything is just phenomenal.
I think the nominations are partly based upon show reviews etc,,,if it looks like it will be a big hit, as well as the performances, etc
IMO, it was a big hit, but other shows aired in the same time slots.  That didn't help FNL!  The viewers didn't even give it a chance.  I didn't start watching it until Ep 4 or 5, b/c I watched another new series...Jericho I think.  But after I gave FNL a chance, I was taping one/watching the other! 
(I really need two TVs and vcrs! :lol:

Well, in Seas2, I hope the professional critics will take a much closer look at the show and the actors & give it a FAIR evaluation.
 :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:  (or maybe 5 thums up!! )

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 02:44:28 AM »
Did you ever round up Trevor? You can borrow my herding dogs if you need to ;) And my 3 year old is good with a lasso. Just kidding!

Rudy, you need tivo lol.

I don't know how well its going to go with it being on friday nights since its got an audience of what I would think - teenagers. Hmm.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
Nope, I have not rounded up Trevor.  I must do that.  We could use his feedback for FNL in this thread for sure! 

I wish I could buy a tivo, Mama, but can't right now.  Maybe Santa will be good to me & put one under my tree?  ha ha  ;)

Good point about FNL airing on Friday nites.  But other shows have made it after being moved from a different night...Ghost Whisperer/Close to Home on CBS and Monk/Pysch on USA, back to back.  I watch and record all those shows.  FNL is at 9pm MST.  I hope there's NOTHING else on Fri nite that would be a serious threat to FNL!! 

What we need to do is join FNL fan clubs & offer full support for the show, give our feedback, write letters to NBC  B:) B:)

Picket? :lol:  Well, hope it doesn't come down to that!!  Heaven forbid. :groan:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 05:33:12 PM »
i've tried getting into it..but just couldn't...all i keep seeing the same episode of the formal everytime i turn it on!
I'm sorry CJ, I'm not sure what you mean by "same episode of the formal evertime..."  What formal??  ???  Could you elaborate please?  Thanks!  :hugs:

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 12:10:31 AM »
Excerpt from an article about the Emmy noms...including FNL.

Posted: Thurs., Jul. 19, 2007, 8:05am PT

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117968824.html?nav=news&categoryid=1985&cs=1

Despite being credited with launching the reality competition boom in 2000, “Survivor” has never won the Emmy for reality competition. Another CBS skein -- “The Amazing Race” -- has snagged the statuette each of the past four years.

Burnett wasn’t alone in feeling jilted by Emmy.

Expectations were low at Universal Media Studios-produced “Friday Night Lights,” with an outstanding drama nom considered a longshot. But the complete snubbing of the cast--particularly leads Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler -- is a major disappointment.  Peacock skein did manage to get nominated for helmer Peter Berg’s direction of the pilot.

“It’s incredibly rare for first year shows to get nominated,” said Universal Media Studios prexy Katherine Pope, saying she was happy to see Berg nommed and the show’s casting director recognized.

“I feel confident we’ll get a best drama nomination next year,” Pope added.

---------------
Well, that is actually rather encouraging for FNL...not only that the casting director was recognized, but that they do have a chance of getting awards for the upcoming season. 
Just hope there will be plenty of diehard viewers, even though it's on Friday night!

Offline MamaTo4boys

• Mama
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »
It starts 3 weeks from today!  I can't wait!!

Im really nervous about who is taking over for Coach Taylor. But im sure it will be fine, just hard to adjust to.

I had a dream that they named their son (we don't even know if its a boy or girl) Dillion. I doubt they would take it that far/cheesey hahaha!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
Source:
http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?sls_id=20946&ref_type=101&ref_id=58137&tag=updates;title;0

'Friday Night Lights' Hires New Coach

Chris Mulkey joins NBC series in recurring part

With Eric Taylor setting off for Austin, the Dillon Panthers needed a new coach. They now have one.

Veteran actor Chris Mulkey ("Twin Peaks," "Broken Trail") has joined the cast of NBC's second-year series, a network rep confirms. He'll have a recurring role as the new coach of the Dillon High School football team, who takes over after Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) moves on to the college ranks at the fictional TMU (Chandler will still be front and center on the show, however). The new coach, who arrives from outside Dillon, brings a my-way-or-the-highway approach with him and revamps the team's game plan. Naturally, this causes friction with some of the players, with new assistant coach Jason Street (Scott Porter) sometimes getting caught in the middle.

Mulkey is the third new face to join "Friday Night Lights" for the coming season. Glenn Morshower ("24") and Daniella Alonso ("One Tree Hill") will also have recurring parts as, respectively, Landry's (Jesse Plemons) police-officer dad and a nurse who helps Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford) care for his grandmother (Louanne Stephens).

Mulkey co-starred in AMC's multiple Emmy nominee "Broken Trail" last year and also counts a recurring role on "Twin Peaks" and FOX's brilliant-but-cancelled comedy "Bakersfield PD" among his credits.

He's also appeared in the films "North Country," "Sugar Town" and "Behind Enemy Lines" and made guest appearances on such shows as "CSI," "Lost" and "Boomtown."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 11:39:12 PM »
I just watched Friday Night Lights for a research for my novel that I currently write, and I can say that I'm instantly hooked with this show!

It's just really great and amazing, it captures the spirit of live in a small town, where football and family matter and everything.
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 06:24:14 AM »
i've finished watching friday night lights, and after watching its finale, i cried, like a lot. friday night lights is just such an amazing show with a top notch script and performances, and i'm so emotionally infested to the show. god, it is one of the best tv shows that i've ever watched.
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here