General > TV Shows that are NOT Reality

Friday Night Lights

(1/4) > >>

RudyRules:
This is truly a great drama!!  Love it!  What a powerful, exciting cast and storyline!  It is very fast paced, so there's a lot crammed into each episode, but it's done in a way that one can keep up with it.   

Friday Night Lights airs Wednesday nights at 8:00 EST on NBC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_Lights_%28TV_series%29

The series debuted on October 3, 2006
Synopsis: The series is "inspired by" the book and the movie Friday Night Lights, not based on it.
Set in current times, the action takes place in fictional Dillon, Texas. The actual city of filming is Austin, TX. The fictional Dillon High, its football team and the strong community support (inspired by the huge devotion to high school football in Texas) are the main settings, but Friday Night Lights also will be about families, friendships, dreams, hardships, and heartbreaks.

Characters:

Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) — The first-year coach of the Dillon Panthers. Under immense pressure to succeed, he constantly is conflicted between what is right and what will win. Doesn't seem to approve of his daughter and Matt Saracen dating. 

>> Rudy's predictions:  Kyle Chandler will win an award &/or receive a nomination at some point for his portrayal of CoachTaylor.  He is excellent in this role & deserves an Emmy! :yess:  Same for Connie Britton who plays his wife.  Actually, the whole cast & the Show deserves awards!!  :tup:
Tami Taylor (Connie Britton) — The wife of Eric Taylor and mother of Julie Taylor and a guidance counselor at Dillon High. Often acts as the voice of reason to Coach Taylor.

Julie Taylor (Aimee Teegarden) — Daughter of Eric and Tami Taylor. Also attends Dillon High School, but in the past, hasn't associated much with the team. Recently has been dating Matt Saracen.

Jason Street (Scott Porter) — The former starting quarterback of the Dillon Panthers. Was one of the top high school quarterbacks in the nation, but suffered a severe spinal injury in the first game of the season that left him physically disabled and with limited use of his hands. Now must deal with rehab and life after football and his ex-girlfriend's cheating on him with Riggins.

Lyla Garrity (Minka Kelly) — Ex-girlfriend of Jason Street and Panthers cheerleader. With Jason looking at extensive rehab after a catastrophic injury, Lyla must deal with emotional conflict between staying with Jason or moving on. Recently cheated on Jason with Tim Riggins.

Tyra Collette (Adrianne Palicki) — Tim Riggins' on-again, off-again girlfriend. The town "vixen" of Dillon.

Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford) — The former backup, now starting quarterback of the Dillon Panthers. Lacks the talent and polish of Jason Street but his passion and heart have led the Panthers to a winning season since taking over. Must deal with sudden fame and prominence after remaining aloof both on and off the field for years. Lives alone with his grandmother, who seems emotionally ill. Recently has been dating Julie Taylor; very nervous with Julie.

Brian "Smash" Williams (Gaius Charles) — The running back of the Dillon Panthers. The most talented player on the team and is most likely to succeed in at the college level. His desperation to get to the next level leads him to take drastic measures.

Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) — The fullback of the Dillon Panthers. Best friend to Jason Street, but is in love with his girlfriend, and recently had an affair with her. Sullen and morose, he is the silent backbone of the Dillon Panthers football team. Appears to have suffered from alcoholism. Lives with his older brother, as parents skipped out on them.

Critical response:
The series debuted to strong critical reviews. Virginia Heffernan wrote for the New York Times that "if the season is anything like the pilot, this new drama about high school football could be great — and not just television great, but great in the way of a poem or painting..." The Washington Post similarly praised the series as "extraordinary in just about every conceivable way."

In a strong endorsement of the show, the American Film Institute named it one of the ten best television programs of the 2006-2007 season during its annual awards, with the show joining established critical favorites such as The West Wing, 24, The Wire, The Office, and Battlestar Galactica.

RudyRules:
Hey Trevor,

I'm purdy sure you're a fan of FNL, right?  Thought I saw a post from you somewhere that you liked this cool show!  If so, I'd love to hear your comments!  ARe you still watching it?  Do you still like it? 

Thanks!
Ruday  :waves:

BballKates:
I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this show. For a show where the main characters are in high school the plots and the character development is excellent. This is easily my favorite new show.

CeeeJay:
i've tried getting into it..but just couldn't...all i keep seeing the same episode of the formal everytime i turn it on!

RudyRules:

--- Quote from: BballKates on March 16, 2007, 02:34:37 PM ---I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this show. For a show where the main characters are in high school the plots and the character development is excellent. This is easily my favorite new show.

--- End quote ---
It's good to see someone else besides me is a Fan of this great show!! 

I love Coach Taylor!  (Kyle Chandler is perfect for that part.)  Taylor's wife is sooo good at "acting as the voice of reason" to her hot headed hubby & she's an excellent high school counselor as well.  I like how she can counsel her hubby at school AND at home, but she maintains her role...either counselor or wife!  She's amazing. 
The whole cast is amazing and it's just so refreshing from the new detective or lawyer shows. (except Shark!  I do love that show.)   

FNL's is my favorite new show also, Kates.  Season 1 will continue next Wednesday. :yess:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version